Part 11- A shot straight to the head

The Bus Stop

 

She rested her head against the bar counter, oblivious to the stains of spilt drinks and the constant hustle behind her, as people tried to grab some bar space to order their drinks. Yuri had her back against her, talking to a girl she had recognized- one of her yoga students. She had introduced her to Taeyeon but at that point she had been too busy downing a neat vodka shot and had only waved lazily before turning to the bartender for another. Hyoyeon too had joined Yuri’s conversation, after she had refused to keep drinking, alleging that her stomach was about to explode from doing shots and that she’d rather take it easy with a long cocktail for now. Jessica had left for the bathroom and when she had come back, she’d tried to wrestle Taeyeon out of her Aftershock shot, to no avail, since she had managed to gulp it down and had grinned stupidly afterwards, causing Jessica to storm away angrily about ‘Yuri being an irresponsible idiot’ and Hyoyeon ‘being a drunk moron’.

She sat alone, then, playing with the empty glass, twirling it around her fingers.

‘Hey, you okay kid?’ one of the bartenders asked.

‘Can I get another?’ she waved the shot glass in front of her.

The guy seemed hesitant.

‘How about a soft drink or something? Red bull?’ he added helpfully.

Taeyeon shrugged.

‘Yeah, Red Bull’s good. Mix it with a Jagger shot’

‘Are those your friends?’ he gestured towards Yuri, her student and Hyoyeon.

‘Nope’

‘You don’t know them?’

‘Nope’

‘You girls were talking though and having shots’ his tone was more persistent ‘are you sure?’

‘Nope’

He wiped the counter around Taeyeon and collected her glass.

‘How much?’ Taeyeon asked, fishing out her debit card.

He shook his head.

‘No, can’t do ma’am. I think it’s better if you call it a night. Otherwise I might have to call security’

She shot him a deadly glance.

‘What the for? I’m not being violent or anything’

‘You nearly fell asleep on the counter. Passing out and things like that…I’m not allowed to, club policy’ he reached out and tapped Yuri’s shoulder ‘Excuse me’

Yuri shrugged him away as she kept talking animatedly with the other two.

‘Hey, Miss’ he pulled at her clothes ‘Is this your friend?’

‘Taeyeon?’

‘Yes’

‘Yeah, why you want her number?’

‘No, look she can’t be-‘

‘Totally, its, let me look it up on my phone’

Taeyeon glared at Yuri angrily. Sure, her vision may be slightly unfocused right now and her fingers seemed to be made of butter. And yeah, she felt like she was carrying a ing rock on her head that was weighing her down  and yeah, she was beginning to get stomach aches from that stupid cheap vodka but still, she was sober enough to know that Yuri was trying to hook her up with the bastard that wouldn’t even give her her drink. Which she was more than willing to pay for.

She got up from the stool and pushed Yuri, who tumbled into her student.

‘ OFF, KWON’ she yelled at the top of her voice ‘YOU TRAITOR SETTING ME UP WITH THIS SON OF A WHO WON’T GIVE ME A DRINK’

She pointed angrily at the bartender.

‘I hate you, man. I liked you before, but now I don’t’ she shook her head dramatically. The rock on her head had magically disappeared and it its place a fiery sensation took over her body, burning through her blood.

Yuri turned around. She too, had definitely had too much to drink.

‘THE ! I WAS HELPING YOU, YOU BUCKET FACE’

‘I DON’T LOOK LIKE A BUCKET!’

‘YEAH YOU DO!’ Hyoyeon suddenly added.

Yuri’s student quietly edged away from the group.

‘SHUT UP HYO, NOBODY ASKED YOU’

The bartender picked up a walkie-talkie and spoke into it. Taeyeon turned to him.

‘Hey, hey, no need to call security, okay? Okay? I’m leaving. ing dump’

She tried pulling her friends with her, but they shrugged her away.

‘Fine, fine’

She glared at the bartender once last time.

‘I’m leaving now, okay?’

The bartender nodded.

‘Yeah, I think that’s the best thing to do. Get one of the security guys to call you a taxi’

‘ off’ Taeyeon replied ‘I told you, I’m not interested in you’

She walked away, trying to keep her balance, but her vision was getting worse by the minute. If she wasn’t so drunk, she might have sworn her blood pressure was low, probably from getting up so suddenly after being quasi-passed out for ten minutes. She made her way to where she thought the exit was, or at least had been the last hour.

She bumped into someone. But instead of falling down, or picking up a fight she just slumped against them.

Why not, it’s nice, she thought. They were warm, and not sweaty for some reason and they smelt nice. She allowed her body to slump even more, until she felt a pair of arms grabbing her, trying to get her to stand up.

‘Hey, hey, are you okay?’

‘Shall I get a bouncer? A taxi?’

Taeyeon didn’t move. She was quite enjoying it. It made a nice change to all the yelling and the adrenaline rushes from before. Besides, she liked this person. They weren’t sweaty or wet or moist like the walls, the other people or that stupid counter. They smelt nice, they really did. God, this was quite a soft and huggable person too. Could she keep them as a toy? She could just lay them out on her bed and hug them to sleep. That’d be nice.

But wait. This wasn’t really fair. This person was just too soft.

A thought crossed her mind.

Did they know how huggable they were?

Wasn’t it a crime that they should lead their lives without knowing it?

‘It is!’ Taeyeon replied enthusiastically. And proceeded to hug the stranger as a form of appreciation.

She felt the stranger tighten in her embrace. She looked up, saddened at the reaction.

‘You don’t like it?’

‘Erm, n-no, it’s not that’

Was she making them uncomfortable with her presence? Oh, no, that’d be horrible. This was such a nice person. She stared at them expectantly.

‘It-it’s just that it’s a bit sudden, right?’ the person looked up and smiled. They had a lovely eye-smile.

A lovely eye-smile…

‘wait, hobo girl?’ the stranger took a step back. Taeyeon fell to the floor.

‘ TIFFANY!’ she yelled in realization.

‘Taeyeon?’ another voice called. This time it was deeper.

‘Oppa?’ she guessed.

At that point, a pair of arms slid underneath her armpits and pulled her back up.

‘AND JESSICA!’ she recognized the voice belonging to her friend. ‘What a coincidence, isn’t it wonderful that we’re all here together!’

***

Taeyeon looked around bewildered. All that she knew was that the huggable stranger had turned into a three-headed monster composed of -Tiffany, Jiwoong and Jessica.

‘Taeyeon, you okay?’ it was her brother’s voice. He sounded worried. Pfft, he probably was too worried about having to wake up early tomorrow.

‘Yeah , she is’ she felt Jessica hauling her up and holding her tightly by the waist.

‘Keep your trap shut’ she heard Jessica whisper angrily. She nodded in response.

‘She doesn’t look okay, Jessica’

Was it her or was her brother sounding angrier by the minute? Nah, she didn’t even care. She was just going to sleep.

She felt someone- Jessica, pinching her arm.

‘Keep awake or you’re dead’ she whispered again. Taeyeon nodded. After all, if that meant she could go to sleep faster.

‘It’s because she bumped into someone and I think pulling her up- low blood pressure and that’

Jessica’s voice was quite pleasant, Taeyeon thought. It was like a Disney princess or something. She made a note to tell her later.

‘She should go home though’

‘Yeah, we’re going now, actually. Yuri and Hyoyeon are waiting outside’

‘I’ll go with-‘

‘NOO!’

‘No?’

‘Don’t worry about us. Hey, where did that girl go by the way?’

‘Who?’

‘The one that was here right now’

‘Oh…yeah’

Wow, he sounded disappointed. Stupid idiot.

 ‘Erm, yeah it was like she was here right now and then she left. Dissapeared.’ Jessica continued. ‘Magic, huh?’ Taeyeon snorted at the lame attempt to change topic.

 ‘Did Taeyeon know her or something?’

Was his voice shaking?

‘I think she just bumped into her or something and was apologizing’

‘Alone?’

Yeah, that’s right. I know your secret Jiwoong. I totally do.

‘Erm, yeah. Yeah, well, we’ll be going now, right Taeyeon?’

Taeyeon nodded. Or rather, she let her head fall and relied on Jessica to bring it back up again.

‘Yeah, look, she agrees. So erm, bye, oppa!’

‘Yeah, see you Jessica’

Taeyeon felt her body being dragged away. Then a slap to her face.

‘OUCH’ she yelled. Her cheek was stinging.

‘Jessica, what was that for? It really hurts and I want to sleep’

‘I’m not dragging you all the way to the exit. Come on, walk yourself…and open your eyes for ’s sake. I’m so going to kill those two…’

‘Aren’t they outside?’

‘God knows where they are. Let’s go’

She felt Jessica’s grip tighten as she was frog-marched outside. Twice in the space of one week.