---

London, our best place.

 

Key woke up to a buzzing sound. He looked over at his nightstand and saw his phone vibrating. He thought it was his alarm going off, but when he looked at the screen, he saw that he had received a text. His heart started beating faster, hoping it was Minho. He let out an annoyed sigh when he realized that it was just Jonghyun.

‘How are things in London? I hope you and Minho are getting along. kekekeke.’

Key rolled his eyes. He started typing.

‘Everything’s perfect. Minho and I are getting along just fine.’

He hit the send button. He hated lying to his best friend, but he wasn’t in the mood to start explaining what had happened between them. Plus, he didn’t want to worry him.

He got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. He looked at himself in the mirror and pouted. He hated what he was seeing at the moment. His eyes were puffy and red from crying all night. He had tried not to, but it had been inevitable. Now, he had to deal with the mess that was his face and try to look as presentable as he could for the cameras.

He jumped in the shower, letting the hot water run down his body. He felt his muscles relax, but his mind was still running wild. No matter what he did, he couldn’t stop thinking about Minho. It had gotten even worse ever since he had moved in his guest house. It had been two days now since they had seen each other and even though they hadn’t parted in the best terms, Key still wished he could see him.

He regretted saying that things couldn’t go back to the way they were. He wanted nothing more than to keep this friendship. He had let his emotions get the better of him during this trip and he hated himself for that. It had to stop. When he’d see Minho again, he would apologize and ask that he forget about the last few days so they could go back to being their normal selves.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Minho sighed of relief. He could finally have some time to himself. He looked out the window, taking in the beautiful sceneries that they were passing by. He loved being on a train. It made him feel so relaxed.

He smiled. He couldn’t wait to get to Sunderland. He would finally be able to enjoy his vacation, without having to deal with Key and his weird behavior.

‘Why does everything have to be so complicated with him?’ he thought, shaking his head.

He was really hoping that he could get his mind off his friend when he would arrive there. Ever since they had gone their separate ways, he hadn’t stop thinking about their last conversation. He couldn’t get over the fact that Key was... he could even think it. He just couldn’t understand it. The only explanation he had come up with was that his friend was going through a phase and that it would be over soon. It was the perfect explanation… well, to be honest, it was the most reassuring one.

In the back of his mind, he knew it wasn’t right. Key wouldn’t have revealed so much to him if it weren’t really serious. That’s what scared him. As much as he’d like to share those feelings, he couldn’t. He wasn’t gay. That one time they had kissed, he had liked it, but he was convinced it was because he hadn’t touched a girl in so long. And, even if he was gay, he was sure Key wouldn’t be his type.

He closed his eyes, telling himself that they would never be more than friends. It wasn’t even something to consider.  

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Key closed the door behind him. He put his shopping bags on the futon and ran to his bed. He jumped on it, laughing as his body collided with the mattress. He was happy, because he was starting to feel like his old self again. He had enjoyed his day and even though he had thought about Minho from time to time, it hadn’t hindered his pleasure.

He had promised himself he would move on. It would take time, but he was confident he would get over him. He had carried those consuming emotions for too long now and it was time for him to let go.

In a way, he was glad things had turned out the way they did. He was now sure that Minho would never return his feelings and that meant that he wouldn’t have to mindlessly hope for more. Of course it hurt to have reality hit him in the face like that, but it was better than to live in a lie. If that trip had done one thing, it was to have opened his eyes.

He took his phone and looked up Minho’s number. He would apologize while he still had the courage to do so. He waited as he heard the ringing sounds.

"Hello?" he heard at the other end.

"Hey. It’s me."

"I know… I have caller ID."

Key was started to panic. Minho didn’t sound happy.

"Um… How are things over there?" he asked matter-of-factly.

"It’s raining, but everything’s fine. Why are you calling?" he asked back, annoyed.

"I just… I missed you."

Minho cringed.

"Key, I have to go now…"

"No, wait!!!  I called to say that…" Key stopped, gathering his thoughts. He took a deep breath and said, "I’m sorry."

Minho’s eyes widened. He’d never thought he would hear Key apologize to him.

"For what?"

"For everything. I’m really sorry for ruining our time together and getting mad. I was being childish. You don’t have to worry about my feelings anymore… I am moving on; I just want us to stay friends."

Minho froze. ‘Is he…serious?’ he thought.

"Oh, well… that’s great. I’m happy to hear that."

"Okay, good. I’ll let you go now. Byyee."

Minho didn’t even have time to reply; Key had already hung up. He felt weird. He should’ve been really happy to hear that Key was moving on, but he wasn’t. He just felt incredibly sad.