New Best Friend

One Ok Rock

 

He stood there staring at me with puppy dog eyes, and a pout on his lips. Had he lost his mind? What was he thinking?

“Please, Leader?” Taka asked, still staring at me with those sad brown eyes.

“No.” I snapped back.

The curly-haired vocalist just crossed him arms and stood there looking at me with a sulking expression on his face. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that he was really upset about this. I sighed, and knew I would regret my decision later.

“Fine. He stays with you though,” I said, as I watched the vocalists’ eyes light up.

Taka gave me a quick hug, and ran over to the pet carrier that was hidden in the corner.

He pulled out an eight week old Chocolate Labrador from the carrier. I watched as the puppy opened its eyes and Taka’s cheek. Taka laughed and scratched the puppy’s chin.

Taka still cradled the puppy in his arms as he approached me.

I had to admit that this puppy was cute, but I was never a big fan of having pets.

“Did you come up with a name for him yet?” I asked as I patted the lab’s head.

The puppy started to my hand and eventually between my fingers. I let out a groan but Taka just let out a slight laugh. They both watched me as I wiped my saliva infested hand on my jeans.

“Yeah. I did. I thought about it for quite a while but I eventually found the perfect name. I’m going to call him Dreamer,” Taka said as he the puppy’s head.

“Dreamer, ehh? I think it suits him well.” I replied as I scratched the sleeping puppy’s ear.

Dreamer let out a soft whimper as Taka put him back in the carrier.

“He has all his shots, right? Has he been fed and given water? Make sure he gets properly trained,” I said as taka picked up the carrier.

The vocalist just nodded at me and waved goodbye as he took his new best friend home. A wave of jealousy crashed over me. I was Taka’s best friend, surely he wouldn’t replace me with some dog. I shook the thoughts away from my mind. Yeah, right. It’s just a dog. I have nothing to worry about. I silently laughed at myself. Me? Jealous of a dog? How ridiculous that is.

                                                                            ~~~

The walk to Taka’s place seemed much longer than normal. I walked along the sidewalk with my hands in my pockets, and kicked a small pebble along the path. It was late afternoon, but the city was crowded with people. The streets were always crowded with people.

I knocked on the door three times before he finally answered. Taka stood in his doorway dressed in grey sweats and a plain white shirt with his red beanie hat on his head. I looked down at the ground to see Dreamer Taka’s feet.

Taka let out a loud laugh that startled the puppy, and caused him to run off into another room.

He ushered me in to his place. I heard something squeak and looked under my shoe to find myself stepping on a squeaky toy.

Dreamer heard the toy and he ran full speed into my legs nearly knocking me on the ground.

“Oi, Dreamer! You dog!” I yelled at the puppy as he whimpered and cowered behind Taka.

Taka stood there with his arms crossed giving me an evil glare.

“He’s just a puppy, Toru. He doesn’t know any better. You should apologize to him.”

“You want me to apologize to a….a….dog?!” I said, as my cheeks heated up from frustration.

Taka just stared at me with such a fearful look that it caused me to take a step back. I hated that look. He didn’t show that look often but when he did it was never for anything good.

“Fine. I’m sorry for yelling at you little one.” I said sweetly as I crouched down to pet the puppy.

The puppy slowly leaned towards my hand before he allowed me to touch him. He happily barked at me and began wagging his tail. His owner stayed silent, but gave me a nod of approval.

“So what brings you here, leader?” Taka asked as he sat down on the couch.

“It’s Thursday night. We always watch a movie together once a week on Thursday nights. Don’t you remember?” I asked as I raised my eyebrow.

Taka scratched his chin before an Oh! Escaped his lips.

“Yeah! I totally forgot what day it is. Dreamer has been keeping me very busy. Isn’t it your turn to pick the movie?” He asked as he switched on the tv and grabbed some movies from the shelf.

“Hmmm….how about comedy?” I said, touching my finger to my mouth.

Taka held out two comedy movies for me to choose from. Dreamer waddled over to his owner and the DVD case that was in his left hand. We both couldn’t help but laugh at what just happened.

“Looks like he voted for you, Toru.” Taka said through giggles.

I laugh and nodded at him. Taka pulled out the disc from the slobber filled case and popped it into the DVD player.

I went to take my place beside Taka on the couch. The previews were just starting when I heard a whimper beside me. I looked down on the ground to see two large chocolate eyes staring at me. I sighed and placed the puppy next to me on the couch. Dreamer my hand and rested his head on my lap. I smiled a little and the puppy. Moments like this almost made me want a pet, almost.

                                                                     To Be Continued…