The News

A Long Overdued Confession

Just Look At Them~~

 

KEY POV

 

"Ahhhh!!!! I'm so bored!!!" I groaned out loud to no one in particular. The older hyungs had gone out with their friends as SHINee had the day off from activities. Even the maknae Taemin had gone out with a cheerful "Hyung, Kai wants to hang out. Bye~" That left Key alone with Minho, who was currently sleeping in his room.

"Ahhh what to do? What to do?" I murmured to myself walking about the house. Just then the door to Minho's room opened and he came out with a bag on his shoulder. Huh? Where was he going?

"Where's everyone?" He asked when he saw me.

"Not here obviously." I replied spreading my hands to encompass the silent empty room. He gave me a slightly irritated look, so i added. "They went to hang out with their friends."

"Oh. Well I'm off to the gym." He said turning to head out before pausing and turning to face me again. "Do you...Do you wanna come?"

"Uhhh.." I frowned. I wasn't in the mood to go workout but then again it sure beats staying in the dorm all alone. "Uhh gimme a few to get my stuff." He nodded and I went off to pack my bag. When I was done and ready I snagged my phone and we left for the gym.

Despite my lack of desire to workout earlier, it proved to be a fulfilling time and time passed by quickly. Sweating and tired I sat down on a chair and downed my bottle of water.

"Wahhh~~I feel so much better~~~" I said smiling as I stretched my hands out in front of me.

"How about we stop by a restaurant and grab lunch before returning to the dorm?" Minho asked as he packed his bag.

"Mmm...Sounds good to me.." I replied and with that he headed off to take a quick shower. When he had finished I too took a refreshing shower.

I had just finished packing my bags when my phone rang. Looking at the screen I saw it was our manager.

"It's our manager hyung. I wonder what he wants?" I said to Minho and then answered.

"hello hyung." I said into the phone.

"Kibum where are you now?" He asked his voice sounding strained. Was something wrong?

"Uhh, I'm with Minho at the gym." I replied. At the sound of his name Minho looked up. He inclined his head asking what was it? I shrugged just as his phone rang. "Is something wrong hyung?"

"Yes. Both of you need to get here to the hospital immediately." he replied urgently. Huh? Hospital? Was someone hurt? Just then i heard Minho exclaimed "WHAT?!" in reply to whoever he was talking with on his phone. "It's Jonghyun. He's been in an accident. Get to SNUH Healthcare System Gangnam Center as quickly as possible." With that he ended the call.

I slid down onto the floor, my phone slipping from my hands. Distantly I wondered if it would break as it was an all touch afterall. My brain was still trying to process what it had just heard. Surely I must have heard wrong. Surely manager hyung was trying to prank me. Surely he hadn't said that Jonghyun hyung had been in an accident and that he was now in the hospital. No he must have heard wrong. Only this morning the dino had given him a big smile as he headed out to go hang out with the other Jonghyun. Then this must all be a dream. Right a dream. Or nightmare. And soon I would wake up in my bed and I'd go into the living room and he'd be there bickering with Onew hyung. I was so zoned out that it took me a while to realise Minho was calling for me.

"Key. Key! Kibum!!" He shook me by my shoulder roughly. In a daze I looked up at him.

"Jonghyun hyung. He..Manager hyung said.." I couldn't get the words out. It was as if I said it out loud it would become reality and surely this nightmare I will awake from soon.

But no. It was not to be so because Minho nodded and said, "I know. Onew hyung called to tell me about it. Kibum we have to go there right away."

"NO! IT CAN'T BE TRUE!!!" I exclaimed surprising him as the water works started. The sympathetic look he gave me slammed home the truth of the situation. Jonghyun hyung was in the hospital. At that I sprang up quickly and began packing my bag. "We need to get there. Let's go Minho." I practically ran out of the gym wiping my continuously falling tears as I go. Minho caught up to me quickly and we jumped into our car and set off for the hospital where my Jonghyun was.

 

*********************************************

 

MINHO POV

 

The ride to the hospital was a quiet one. Kibum had not spoken a word after he had left the gym. I looked at him from out of the corner of my eyes. He had his face buried in his hands. Had it not been for the shaking of his shoulders and the sniffles every now and then I would've thought he'd gone to sleep. Poor guy. He was one of the people that was the closet to Jonghyun hyung so his reaction had been understandable. I thought back to when I had received the news.

I was packing up my bag when Kibum had gotten that call from manager hyung. I hadn't paid much attention to it and then my phone had rang. It had been Onew hyung. He had sounded torn and so right away I knew something was wrong.

"Yah Minho-ah where are you?" The leader had asked

"I'm with Kibum at the gym hyung. We're---" but hyung had cut him off and dropped the bombshell.

"Oh Key is with you as well. Both of you need to come to SNUH Healthcare System Gangnam Center immediately!!" Onew hyung had said frantically and before I'd been able to ask what was wrong, he had continued. "Jonghyun is in the hospital. He'd been in an accident."

"WHAT?!" I exclaimed

"I don't know the details. I'm heading there now you guys need to hurry and get there too." and with that the call had ended.

I had turned around to see Key slumped on the ground looking as if his soul had been separated from his body. It had taken a few tries before I could snap him outta it and then he'd been in a state of denial. I understood that for I didn't want to believe what I had heard either but at that moment we needed to get to the hospital to find out the details. Somehow Key had been able to snap outta it and I saw as the reality set in big fat tears started rolling down his cheek. I couldn't look at him like that. I had turned away not knowing how to comfort him. With all the haste of a man who was late for a meeting he packed his bag and was out the door running as if all the hounds of Hell were after him. By the time I had caught up to him he'd been about to go into our car. And now here we were traveling in silence to our dear friend.

I sighed looking out the window as a small sob escaped Key. Jonghyun hyung you had better not be seriously injured. If not for anyone's sake but Key.

 

*****************************************************

 

ONEW POV

 

I paced up and down the waiting room area. Why were they taking so long to tell them how Jonghyun was? Manager hyung had gone to look for one of the doctors to see if he could get any information. With a frustrated sigh I sat down in one of the chair. In the corner, Taemin was crying softly in Kai's arms. They had been the first to arrive and Kai had insisted on staying to support his best friend. I was glad for that because at the moment I was not sure I could offer any comfort to him in my agitated state. I sighed again just as a hand holding a bottle of water appeared in front of me.

I looked up to find the owner of the hand. Lee Joon. "Here," He said and i took the water gratefully "It's all they have here."

"Better than nothing." I sighed drinking the water. He took a seat next to me after handing two other bottles to Kai.

"Any word yet?" he asked worriedly.

"No. None." I ran my hand through my hair in frustration. He took my hand and squeezed it lightly. He had been with me when the manager had called to give me the dreadful news. We had been about to go grab lunch. Upon hearing of Jonghyun accident he had insisted on coming along. "Yah. Jonghyun is my friend too." he had said and so hence here we were.

"He'll be alright." was all he said and then Key and Minho was there.

They both wanted to know everything. Key in particular was a mess. His face was tear stained, his eyes half-crazy and he could barely get his words out properly.

"Jonghyun hyung...He...How..? Where..?" he sputtered. I had never seen Key like this before. I knew he and Jonghyun were close but this.... I looked up at Minho. He too seemed a bit thrown at Key's reaction.

Joon got up and went to Key. "Kibum," he said taking his hands and leading him to a chair. Key sat down not taking his eyes off of Joon. "We haven't heard a word yet. The manager hyung has gone off to look for the doctor. You've gotta be strong okay. He'll be fine I'm sure."

Key nodded and seemed to calm down, no doubt hanging onto the last part of Joon's statement like a life line. It was strange but I had no time to ponder it for at time Taemin launched himself into Key.

'Jonghyun' I thought 'You had better be alright. You have worried your loved ones very much.'

 

***************************************************

 

TAEMIN POV

 

The waiting room had become noisy. I could here Key hyung and Minho hyung talking with Onew Hyung and Lee Joon hyung. I buried my head deeper into Jongin's chest as i heard Key hyung hysterical questions. I could hear Lee Joon hyung trying to get Key hyung to calm down. I didn't hear what he said to him but Key hyung had gone quiet. Kai's hand rubbed my back soothingly and I was glad he had come with me and stayed. We had been at the amusement park having fun and teasing each other when Onew hyung had called.

"Ahhh Kai hold on I've got a call from Onew hyung." I had said turning to stop him from going onto the ride. "Hello hyung."

"Taemin-ah where are you? You need to get to SNUH Healthcare System Gangnam Center immediately!" Hyung had said over the phone.

"SNUH Healthcare System Gangnam Center?? Why? Is someone hurt?" I had asked confused as Kai waved impatiently at me.

"Jonghyun has been in an accident. He's at the hospital. I'm going there now. You need to get here now." He replied his voice strained. "Uhh where are you? Do you need a car?"

"WHAT?! JONGHYUN HYUNG IS AT THE HOSPITAL?!" I exclaimed in shock and Kai came over mouthing 'Is that true?'. "I'm with Kai at the amusement park." I had proceeded to give him the necessary information and we had left. Kai had insisted on coming with me and I have to say I was very grateful he had as evident by his tear soaked shirt front.

I could hear soft sobbing in the room. It sounded like Key hyung. Yes hyung was crying. At that I moved out of Jongin's arms and threw my self at Key hyung.

He caught me in a tight hug and then we were both breaking down into long loud sob fest. The others gathered around us whispering soft assuring words and patting us comfortingly. And still we cried and cried and cried. Sometime Kai and Lee Joon hyung left us and went to get more water. By the time they had returned we had calmed down. We were in the midst of cleaning out face when the manager hyung came into the waiting room looking drained. I gulped nervously and I felt Key hyung grabbed onto my hands tightly. This was what we had been waiting for.

 

a/n I alternated between using Kai's real name [Jongin] and his stage name [Kai]