This Love

My One-Shot/Drabbles Paradise

This Love.

 

Whenever she's around me, my senses become clouded. All I see is her. Words tend to leave me. Sometimes I forget to breathe entirely. Her voice is like that of an angel. She spoke to me yesterday. Something about an assignment that our professor had moved the due date of. It's winter, and my body can't seem to handle the cold season too well. I tend to get sick quite often, so I miss classes a little more frequently than normal.

I'd miss classes any day if it meant getting to speak with my angel. She's always doing what she can to help when someone is behind. Most would probably classify that as being a teacher's pet or goody-two-shoes, but she still remains popular. It's almost as if she just has this aura that draws people to her. Yet, she doesn't seem to ever date anyone. I noticed this some time ago.

"Jessi!" I snapped out of my thoughts and came face to face to her of my inner desires. Amidst my daydreaming, I didn't notice she was making her way over to me. Here she was, standing in front of me almost expectantly. So, I did what came so naturally. I stared at her blankly, almost glaring.

"What is it?" I didn't mean for it to sound as harsh as it did, but I could swear she almost visibly winced at my tone. 'I'm sorry. I don't know why I'm like this.'

"Oh, I was just coming to see how you were feeling today." A small smile formed on my lips before I quickly hid it and raised an eyebrow.

"It's supposed to snow tonight, you know?" Her eyes are so beautiful. It should really be a sin to be as perfect as this girl in front of me. God, so many cliche song lyrics are entering my head right now. Her voice is still the only thing keeping me somewhat in reality.

"I know you tend to fall ill, especially when it's cold, so I was just wondering how you were feeling is all."

"I'm fine." If I keep staring at her like this she's gonna think I'm a freak. Slowly I bend down and start putting my school books in my bag. I half expected her to leave, but instead she chose to lean on my desk. I looked back up at her as I inserted the last book into my backpack. "Was there something else?" I glanced over to her normal group of friends that happened to be staring in our direction. "Your entourage is waiting for you." She furrowed her brow and glanced at her friends.

"I don't think I'd call them an entourage, Jessi. Besides, I hang out with them everyday. They can survive if I'm not there for 5 minutes."

Hasn't it been more than 5 minutes? I'd swear with how sweaty my palms seem to be that she'd been here for half an hour. "But..." Her gaze found its way back to mine and I could sense a hint of hesitation. "There is gonna be a party tonight, at Sunny's place. It's kinda to celebrate midterms being over." Once again, I simply raised an eyebrow at her. Is she really asking what I think she is? "You should come, if you're feeling alright, of course."

"I don't know Sunny." I stood up and began putting on my coat. She pushed herself off of my desk and handed me my scarf.

"Well, if you came, you could meet her. You could also meet some of my other friends." I took the scarf and wrapped it around my neck as I started walking towards the classroom door. I was partially hoping my rude behavior would force her to stop pressing me into going, but all it did was egg her on. "Don't you want to make friends? You're always by yourself." I abruptly turned around, causing her to almost run into me. I froze as she grabbed the sides of my coat. I assume it was to keep from making both of us fall, but the effect it had was to render me speechless. As if I didn't already have a hard time around this girl, now she was basically asking me to attack her in the hallway. "You can't hide from people forever, Jessi." I was brought back to reality and my glare returned. I swatted her hands away from my coat and she took a step back, wide-eyed.

"You don't know me. I don't HIDE from anyone. I simply choose not to interact with those I have no interest in. Don't think that because you help me with my assignments on occasion when I'm sick that you all of the sudden know everything about me. If it weren't for our professor, you wouldn't even know who I am. So before you start planning a life for me, why don't you just go live your own life and leave me the hell alone."

I turned my back to her and made my way to the doors of the school. She looked shocked by my little outburst. Heck, I was shocked by my outburst. I really don't even know what came over me. Yeah, yelling at the girl will definitely make her like you. 'Ugh! Way to go, Jung.' I didn't look back. I didn't want to see the hurt in her eyes. Opening the door, I made my way outside...into the rain. Great. Just perfect. Why wouldn't it be raining? I stepped to the side and leaned against the wall of the brick school building. I forgot my umbrella today. Normally my mom would make sure I had it, but she was away this week. I actually never pay attention to the weather. I prefer not knowing. But today I wish I had checked. I leaned my head back and let out a sigh in frustration as I closed my eyes.

"Need an umbrella?" I opened my right eye, turning my head slightly. There she was. Still talking to me. Even though I had yelled in her face. She was still trying to talk to me. Surely this girl is an angel. She lifted her umbrella above my head. "I didn't bring an extra, but we can share."

I pushed myself off the wall and started walking without saying a word. She casually kept pace with me holding the umbrella above our heads. It wasn't until we made it to the bus stop that I realized I have no idea where she lives.

"Do you take this bus too?" I didn't let myself look at her, so I just stared at the ground while trying to keep myself warm and nuzzling my face more into my scarf.

"Yea. I normally take it later due to my after school activities, but no one wanted to do anything today on account of the rain." I simply nodded and stood as the bus neared. She shook the excess water off her umbrella as we boarded the bus, and I didn't say anything as she sat down next to me. There weren't that many people on the bus today. I guess no one likes rain. We sat silently for a while until I felt so overwhelmed with guilt that I couldn't hold it in.

"I didn't mean to blow up like that. It just happened." I still couldn't look at her, so I focused my attention out the window.

"It...just happened. That doesn't really seem like a good reason, but it's ok. I didn't mean to offend you." We became silent once more. I looked down at my hands and then at hers. She was shaking. I finally turned to look at her from head to toe. She was slightly hunched over in her seat, I assume trying to keep herself warm. Her face was really flushed. She looked really pale but also red from the cold. She's wearing a windbreaker. A windbreaker! Its freezing rain and she has on a light jacket?! I scoff and grab her hands instinctively. She immediately turned her head to look at me. I ignored it and focused on rubbing her hands.

"Are you crazy? You warn me about the weather and you're the one with hardly anything on. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?" I heard her chuckle and sniff.

"I was in a hurry, I guess. I'll try to remember gloves next time." She squeezed my hands, and we became silent once more, holding hands for warmth. This seriously felt like a dream come true.

"Jessi?" My eyes left our hands to go back to her flushed face. She really looked cold.

"Hmm?" She scooted a bit closer to me on the joined seat. I knew my face was flushed now, but I could easily blame the cold. She'd probably assume as much anyway.

"The professor's never asked me to bring you your work." My eyes focused on hers as she turned her head to look at me. "I just wanted to do it, to help you out." I rolled my eyes on impulse.

"Of course, pity the poor sick girl with no friends."

"No, I didn't mean for it to seem like that." She looked down at our hands again. "When's the first time you remember seeing me?" I paused for a second. This seemed like a really silly question. I leaned back in my seat and thought for a minute.

"It was just before Spring of last year, I believe. I had missed a week of classes. You came over to my desk and gave me notes and due dates for new assignments." She looked up at me again, and this time she smiled but...it didn't seem to reach her eyes. Her smiles always reached her eyes. Did I say something wrong? Did we meet before then? She just looked back down and didn't say anything.

The bus stopped, and I let go of her hands to stand. She followed my actions and when I started to get off, she grabbed my hand and followed. It was still raining a good bit, so she let go of my hand to open up her umbrella which I grabbed. She wasn't wearing gloves and she was freezing. "I'll carry it. You just lead the way." She simply nodded and started walking. I was too lost in my thoughts to notice at first, but slowly I began to recognize my surroundings. "Are you sure this is the way?" She nodded once more and grabbed my free hand. Seriously? I'm walking in the rain with the girl of my dreams and holding her hand. Did I die? Did I pass out in class and I'm dreaming right now? I have a tendency to fall asleep anywhere, so I wouldn't be surprised. Then we stopped. I looked at her quizzically as we stood in front of the mailbox reading 'JUNG'. "This is my house." She nodded again. "You're freezing, I should take you to YOUR house." I thought for a second. "But...how do you know where I live?"

"I've been your neighbor since middle school." She looked at me then. I'm sure the shock was evident on my face. Could that be true? It's not possible. I would've known if this perfect angel of a person lived right next door. Wouldn't I? "I wasn't sure until today on the bus, but it seems like I really have been invisible to you this entire time." This can't be right. She has to be joking. "The truth is, I've been trying to get your attention since then. You just never seemed to notice me." She looked toward my house. "When we got into the same college, I told myself that I would try my best to become friends with you. So, I worked out like crazy to get in shape and become a star athlete. I got contacts, though I still like to wear my glasses at home. I learned how to do my make-up and I dyed my hair."

I dropped the umbrella. Was this really happening? She did all that....for me? Was I that into myself that I never noticed? What does this mean? Is she... Is she confessing? "I'm...I'm nothing special. You shouldn't change yourself to get someone to notice you." She smiled and turned to face me, grabbing both my hands. We were getting soaked, but I was too mind-blown to even care. However, now I couldn't tell if it was the rain, or if tears were running down her cheeks.

"All I did was change my appearance a bit." She chuckled a bit. "I didn't change who I am." I let go of her one of her hands and her cheeks, lamely trying to dry them. As if that were possible in the freezing rain.

"Why?" My voice was almost a whisper. I don't know if I was asking her or myself. "Why would anyone do that for me?" She let go and started wiping her face with her own hands. She was laughing. To be honest, it sounded more like nervous laughter mixed with crying hiccups.

"People do crazy things....when the-" I didn't wait for her to finish. I grabbed her jacket and pulled her into me. I didn't miss the shocked expression on her face as I leaned in, my lips pressing against hers. I let go of her jacket and moved my hands up to grip her face as I turned for a better angle. My lips continuously moving against hers, creating our own type of dance as she began to respond. I felt her hands come up and cling to my coat. It was as if she was trying to pull me even closer, if that were even possible. I rested my forehead against hers as we pulled apart. We were both breathing heavily, breath clouds forming due to the cold, or maybe due to our heat. My eyes still lingering on her lips; her own eyes were closed. I definitely didn't feel cold anymore.

"I love you," I whispered. She giggled slash cry-hiccuped. I don't even know, but it made me smile. She gripped my coat tighter.

"I've been waiting so long to hear those words from you." I pulled back slightly causing her to open her eyes.

"It’s raining."

"Yes, it is." She smiled again, making my stomach flutter.

"We should go inside."

"Yes, we should." I gripped her hand and walked past my house to the one next door. There it was. The inevitable proof was hanging right in front of my face above the mailbox. 'HWANG'

"Who the hell wears a windbreaker when it’s freezing cold?" She laughed at the irritation in my voice as she unlocked her front door. I don't think I could ever get tired of the melodic sound. I shook off the excess water on my clothes and made my way inside. To think, I'd been living next to her and going to the same schools, all this time. As she reached for my coat to hang it up, she leaned in and placed a light kiss on my lips. She was still freezing, but we could easily change that. She wouldn't be going to any party tonight, but maybe I'd go with her next time. All this time I thought I was the one longing for her, when in reality she had been the one waiting for so long. With her lips still lightly touching mine, her next words sent tingles all over my body.

"I love you, too, Jessi."

This...This is the love we had been waiting for.

 

 

 

 


 

A/N: Ef my life. My beta and I had a lovely convo after this. We have a hate-hate relationship. XD She’s probably the best beta in the universe. <3 I’m gonna leave this here. LOL..