Epilogue

Somewhere Between the Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

EPILOGUE

 

 

“Here, this is good I swear say ahhh~”

 

Hyukjae blushes but opens his mouth and eats the swig of pancakes Donghae is offering. His best friend grins before tilting his head and grabbing a napkin, the next thing Hyukjae knows are insistent hands wiping the side of his lips. Donghae beams once again, slicing and eating a pancake on his own with the same fork he used in feeding Hyukjae. Said man can’t help but to feel his cheeks heat up, grabbing the glass of cold water and taking one big gulp.

 

A few minutes later, and more spoonfuls from Donghae even though Hyukjae could manage on his own, the two finally finish their break—dinner, since it’s 7 in the evening but Sungmin’s café only offers morning meals. It’s also time for them to go home, and Donghae excuses himself to use the restroom before they go. Hyukjae watches the other’s retreating back, his left cheek resting on his palm, his left arm prop against the table. He chuckles a little when Donghae starts skipping the last few steps before entering the restroom, his head turning to gaze back at Hyukjae and when he finds out he’s looking, a huge beam appears on his face. Hyukjae flushes yet again but smiles back, how can he not when Donghae’s grin is so infectious he just can’t help but to feel little elephants rolling in his tummy. The brunette disappears inside and Hyukjae lets out a sigh.

 

He wonders how one person can be so endearing.

 

He smiles to himself, his eyes travelling from the restroom’s door back to their table and lets out a little yelp when he sees Sungmin before him, his arm prop on the table and cupping his own cheek just like Hyukjae. His friend lets out a long, exaggerated sigh that has Hyukjae frowning and asking him why.

 

“My problem is you guys.”, Sungmin points out, the dreamy look he is sporting earlier (which Hyukjae could only guess to be a poor imitation of his own face) all gone. Now Sungmin wears an expression of annoyance, his eyes turning into slits as he looks at Hyukjae. “You guys flirt and sweet talk a lot more sugary and irritating than all the high school sweethearts that ever date in this café!”, Sungmin remarks and Hyukjae coughs a little. “Makes me want to puke marshmallows and honey syrup, really, you guys are way passed the teenage years already!”

 

Hyukjae feels the blood pulsating at the tip of his ears, taking another gulp of water before huffing at Sungmin. “You’re just cranky because you can’t hook up with college boys anymore.”

A triumphant smile tugs Hyukjae’s lips when Sungmin widens his eyes and now it is him who reaches for the glass of water to take a gulp of it. Fanning his heated face, the cafe owner glares at Hyukjae.

 

“Excuse you, I can still hook up with whoever I want, ok?”, he says, his tone defensive and Hyukjae merely shrugs.

“Yes you can. But you won’t. Because there’s Mr. Prince Charming.”, Hyukjae utters with a grin and Sungmin gapes at him, biting his lip as scarlet hue covers his cheeks.

“Excuse me, this definitely has nothing to do with—What are you doing here?!”

 

Sungmin’s gaze shifts at the direction of the door, and Hyukjae needs not to look to know who the newcomer is. He hides a smile and notices how Sungmin suddenly looks nervous, his face in a deep shade of red while Hyukjae hears a light chuckle  approaching footsteps. Soon enough a tall handsome man, armed with a bouquet of white tulips, appears before them. Sungmin purses his lips and looks away.

 

“Why are you here?”, Sungmin mutters and Hyukjae snorts.

“You mean to say, why is he here just now?”, he teases and Sungmin kicks him under the table but hits the table’s leg instead. Sungmin whimpers, and in an instant Mr. Good-Looking is beside him.

 

“Are you okay, babe?”

“Shut up Choi Siwon, I’m not your babe!”, Sungmin exclaims but immediately regrets it when Siwon just smiles and kisses his cheek, saying that of course he is. He grunts and elbows Siwon’s side before standing up and strutting over the counter. Siwon groans but he looks pleased, Hyukjae shakes his head and chuckles to himself.

 

“So are you alone or are you with Donghae?”, Siwon asks him once he’s done staring at Sungmin. Hyukjae stops laughing at once.

“Why are you looking for Donghae?”, Hyukjae asks in a rather venomous tone and Siwon looks slightly taken aback but Hyukjae suddenly grins and waves his hand. “I’m just kidding. He’s in the restroom, and I think he’s taking way too long now to be honest.”, Hyukjae mutters more to himself, eyeing the restroom back and wonders why Donghae hasn’t come back yet.

 

“Oh Hyukjae, for a second I thought you’re really mad. No need to be jealous of me, you know. My heart is only for Sungmin.”, Siwon utters and Hyukjae stares back at him with a frown.

“I’m not jealous of you.”, he says flatly. Well, not anymore. But it isn’t necessary for Siwon to hear that part.

Siwon just shakes his head and grins, placing the bouquet of flowers over the table. “You don’t have to hide it Hyukjae, Sungmin already told me.”

“Told you what?”

“About your feelings for Donghae, and how you were jealous of me because you thought we’re together. Well yeah, we were, but that only lasted for three days because he’s too occupied looking for you. And not that we’re really into each other in the first place, you know, we didn’t even kiss.”, Siwon utters and Hyukjae can only stare.

“But I didn’t.. I didn’t tell Sungmin anything..”, he whispers and Siwon must have heard it because he immediately waves his hand frantically as if to say no.

“Oh I think he said he heard it from one of his ex-boyfriends, who is also your friend. I can’t remember the name..”, Siwon says with his thick eyebrows in a scrunch and Hyukjae frowns because he doesn’t know any of Sungmin’s ex-boyfriends. They’re all a bunch of college students anyway—

“Oh I remember! I think he’s the one who held his birthday in here over a month ago? You know the drunkard with a big mouth who spilled your secret?”

 

ing—

Cho the ing Kyuhyun.

 

Hyukjae swallows the rest of his water before placing the glass quite harshly on the table. Siwon even jumps a bit in surprise.

“How much more did he tell you?”, Hyukjae asks, his voice a little deadly.

“Oh.. that’s pretty much it all I think.”, Siwon answers, finding Hyukjae a little strange. The other sighs heavily though, thinking of ways on how to choke the life out of his roommate when Siwon suddenly speaks again.

“Wait, I remember another. He also told Sungmin about that night after that party, when your friend exposed you and you and Donghae fought, and then he went back to Mokpo with me the morning after? He said you cried over it oh Lord you’re so silly. You should have just called him!”, Siwon chuckled and Hyukjae squeezes his eyes shut and tries to cover his face. He doesn't really fancy recalling that.

 

Well of course he thought Siwon and Donghae we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter