Walk In The Park

One Ok Rock

 

“Now put the leash on the loop that’s attached to the collar. Hold him still.” Taka instructed me as he pointed out each specific area.

Dreamer kept my hand and squirming as I put the leash on him. He had a matching red collar and leash. A golden name-tag in the shape of a bone with the word “Dreamer” hung on to the front of his collar.

“Are you ready to go, leader?” Taka asked as he brushed some hair out of his eyes.

“Yeah. Is this where I put my hand?” I asked as I held on to the loop of the leash.

“Yeah. Now hold on really tight because he will try to drag you around.” Taka said as he held the door open for me.

I picked Dreamer up and carried him down the steps.

Once we were outside I placed Dreamer on the ground. He sat down looking around at everything.

“Is he supposed to do this?” I asked.

“Yeah. He’ll get up in a second. Just keep holding on to that leash tightly. Don’t let go.”

Taka started to walk down the sidewalk. Dreamer perked up and started following after his owner. Taka slowed down and waited for me to catch up to him.

“You’re doing really well. I’m surprised he hasn’t tried to drag you off yet. Ryota took him for a walk yesterday and they both came back covered in mud.” Taka said through laughter as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

Dreamer led us to a nearby park. There were only a few other people around walking their dogs. He started sniffing around on the ground before he found a place to drop another surprise. Taka pulled out a small bag from his pocket and handed it to me.

“You have to pick it up. Use this bag. I think the garbage can is right over there.” Taka said as he pointed to a black can sitting nearby.

I bent down and picked up the evidence with the bag and made a disgusted face. Dreamer just sniffed around the area before he walked off.

I disposed of the evidence in the garbage can before we started walking again. I could feel Dreamer tugging at the leash. He was getting anxious to walk some more.

“You want me to take over?” Taka asked as he started to grab the leash.

“Nahh. I think I’ve got the hang of this.” I said, watching Taka put his hand back in his pocket.

Just then, I watched Dreamer perk up his ears and let out a loud bark. I looked in his direction to see what it was. A squirrel stood there on the sidewalk. Before I could say anything, Dreamer was pulling me along as fast as he could down the hill.

I could barely keep up with the puppy as he chased the squirrel through the park. Other dog owners just stood by waiting to see what would happen next. I could hear Taka yelling after me but I couldn’t make out the words.

I didn’t notice the pond in the horizon until it was too late.

I found myself going underwater still clutching on to the leash. When I came back up to the surface I started coughing and hacking a lung up. I scanned the pond to find Dreamer. He was swimming in the water with his tongue hanging out. Dumb dog, I muttered under my breath.

I looked around to see if I could spot Taka anywhere. I found him wading through the small crowd up people that had appeared at the edge of the pond. I heard a kid say, “Look! There’s a man swimming in the water. Mommy, can I get in there too?” To which the mother replied, “No sweetie. That man is just a drunk. See, he’s swimming with his clothes on.”

I wanted to say something to the woman but I was too cold to think about that.

Taka helped pull me out of the water. I handed the leash to him after that.

“Are you okay, Toru?” Taka asked. His face showed worry and concern.

“I thought you would be asking the dog that.” I flatly stated as I shook out my soaked hair.

“No. I’m concerned about you. He’s a dog. Plus he’s a natural born swimmer. You’re my friend and I want to make sure that you’re okay.” Taka replied.

“Yeah. I’m fine. Thanks.” I mumbled.

“Good. Let’s get you back to my place then. You need to shower and dry off.” Taka said, pulling Dreamer along behind him.

~~~

The hot water felt good against my frozen skin. Steam filled up the entire bathroom. I ran my hands over my face and through my hair. The water from the shower began to relax my muscles. A quiet knock on the door interrupted me.

“Can I come in?” Taka quietly asked.

“Yeah. It’s unlocked.” I said.

I heard Taka open the door and drop something on the counter.

“I put your towel and clothes here on the counter. I really am sorry about what happened today. He’s just-“

“He’s just a puppy. I know. Thanks for the towel.” I said coldly.

I could tell that I had upset Taka. He didn’t say anything else. I heard the door close soon after.

I hopped out of the shower and quickly dried off. I threw my clothes back on. My clothes were still warm. They must have just come out of the dryer.

When I walked back into the living room I found Taka lying down on the couch, staring at the tv. I wanted to say something but the words wouldn’t come out.

“Hey. I’m gonna go now. Thanks again. I’ll uhh see you tomorrow.” I said.

Taka didn’t say anything. He just nodded.

“I’m sorry.” I said as I opened the door and stared at the ground.

“I know. I’m sorry too.” Taka said through a saddened voice.

I headed out into the darkened street hoping that tomorrow would be a better day.

                                                                     To Be Continued….

Author's Note: *I haven't decided if I want to romantically ship Toru/Taka yet. I'd love to hear your opinions on it though to help me decide what I should do. Thanks.* ^_^