6

It Began With A Bet

 

Chanyeol walked up to Baekhyun’s locker the next morning with a smile plastered on his face. His smile quickly faded away though when he didn't find the older there. His eyebrows furrowed and he frowned slightly. Why was Baekhyun late? Chanyeol checked the time on his watch.
Baekhyun wasn't late, he himself was just early. He hadn't even spared a glance at the clock since he opened his eyes until now. So now, Chanyeol figured out he was about 15 minutes earlier than usual. All he was worrying about was to see Baekhyun before he went to class and now he had to wait.

There weren't much students either, he noticed as he leaned against Baekhyun’s locker. Just maybe 10 minutes later and tens of students came piling in and as usual he received glances from the majority of them.

What? What was so wrong about leaning on your boyfriend’s locker; it was perfectly normal. He knew they’d be judging him cause of that but whatever, he didn`t care. Chanyeol quickly stood up straight when he spotted Baekhyun walking through the entrance of the hallway. He put on a bright morning smile for Baekhyun.

“Good morning.” he greeted. Chanyeol’s grin only grew wider when Baekhyun smiled back shyly.

“Good morning.”

Neither of them said anything else, Chanyeol made room for Baekhyun to get to his locker as he only watched the shorter, his big smile still on his face. Baekhyun turned around and looked at Chanyeol silently.

Chanyeol gazed back at him, also silently. He felt weird and different, this time Chanyeol chose to glance at Baekhyun’s eyes and once he did he couldn’t turn back. They were so beautiful, more than beautiful, way way more than beautiful. Seriously, Chanyeol needed someone to make a whole new word to describe those dark brown orbs that were slowly dragging him in.

Baekhyun laughed lightly as Chanyeol jumped at the sound of the morning bell. It obviously scared the crap out of him while he was busy being captured and lost in Baekhyun’s eyes.

“I’ll go now.” Chanyeol said then he cringed; was it him or was that all they say to each other? They did talk yesterday but its not the same.

“Okay…bye.” Baekhyun turned his back to Chanyeol.

“Baekhyun,” he called out as he felt a sense of déjà vu right after. Baekhyun turned back around.

“See you at lun-“

“I know, I’ll come.” Baekhyun grinned.

 

 

And he did come to lunch, sat with Chanyeol and his friends just like the past two days and just like the past two days, bickering was going on nonstop at the table. Except today nothing really embarrassing happened to Baekhyun which made him very thankful. Although Kai’s and Kyungsoo’s arguments made him blush since Kai was being a big fat ert as usual. Then Luhan had to point out that he was blushing and all eyes shifted to him. They all left his face pretty quickly except a particular extremely tall guy between them.

Baekhyun peeped to his right and caught Chanyeol staring at him. After that Chanyeol didn't glance his way anymore during lunch period. Later, after school Baekhyun didn't bother argue about not riding in Chanyeol’s car; he climbed in the passenger seat almost as soon as Chanyeol led him to his car. He, like yesterday, lip-synced the song that was playing as he stared out the window.

They both enjoyed those four minutes of the car ride, not much talking went on, it was pretty much the same. When Baekhyun got off, Chanyeol didn’t pull out his driveway until the older boy was in his house safely. Right before leaving, Chanyeol let his eyes probe around Baekhyun’s neighbor’s house out of curiosity. 

The man he saw yesterday wasn't in sight.

 

***

 

The next day at lunch Luhan suggested that they, as a group should go out for some fun before spring break. Because apparently the pairs will each have their own plans starting Friday, which was tomorrow. Chanyeol didn't even know at first that their break was going to be beginning on Friday. He still didn't have any idea what he was going to do with Baekhyun. Chanyeol really needed to stir up an idea or else he’ll seem churlish in everyone’s eyes, especially Baekhyun’s.

He winced at the thought, Baekhyun was supposed to know that he was a nice, pleasant, and a generous person, not otherwise. Except sometimes when he’s angry he’ll lose his temper, but that’s just exceptional. And everyone does that, it’s a human thing.

“I’m thinking that we should go to the hideout.” Luhan said in a low voice.

“Woah, we haven’t been there in months.” Kyungsoo widened his eyes.

“I know, that’s why I’m saying we should go there. A little reunion.”Luhan glanced at Chanyeol and grinned.”And at least Chanyeol isn't alone this time.”

Before anyone can say anything, Kyungsoo quickly spoke again in an excited tone.”Okay…I’ll bring the snacks!”

“I’ll bring the mats.” Sehun added.”As usual.”

“I’ll bring the games.” Luhan chirped.

“I’ll bring myself and Chanyeol will give us the ride.” Kai announced with a proud smile.

“No.” Chanyeol refused.”It’s too small for all of us.”

“So what? We’ll just stuff ourselves in there.” Kai answered him with a shrug of his shoulders.”Problem solved.”


“Okay fine.” Chanyeol finally agreed after a long minute of thought.” But Baekhyun will sit in front with me, and you guys in the back. Stuffed.”

Kai shrugged again and smiled.”Fine with me. I’ll just sit in Soo’s lap.”

Kyungsoo scrunched his face and slapped Kai’s thigh.”No you’re not, you’ll crush me!”

“I won’t dare crush you baby, how about you sit in my lap then? Hmm?” Kai smirked at Kyungsoo.

“No one will sit on anyone’s lap, we’ll make room, I’m sure.” Kyungsoo replied with a stern look towards his now sulking boyfriend.

Everybody went silent and nearly froze when Baekhyun out of the blue, spoke, ”What would you like for me to bring?”

Baekhyun regretted talking because now everyone was looking at him, obviously surprised that he actually opened his mouth today. He was feeling like he wasn't being cooperative if he wasn't going to bring anything so he just had to ask. Besides, it was really kind of them to add him in just like that, he couldn't refuse going because no one asked him in the first place but what they did made him feel good and maybe even a bit special.

After a good few seconds of nothing said, Chanyeol smiled at Baekhyun and replied to his question.”Just bring yourself, like Kai.”

“But--” Baekhyun began but was cut off by Luhan’s sweet auntie-like tone.

“We have everything covered Baekhyun, don’t worry.”

Baekhyun didn't know what to say after that, he only nodded.

“So it’s after school we’ll meet.” Kyungsoo stated.”At four, because I need time to actually make the snacks.”

“Alrighty, Sehun you just come to my place and we’ll wait for Chanyeol to pick us up.” Sehun nodded happily at Luhan.

“Is four okay for you?” Chanyeol surprised Baekhyun with the question that was whispered to him.

“Yes.” he answered, nodding his head elegantly.

Chanyeol smiled down at Baekhyun and when Baekhyun looked up the next second he couldn't help but return Chanyeol’s smile with a pretty smile of his own. Chanyeol could have sworn that his heart skipped a beat but he let that go. For a minute it felt like there was no one but them two in the place. They gazed into each other’s eyes until Baekhyun’s cheeks were turning a pink shade from the soft gaze Chanyeol was giving him.

However their rare moment was interrupted when Kai kicked Chanyeol’s leg under the table.Chanyeol gave the younger a death glare and Kai only smirked.

 

 

When it was almost time to pick up everyone, Chanyeol began to feel nervous. They had been going to that small field for three years as a group and this time, like Luhan said, he wasn't alone. This time he had Baekhyun and he wasn't going to have to put up alone with his friend’s cheesiness and their lovey dovey moments. The group considered that small field as their little hideout. No one really went there so they were lucky enough to find it years ago when they were wandering around. It was beautiful and the air was nice all year long. Somehow it always managed to stay clean much to Kyungsoo’s satisfaction.

Recently they've been a bit too busy with high school and their visits to the place were unfortunately limited, unlike before, they would go every other weekend and on holidays too. Sometimes they would just go on any random day, when all of the boys were free. Today was one of those days.

Chanyeol didn't even have to get out his car to get Baekhyun, because said boy was already outside, sitting on the small stairs with both his hands cupping his cheeks. Chanyeol lowered his window and smiled at Baekhyun, then gestured with his head for Baekhyun to get in the vehicle. Baekhyun stood up and walked to the car.

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow when Baekhyun stopped at the passenger door.”I should sit in the back.”

Chanyeol frowned.”You won’t be comfortable there.”

“But..Luhan hyung should sit here, he’s the oldest.” Baekhyun mumbled high enough for Chanyeol to hear.

Chanyeol smiled, Baekhyun was beginning to speak to him more and more and he noticed he actually appreciated his voice. A lot.”How do you know Luhan is the oldest?”

Baekhyun shrugged.”I heard,”

“Luhan hyung doesn’t like the front, he’d rather be with Sehun, believe me.” Chanyeol told the unsure Baekhyun.”So since you’re the second oldest, you’ll be sitting here.”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.”How do you know I’m the second oldest?”

Chanyeol imitated the other’s shrug.”I heard.”

“Come on..get in.”

Baekhyun gave up and hopped into the car, before he could put on his seatbelt, Chanyeol did the favor for him. It reminded him of their first day and his heart was beating wildly just like that day. He could smell Chanyeol’s cologne and it made him dizzy to the point where he could have fainted on the spot. Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun, their faces were inches apart and he suddenly grew the urge to get closer. Instead, he smiled at the wide-eyed Baekhyun.

“…and besides, I want you to be beside me Baekhyun. Like this.” He whispered and watched as Baekhyun gulped lightly, eyes shifting from Chanyeol’s to the window. Chanyeol chuckled and backed up to his own seat, starting the vehicle. He had to admit, he was happy when Baekhyun was near.


On the way to pick up the others, Chanyeol noticed Baekhyun wasn't lip-syncing to anything. That was because nothing was on in the first place.

“What song do you want to hear?” Chanyeol asked out of the blue.


“Hmm?” Baekhyun glanced at him.”Nothing really.”

Chanyeol didn’t look convinced.”Come on, tell me.”

Baekhyun sighed softly then asked.”Are you sure you’ll have it?”

“Tell me what it is first.”

“Umm..it’s in english though.”

“It’s alright, I’ll just search it on my phone..so?”

“It’s, Nothing On You by Bruno Mars.” Baekhyun said, surprising Chanyeol with his good english pronunciation.”Do you know it?”

“I've heard it before a few times. Here you search for it.” Chanyeol handed his phone over to Baekhyun.

“Can you say the name again?”

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol whose eyes were focused on the street.”What name?”

“The song.”

“Nothing on you.” Baekhyun repeated.

No-ting on you?” Chanyeol asked with a playful tone, knowing that he was messing up but it made him happy that it had Baekhyun laughing.

Baekhyun giggled.”No..nothing…you have to say the ‘th’ sound.”

No-ting on you. Like that?” Chanyeol tried again but not enough, and on purpose.

Baekhyun shook his head.”Th…th sound. It’s important.”

“N-not..” Chanyeol gave up trying.”How can you pronounce it so well?”

“I practiced it and I also listened to the song plenty of times.” Baekhyun said as he put the phone on the car speakers then pressed play, letting the music boom in the car.

The rest of the car ride was fairly quiet except for the song that was playing in the background. Chanyeol kept on stealing glances at Baekhyun who was most of the time looking out the window as usual. Although Chanyeol did once catch Baekhyun looking at him; but it was only once, no more.

As soon as the song repeated for the second time, Chanyeol parked in front of a building of decent looking apartments.

“I’m not going all the way up there to get them.” Chanyeol partially complained.

“Then maybe you can just text them.” Baekhyun turned off the music and handed the phone back to Chanyeol. The taller smiled and sent a text to Luhan, telling him that he was waiting.

“Who lives here?” Baekhyun asked quietly, not really expecting an answer.

“Kai, Kyungsoo, and Luhan.” Chanyeol answered him anyway.

“All three of them?”

“Well Kai and Kyungsoo live in one apartment and Luhan lives in the one under them.” Chanyeol explained.

“Oh..how about Sehun?”

“He lives just a few blocks from here, even though he’s practically 24/7 at Luhan’s.” Chanyeol watched Baekhyun as the boy was staring out the window, taking in the view of the area.

They silently waited approximately five minutes until finally, finally the others came out the entrance of the building. Each of the four held something in their hands. Luhan had a box most likely filled with games, Sehun with folded colorful mats, Kyungsoo carried a medium sized wooden basket, and Kai held a small white cooler with one hand and his other hand was entangled with Kyungsoo’s.

Chanyeol opened the trunk door for them to pack the items and as soon as they were done Chanyeol unlocked the two doors in the middle for them to get in.

“Go ahead, stuff yourselves in!” He yelled from his open window.”And what the hell took you so long?”

“Luhan forgot where he put the dice and we had to wait for hi- OW! Watch out you dofus!” Sehun screamed at Kai who apparently stepped on his foot while they were packing themselves in the middle seats.

“Geez! It`s not my fault you have elephant feet, move them out the way!” Kai yelled back as he settled down beside Kyungsoo. It was really difficult for them to fit in the middle because it was designed for three people only, not four grown boys. But oh well, Chanyeol warned them and they went on with it anyway. He was just glad Baekhyun wasn’t struggling with them.


“Are you guys ready?” Chanyeol asked.

“Uh- I think we are.”Luhan said, his voice wavering a bit.”Just go ahead Chanyeol.”

“ We've got 15 minutes to get there, just bear with it.” Before Chanyeol drove off he didn't forget to play the song that was on earlier. He glanced at Baekhyun and they exchanged smiles for a second then Chanyeol decided to actually keep his eyes on the road instead of Baekhyun’s undeniably, beautiful face. 

 

~~~~

Sorry for the tardiness /sigh/ 

Anyways, hope you enjoyed it!!