1/3

Somewhere Between the Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s just another ordinary day in the life of Lee Hyukjae.

 

That was, at least, what he expected when he went out for work that morning.

 

He leads a life with a typical routine. Apartment, bus, a short walk along the busy streets of Apgujeong, a stopover in Sungmin’s café for his breakfast, timing in for work, a day of laborious dance routines and keeping up with playful trainees,  time off, some errands he has to do, bus again and finally back in the confines of his humble apartment. If Kyuhyun, his roommate, decides to be nice for the day, there’ll be dinner waiting for him when he comes home. But that rarely happens so on most days, cooking dinner comes before washing up, some late night TV shows and sleep. Then his clock starts ringing at 5 in the morning and the cycle begins again. It’s monotonous, but Hyukjae doesn’t ask for anything more.

 

But today’s different. Hyukjae feels it the time he steps out of his apartment building but he isn’t entirely sure how. Probably because Kyuhyun’s already up at 6 in the morning? And that’s a record because his roommate doesn’t wake up until it’s time for lunch. Or maybe because the grumpy halmeoni accepts the bus seat he offers without yelling at him this time. Or perhaps it’s because Sungmin isn’t his usual nosey self. Or his students are much more serious improving their footwork than messing around with him. Today is in all actuality different from the previous days but Hyukjae doesn’t really realize that until he receives a call from Sungmin, while shopping for his and Kyuhyun’s dinner, telling him to stop by his coffee shop immediately. Curious what seems to be the matter, and a little worried because Sungmin doesn’t call at that time of the night unless it’s important, Hyukjae rushes over his café in an instant.

 

All of his anxieties die down however, the moment he opens the door and sees the man Sungmin is talking to. The auburn hair, the boyish grin, the heartfelt laughter and the face Hyukjae hasn’t seen since that graduation after party four years ago.

 

Sungmin is in the middle of his speech when he notices him and stops. He calls Hyukjae’s name and the other man turns to look at him.

 

Ahh there he is, the face he could never forget, flashing that big smile of his the moment their eyes meet.

 

“Hey.”

“H-Hey.”

 

And Hyukjae comes to comprehend that, indeed, today is anything but ordinary.

 

-

 

 

“I’m sorry I came in a short notice. But I was already expecting Sungmin will have me over since he kept on telling me to come here, I didn’t know his landlord is strict and now I don’t really have anyone to turn to—“

“It’s okay! You don’t need to explain I’m totally fine with it and it’s not like it’s a big deal—“

“You see! I don’t even know why you’re apologizing I mean—you guys are best friends! Well, technically, were best friends but there’s no such thing because friends are forever and I would totally love to keep you guys here and talk about everything but I need to close the shop so go go, see you tomorrow!”

 

And that’s how Hyukjae finds himself in the bus stop that evening, beside a bashful and apologetic Donghae and his suitcase. They’re quiet and that’s because neither knows what to say so they wordlessly wait for the bus to come pick them up. Hyukjae’s phone keeps on beeping, and with every beep is a very angry message from Kyuhyun asking him where the hell is he and he’s dead hungry. The bus comes and Hyukjae helps Donghae with his suitcase before purposely ignoring him throughout the whole ride as he responds to his roommate.

 

They’ve hopped off the bus, crossed the street, rode the lift up, and walked towards Hyukjae and Kyuhyun’s shared apartment before Donghae has plucked up the courage and grabs Hyukjae’s hand, momentarily stopping him from unlocking the door.

 

There’s that electrifying feeling at the touch of their skin, and Hyukjae inwardly groans because four years and Donghae’s effect on him is still the same. He initially thought of pulling his hand away but Donghae must have seen that coming because he grips even tighter. Hyukjae’s breathe hitches, and gulping painfully, he raises his gaze and stares at Donghae.

 

The warm brown eyes remind him of too many memories it renders him speechless.

 

“Hyuk—“, Donghae starts, hesitates and averts his gaze for a second, before speaking again. “Are you sure it’s okay?”

 

Hyukjae is a tad bit puzzled with the question but then he realizes that this is the first time Donghae spoke since they left Sungmin’s café and he suddenly feels like kicking himself because why does he have to make everything so awkward.

 

“Of course it is!”, He hurriedly says, tapping Donghae’s shoulder as if that will emphasize his point. “It’s no big deal! Our landlord isn’t strict and my roommate isn’t bad either. It’s okay.”, he assures.

“I swear it won’t take long! Siwon is coming in three days and I can stay with him by then.” Donghae utters with a smile and Hyukjae freezes shortly.

“S-Siwon?”, he asks, and a recollection of a popular student body president who looked like a runway model in their high school uniform comes with the name. “Siwon.”, he repeats and he must have looked different because Donghae suddenly frowns.

“Yes. Siwon. Choi Siwon. You remember him, right?”

Pft. Your first love and my first heartbreak, how can I ing forget? “Of course, Choi Siwon, Mr. Handsome and Popular, Prom King, Son of God.”, He utters and there might be a hint of animosity evident with the way he said his name but he thinks Donghae is too busy flailing mentally over Siwon to notice.

“Yes it’s him!”, Donghae answers and Hyukjae thinks he sounds so happy. 

Hyukjae remembers one specific night, several years ago, back when he's a skinny and timid sixteen years old, with puffy eyes and runny nose as he listened to his best friend Donghae and how he met

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter