Chapter 1

The face I fell in Love with

An eleven year old boy named Donghae was once at the baker’s shop with his little brother. The younger sibling asked his big brother to buy him a donut with a cheese layer (which was actually custard). The boy started laughing but suddenly he heard another person laughing as well. He looked around and found an older girl behind him laughing, her big brown eyes twinkling with tears. It was love at first sight to him. Her long light brown curly hair flowed over her shoulders. Her complexion was of that of a peach and her face was untouched by make-up and zit-less. In his eyes she was simply perfect in every possible way. Even her scent astonished him. Donghae continued staring at her but when she was done buying , she left. He frequently returned to the same baker to see if he could see her beautiful face but nothing. What else could an eleven year old boy do besides that? She was nowhere to be found. She had disappeared.

Six years had passed and that boy was now seventeen years old. He had stopped going to that baker’s shop to look for that girl. He still thought about her from time to time but it was only for a brief moment. He had never seen that girl again....

One day, Donghae was riding his bicycle in the streets. While he was going back home from school he saw a person swaying from side to side. He looked at that person’s face and it looked so expressionless. Lifeless eyes caked with black eyeliner and a non-smiling mouth. He slowed down as he approached her and she looked slightly up and back down again. “Are you okay noona? “ he asked being the friendly kid that he always was even though sometimes he was a bit of a trouble maker. “Who are you? “ she asked while moving  forward and then stopped,  looked back and frowned.

He taught that it would be better if he kept paddling forward seeing how she had frowned at him but when he got further away from her he heard a big noise and  ran to where that women was just a few seconds ago. She was on the ground holding her knee. He ran over to her and helped her up. “Did you get hurt anywhere noona?” “No.I’m okay I just tripped in my shoe laces... Who are you again? “ she asked while she looked up showing her full face for the first time.

He stopped on the spot and stared at the girl. It was her. That girl he had seen when he was younger. His first love was now standing in front of him. He was holding her, helping her up, talking to her. But... what had actually happened to her? Where did that angelic smile go? And her long brown hair??? It was now cut short, straightened and dyed black. She smelled like cigarettes and alcohol now and her face was white. She had totally changed.

“Can you walk?“ he asked her with a gentle voice but when she tried to walk her ankle was twisted. “Get on my bike noona. I’ll take you home,“  he said with a smile that looked kind of devilish. She did as she was told and rode on the bike after him. She held onto his shirt at first but then, as he was riding faster she hugged his waist and he couldn’t really breathe since she was holding onto him for her dear life. “Where do you live noona? You haven’t told me yet.” “Stop“ she said and he instantly stopped. She got off and she stumbled her way to a door.  She opened it and went inside leaving the poor kid at the front door. She had left the door open and when he noticed that she was taking too long to come out again he went inside to check if she was okay.

He found her barfing in the toilet and ran over to pat her on the back. When she was done, she got up and threw herself on the bed with her clothes still on. “Are you okay? “ he asked her still a little bit in shock. “I’m sick.” “You’re-you’re sick?” She nodded and closed her eyes. He ran over to her and he tried to wake her up but she didn’t move an inch. He looked at her with frightened eyes and he started panicking when suddenly...

…he heard her snoring.  Not any normal snore.  One of those pig-snores that scare the out of you when you hear them.  He chuckled and he picked up his phone. He dialled his mother’s number and she soon picked it up. ”Oh hi omma. I’m going to sleep over at my friend’s house because we have to study for tomorrow’s test.” “Finally my son is becoming interested in studying.” “Yeah yeah. Anyway see you tomorrow.  I’ll come early in the morning to get my books.” “Okay goodnight son.I won’t be back tonight so I hope you took your keys with you” He didn’t say anything back. He just hung up and then he looked at the passed out girl that was lying on the bed.

Morning came and the girl woke up from her sleep.She stretched her hands and yawned over and over again. She looked around while rubbing her eyes and wondered how she had gotten home. She swinged sideways and was about to step out of bed when she felt something underneath her feet. The girl looked down and found a man sleeping with his mouth open. She decided to investigate him so she lifted her legs on the bed again and got off of it from the other side. She went to get a broom from the back room and then went back into her bedroom holding it. She poked him with it but he didn’t move. She poked him again and this time he turned to his side while he grumbled “Let me sleep five more minutes omma.” ‘’Hmmm. He must still be a student then,’’ she thought while noticing his uniform which was still on him from last night.

For some reason the sight of this boy irritated her. He seemed very handsome even though he was still young and that irritated her even more. ”YAH!!!! GET UP RIGHT NOW. “He was surprised by the sudden loudness so he stood up in an instant and looked around with big round eyes. “Who the hell are you?“ she said while holding the broom in her hands with a firm grip. ”Noona. Please don’t hurt me. I just saw you on the street when you fell and I offered to take you home on my bike.” He screamed while he held up his hands in defence. “But why are you here?” “I stayed with you because you passed out in case something happened to you.” “Still you haven’t told me who you are.”

“Oh right... Can you please put that broom down first? You’re kind of scaring me.” “Don’t make me use it” She said while pushing it towards the boy. “Arasso. I’m Donghae. Lee Donghae.” “Hmm, Donghae... what a weird name you have. I presume you’re still in school seeing your uniform.” “Yeah noona. What is your name?” “I’m Tiffany.”  “Tiffany noona? Ok I’ll call you that!” “Whatever. Now get out. It’s already 7.00 or you’ll be late to school.” She pushed him out the door while grabbing his bag and closed it behind her. He pouted and walked over to his bike. He rode it and as he was about to leave he heard Tiffany’s door open again. He looked back with a smiling face but that smile soon disappeared when he saw a man going into Tiffany’s house. The man took a last glimpse at Donghae before he entered and closed the door again.

Donghae looked down feeling sad and left the scene as he peddled his way to his house.’Who was the person that went to her house?’he asked himself as he sighed.