Cold Lie

My Foster Guardian Lu Han
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

10 minutes before breaking up - Jung Joonyoung

*I love the Poka-Guri couple. Hihi.

Chapter 39: Cold Lie.

 “Before we start our class, may I remind everyone first that tomorrow morning, classes would be suspended to make way for the school cleanup. Our class is assigned to clean the school gym, so everyone better attend.” Mr. Kim said, his hands rested on top of his desk as I heard loud groans coming from my classmates. Already expecting to receive that kind of response, Mr. Kim then broke out into a smile as he got hold of a piece of chalk before turning towards the board. “Those who wouldn’t skip would get incentives on my subject so everyone better attend. Now, turn to page eighty-eight and…”

Upon taking hold of my book, I flipped the pages slowly, but not without taking a glance towards my right only to see Sehun staring straight at the front. He was always like that in class, donning a blank look which showed nothing but pure boredom and dullness.

“It’s fortunate, huh…” I whispered, putting on a small smile as I looked at Sehun. “We’ll get incentives just by cleaning the gym.”

Taking a brief glance towards my direction, Sehun then quickly turned back to the front, but not without giving me a slight nod. “Yeah.”

At that fleeting moment, I already noticed that something was wrong; something was off with him. I may not be so sure seeing as he’s always like that, aloof and calm, but I could feel that something’s bothering him. His eyes, the ones that always used to make direct contact with that of the ones owned by the person he’s talking to, never reached mine. The usual bright glow of his eyes wasn’t there. Instead, all I saw were indifference and emptiness—ones of which I haven’t seen in a long time.

Sehun’s already beginning to come out from his shell, leaving the cold and indifferent cover he always wore in front of everyone behind. He was already blending in the class, spending time with our classmates and showing more genuine emotions. However, with the way he was suddenly acting, it’s as if everything was just a joke, a fantasy, and I can’t help but be disconcerted.

While I wanted to ask him about it, I decided not to do so. If I may be so proud, Sehun and I have been pretty close to each other, coming to a point where I already consider him as my best friend. It may not be the same for him, but I made it clear that it was for me; that if there was something bothering him, something that he needed to let out, he could always tell me without being judged.

The unusualness of Sehun though, stayed until dismissal time that for the whole day, I thought of nothing but him. He spoke less, and his air was dull. I wasn’t sure if it’s because I did something wrong since he was the same to everyone; even Haeri and Soyeol found it really peculiar that they even asked me what was wrong. I couldn’t answer them however, for I, myself, didn’t know either.

“Uh well…” Haeri suddenly spoke, breaking through the awkward silence that was surrounding her, Sehun, Soyeol, Tao, and me. “The prom was really great, right Soyeol, Tao?”

“Kind of, Tao’s really hyper though.” Soyeol shrugged, earning her a nasty look coming from the said male. “He won’t stop dancing for ’s sakes.”

“Language, please!” Haeri scolded, tapping Soyeol’s mouth dissatisfiedly. She then clapped her hands together before beaming brightly. “But the prom king and queen were really stunning! Too bad their identities were concealed.”

Suddenly hearing about the prom, I felt myself getting more anxious than necessary. Cold sweat was running down my nape; more so upon noticing the stares I was receiving from both Sehun and Tao. Pretending to be oblivious of it, I discreetly gulped and smiled lightly. “Is… is that so?”

“I heard they didn’t want to get recognized by people,” Soyeol answered, cupping her chin in thought. “They were trying to be mysterious by keeping their masks on, which is kind of cliché if you ask me.”

I nodded lightly and forced a smile. However, it took me more than necessary effort to be composed and natural upon hearing Tao’s question afterwards. “Jaera, you didn’t attend the prom, right… or did you?”

Hearing his question, both Haeri and Soyeol’s attentions were brought onto me as well, causing me to feel more uneasiness and guilt. I knew that it wasn’t right to lie and never will it be, but I’m not one to speak for I’ve already lied to everyone about my real identity. However, speaking of the truth right now would only make things worse. It isn’t a big deal in my opinion, but if I really need to tell them the truth, then I will. Not right now though; not when Sehun’s around.

“No,” I said, trying to keep my gaze on Tao’s eyebrows. “I didn’t.”

It was after another momentary silence passed that Sehun suddenly stood up from his seat and walked out of the room, leaving the four of us dumbfounded. Not one of us spoke for a couple more seconds; not until I finally got over my mild stupor. “Uh, I guess I should follow after him. See you tomorrow!”

Wearing my bag with haste, I ran out of the room and dashed through the flight of stairs in hopes of catching Sehun. Albeit, those efforts were then rendered useless for I failed in seeing even a slight glimpse of him for the remainder of the day.

 

 

 

 

 

Since Lu Han would be going to work earlier than the usual, I found myself seated on the passenger’s seat of his car the next morning on our way to the school. With the winter season fast approaching, the weather has started to become fairly cold. It wasn’t that freezing cold yet, but it was certainly becoming wintry—one that would make any person shiver without the presence of any coat or cover.

Albeit, the coldness of the weather wasn’t the reason why the redness of my cheeks won’t disappear. It honestly vexed me so much, to the point that I can’t move my head even a single bit towards the driver’s seat. I wasn’t annoyed with Lu Han; rather, I’m actually annoyed with myself since I kept on acting unnecessarily, being inhibited and self-conscious. However, I have all the right to do so since I wasn’t prepared. My heart wasn’t ready for such act, for a kiss; more so since it came from Lu Han on the night of the prom.

That night, I could see nothing but him and his splendour, forsaking all of his flaws and imperfections. That night, he acted differently; that night, he looked like a prince. His mere presence did so much to me, inhibiting my whole being, but I never hated it. His existence made me feel as if I was living in a dream, a fantasy where only the two of us were real. Everything was still etched in my mind that I can’t help but blush at the mere thought of it, the feeling of his lips grazing against my cheek.

Was this an effect for finally being able to realize my feelings for him? I’ve had my few shares of crushes in the past, but never have I felt this way before. It felt so surreal and bizarre, something that inhibits me and at the same time, empowers me. It was scary, to the point that my heart was threatening to burst by just staying a meter away from him—an ordeal I had to go through every single day. I felt elated by what he did, in all actuality, but a single question overshadowed that feeling.

Why did he do that?

It was a mystery that I thought of this weekend, but no matter what I do, I can’t seem to make out an answer from it. I mean, I know that he’s the ladies’ man and the atmosphere at that moment was oddly idyllic, but why would he do that and act like nothing happened after? I’m beginning to think that maybe I was just imagining things; that it was just an illusion played by my mind. More so since even if I was indeed sure that everything was real, Lu Han had acted like he did nothing out of the ordinary, as if the act he did was just normal.

Moreover, the fact that I was the only one overreacting about it saddens me. I know I shouldn’t be disappointed, but a small part of me can’t help but do so. A small part of me that hoped that maybe, he did it sincerely; that maybe, he kissed me because he felt the same way as I do.

“Oi xiao tuzi, what are you spacing out for?” A hand suddenly landed on my shoulders, causing for me to flinch in surprise. Blinking a few times, I looked at the window and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter