Miracle and Magic

My Foster Guardian Lu Han
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Memories Ringing - K.Will

Chapter 33: Miracle and Magic.

“Happy birthday to my dear fiancée, Lu Han-oppa!” The familiar voice of an annoying female suddenly resonated from my phone as soon as I answered it. I didn’t even put it on loudspeaker and yet it felt as if my eardrums were going to bleed. I guess I should stop my habit of answering calls without looking at the caller id. “I’ll be free for the whole day, so if you want, we could go out for a date or something—“

Before Jongmi could even think that I’m listening to her, I immediately ended the call, and dropped my phone back on my desk, standing beside the colourful boxes and paper bags laid on the floor. For a bachelor as I am, I found colourful things to be a bit lively and cheerful. It wasn’t exactly my favourite, nor am I entirely drawn to it, however. My mood for the day isn’t at its best condition, so seeing something bright made it possible for me to not be completely glum and downhearted.

I remember ever since I was a kid, I’ve been very detached with this particular day for no exact reason. I think it was just a part of me that thinks that birthdays aren’t really special or anything of the sort. It was just the same as any day, except that you grow a year older. I mean, what’s the point of celebrating a day where you slowly reach your maximum lifespan?

Although I’ve always had that kind of mindset, every year we would still celebrate my birthday, and it was all because of my mom. Without asking for my opinion or anything, she still planned everything and surprised me with a small birthday party. She didn’t do it only to me though, for Kris always had one as well. The parties weren’t as big as how other rich families do for she knew that we’re not fond of events full of pretence and hypocrisy. Instead, she would just throw us small celebrations, with only our closest relatives and friends as the guests. Since they were surprised ones, we couldn’t really do anything but just go with the flow. They weren’t the grandest events and yet I could still consider those as the best moments.

However, like what the saying says, not everything lasts forever. I knew it, I already knew that I shouldn’t have taken things for granted and yet, I still did. With our mom being gone, there was no more someone who would be willing to make an effort in celebrating our birthdays with us. The happy moments that were once done, even if we didn’t ask of it, were now gone and now even if I wish for them to happen again, it would probably take a heaping amount of nonexistent miracle and magic just to be fulfilled.

“Happy birthday, Han. I love you so much.”

I may have been detached about birthday parties before but if given the chance, I would gladly take it and relive those moments. I admit I miss those parties… with my mom. I miss my mom.

“Hello?” I said, picking up another phone call that was begging to be answered since awhile ago. Just like my usual habit, I didn’t take the time to take a glance on the caller id but much to my relief, it was a safe call. “Kris, what’s up?”

“Seriously? What’s up? Your birthday is up.” Kris chuckled, his deep voice sounding a bit differently through the phone, but I still got infected and ended up pausing from my work to laugh as well. “Happy birthday dear brother!”

“Thanks, I guess.” Instead of speaking normally, my sentence ended up sounding more like a question, earning me more laughs from Kris.

“Well, sorry if I can’t go there and celebrate with you.” Kris said, his laughter coming to a stop as my assistant suddenly appeared from behind the door of my office. “I’m actually in Japan right now to manage some of our branches, and I won’t be back until next week.”

“It’s fine.” I said, sounding so natural for I’m already used to it. I then gestured for my assistant to come closer as he gladly obliged. He then placed a small golden paper bag in front of me before bowing and walking back outside. Already having a hunch to what the bag is, I took a slight peek inside only to have my assumptions proven right. “At least you even bothered to call… unlike dad who, much like last year, only sent me a Rolex watch.”

The line then turned silent for a couple of seconds before I spoke again. “Oh and a 2,000 Won worth birthday greeting card.”

“Han, don’t complain.” Kris said, finally breaking his silence with another chuckle. “You do know that I get the same treatment from dad, right? I didn’t even get a birthday card last time. You should be happy that you got one today.”

Pushing the paper bag away from me, I turned my seat around and faced the glass windows with a blank expression. “I’m not complaining, I’m just saying.”

“Well, you sounded like a whining kid.”

“I so do not.”

“Whatever you say, bro.” Kris broke out into an even louder laughter while I just ended up doing the same. “I need to go now though. Just enjoy your day for now.”

“How could I possibly enjoy it?”

“Don’t worry,” Kris said as I imagined him smiling on the other line. “You will enjoy it.”

Thinking as if Kris could see me, I nodded my head a couple of times with a chuckle before ending the call. Our conversation was rather short, but it did make me feel a tad better. Kris has always been the thoughtful one next to my mom. Ever since she left, Kris took a great deal and effort just to celebrate my birthday with me, which in turn I did the same for him. He may not say it directly to me but as my older brother, I know he cares deeply for me. I feel the same way for him too, in all actuality. No one’s here anymore to make us feel a tad more important for our special days, so I guess we kind of just voluntarily took that spot for each other. It’s better that way, to be honest.

“I guess I’ll just have to last for the whole day like always.”

 

 

 

 

 

Just like what I’ve expected, the day went like always. Sure there were a few messages and gifts coming from people who I don’t even remember, but for me, honestly, today felt like any other day. Waking up in the morning, going to work and coming back to my place—everything was like the usual, with the sole exception that I grew a year older, much to my disapproval.

The gifts managed to fill up almost a quarter part of my office. I did say that I felt a bit better looking at the colourful bags, but seeing it multiply made me irritated. I like gifts, and I won’t even try to deny that. I mean, who doesn’t? But receiving them from hypocrites who only wanted to look good to me, I’d rather receive nothing. Though I know throwing all of the gifts would be a waste, so I had my assistant take them to some orphanage and yes, the Rolex watch was included as well.

Although there was one thing that I was hoping for actually, Jaera’s greeting. Well, not exactly hoping but more like, expecting? It was already 10:15 in the evening and yet I still haven’t received any messages nor calls coming from her. It was starting to irritate me but I couldn’t complain, though. I never told her anything regarding my birthday before so it was highly unlikely that she would know of it.

Unless Sehun tells Jaera about it. However, even that brat hasn’t contacted me yet. Actually, for the past few days, the two of them barely met up with me. It was quite weird, to be honest. Could they have been up to some trouble? I don’t think so since I know Sehun’s too responsible to even dare to. Perhaps he forgot about his favourite hyung’s birthday? That can’t be because our birthdays are only eight days apart—I even called him at exactly 12 in the morning of his birthday! I give great importance to my sleep so doing so was really an effort for me, but I did it nonetheless. Although, if Sehun did forget about mine and went off somewhere restricted with Jaera then I swear, I’ll have to ignore them for a whole month.

Okay, maybe a week because Tao’s the only one who I could ignore for a month… or even more.

Stop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter