In Love

My Foster Guardian Lu Han
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm in Love - Ra. D (Narsha Cover)

*I felt that Narsha's version suited this chapter more, but I usually listen to Ra.D's version.

Chapter 38: In Love.

I have been nervous since this morning for some unfathomable reason. I had my assistant cancel every schedule that I was supposed to have for the day, leaving me only with a single appointment that would be happening in a few hours, and yet I could feel my hands clamming up with sweat. Never have I been this giddy or restless because of an appointment, honestly. However, what I’m going to isn’t exactly one. It was actually an event in which I was invited, or rather, I invited myself into.

Must it be because I’ve never attended a high school prom before? Possible, but I’m Lu Han for goodness’ sakes. I should be confident and proud, and yet I can’t help myself from looking at my reflection on the mirror, trying to hide the inhibited state I am in.

It was when I was making a final touch to my bowtie that my phone suddenly buzzed, signalling that it was time. I made one last glance towards the mirror and saw myself, dressed in a slick black tuxedo with my hair tousled elegantly. Deeming myself good enough, I breathed heavily and made way towards the door and into the hallways.

Ringing the doorbell of the unit right next to mine, I unconsciously gulped and brought my hands into a fist as I waited for the door to be answered. Goodness Lu Han, get a grip. It’s just a freaking prom, not some death sentence.

“Ahjussi.”

I take back my words for right then and there, I realized, she was the death of me. At the sound of her voice, I felt my heart stopping. My hands loosened abruptly and my mouth became ajar. The anxiety and restlessness I felt disappeared, as well as my inhibition, and was replaced by an astonishment—one of which I may or may not have expected.

The moment the door opened, I felt as if I was brought into the doors of heaven, for an angelic presence suddenly appeared before me. Dressed in a silver white long glittery chiffon closed neck gown, Jaera emerged from the darkness of the room, her face glowing stunningly amidst the uncertain and doubtful countenance she wore.

Looking from her feet enclosed with silver shoes, up to her hair which was curled into a loose bun, I stopped right in front of her rich brown eyes and smiled, heedlessly voicing out my honest thoughts. “You look beautiful.”

Realizing the presence of Baekhyun and Chanyeol behind her, my eyes widened a bit as I saw Jaera’s cheeks becoming tinted with a rosy colour. “T-thank you.”

“We did pretty good huh, hyung.” Chanyeol whispered, nudging my sides as I watched Baekhyun giving final touches to Jaera’s face. “She totally believed us, by the way.”

For someone whom I’ve always treated with hostility, Baekhyun and Chanyeol did do a great job. Even though I already reckoned that Jaera wasn’t someone to be underrated, they had done their work properly and managed to bring out the hidden beauty, the inner princess that I had wanted to see.

“Thank you.” I said, putting on an appreciative smile towards Chanyeol as he looked at me in surprise. I’ve never really thanked them sincerely before, but it never hurt to voice out my thoughts. Hearing me as well, Baekhyun turned to our direction and smiled. I then nodded towards the two before walking down the hallway with Jaera beside me. “We’re going now.”

The ride towards the venue was short, so neither of us made no effort to speak. I began to get self conscious again due to the silence, but it wasn’t as severe as how it was awhile ago. Thankfully because of the sight of the venue itself, housing noisy teenagers dressed in fine suits and dresses. Parking my car on the more secluded area, Jaera’s voice suddenly caught my attention as I saw her looking all panicky and troubled. “I forgot to buy our masks!”

“You really are careless, but here.” Pulling out a box from the back seat, I opened it carefully and fished out a white and shining mask, adorned with crystals and a big paper lily sticking out on one of its corners. Holding it charily, I then grabbed onto its ribbons and placed it on Jaera’s face, completing her attire for the night. The mask may have covered half of her face, but the shine on her eyes never seemed to fade.

“But ahjussi,” Jaera mumbled, snapping me out from my thoughts. “We’re not supposed to wear our masks until later.”

“I doubt you’d want your classmates to see me as your partner, not after how they followed[1] us before.” I smirked, wearing my mask which was a black one, adorned with crystals as well, but instead of a flower, small twigs stuck out on its edges, matching that of Jaera’s. “There, we’re ready.”

Jaera smiled and nodded as she held onto the door handle. Realizing what she was going to do, I quickly got out of the car and ran towards her side, opening the door before she can even do so. The action of mine surprised her, more so when I opened the glove compartment and got my perfume, spraying aplenty onto her before doing the same to me. “What are you doing?”

“Just so people would know that you’re my date for tonight.”

I reached out my right hand for Jaera of which she grabbed and hold, all the while biting her lower lip. I can see the nervousness in her face even though she kept a blank look on. Her grip on my hand was tight, and I can’t help but hold onto her more as we walked slowly, approaching the venue in silence.

“Who are those? Are they students from our school?”

I heard a few students murmuring from behind as we walked down the entrance. Sure enough, we were the only ones who already have our masks on, but it’s not something that troubled me. It was, however, for Jaera, as I saw her looking down on the ground, trying to avoid other people’s gazes.

Must she be nervous again? It was the most probable case but there’s clearly nothing to be nervous about. Out of all the girls that I’ve passed by, she was by far the most captivating person I’ve ever seen, and I’m not just saying it out of prejudice or bias. Even someone who doesn’t know her would clearly think likewise. She was just simply elegant and beautiful, that I felt myself feeling even prouder while entering the place itself.

“Don’t worry, I’m here.” I said, lining up together with Jaera for the processional. “Just relax and have fun.”

Holding tightly onto Jaera’s hand, I saw her nodding at me before we finally stood under the spotlight. Slowly and steadily, we walked on the red carpet laid in the middle of the venue, being scrutinized and applauded by half a thousand pair of eyes surrounding us. Afterwards, we then got redirected towards our seats and waited as the processional ended, and the short introduction and program started. It was both my and Jaera’s first time being in such, but even if it was only for a brief moment, I felt nothing but delight.

I don’t know what came over me that I suddenly imagined the whole venue to be a Church instead of a hall, with the small little poles guiding the red carpet becoming all white, as well as the decorations adorning the whole place. The prospect was idyllic. It felt as if the people who eyed and applauded us weren’t students but were guests instead. Not to mention seeing the coordinators who were watching at the end of the aisle, I suddenly imagined myself standing at the end together with a small little priest, waiting for Jaera to finally approach us, dressed in her white bridal gown while holding her bouquet of flowers—

“It’s a prom, hyung, not a wedding.”

Wait… did I just say Jaera?

“Ahjussi, don’t move,” I unconsciously followed and stayed still in my seat, my eyes widening at the realization I just made. “Tao and Soyeol might see us. They don’t know that I attended.”

I saw Jaera looking down on the ground instead of the stage, where a man dressed in a suit was making a speech about the whole event. Taking a glance towards her side, she then heaved a heavy sigh before turning to me with a smile. “Whew, we’re safe. They didn’t notice us.”

I nodded hesitantly before swallowing hard. Staring at Jaera, I then saw her clapping her hands with a smile, applauding with the rest as the speech finally ended, followed by a series of fast music resonating across the hall. The place slowly got darker and only the led lights were seen, flashing here and there across the venue. Some students quickly went to the dance floor, while some stayed at their seats and ate, probably opting to skip out on the fast songs.

Jaera and I as well, decided to just eat on the sides, not giving the least bit of care towards the noise coming from the background. The students seated with us on the table were already gone, leaving only the two of us alone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter