Six

Kitty Cat Kai
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The next morning I woke up to a mild head ache and sticky clothing. I moved my hands up to my eyes to rub the drowsiness away, and slowly fluttered my eye lids open to get used to the feeling. I stared at Kai who was rolled up in a nest of blankets next to me and scoffed. He really had no gentleman essence about him at all, taking up all the blankets when I was shivering cold at night – he was just like a kid. He broke stuff, ate a lot, was dumb, clumsy, wasted money. Wasted money.

I shook my head and heaved a big sigh. Since when had I become such a saint? I should have just gotten rid of him while I had the chance.

I sat up in my bed and shook my head to get rid of the mild pounding. I caught sight of a little table next to my bed that had a few dishes on it and trudged over to inspect it. A piece of ripped yellow paper that was sitting on top of a covered dish caught my eye, and I reached over to pick it up.  

You have some explaining to do about that Kai kid.

I recognized the hand writing as Sehun’s, and my eyes widened in horror as I glanced over at Kai who had been sleeping soundly next to me. , Sehun had seen him.

I glanced back at the note to read the rest that was written neatly on there.

I made you BOTH some breakfast, and I called in sick for you so you don’t have to go to school today. I put some cold medicine on the table so eat them after you’re finished with breakfast. You might not feel sick, but I want you to take them just in case and kill the disease when it hasn’t started yet. You were out in the rain and slept in wet clothes, after all. I was going to change them for you, but I didn’t think you’d like that. Thanks for letting me know you came back, by the way. I mean, I didn’t only spend three hours worrying about you until I decided to come check your own room just in case. You owe me a long explanation about why I found a half Kai sprawled across your body.  – Sehun

I groaned and slapped my hand against my forehead. The noise stirred Kai from his sleep, and he let out a loud yawn as he sat up. “Good morning Mina,” Kai mumbled as he rubbed his fists cutely against his eyes.

“Good morning my ,” I muttered under my breath. “Don’t smile like an idiot as if nothing happened, I’m still really angry with you, dumb cat.”

Kai’s face immediately fell, and he opened his mouth to spout what I assumed would be another apology, but was interrupted by the growling of his stomach. He flushed a bright red and pressed his hand against his stomach as he scowled at it, muttering a quiet, “Shh!” I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye, and almost laughed when I saw how he looked at the food on the table.

 “Go ahead, Kai. I know you’re starving,” I sighed as I gestured towards the small table. I was still incredibly frustrated with the cat, but after remembering that he hadn’t eaten anything last night, I felt immediate guilt.

Kai’s eyes lit up and he quickly darted forward once he got my permission. He flung the covers off of the bowls and immediately began to shovel the food down his throat. “This is good, Mina! Thanks for cooking!”

“I wasn’t the one who cooked this,” I raised an eyebrow with amusement. “Sehun made this for us.”

Kai choked and spat the food out into a nearby napkin. “This food is disgusting and I’m not going to eat it anymore.”

“I thought you just said it was good?” I scoffed with crossed arms.

“Until the after taste kicked in. Gross, that’s disgusting stuff,” Kai responded stubbornly as he shoved the covers a little too hard back onto the bowls. “I wouldn’t eat that if I were you, Mina. How about we just go out and get ramen?!”

He froze once he processed the cold look you gave him at his suggestion of spending money, and he immediately pulled the covers off the food. “On second thought, it’s okay. It’s not as bad as I thought it was.”

I chortled at the other’s childishness and shook my head. I glanced up from him and sighed as I stared at my messed up room. “I guess we’re going to have to spend the day cleaning up.”

“Can I help?” Kai asked eagerly as he wolfed down Sehun’s ‘disgusting’ food.

“Hell yeah you’re going to be helping,” I scoffed as I ran my hand through my hair. “If I wasn’t worried about how it would turn out, I would make you clean this whole place all by yourself.”

Kai’s eyes searched your face before he asked in a quiet voice, “Did they steal it from you, Mina? Did they steal your money?”

My face softened at the question and I sighed as I looked longingly at my drawer. “Yeah. They stole it.”

Kai’s face fell and he nudged my hand with the top of his head. “I’m sorry, Mina, I’ll help you get that money back.”

I shook my head and turned to him with a strained smile. “It’s okay, you don’t have to worry about it. I’ll figure something out.”

I stood up and stretched out my arms. “Let’s start cleaning, alright? You start over at the book shelf and put all the books back into their proper places. Place anything broken in the bag that I’ll get out. If we work quickly, we can finish this by noon and I can go catch a shift at the café.”

Kai nodded his head and he immediately set out to work on the assigned task I gave him.

I was pretty lucky that I had a relatively small room, for the two of us had managed to clean up by noon with an hour left over to spare.

“Kai, I’m going to go to the café to see if I can grab a shift, okay? You stay here, but if you want to go out, you have to remember to lock the door, okay?” I called out as I got changed.

Kai nodded his head seriously, “I’ll never forget to lock the door now.”

“That’s nice to hear,” I smiled back at him. I waved him good bye and closed the door behind me, hoping that one of the workers of the café failed to show up so I could catch another shift. Hopefully luck would be on my side for the day.

I took a deep breath as I strolled leisurely to the café, taking my time. In all honestly, I had lost hope. There was no way I would be able to make as much money as I had been in time. They were going to take my home away. They were going to take the only thing I had left.

By the time I got back home, night had fallen, and I was relatively happy with the hours of work I had gotten done. Maybe I should consider skipping some days of school to work the day at the café in order to make up for the money that had been lost.

“Kai, I’m home! Are you hungry?” I called out as I stepped into my room. I was met with an empty room, and frowned at the absence of the other. Had Kai gone out? I had left a little before 12 and now it was already 9PM. Where could Kai have gone for that long of a time?

There was a knock on my door and a smile spread across my face.

“Kai, what happened to the key I – Sehun,” I said as I opened the door to reveal my neighbor.

“Mina, you have a lot of explaining to do,” Sehun growled as he walked into my room without an invitation. “I know I usually don’t interfere with your personal life, and I really don’t bother with anything you don’t tell me first, but I want to know why you suddenly disappeared in the middle of dinner last night to show up in your own room soaking wet with a half boy next to you. And now you’re talking about some key that you gave him? Mina! I ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter