24

It Began With A Bet

"I-I don’t believe this." Baekhyun muttered incredulously, his voice shaking in desperation.

"Chanyeol actually already has a girlfriend, you know, yesterday’s birthday girl. They’ve been together for seven months. He loves her, not you." The girl said, crossing her arms across her chest.

"No!" Baekhyun shook his head, swallowing the painful lump in his throat ."You’re a liar, I still don’t believe you. H-He won’t do that….he won’t."

"Fine, if you don’t believe me then answer this question. Where is Chanyeol right now?"

Baekhyun remained frozen. He couldn’t answer because he didn’t know. He wished he knew.

"I’ll tell you. He’s on the roof of the school. With Stella, his girlfriend."

Baekhyun’s eyes were wide and wet with tears because of the fear that all of what the girl is saying may be true.

"They’re spending time together since he’s with you most of the time, in order to not lose the bet. They would miss each other dearly by now, don’t you think?" She abruptly grabbed his wrist and pulled him to a place he’s never went before. Baekhyun couldn’t move on his own, he felt paralyzed so he moved the way she wanted him to. They soon got to rail stairs then to a metal door.

The girl opened it quietly and Baekhyun just stood there, in moments his heart shattered into pieces. His eyes let out hot tears, and his lips trembled uncontrollably.

"You believe me now?"

There, a couple feet away, was Chanyeol, his back turned to them.


And he was kissing a girl, that same girl; Stella.


Baekhyun felt his whole world crushing. He couldn’t breathe at all. 

"See, you should’ve known, he’s a prince and your’e just a nerd."

Baekhyun turned around, wiping his fast falling tears as he hurtled down the stairs, running away from the scene that ruined him in one split second. He snatched his glasses and threw them on the floor, effectively breaking them into almost nothing. He didn’t know what he was doing or where he was going, all he knew was that he had to get away from Chanyeol now, and he never never wanted to see him ever again. Baekhyun’s cries became sharper by each passing moment, he was completely broken. He felt betrayed and played with. And to make it even worse, by Chanyeol, the only one Baekhyun has loved to this insane point.

~~~~~~

Chanyeol was just going to pick up Baekhyun for lunch when he was stopped by the full of make up birthday girl that was pestering him the whole day yesterday.

"If you’re looking for your nerd, he’s waiting for you on the roof." She announced out of the blue.

"How do you know?" Chanyeol asked unsurely, because he and Baekhyun had already planned that he’ll pick Baekhyun up from his class, and this was totally unexpected.

"I just came down from there, and I saw him sitting there alone." She told him and Chanyeol immediately turned away to go towards the roof. It was very unusual for Baekhyun to go up to the roof so Chanyeol began to worry about the smaller male. When he was going up the stairs he saw Stella right after him. He gave her a weird look but said nothing.

"What? I forgot my stuff up here, so I’m coming to get them." She said with a shrug. Chanyeol ignored her and opened the door to the roof, he searched for Baekhyun all over but saw no trace of him. None at all. Chanyeol heard a small malicious chuckle from behind him. He turned around to see the girl laughing right in his face.

So hateful.


“He’s not here? Oops, I guess I lied.” Stella smiled at him like she was the most innocent creature living.

Chanyeol was just about to turn away but she spoke again, blurting out something he wasn’t expecting at all.

"I want you to kiss me, and you’re going to do it now."

Chanyeol looked at her like she was insane, which in his mind, she was insane.”What? No, I’m not doing that.”

"Oh alrighty then, I’ll just show him….this video," She clicked on a video on her phone, bewildering Chanyeol."The one where you and your hot friend made "date the nerd for a week" bet. Remember Chanyeollie?"

Chanyeol’s eyes went wide as he looked at the video. It was exactly as she said, that day where they made that stupid bet. But how and when did she film them? Chanyeol clenched his jaw and stared icily at her.


“Don’t you ing dare show him this.”

"Oh sweetie, but you have to kiss me so I can keep this promise."

"I’m not ing kissing you." He looked at her in distaste. No way in ing hell was he going to kiss anyone other than Baekhyun.

"Your choice. But that way, I will be showing your nerdy boyfriend this video."

"Why the hell are you doing this?" Chanyeol hissed.

"Because I feel like it, so what do you say?" She raised an eyebrow, waiting for an answer.


Chanyeol really didn’t want to kiss her. That would be cheating on Baekhyun and he would rather die than cheat on him. But he also didn’t want her to show Baekhyun, because Baekhyun will leave him and that was Chanyeol’s biggest worst nightmare. It terrified him more than anything.


Chanyeol decided. He was going to kiss her then go to Baekhyun and tell him the truth before anyone else does.

"Fine, but just one kiss. No more."


“That’s all I need.” She winked at him and without shame or anything she grabbed his neck and pulled Chanyeol down. Chanyeol was so disgusted, in the girl and himself, when their lips touched. All that was on his mind was Baekhyun and he began to hate himself. He wasn’t supposed to do this, no matter what.

 

I’m sorry Baekhyun.


The longer their lips remained connected the more Chanyeol wanted to rip his own lips off. Just when she was trying to go further, Chanyeol rapidly pulled away and wiped his mouth with his sleeve.

"You better not show him." And with that Chanyeol dashed out the roof. He couldn’t stop wiping his lips, he felt so gross and stupid. Now he had to tell Baekhyun. He couldn’t let anyone else tell him. God knows who else knows about all this.

As he was running down the stairs his eyes caught a glimpse of something familiar. Chanyeol looked down at the item and his eyebrows furrowed when he recognized it as Baekhyun’s glasses. They were broken. He picked them up and examined the broken material. Maybe they weren’t Baekhyun’s but they looked exactly like Baekhyun’s glasses. But why were they broken? And over here of all places? Chanyeol shook his head to get the thoughts away from him then shoved them into his pocket and went away to search for Baekhyun.

~~~~~~~

Baekhyun had just got to Chanyeol’s house. He was breathless and hot tears were still streaming down his cheeks. He had caught a taxi near the school and went to the house that he once loved coming home to with Chanyeol. At the door there was a small package which Baekhyun knew what was in it. Both him and Chanyeol were waiting for its arrival for the past few days. He picked it up and took the extra key Chanyeol gave him then let himself in. Baekhyun opened the boxes and stared at the mugs. Picking one up and then the other, Baekhyun gazed at their pictures, Chanyeol’s mug had the picture where Baekhyun was kissing his cheek and both boys had wide happy smiles on. Baekhyun’s mug had the picture where Chanyeol was back hugging him and looking at his face as if he was everything he needed. But now Baekhyun knew that it was a lie, every thing was a lie.

Lies.

Lies.

Lies.

Baekhyun felt his heart stuck in his throat. He couldn’t believe that Chanyeol turned out to be this way, just a liar.
Not able to stand it any longer as he looked at their pictures, Baekhyun hurled both mugs across the room. They landed with a loud crash and Baekhyun saw that they were in millions of shattered pieces; just like himself.

Without thinking anymore, Baekhyun went upstairs and quickly packed all his clothes, throwing every thing carelessly into his suitcase. He was never coming back to this house after today, never. After struggling with gathering his belongings and taking his suitcase down the stairs, he left the house and got in the taxi that was still waiting for him, like he had asked him to. Baekhyun didn’t dare look back at the home where he had beautiful memories with Chanyeol. They didn’t seem so beautiful to him anymore. Each one he thought about hurt his heart further and further.

Baekhyun entered his home, throwing his suitcase to the side and walked away to his room, lying down on his bed. He stared at the ceiling, thinking about the reality he was in. Baekhyun truly, really did love Chanyeol. But Chanyeol didn’t love him back. He should’ve known, he should’ve left in the beginning, he should’ve never agreed. They’ve been together for only three weeks but it hurt Baekhyun so deep. A stray tear left his eye, and then another and another. He felt so worthless, like no one cared about him. Chanyeol had made him love everything, including himself, but now Chanyeol made him detest everything, especially himself.

The sudden ringing of his phone startled him, he took it out his pocket, stared at it and almost laughed bitterly.

It was Chanyeol. Baekhyun didn’t even want to see his name right now. He ignored it for a long while until his head was in pain from the annoying ringing sound. His eyes stared at Chanyeol’s name, thinking about how he was played with, and how Chanyeol did it so heartlessly, knowing that Baekhyun really loved him. Chanyeol didn’t understand though, he would never understand just how much Baekhyun loves him.


Baekhyun grabbed his phone in anger and with a painful shout he threw it right into the mirror of his dresser, successfully breaking both his phone and mirror. He was in so much pain, so much.

Why did Chanyeol do this? Baekhyun didn’t understand, why was his life always about getting his heart broken? First, his best friend leaves him in such a horrible way and now….now it hurt even more.

Baekhyun threw himself back on his mattress and cried harshly into his pillow. He hated Chanyeol. So much.


~~~~~

Chanyeol had looked all over the school. He didn’t keep a corner unchecked. But he still didn’t find Baekhyun. What made him worry so much was that Baekhyun’s backpack was still in his class and also his broken glasses that Chanyeol found. Baekhyun was no where in school and he wasn’t answering his phone, no matter how much Chanyeol called to it, so Chanyeol immediately ran to his car and left to his house. Maybe he went home. Maybe.

Chanyeol’s heartbeat increased, not in a good way, when he saw the extra key he gave Baekhyun on the door of his house. As soon as he opened the door his breath got caught in his throat. He stumbled over to the floor, terrified that the broken glass might be what he thought they were. Chanyeol took in a sharp breath when he saw that it was their mugs, he found the two pictures but they were already separated all over the floor. He quickly got up though and dashed up the stairs.

"Baekhyun!" He called for the boy. Maybe he was in the room….but why in the middle of a school day. Chanyeol didn’t get an answer anyway. The door to his room was open so he stepped in immediately, looking around for Baekhyun.


Chanyeol had never felt this kind of ruthless pain before in his chest like when he saw the closet door open and empty of Baekhyun’s clothes.

Empty of Baekhyun’s clothes.
It meant Baekhyun took them. It meant Baekhyun wasn’t here. It meant Baekhyun……left.

She must have showed him. That-

Chanyeol raced down the stairs and out to his car, driving the fastest he has driven in his life. He was unstoppable and he didn’t care about causing problems. All he cared about was Baekhyun and having to see Baekhyun right then. Once he got to his destination, Baekhyun’s home, he rushed to the front door and rang the bell, but received no answer. Chanyeol knocked on the door, each knock getting harder and louder as Chanyeol yelled Baekhyun’s name. His hands were starting to hurt because he was knocking for ten minutes straight but he still didn’t get an answer. He knew Baekhyun was inside, he just knew it.

"Baekhyun! Open the door, please!" Chanyeol yelled desperately. From his fear, Chanyeol’s eyes were watering, wanting to let out the tears he kept in forcefully. He was only thinking about if Baekhyun knew, he wasn’t sure that he knew. But if he did……then that meant Chanyeol was damaged inside.

The door abruptly swung open, revealing Baekhyun with red puffy eyes and a tear streaked face.

"Baekhyun…." Chanyeol let out breathlessly. He was so afraid, he was almost shaking. The look on Baekhyun’s face was tearing him apart.


“Don’t ever say my name again.” Baekhyun gritted out. He looked like he had been crying for a while and he obviously was tired and broken. It was horrifying how happy they were in the morning, sharing kisses and laughs, and just a few hours later it became this. Whatever this hell was.

"I-"

Chanyeol was going to say something, but Baekhyun beat him to it.

"Why would you do this? If you have a girlfriend already then don’t go looking for others! I’m not your toy to play with, Park Chanyeol! I-I trusted only you when I couldn’t trust anyone else…." Baekhyun let out a shaky and painful breath."Why? Can you just tell me why!! Why me out of all people that you chose to break their heart. Tell me why!!!"

"W-What—Baek…. I don’t have a girlfriend, I never did, Baekhyun. I swear!" Chanyeol attempted to hold Baekhyun’s hand but Baekhyun harshly pulled away. It felt like a smack to Chanyeol.


“Don’t lie to me anymore. I saw you with my own eyes k-kissing her on the roof today, and yesterday you wouldn’t leave her side. I know everything now! I now know that I was just part of a bet. A game for you to enjoy. I never thought this would actually be b-but…since you’re so heartless then I’m expecting anything now.” By the time Baekhyun finished speaking, new tears were leaving his sad eyes and his body was trembling from the force he was using into his words.

Chanyeol still tried to hold back his own tears. His heart couldn’t handle seeing Baekhyun cry, and especially because of him. All he wanted was to pull Baekhyun into his arms and hold him forever.


“Damn it, I don’t like her and I never did. I love you, no one else, Baek. She set all that up.” Baekhyun grimaced when Chanyeol said those words. Chanyeol was truly ashamed to say what he wanted and needed to say.”A-And I’m sorry about the bet, I never knew that you’dactually make me like you then fall in love with you in such a short time. I didn’t want to leave you after that one week, I couldn’t do it no matter what was going to happen. So I went on as if it was never just a bet. And I hid everything from you, I was…..afraid you’ll leave, that’s why.”

There was a thick silence in the air. Chanyeol was having an internal breakdown because of the disgusted look Baekhyun was giving him. He didn’t like this, he didn’t like it not one bit.

"What you say now is all lies to me." Baekhyun frowned, he couldn’t look at Chanyeol anymore."I want you to leave and forget me, forget everything because I’m going to be doing just that."


“Baekhyun, please.” Chanyeol begged in a small voice,”I never meant to hurt you, don’t do this to me. I can’t take it. Please.”

"Just leave!" Baekhyun’s voice cracked, he was having a hard time breathing. He wanted to believe Chanyeol but he just couldn’t. "Leave and forget that these three weeks ever happened."

"Baekhyun, I can’t." Chanyeol was crying too now, and even if Baekhyun was angry with him it still pained his heart because stupidly, he still loved Chanyeol.

"If I can then you can too." Except Baekhyun knew that he couldn’t forget but he had to try.

Baekhyun shut the door after one last glance at Chanyeol and Chanyeol dropped his gaze to the ground, closing his eyes tightly. Tears fell one by one to the floor. He was doomed. His only hope and wish and love left him with his own misery. Baekhyun was gone and he was alone with an agonizing heartbreak that hurt beyond anything he has experienced.

Chanyeol walked with heavy feet back to his car, hating that he was walking away from Baekhyun. He forced his tears to stop so he would be able to drive himself home, even though it didn’t really matter to him if he died in an accident. Nothing mattered anymore. Not when Baekhyun wasn’t with him.


He deserved this, Chanyeol told himself. He was cruel enough to agree to the bet, but Baekhyun had to at least believe him when he said he didn’t have a girlfriend. Didn’t Baekhyun trust him?

He did trust him. Used to trust him. Chanyeol was so stupid. Baekhyun deserved none of this from him.

At his home, Chanyeol couldn’t even move up to his room, he had no energy but most of all he was too much of a coward to go up there and see Baekhyun not there. He slumped down on his couch, letting his eyes slip close. This day was the day he feared of ever coming. But now it’s here and Chanyeol felt nothing more than regret. He regretted not telling Baekhyun from the beginning, when maybe he was going to give him a chance. Now, his chances were all gone since Baekhyun didn’t even want to see him and since Baekhyun actually said he’ll forget.

Forget.

How can he? Chanyeol knew he can’t, not in a million years. It’s been only three weeks but Baekhyun was so special to him and he took a big part of Chanyeol’s heart -if not all of it- and now forgetting Baekhyun and their blissful days together was impossible. Chanyeol’s eyes opened and he stared at the ceiling, feeling so lost and angry with himself. Without thinking he got up and grabbed the coffee table and flipped it over with everything that was on it. 
It was finally beginning to sink in.


Baekhyun was gone.


“! ! !” He yelled out loud, the pain in his chest increasing so much more than he thought he could handle. Chanyeol slumped his body back on the floor, leaning against the couch and trying his best to keep his tears in but it wasn’t working. Tears didn’t stop coming down, so he just let them as he lost his self in thoughts of regret. If he had some kind of time machine so he can go back and change all his mistakes, then right now Baekhyun would have been beside him smiling and laughing with that beautiful face of his. If only.


Chanyeol didn’t know what time it was or how long it has been just sitting there. He knew though that they were out of school when his friends, all four of them, were coming in his door that was unlocked. They barged in because he wouldn’t answer no matter how much they called for him.

"Why did we come here again?" Sehun asked. Chanyeol could tell by the direction of their voices that they were still at the doorway.

"We came here to check on Baekhyun, because he wasn’t in class after lunch." Luhan replied to him."And also Chanyeol wa-"

"Guys, what is that doing on the floor? Broken."

Then they were in the living room where Chanyeol was sitting alone pitifully.

"Chanyeol!" Luhan ran up to him, the rest right after him.

"Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo crouched down, placing a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder. Chanyeol was a mess, he couldn’t speak, he just stared straight ahead.

"What’s wrong?" Kyungsoo asked, concern etched in his voice."Where’s Baekhyun?"

At the mention of Baekhyun’s name, a stray tear left his eye and a small whimper came out his lips. His whole face contoured in pain.

"What’s going on? Chanyeol, speak up."

But Chanyeol only remained quiet. What was he supposed to say?

"Did he…" Kai was beside Kyungsoo in an instant, looking straight into Chanyeol’s face as he asked him the question he had a feeling that was the reason Chanyeol was so unusual."Did he know?"

"What are you talking about?" Luhan furrowed his eyebrows, he hated seeing his friends like this, sad and upset. It was worse now because Chanyeol barely ever ever cried like this, if not at all.

"Chanyeol, where’s Baekhyun?" Luhan asked, getting very desperate to know what was going on.

"Did he know?" Kai repeated gruffly, worry and anger starting to show in his usual playful and smartass mien."Chanyeol, speak up!"

"Yes, goddamnit yes!" Chanyeol finally spoke up, his voice sounding tired and full of agony."He knew and now he’s gone." He added softly, more like he was telling himself those painful words than he was telling his friends. Chanyeol rested his head on his knees and covered his face, not looking up at his friends again.

"What did he know?" Luhan squeezed Chanyeol’s arm, urging him to say what made Baekhyun go away.

"Jongin," Kyungsoo stood up, facing his boyfriend who was standing a few feet away from them now, running his hands through his hair in frustration.

"Tell me." Kyungsoo grabbed Kai’s face in his small hands, making Kai look at him.

After minutes of frustrating silence, Kai told them. He slowly told them about the bet while Chanyeol just sat there, trying to block out everything because it hurt even more when he heard it. He couldn’t imagine how Baekhyun felt knowing the truth; Chanyeol wanted to end himself.


“How could you two do this?!?” It was Luhan who yelled, causing everyone in the room to flinch at his angry voice.

"Didn’t you even think about how Baekhyun felt? Did you think about how cruel this is??" Sehun went up to the Chinese boy and held his hand, squeezing it in an attempt to calm him down.


Kyungsoo stared at Jongin until he couldn’t keep it in any longer,”You’re a jerk, you know that.” 
He turned his head to the taller male curled up on the floor.”Both of you.”

"Chanyeol, do you even love him? Just how…how did you let yourself do this?" Luhan scolded him right into his face, now angry at his friend more than anything. Who knows how Baekhyun feels now?

Chanyeol couldn’t keep quiet anymore, he had to say what he wanted to, what he had to.”I do love him! I love him so ing much and I never meant for any of this to happen. I’m so sorry for everything……”


“You should’ve told him from the very start if you loved him!”

"I ing do love him and that’s why I didn’t tell him! I was afraid he’ll leave!"


“Why was he staying here anyway, so the pain could be even more when he knows? Huh?” Luhan was pissed by now. He couldn’t believe Kai and Chanyeol would do something so stupid and reckless.

"I don’t want him to be in pain." Chanyeol replied in defense.

"Then why was he here?" Kyungsoo asked the same question, all of them wanting to know.

"He…..His ing neighbor was stalking him for months without anyone knowing and without anyone to help him. I didn’t let him stay at his home because I was afraid he’ll get harmed, so I told him to stay with me until the police caught the stalker." Chanyeol said in one breath.


“What the ?”

Luhan shook his head,”And did they catch him yet or is Baekhyun in danger?”

"We caught him the other night. He’s in prison now."


“Mmm…” Luhan stood up then looked down at Chanyeol.”So what are you going to do about this now?”

"I don’t know." Chanyeol admitted bitterly."He thinks I have a girlfriend."


“Oh God…” Luhan covered his eyes with one hand and sighed angrily.

"How?" Kyungsoo asked incredulously.

Chanyeol told about that to. Even though he didn’t know all the details but he knew enough to know that Baekhyun was misunderstanding him.


“You are in one big mess.” Luhan said, shaking his head as anger boiled in him. “And if I were Baekhyun I’d never come back to you, ever.”

 

______

I`m so so so so so so so sorry if I`m disappointing you guys. I hope you liked it.

Thank you all and please comment and let me know what you think. Your few words mean SO MUCH to me and they also get me writing and I need that because I think my worst enemy Writer`s Block wants to visit me again. NO. I DO NOT WANT.

Anyway, thank you again /kisses your heads one by one/ :)