Five

Kitty Cat Kai
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Can I have that?” Kai asked as he swept his fingers against a silk robe.

“No,” I growled out in response, already knowing that the robe would probably cost over 100,000 won.

“Then can I have this?” Kai asked impatiently as he pointed to a leather jacket.

“For godssakes, Kai, no!” I exclaimed. Everything the cat wanted was way out of my budget, and he seemed to complain about everything I chose for him with the claims that it was too itchy or too ugly.

“How about this?” Kai asked as he held up a porcelain pot.

“Why the hell would you want that?” I growled as I glared at the sign that said it was 50,000 won.

“I dunno, it’s pretty,” Kai grinned as he placed the pot back down on the table. He foolishly placed the pot at the edge of the table, and before I could warn him, his knee knocked into the leg of the stand as he turned around.To my greatest horror, the pot slipped off of its stand and hit the floor with an audible crash.

The store clerk came running forward and glared at the broken pieces before shifting his glare up to Kai and I. “You break it, you buy it.”

I could have punched Kai.

50,000 won was all I was willing to spend on that dumb cat, and he had already spent that much on a stupid broken pot?

“I’m sorry,” I apologized with a bow. I followed the worker to the cashier and reluctantly forked over my credit card, inwardly cringing when he swiped the thin metal against the machine.

“Sorry Mina,” Kai pouted as he scuffed the back of his foot against the floor. “I can find another pot for us, a prettier one!”

“NO!” I growled at him as I spun around in my spot. “I don’t know who you think you are, Kai, but money isn’t something that can be carelessly spent! Especially not for dumb things like silk robes and broken pots! I’m the one who makes money between the two of us, so you can stop being such a goddamn brat!”

I blew angrily at the hair that slid onto my face, and glared at the now cowering male.

“Sorry, Mina,” Kai murmured. He rubbed the side of his arm with his hand and casted his eyes down to the ground.

My face softened at the look at the scolded cat, and I began to regret acting too rashly towards the other. How was he supposed to know the value of money? He wasn’t a human like me, and probably didn’t understand how valuable money was to the world. He didn’t know how much I needed it to save my childhood home.

“It’s okay,” I replied as I patted the other on the head. “Come on, let’s just get some clothes for you and go home.”

Kai didn’t complain about the fabric being itchy or the designs being ugly anymore, and I was grateful that he was capable of understanding so easily. The two of us caught a bus back to my apartment, and by the time we both arrived, I had forgotten all about my anger.

“Come on, once we get to the room we can go get something to eat, alright?” I smiled as the two of us climbed onto the elevator.

Kai grinned happily back at me and nodded his head eagerly.

When the elevator rang to signal that we had arrived on my floor, the doors opened to a rather loud ruckus.

“What’s all of this about?” I asked as I made my way down the hall with Kai right behind me.

“Mina!” Sehun exclaimed, sprinting down the hall once he saw me.

“What happened, Sehun?” I asked with the of my head.

Sehun bit his bottom lip and asked, “Why haven’t you been answering my calls?”

“It died, why, what happened?” I asked with narrowed eyes as I stared at the police officers over his shoulder.

“Your apartment was robbed,” Sehun answered slowly, as if testing how I would react to the words.

My eyes immediately narrowed and I pushed past the other to see if his words were true.  I sprinted to my apartment room and stopped short once I saw the carelessly opened door. I got a full look at my ransacked apartment from my position under the doorway. My books had been pulled out of my shelves and thrown across the floor. My mattress had been pulled apart, and my clothes had been pulled out of my drawers.

My eyes widened once I saw my destroyed dresser  and practically sprinted forward. I yanked out the first wooden drawer and threw it to the floor, rummaging through the contents to find what I was looking for, but I didn’t see the familiar packaging.

They took it.

The months’ worth of paychecks I had saved in order to save that little house. They took it.

“Mina, come on, get off the ground,” Sehun said with a gentle voice. He slid his hands underneath my arm pits and hoisted me to my feet. “The police want to talk to you before they leave.”

I nodded hopelessly and followed him out of the room. There were two male officers outside and they instantly began to question me.

“There isn’t any sign of forced entry,” one of them stated as he scribbled things into his notebook. “Could it be somebody who had the key? Or did you possibly leave you door unlocked?”

I immediately shook my head at the question. “No, it couldn’t be. I always leave the door locked before I…” I froze and immediately spun around to look at Kai who hadn’t moved from his position down the hallway.

Judging from his expression, I knew he had heard our conversation. His hand slowly patted his pockets, and he reached inside to pull out the silver key that I had given him earlier that day. His expression morphed into one of horror, and his eyes slowly rose from the key to look at me.

Before I could even react, Kai broke into a sprint down the hallway and disappeared into the elevator.

“Did the robbers take anything that of values?” one of the police men asked, inter

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter