01

Next time I fall.

 

 

 

Joo Eunyoung. He doesn’t know how he will describe her. That episode of the variety show All The Kpop was the first time he got to meet her up close. Sure, he heard about the girl group she belongs to, Two X. But they’ve never really crossed paths in music shows. Her face seemed familiar to him but he quickly dismissed the thought of the possibility of having seen her before. How many people has he met and thought they look familiar even if it’s the first time he has actually met them? When it comes to facial recognition, he doesn’t really  trust himself.

 

He watched as she entered the studio. She’s pretty and fairly feminine. But not exactly his type of girl. He prefers fierce women. That’s why Zinni noona of another rookie group GLAM caught his eyes. Devoid of overly feminine charms and cool hiphop moves as talent, Seyong’s attention got immediately hooked by the older woman.

 

But Joo Eunyoung proved to be one interesting girl despite having initially not captured his attention. There’s not a single word that can actually describe her wholly.

 

She’s not only a pretty face.. She oozed with appeal. Seyong couldn’t get his eyes off her as she danced and stared at the guys like she command their attention. And honestly speaking, she did. Even if they try to look away from her sensual dance, they can’t. They’re attracted, even if just through that short time. As she swayed her hips and got all the guys mesmerized, Seyong concluded she’s a woman that naturally attracts attention.

 

It didn’t occur to him until now that all throughout the filming, his eyes had unconsciously searched for her every possible moment.

 

When the emcee Boom asked her to  say something before the first couple selection, she caught his interest once again.

 

“I’m waiting for you.. until the end..” she uttered those words without hesitance as though she’s saying it directly to someone.

 

It confused him for a moment. Then it struck him. This wasn’t actually the first time he has seen her. It may be the first time they met personally but he had seen her onscreen. He remembers peeking through Chaejin and JunQ’s backs one time in their company office as the maknaes seemed to be so preoccupied with something.

 

“What’s that?” he watched as the maknaes almost jumped in shock at the same time.

 

“Hyung!” Chaejin whined while clutching his chest. “Why are you sneaking up?!”

 

“What? Why are you so shocked anyway? Are you watching ?!” he narrowed his eyes at them.

 

“Aniyo! We’re not like Gunwoo hyung!” JunQ was the first to deny.

 

“Then why are you two so shocked?” he pushed the two slightly apart so he could see the screen. A video was playing on the screen and it showed a woman talking in what seemed like an interview.

 

“It’s the new show Minhyuk hyung was in. It’s actually fun. Especially this noona.” JunQ said while Chaejin quietly nodded.

 

He looked at his right side where N is sitting. He was on that show, too,  wasn’t he? Could he be the guy Eunyoung was talking to with her message?

 

His question is immediately answered as N came out and threw his pillow confidently and without hesitance.

 

If he even had a plan of coming out for her beforehand, he would not dare to anymore. Any other guy who heard her declaration would do the same. It’s obvious that Eunyoung already made her decision even before any guy came out.

 

She’s a straightminded person. She knows what she wants. And she acts upon it fearlessly. That raised his curiosity  towards the mystery that she posed on his mind even more. He found himself silently and carefully keeping his eyes on her.

 

“In the past, I was blind to Eunyoung’s charm.”

 

“I dumped her..”

 

It didn’t occur as a surprise to Seyong that Eunyoung picked N’s rose without  hesitance.. What surprised him instead was when the table had suddenly turned and N found himself having to pick between Eunyoung and another woman again.

 

He watched on with interest as the straightforward Eunyoung striked again.

 

“Oppa, take this..”

 

And when N unexpectedly picked Ellin’s rose, he knew everyone was shocked. Including him. Including her. To put it bluntly, she got dumped. Again. His eyes followed the poor rose on the floor as she threw it in frustration after the unexpected rejection. He silently stared from his position as Eunyoung kept  her smile on and tried to coolly go back to her seat. They all know that N picked Ellin’s rose simply to apologize but a variety is a  variety. The show must go on.

 

And as though some sort of cruel fate is playing on him, the subject of his concentration, Zinni noona, also rejected him for Hongbin, a VIXX member. This thing is a mere game.. but the feeling of dejection and wounded pride.. it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. Is this how she felt earlier on? And during that time in Jeju Island? His awe towards her raised even more.

 

But not enough to make him move from his place as the emcee called for another round of couple selection for Eunyoung. She’s a strong woman for handling rejection a couple of times. But he doubts he could do the same. He’d rather keep what’s left of his ego by choosing to stay alone. It’s a lot better than being rejected by her too.

 

But what he forgot is that he’s on a show. He’s a guest and what is he to do other than to be active and participate in the games? It’s not like he can simply go and take over the role of the host no matter how capable he is. So as Boom indirectly urged him to come forward, he did. He could only hope some of his ego would still be left intact after all this..

 

Albeit expected and scripted, he still couldn’t stop the relief that flooded his system as Eunyoung reached out to pick his rose. They shook their hands for the first time and Seyong felt slightly consoled that despite having been rejected, he ended up with a person that really interests him.

 

He’s strangely comfortable with her. His outgoing personality made him comfortable to be with to a lot of people, but he expectedly at least some heavy awkwardness between them. But none of his expectations happened. They’re not overly comfortable, but they did get along well. Especially in the having-to-lift-her-up part of the game. She didn’t fuss over her weight like most girls in their industry do. She’s confident about herself. But that didn’t stop her from worrying about him. She has that concerned look on her face every time she looks at him, as though she’s sorry for having to be carried like that.

 

Call it a male pride but he wanted to last ‘til the end of the game if that would show Eunyoung that he can endure carrying her. The game was not easy despite how light she is to carry. He got flustered when Ellin suggested changing positions which put both him and Eunyoung in a very uncomfortable position.

 

“Why are you touching her like that?”

 

He heard someone exclaim, not sure whether it’s Jaemin or Seung Ho. It’s not like he wanted to put his hands in an uncomfortable position near her behind. It just so happened that before the suggested change of position, she was comfortably sitting on his arms instead of hanging bridal style. It seemed practical at that time. His arms were linked, making it a stronger support for her weight and the position allowed her to be comfortable.

 

But the secured position proved to be so bothersome when Eunyoung had to move on his back. Eunyoung attempted to help him by lifting her weight and moving on her own but she ended up smothering him with her chest instead. It flustered him but they successfully changed position anyway. All that was left is the endurance.

 

One by one, the other couples became eliminated. It started with Ken and Kyungri. Then N and Ellin also gave up when the difficulty was raised again by asking the guys to stand on one foot. He already has his lips in a thin line as he felt himself getting tired. Sweat trailed down his face but Eunyoung was quick to dry it away with a tissue. His Insoo hyung also gave up the endurance battle leaving only him with Eunyoung and Hongbin with Zinni noona.

 

His balance got shaken with tiredness and they got pushed to a corner, their backs turned against the camera. Eunyoung has a worried look on her face as she held the tissue on her hand tightly.

 

“Oppa, you’re tired.”

 

He did not say anything.

 

“Let me down now. We’ve lasted long enough anyway.. And we already won the first  game.”

 

They looked at each other before Seyong finally surrendered and put his foot down. Eunyoung got down from his hold too as Boom declared Hongbin and Zinni as the winners of that game.

 

“Kwenchana?”

 

He nodded as he wiped away the remaining sweat from his forehead. They were all asked to go back to their seats for the second selection. They were asked to write the name of the person they liked on the paper. His mind hasn’t changed on whose name he’ll right but for a second, he hesitated.

 

To their surprise, Ellin chose Jaemin, as opposed to the expected N. N’s turn to reveal who he chose came and Seyong started having a bad feeling when caught a glimpse of N’s grim face. His immediate reaction is to look at Eunyoung who seemed to be looking at the board expectantly.

 

He wished whatever is on his mind right now is wrong. An unexpected wish for her sake.

 

Boom finally revealed who N has chosen… Ellin. His automatic response was to stare blankly at the board before he turned his attention back to Eunyoung. She looked  a bit grim, her eyes  started to water as Boom talked to N. But she quickly covered it up when Boom turned everyone’s attention on her.

 

Call him childish but when he finally saw her trying hard to stop her tears, he wanted to double whatever guilt Ha Kyeon is feeling at the moment. A childish way of attaining justice for her, but who cares? He quickly pointed it out loud that Eunyoung is crying. He felt it’s only right to make N guilty. N could have chosen Ellin simply because he thought Eunyoung is definitely mad at him. But if he really wants to make amends with Eunyoung, shouldn’t he be brave enough to face rejection? Why care about that when by finally choosing her, at least he could show her that he’s sincere?

 

When asked to say something to N before revealing who she chose, she hesitated for a few seconds. And then she blurted out,

 

“Oppa, you are really a bad guy.”

 

Her blunt message received big reactions from everyone and even Seyong did not see it coming. But he’s quite proud. For awhile, he thought her straightforward personality will fold if faced by another rejection but she proved him wrong.

 

After Eunyoung’s choice is revealed, N spoke up.

 

“Can I say something?” he paused. “Honestly, I like Eunyoung the most.”

 

N’s regret could be felt by everyone. But is this how it’s always gonna end? Rejection on her part and regret on his?

 

Seyong could only look blankly once again as the N-Ellin bickering unfolded right in front of their eyes again, elicited by N’s declaration. His eyes stayed discreetly looking at Eunyoung again, but for no reason this time.

 

The PDs finally called for a break when they finished the second couple selection. They started changing the tapes and the staff handed out water bottles and towel. The stylists approached the artists and fixed their makeup. He found himself once again looking at her. She’s cheerily conversing with the stylist noona as light makeup is applied on her face.

 

But through close inspection, he noticed the strain on her smile before she disappeared in one of the dressing rooms to change.

 

The second part of the filming had gone a bit more smoothly than the first part. He watched in a mix of shock and awe as Eunyoung took her revenge on N with a painful blow.. literally.

 

The filming ended and everyone prepared to leave. He once again caught sight of Eunyoung on her way to leave the building. He didn’t know what pushed him but he found himself approaching her fast.

 

“Eunyoung-ssi!!” he caught with her.

 

“Oh.” She looked surprised as she looked back and saw him approaching. She bowed in greeting. “Annyeonghasaeyo, Seyong-oppa.”

 

“Is there a problem?” she asked.

 

“Ah. Aniya. Aniya.” He quickly shook his hands. “Insoo-hyung’s still inside and I am already on my way out when I saw you..”

 

“Oh…” Eunyoung nodded. They are both quiet as they walked out of the building. “Mianhe. I got too sensitive earlier while filming. It probably made filming burdensome to you guys..”

 

“It did. Quite a bit..” he admitted. “But it’s not your fault. You’re just being honest with yourself.”

 

She smiled.

 

“How can you do that?” he can’t help but ask.

 

“Do what?” she tilted her head, an action he found quite innocent and cute.

 

“Being that straightforward with what you  feel.. Are you not scared of getting hurt?”

 

He stuffed his hands in his pocket as they walked towards the parking lot where both their vans are parked.

 

“I am. But I’m sure you know this too…. Living in what ifs and what could have beens is more frightening and tiring than getting hurt. At least, when you finally get enough rejection, you’ll have the reason to move on..”

 

He smiled. Talking to her like this made him realize she’s more than what people could see. A strong woman with an equally strong resolve.

 

They reached her van where her manager oppa is waiting by the driver’s seat.

 

“Here’s my stop. Goodbye Seyong-oppa! Nice meeting you!”

 

Seyong nodded and watched as Eunyoung climbed inside the van.

 

He’s about to turn back and make his way to their own company van, when her voice made him halt.

 

“Seyong-oppa!” He looked back to see Eunyoung  with her head out of the van window.

 

“See you soon!” she waved. “And just call me Eunyoung. I don’t really suit formalities..” she grinned.

 

She’s one heck of a woman. That’s what he realized. At the end of the day, his curiosity is still not fully satiated.

 

“Eunyoung-ah..” he liked the way it rolled out of his tongue.

 

“You’re one amazing woman.” He blurted out.

 

She looked at him in confusion.

 

“The next time I fall in love with a woman, it would probably be you..” he couldn’t stop his mouth as it blurted out everything on his mind.

 

Eunyoung looked quite taken aback before she grinned with a light flush on her cheeks.

 

“Then you have to work hard by that time, oppa. I’ll make sure to play hard to get by then..” she replied cheekily sending both of them into light laughs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

AUTHOR's NOTE:

This is supposed to be romantic... but well... haha. just squint your eyes to see.. I've always wanted to write a fic about that All The Kpop episode (and I watched it multiple times with my eyes focused on Seyong.. lool. I sound stalkerish but swear! I'm not. :P)but whenever I make an attempt to write one, it goes wayward.

Well, anyways, I hope you like this one.

Again, the comment box will be your freedom wall. Ask and react but don't bash. If you have negative reactions, say it in a civil way and you can expect an equally civil and polite answer from me. :D

btw, this and all other fics I've written still remain unedited (and unread.. I posted them after writing.. not bothering to read it wholly. XD), so bear with the slight errors for now. I'll be editing them once I finished all my requirements in school.

--