Epilogue

.:: T A K E N ::.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There was nothing inside the glass but the ice cubes when the clock strike 12 and Sungmin still thought that he hadn't had enough alcohol to warm up his body although it was his third glass of whiskey. It was a cold autumn night and he decided to have a little drink at the bar near his work. A small gesture of his hand was enough to alert the bartender. With a friendly smile on his face he refilled Sungmin's glass with the fine liquor before heading to his next customer. Sungmin was about to gulp it down when he saw someone took the seat on his right side and he instantly turned to see.

His first reaction was scoffed and shook his head slightly before taking his glass up and gulping down some of it's content. He didn't say anything after that. His eyes were staring at the ice cubes inside the half empty glass as if it was the most interesting thing.

"So .." He started to talk after a few seconds of silence. He turned to see the guy and smile a little. "There you are. How have you been, Donghae?"

The latter didn't return his gaze, he just stared at his hands on the table and just nodded. So Sungmin finished his drink and again calling the bartender for another refill.

"Do you wanna drink anything?" Sungmin offered and Donghae shook his head. "So why are you here then?"

Donghae finally lifted his gaze and looked into Sungmin's eyes. "I came to apologize."

"Apologize .." Sungmin nodded before gulping down some of his drink. "For what? for keep on disappearing? for keeping me in the dark? for making me worry? Which one is it?"

"For everything, Ming." Donghae said lowly. "I know I've been ungrateful all this time and I wanted to apologize before .."

"... Before?"

"Before going back to Seoul."

Another deafening silent envelope them both for a minute before Donghae continued talking.

"I'm going back to Seoul the next two weeks and I wanna thank you for everything that you've done for me. I know I owe you some explanations but I don't know if you can understand. I don't even know how to explain and It's just so .."

"Complicated?" Sungmin smirked before finished his drink and Donghae just nodded. "Of course it is."

"Ming .. "

"Look, Donghae." Sungmin cut him off before he could utter what he had in mind. "You don't have to tell me. Honestly, I'm glad that you are alright. That's all that matter. It's good to see you again."

"I've found Hyukjae."

Sungmin looked at him for a moment before turning his gaze back at the empty glass on his hand. "Have you?"

"Yes." Donghae nodded. "Something happened to him in the past. That's why he didn't return."

Sungmin blinked his eyes repeatedly and tried to process word by word that Donghae said.

"You're not joking, are you?" Sungmin asked, furrowing his eyebrows as he spoke. "Because it has been a long time and .."

"He's here." Donghae said, averting his gaze passed Sungmin and it made Sungmin turn his head.

There at the entrance he saw a very fine young man who just walked in to the bar. That face looked so familiar. He recognized him right away from all those pictures Donghae kept inside his precious little box. So this was the guy that he had been looking for half of his life. Slowly Sungmin got up from his seat and waited for Hyukjae to come closer.

"So this is the guy that you had been searching for.. " Sungmin stated instead of asking. Voice so calm, yet both of husbands could sense anger. "What could possibly happened that made him left you on the first place? What are the excuses that he gave you?"

Donghae instantly put his hand on Sungmin's arm and with a gently tap he was silently pleading for the other to stop talking. But knowing Sungmin, he knew he wouldn't stopped right there.

"I hope you'd understand the pain he had gone through to find your little , or else I would gladly remind you until you do with my fist."

"Ming, you're drunk." Donghae's hand gripped Sungmin's arm as he spoke. "He didn't do anything wrong. There was an accident and he didn't remember a thing about his life or me. Please .."

"It's ok, Hae." Hyukjae smiled faintly before he bowed slightly toward Sungmin. "He had all the right to be angry with me. He cared about you, he had been taken care of you ever since you got here and for that I'm forever grateful. Sungmin~ssi .."

Sungmin didn't say anything. He just returned to his seat and finished his drink.

"Have a seat, Hyukjae~ssi. Order some drink if you like." He continued talking as he waved his hand toward the bartender once again. "On me."

"We just come to say goodbye." Donghae said after he left his seat and to come standing next to Hyukjae. "We're going home and there are a lot of things that we have to take care of."

Sungmin nodded without looking at them. He didn't know what to say or what to feel. One moment we was happy to finally able to see Donghae again, and now he had to say goodbye. Those ten years of being together through every tears and laughter made everything harder to let him go. Donghae was like a little brother to him. He was so fragile and all those ten years Sungmin had been nothing but taken care of him and protect him with everything he got. But who was he to stand on his way?

"Make sure you call me after you arrived." Sungmin said lowly, sadness was clearly painted on his voice and it was enough for Donghae to launched himself and hug Sungmin from behind, pulling the other body closer to himself and was scare to let him go as if he was going to disappear if he did.

"I will.." He said with shaky voice as he tried so hard not to cry. "I'll be back to visit you. I promise."

"You better be." Sungmin nodded, hands were clutching on Donghae's hands that were wrapped around his waist gently. "Or I'll come to Seoul and kick you."

"I wish I can explain everything. "Donghae mumbled against his shoulder. "I wish you can understand."

"Maybe I already do." Sungmin said. "Don't worry about me. Just take care of yourself, little brother."

A faint sob escaped Donghae's lips as well as a lone tear found it's way on his cheek. Hyukjae could only try to soothe him up by drawing endless and gentle circles on the crying man's back. He could feel the sincerity on Sungmin. And he was more than glad that they had found each other.

Sungmin was still staring blankly at his glass even after both Donghae and Hyukjae had left him at the bar. It was the beeping of his phone that snapped him back to reality. Lazily he pulled out his mobile phone from his pocket and scoffed as he saw the caller name on the display.

"Yeah .. "He answered lowly and waited for a brief moment for the other line to speak.

"I guess now your service is no longer needed."

Sungmin rolled his eyes. "I guess so. So I'm done taking care of him, now?"

"Yes. And we thank you for your service, Sungmin~ssi. You did a great job, just like your family always did in the past for us."

Sungmin hummed and gulped down his drink. His head started to spin.

"Will I be able to see him again?"

"I'm sure you will."

"Why must I lie to him? Why can I tell him the truth about me? about who I was and what I do? What my family had been doing for centuries for your kind?"

"Because that's how things should stay."

"So what's next?"

"As I say, you are free."

Sungmin nodded his head as tears rolled down his cheeks. "Then why does it feel so awful, Leeteuk~ssi? I feel like losing a part of my family."

"Sungmin~ssi, the bond between your family and Donghae's family are so strong for the past life. Your family had been protecting Donghae's ancestors, keeping them safe until our prince was born. He is with us now. He's part of us now."

"But I love him like a brother I never had." Sungmin said faintly. "Ever since I know him, I feel like he's part of my family."

"Then he is your family. It's a new start for both of you, a new start between two kind if I may say. Human kind should be more like you and your family, accepting each other and helping each other so we can live in peace."

Sungmin smiled as he nodded his head faintly. "I guess so."

"Good night, Sungmin~ssi. May you have a wonderful life ahead."

"Wishing you the same thing." Sungmin replied. "Good night, Leeteuk~ssi."

 

 

Donghae stared at the clouds outside the window countless time. He never been so happy being on a plane before. The last time he took the plane was to find Hyukjae, flying with heavy heart and constant worry. But not anymore. This time was different, because this time he flew with Hyukjae. They were finally heading home.

It took them a few weeks to get all the documentation ready before boarding the plane to Seoul. All their passports were of course expired and they were overstayed too long since they were only allowed to stay within ninety days. Good thing with Sungmin's help and a little bit of magic trick they finally get their documentation ready. Donghae couldn't get any happier when they arrived at the airport and just couldn't wait to fly back home.

But he was a little bit worry about Hyukjae. His husband was a bit restless leaving the house that he called a home for the past ten years. Donghae knew it was hard for him to leave that house and that cabin by the waterfalls that he loved the most. But one call he made to Seoul was enough to make him leave. He still remembered that day when he called Hyukjae's father and drop the bomb, telling him that he had found his son, telling him that Hyukjae was alright and leave the details unspoken of course. Donghae had to tell him that Hyukjae had an unfortunate accident and lost his memories and he was glad that Hyukjae's father didn't ask him further. Because despite everything, he just glad that his son was found at last and was well.

The first time Hyukjae spoke on the phone was two weeks after their wedding. The first time after ten years he got a chance to hear his father and his mother's voice again - even though most of the time it was the crying and and the sobbing he heard, but this he was grateful. It was her mother pleading asking him to come home that soften his heart.

Donghae averted his gaze from the clouds outside to the man that sat next to him. He had been quiet since they took off. For some reason he had his thought blocked, making it impossible for Donghae to read his mind and it worried him deeply.

"Hyukjae, what are you thinking right now? I can't read your m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter