Replaced

The Bet

 

Tiffany called her dad who was at work.
 
"Yes, Miyoung?"
 
Tiffany sighed, "Don't call me that."
 
"Alright, sorry, now why did you call?"
 
Tiffany bit her lip while Taeyeon squeezed her hand assuringly.
 
"I need to tell you something important."
 
"Ah! That reminds me of something, I have to tell you something important also. I'll come home tonight with a guest, dress nice."
 
Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows, "But dad---"
 
"Honey, I need to work, I'll see you tonight."
 
"But.." Tiffany trailed off even though her father hung up on her.
 
Taeyeon looked at her with a creased forehead, "What happened?"
 
Tiffany stared into space, "He said he was going to bring a guest, for me to wear something nice."
 
Taeyeon frowned, "What about me?"
 
Tiffany snapped back to reality and hugging Taeyeon, "You're not leaving, you're staying."
 
"But your dad---"
 
Tiffany shut Taeyeon up with a kiss on the lips, " My dad --- what?" Tiffany asked breathlessly.
 
Taeyeon shrugged, "I forgot."
 
Tiffany smiled in satisfaction, "That's what I thought." 
 
"Don't you need to dress up?" Taeyeon asked.
 
Tiffany shrugged and cuddled closer to Taeyeon, "I'm too lazy."
 
---
 
The door opened, waking both Taeyeon and Tiffany up from their nap.
 
"Miyoung!" it was her father.
 
Tiffany grabbed Taeyeons hand quickly, interlocking it with hers as she went to greet her father. Mr. Hwang looked at the shorter girl that was beside his daughter. She bowed, "Hello, I'm Kim Taeyeon."
 
Mr. Hwang smiled in response, "I'm Tiffany's father."
 
Another figure walked through the door, making Tiffany's breath stop.
 
"Why is he here?" she said, holding back her tears as she stared at Nickhun.
 
"He's the guest I was talking about, and didn't I tell you to dress up formally?" Mr. Hwang said, not noticing the tears in Tiffanys eyes.
 
Taeyeon squeezed Tiffanys hand, noticing her tense lover. Tiffany looked down and Taeyeon saw the tears in her eyes.
 
Mr. Hwang looked at the girls oddly. "Tiffany, he is your new husband."
 
Both girls heart dropped, turning their heads to Mr. Hwang.
 
"You're kidding, right?" Tiffany scoffed.
 
Nickhun smiled, "He's not kidding, it's me, Tiff."
 
Tiffany softened when she heard the familiar nick name that Nickhun had given her. Taeyeon felt jealous as she saw Tiffany making eye contact with Nickhun. It was as if Tiffany had forgotten Taeyeon was there.
 
Mr. Hwang clapped, "Then it's settled, your marriage is in a week."
 
Taeyeons eyes widened upon hearing this but Tiffany ignored him, still looking at Nickhun.
 
Taeyeon clenched her teeth, letting go of her grip on Tiffanys hand. Tiffany still didn't notice her. 
 
Taeyeon let a tear fall, was I this easy to replace?
 
She ran out of the house, shoving past Nickhun. It was only then that Tiffany had remembered about Taeyeon.
 
She gasped, "Taeyeon!" she called out, running out the door. 
 
She saw the girl sitting on the side walk, burying her face in her hands. She was about to walk over until she was enveloped in the familiar embrace she had missed.
 
"I missed you." Nickhun said softly into Tiffanys ear.
 
And, just like that, Tiffany forgot about Taeyeon.
 
Taeyeon scoffed in disbelief.
 
"I knew I shouldn't have fallen in love with her." she muttered to herself as she got off the side walk. 
 
She had to walk past Tiffany to walk home. She kept her head low as the tears fell, seeing Tiffany in the mans arms.
 
Tiffany saw the figure walking by, "Taeyeon!"
 
Taeyeon stopped walking, but didn't face Tiffany as tears fell one by one.
 
Tiffany didn't know what to do, she could see the tears falling on the side walk. Nickhun grabbed her hand, interlocking it with his. Taeyeon looked over, and saw Tiffany holding hands with Nickhun while staring into his eyes.
 
"I didn't know I could easily be replaced by the one I love." Taeyeon whispered.
 
She her heel and ran as the tears continued to fall.
 
Tiffany stared into Nickhun's eyes, the ones she had missed. 
 
Taeyeon, who had enough of running, collapsed onto the sidewalk, crying as she held her chest to calm her broken heart.
 
"Taeyeon?" the voice called.
 
Taeyeon ignored them and continued to cry. The person kneeled in front of Taeyeon, "Taeyeon."
 
Taeyeon looked up and saw Leeteuk. For some reason, she was glad he was there.
 
"You alright?" he asked, worried.
 
Taeyeon shook her head and continued to cry. Leeteuk, who had no idea why she was crying, hugged her.
 
"Shh.. It's alright. Stop crying.." he comforted.
 
They sat on the sidewalk until Taeyeon stopped crying.
 
Leeteuk held her by her shoulders and looked at her pale face, "What's wrong?"
 
Taeyeon shook her head, "Nothing."
 
"Really? You cried for an hour over nothing?"
 
Taeyeon sighed, "I'm not in the mood."
 
Leeteuk nodded, "Alright, I'll walk you home."
 
They walked in silence until they reached Taeyeons house. Taeyeon was about to enter but she stopped and looked at Leeteuk.
 
"Leeteuk." she called.
 
Leeteuk looked at her, "Yea?"
 
"I hope we can be friends. I forgive you. But I just want us to be friends. Nothing more." Taeyeon said.
 
Leeteuk nodded and smiled, "Of course."
 
Taeyeon smiled a small smile before entering her house.
 
Leeteuk smiled to himself, being friends is better than being nothing.
 
Taeyeon cried herself to sleep.
 
Tiffany had replaced her instantly.