Chapter 11 ♥♥♥

To the Beautiful you...

 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Tmsfr3c74

 

Tae-joon storms out, his blood boiling after Hanna’s public declaration. Jae-hee chases after him to tell him that she has something important to say. I don’t think now’s the time to make your big reveal to an angry teenager but who am I to stop you?

But she stumbles over the first few words and Tae-joon swoops in, “Later. Let’s talk about it later.” Later’s gonna be too late.

Hanna ignores calls from Director Jang and finds Tae-joon waiting up for her outside.

They relocate to a cafe and Tae-joon asks why she went through with the love confession. She plays dumb and that he finally bursts in anger. Is it all a joke to her? Did she find it amusing?

It’s neither and Hanna’s voice starts to waver. Her feelings towards Tae-joon is no secret and he’s a completely different person after Jae-hee walked into their lives. Who is Jae-hee to suddenly appear out of thin air and come between them?

When he answers that he’ll take care of Jae-hee, Hanna pinpoints why Tae-joon chose to pretend not to know the truth that Jae-hee’s a girl. She confronts him – does he like her?

Tae-joon looks away to which Hanna shrills, “Why can’t you answer me?!” She lays down an ultimatum: either date her or kick Jae-hee out.

Meanwhile, Jae-hee has another therapy session with Sangchu, wondering how mad Tae-joon would be if he found out the truth. But it’s better that she tells him herself than hearing it from someone else, right? Sangchu listens and Jae-hee cries.

Eun-gyul takes out his frustration on the field, practicing penalty kicks. He thinks back to when Jae-hee’s admission that Tae-joon was the reason why she was here and her curiosity to his big news. Then I half-expect that ball that hits the goalpost to hit Coach’s head.

He’s not the only one dragging his feet and runs into Jae-hee. It’s an awkward moment and they both do their best to hide their glum moods. He walks towards her, at first thinking it’s sweat on her face and then corrects himself, “Have you been crying?”

Jae-hee denies it and despite Eun-gyul’s concern, she brushes it under the rug.

It starts to rain and Jae-hee stands outside waiting for Tae-joon. She’s quick to cover him with her umbrella and later that night, everyone lies in bed, unable to fall asleep.

Hanna’s love confession is the talk of the town by the following morning and Tae-joon’s fanclub even coordinates a protest against Hanna. Director Jang is just about to pull her hair at the mattress while at school, Tae-joon seethes at the classmates’ sneers of sarcastic congratulations.

Jae-hee takes refuge in the laundry room and we flashback to an earlier conversation with Jung-hoon who wore his lucky hat to hear Jae-hee’s answer. At her pause, he removes it, bracing himself for what’s to come.

She tells him that he’s like a big brother oppa to her and he interrupts, “I know this is a compliment, but my heart’s telling me not to overdo it.” He’s heard his answer and Jae-hee apologizes for being unable to return his feelings.

He takes the rejection like a man and keeps his tone light-hearted to avoid making her feel too guilty. He does, however, leave her with an encouraging word, “Remember that I’m always on your side.”

Back in the present, Jae-hee is pleasantly surprised by Happy Virus Eun-gyul who tries to cheer her up with an impromptu hand sock-puppet show. The puppets fight over how they smell (ew) and clarify that they’re socks (yangmal) and not onions (yangpa). Cute and punny.

She notes that he was absent and Eun-gyul replies that he overslept. He in turn asks why she does her laundry daily and jokes that it’s not like she’s a girl or anything. Mmhm. The real reason reveals itself anyway when he reaches in and pulls out Tae-joon’s clothes.

Eun-gyul swallows hard and asks, “I know it’s an absurd question but… do you like Tae-joon?” Woah, what’s up with the second leads asking all these direct questions today?

Jae-hee reacts in surprise and denial and there’s a flash of bewilderment in Eun-gyul’s eyes before he laughs off the moment as usual. When she leaves, we can tell that her hesitation bothers him.

Both Tae-joon and Hanna are called to the agency and neither are particularly happy to see the other. Tae-joon instructs Hanna to come clean to Director Jang. Hanna dangles that carrot of the truth in front of him: sure she’ll say they’re not dating but she’ll also reveal that Jae-hee’s a girl.

Tae-joon has no choice but to abide by Hanna’s warning to keep his mouth shut while Director Jang rips a new one into them both. She’s more disappointed in Tae-joon than Hanna who aegyos, Don’t be so hard on Oppa!

Time to do some damage control and she orders that everything will be transmitted through the company.

He’s quick to get out of there as fast as possible, rejecting Hanna’s invite to lunch. Before Hanna can run to catch him, she receives a text from Jae-hee.

Eun-gyul is sideswept in shock after he belatedly hears the news about Tae-joon’s dating scandal. Now Jae-hee’s dejected mood makes sense and he pulls Tae-joon aside to have a man to man talk on their own.

He gets straight to the point and asks, “What do you think of Jae-hee?” He repeats it when Tae-joon reacts in surprise and he adds, “Do you like Jae-hee?” If he doesn’t, Tae-joon should admit it now.

Tae-joon deflects it and Eun-gyul’s suspicion radar dings – Tae-joon’s dating Hanna but why can’t he give a straight answer? Ooh. Tae-joon remains vague and Eun-gyul stops him and warns, “From now on, no matter what it is… don’t make Jae-hee cry anymore.”

Why? Eun-gyul makes it perfectly clear, “Because I don’t want the person I like to cry because of you. I like Gu Jae-hee.” So Tae-joon better straighten up his act and not make Jae-hee’s heart waver anymore. Damn those are bold words. Good for you Eun-gyul!

The girls have a chat of their own and Hanna voices her displeasure about their meeting. She scoffs when Jae-hee asks why Hanna hasn’t told Tae-joon that she knows the truth about Jae-hee’s identity. Hanna: “Is that what you were worried about? Should I go tell him now?”

Hanna has a question of her own: why did Jae-hee come here? Is she a sasaeng fan? Hanna places her foot down that Tae-joon is dating her. She gets up to leave and Jae-hee begs to let her tell Tae-joon the truth herself.

Hanna: “Don’t tell him.” Until she gives Jae-hee permission, she’ll remain acting like a boy.

Jae-hee returns drained and even more out of sorts than before. Tae-joon covers up his jealousy that she was out with a friend by getting worked up. He almost forgets himself, “Do you know how many scary-” Scary what? Guys? Muggers?

He tells her not to stay out late, adding that it bothers him. She misinteprets this and thinks that she’s hit past his 40 decibel boundary and apologizes. Tae-joon walks towards her to straighten things out and his hand accidentally lands on her chest.

They stand there awkwardly for a minute and then Jae-hee cries out in pain. Menstruation cramps? Tae-joon excuses himself, running out the door. He takes a deep breath and puts a hand over his rapidly beating heart.

She visits Doc who simply asks if she caused trouble again. But she’s here to ask for some “sanitary pads” and Doc sighs, Really? I gotta do this for you too?

Tae-joon returns from his run and hands Jae-hee some meds to relieve her stomach pain. Awww. He sits in his bed below the loft, smiling.

Jong-min waits for Eun-gyul, hung up about how he hasn’t returned yet. He and Seung-ri make enough of a ruckus to interrupt Hyun-jae’s studying time. Kids study in Genie High – who knew? And Seung-ri, who’d been doubled over laughing over his manhwa now bends over in pain.

Tae-joon confides in Sangchu about how he can’t subject himself to Hanna anymore and that he’ll need to find another solution to Jae-hee’s secret. Sangchu barks in agreement.

His text to Hanna distracts her during practice and she lands on her foot incorrectly. Ouch. Tae-joon has just returned back to the dorm after he was unable to meet Hanna. He has something important to tell Jae-hee but an urgent call from the hospital interrupts them.

Once Tae-joon gets to the hospital, Director Jang pulls him aside for a word. We don’t get to hear the conversation but then we see Tae-joon enter Hanna’s room with a solemn expression.

Hanna voices her complaints in her usual manner, clucking that her “boyfriend” should have dashed over sooner to attend to her. It’s just an ankle sprain she says but Tae-joon’s concern suggests that things are more serious than they appear. Hanna mentions Tae-joon’ text – didn’t he have something to tell her?

Flashback to his earlier conversation with Director Jang. Sure enough, Hanna’s injury could be severe and she drops the bomb that it may be the end to Hanna’s rhythmic gymnast career.

Despite Hanna’s prickly personality, she’s a skilled and hardworking athlete and Director Jang wonders, “What was she thinking about that she would make that kind of mistake?”

Even though Hanna’s not that likeable, it kills me that she brushes off her injury like it’s no big deal. She tests the waters and mentions that she’d like something to eat and Tae-joon jumps up, more than willing.

That surprises her and she admits that his company is good enough for her. She’s afraid to sleep alone tonight and asks if he can stay overnight with her. Tae-joon agrees and then sends a text to Jae-hee.

Hanna talks about all the things she wants to do with Tae-joon now that they’ve gone public with their “relationship.” Tae-joon doesn’t answer and tucks her into bed like the experienced caretaker he is. He steps out for a moment and Hanna muses to herself, “I’m glad I got hurt.”

Just then, Tae-joon’s phone dings and Hanna checks to see a response text from Jae-hee. She deletes it.

Looks like Seung-ri’s stomach pains have landed him in the hospital as well and he hilariously mistakes Tae-joon that he’s here to visit him. “But you sure got here late.” Tae-joon clarifies that he has “a friend” hospitalized here as well and Seung-ri laughs off the awkward moment.

They’re joined by Seung-ri’s father, a doctor at the hospital. Seung-ri ears perk up when his father namedrops about Hanna. He overtly expresses his worry about her and has to be dragged away by the ear by his father.

Tae-joon and Jae-hee stay up, both waiting for a response text that will never come.

Morning. Jae-hee wakes to see Tae-joon packing a bag to spend his time at the hospital. She asks if Hanna’s condition is serious and he tells her that Hanna might be unable to train again.

In class, the boys whoop and laugh when they learn that Tae-joon’s missing to be by Hanna’s bedside. Jong-min gripes that Eun-gyul is absent yet again and Jae-hee sits there even more downcast, if that’s even possible at this point.

Director Jang resolves that they can’t keep the truth hidden from Hanna. Her parents won’t be returning from Europe until the following evening but they can’t put off her treatment any longer. Tae-joon steps up to be the bearer of bad news.

He walks in to see Hanna excitedly drawing up a list of all the foods she was barred from eating during training. Tae-joon sits down and chooses his words, “I have something to tell you…” Isn’t that the fifth time I’ve heard those words this episode?

Hanna grows nervous as Tae-joon places her hand in his and she asks, “What? What is it?”

We see Jae-hee just outside bearing flowers for Hanna. She opens the door and sees Hanna sobbing on Tae-joon’s shoulder as he pats her back to comfort her. She turns back and leaves.

She spends the rest of the afternoon cleaning and later, Hyun-jae runs in asking Jae-hee if she hasn’t heard from Eun-gyul left. Hyun-jae hopes that he hasn’t gone to do something stupid since he seemed pretty dejected ever since he didn’t make the national team.

That’s news to Jae-hee and Hyun-jae clucks in disappointment that he thought they were such good friends. How could he not pay enough attention to what’s going on with him? She asks for Eun-gyul’s home address.

Sure enough, that’s where he’s been spending his days and his mother asks if he’s not going to school today either. He asks why she keeps asking him that if she’s the one who’s sick. Mom laughs that it’s no big deal and her surgery date is set. Hmm.

Next thing we know he’s surprised to see Jae-hee outside his house. He takes her to a spot overlooking the city and muses, “Whenever I sit here and don’t think of anything, it really feels like I’m not thinking of anything. It calms me down too.”

Jae-hee asks after why Eun-gyul didn’t mention that he didn’t make the national team and apologizes for not paying attention to him enough. Is that why he hasn’t been at school or taking any calls?

He answers that he hasn’t shown up at school since Mom is sick and he lost his phone on his way here. When Jae-hee asks if her condition is serious, Eun-gyul admits that it’s an excuse because, “I ran away because there’s something I’m afraid of.”

He continues that it’s something he needed to think about outside of school and because he runs into it every day, he wondered if he was mistaken. But that wasn’t the case because those thoughts constantly nagged him here too.

He laughs when Jae-hee asks if it’s about soccer and Eun-gyul changes the subject. Jae-hee reminds him of when she mentioned that she came here because of Tae-joon. Now she wonders, “Maybe I shouldn’t have come.”

Eun-gyul’s heart goes thump thump again and he slowly slides closer to her. He lifts up a sympathetic arm of comfort and his hand is mere inches from her shoulder but he stops himself.

Tae-joon finds Hanna watching other rhythmic gymnasts (namely Son Yeon-jae) in her hospital room. She sends him out for another errand and then rifles through his pictures on his phone and stops at the one of Jae-hee playing basketball.

She forces a small smile when he comes back. She recalls when Tae-joon was firm that he wouldn’t jump in the qualifiers but all of a sudden he changed his mind. “Was that… because of Gu Jae-hee?” Tae-joon nods.

He remains silent when Hanna asks if he actually likes her. Hanna: “But what will you do if I don’t let you go?” He’s a boy not a toy honey.

She cries, “There’s nothing left for me anymore. If you leave too, I don’t know how I’m going to live.*” So she can’t, no won’t, let him go. Tae-joon takes all of this in silence.

Eun-gyul watches from the porch as Jae-hee happily plays with his puppy. But then she sits down, looking forlorn. He says out loud, “Jae-hee, I don’t think I can see you hurting anymore.”

He walks into the kitchen and gives Mom a side hug. He apologizes and when Mom says for what, he replies, “I may do something that shames you in the future.” And hilariously, Mom snaps if he got caused trouble (as in, getting a girl pregnant? Oh, Mom.) and then lists off all the other possibilities – his grades? Did he steal money?

Eun-gyul insists that it’s none of those but it’s too late – Dad has overheard the latter part of the conversation. He chases his son around with a golf club yelling, “I told you not to take anything that isn’t yours!” Haha.

Back in the hospital, Hanna says that there’s somewhere she wants to go outside of the hospital. Tae-joon wheels her into a darkened gynasium and Hanna muses that if she didn’t get injured, she would have competed today.

Tae-joon tries to boost her morale that she just needs to continue to do rehab but Hanna wonders if that’s really true. She offers to show him her routine and he tells her to take it easy.

So she takes off her shoes and then performs her heart out, pushing through her pain and hopping on her good leg. We flashback to when they were kids and promised each other that they would get gold medals in their respective sports.

She takes a step on her injured foot which sends her crashing to the floor in pain. Tae-joon immediately reacts and starts towards her but then stops himself, kneeling on the floor beside her.

Crying now, Hanna kisses the floor mat and says, “Thanks for everything. Now… goodbye.”

Tae-joon tucks Hanna into her hospital bed. He checks the time and then tells her that he should tell her the truth. But before he can, she sends him away – she wants to be alone now.

He insists that he’ll stay until her parents arrive but Hanna presses for him to go. She forces out, “I’m a little sick of you now.” She’s sick of chasing after someone who hates her and she liked the gold medalist Tae-joon. Aww no one believes you but if that’s what it takes to preserve your pride.

Her voice wavers, “But you’re not good at sports anymore and not charming either.” So she’s going to put her feelings to rest and there are plenty of other fish in the sea. She’s the type who gets sick of things easily and she’s been holding it in for a while.

She drills in the final nail in the coffin. “Hurry on and go. Because I don’t want to see your face right now.”

Eun-gyul and Jae-hee arrive back at school after a silent car ride. Before Jae-hee enters her room, Eun-gyul calls after her. He walks towards her with determination in his steps, “I have something to tell you.”

He warns her not to be too surprised and she asks what it is. Eun-gyul: “I know that you’re a guy…”

And we pan back to see Tae-joon walk in to see the two of them. Cut back to Eun-gyul who finishes, “Gu Jae-hee… I like you.”

 

COMMENTS

Eun-gyul, bless your heart – loving a cardboard sheet is no easy task. But kudos for you to overlook it anyway.

Our second leads really took the cake this episode and I didn’t miss Jae-hee or Tae-joon in the slightest. They’ll continue to circle the “I know-you-don’t-know-I-know-but-I-want-to-tell-you-I-know *ring ring*” so we’re not going to be missing much for now. It’s really the writing here that makes our second leads so much richer and the acting that carries those emotions through.

Hanna has been a superficial character so far with splashes of  moments that made us wonder if she loved Oppa like any fan or like a little sister who won’t let her security blanket go. And this is the first episode where I found her not completely unlikeable. She may have started rhythmic gymnastics because of  Tae-joon but like Director Jang mentioned, there’s no doubt that despite appearances, Hanna works hard to become the best.  How much of that is about Tae-joon versus her own passion by now is debatable. It’s then cruel irony that she injures herself and her dreams are dashed by the same person who placed it there in the first place.

This episode was fantastic for Eun-gyul who up to now has been struggling with his heart about his feelings for Jae-hee. His identity crisis and inferiority complex are issues that every teenager faces and it’s got to kill when you feel like you’re second best. But for this episode, I loved that confidence in his feelings where he’s not afraid to admit it to both his rival and his crush when the time calls for it.

Because if I have to hear another “I have something to tell you” and I don’t get an answer, drama – I will put you in detention.