Incomprehensible

My Foster Guardian Lu Han
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Secret Garden - APink

Chapter 28: Incomprehensible by Reason.

“Mom!” Upon seeing the person behind the front door, Jongmi’s lips immediately curved into a smile as the lady did the same. “What are you doing here? I thought you’re with dad?”

“I went ahead of him, Jongdae’s there anyway.” The lady said, opening the door further until she finally noticed my presence. She then let her eyes wander from my feet upwards, stopping just right on my face with a stunned expression.

“Oh in case you’re wondering, Jongdae’s the real name of Chen-oppa, Kim Jongdae. Kai-oppa’s Kim Jongin. Mom calls them by their real names.” Jongmi muttered, turning to me as I nodded awkwardly in response before realizing the unexplainable look I was receiving from the lady of which I presumed to be her mom. Noticing it as well, Jongmi lightened up and grinned at her. “I forgot to introduce you. Mom, meet Jaera, my friend.”

Snapping out from her trance, the lady hesitantly nodded before gesturing for us to enter. I remained timid in place but nevertheless, followed behind Jongmi. As soon as we entered the house, Jongmi casually trotted over to the right where I guess the dining area is located. Having come into an entirely new environment, my feet involuntarily stopped moving as my eyes scanned the whole place. The interior of the house was larger than how I imagined it to be. With plain but modernized furniture and ornaments scattered around, the atmosphere it gave off didn’t differ much from its exterior—simple and homey but really elegant.

Upon managing to regain my composure, I saw Jongmi from afar waving at me as if asking me to follow her. I slowly did follow with small and quiet footsteps, afraid of making noise in a solemn milieu such as this place. “Come on, it’s fine. There’s no one at home except for us three and some maids. Make yourself at home.”

I nodded at Jongmi as she patted the empty chair beside her. I obliged to her wish and took the seat, looking around the room discreetly. After a couple of seconds, Jongmi’s mom appeared behind another door while holding a tray filled with cookies and glasses of orange juice. Feeling the need to be polite, I immediately stood up from my seat and carefully took the tray from her. The lady in turn, gave me a sweet smile before following behind me as I settled the snacks on the dining table.

“Jongmi dear, what did you say her name was again?” Jongmi’s mom asked, taking a seat across from Jongmi as I went back beside her. I then saw her mom watching me with a kind smile.

“Sorry for not introducing myself, Mrs. Kim.” I said, standing up from my seat again as I did a 90 degree bow cautiously. “My name’s Kim Jaera and I’m a f-friend of Jongmi’s. It’s really nice to meet you, ma’am.”

“What a polite young lady you are, Jaera. It’s nice to meet you too. As you can see, I’m Jongmi’s mom. My name’s Seongim, Kim Seongim, but you can just call me aunty Seongim if you want.” Jongmi’s mom said, grinning at me before reaching out for my shoulders and pushing them down lightly. “Oh and sit! Sit down and eat lots! I figured the kids would go home early today so I baked some cookies, but oh well, looks like my two boys are still busy.”

“Kai-oppa said Chen-oppa’s looking for him so they won’t be here until later, that’s for sure.” Jongmi said, taking a bite on one of the cookies carefully.

Call me weird or whatnot but I unconsciously observed the way Jongmi ate her food. She was still graceful and poised, much like how a princess acts. It’s wrong of me to be envious right now, especially in front of her mom, but I can’t help it. My inner self was getting smaller in envy again, thinking how unlady like I was in comparison to Jongmi.

 Not to mention the fact that she has a mother. Jongmi has a family.

“Don’t be shy, eat to your heart’s content! There are still a few batches back in the kitchen. Plus, no one would really eat them except Jongmi and me.” Aunty Seongim suddenly said, snapping me out of my thoughts and pressing her chin onto her clasped hands as she looked at me, the smile on her face never fading.

Aunty Seongim probably thought the reason I was observing Jongmi was because I was too shy to take a piece from the cookie plate—she wasn’t wrong though, I was indeed shy as well. The chocolate cookies were a tad tempting but my timidity and nervousness were stronger. I never did expect to meet any of Jongmi’s family members other than Kai, let alone her mom.

Looking at her now, I realized that the breathtaking beauty and elegance has certainly been running though the Kim family. Seeing Jongmi and Kai before and observing their personalities and actions, I already understood that they are indeed siblings for they are both graceful and refined in everything that they do.

I was proven right about thinking of the Kim family’s good genes upon having a closer take at their mother. The beautiful lady made it hard for me to make an assumption as to what her real age is. It’s like she’s just Jongmi and Kai’s older sister, that’s how young and youthful looking her entire looks are. Added with her stylish home clothes and poised movements, there’s no doubt that she’s definitely a Kim—Mrs. Kim to be exact.

After shifting from my position, Jongmi then handed me my glass of orange juice and pulled the plates of chocolate cookies towards us. I was about to take a piece when a picture frame resting on one of the counter tops behind aunty Seongim suddenly caught my eyes. It was a picture of aunty Seongim and a young handsome man seated on what seems to be a garden swing in a middle of a park, donning bright smiles on their faces.

Noticing where my eyes are darted, aunty Seongim turned to look at her back before going back to me with a delightful smile. “Oh, that’s my husband Joongki. It’s a picture of us when we were still dating. Aren’t we adorable?”

“You really are, aunty Seongim. Even though I assume that that picture’s from way back before, you and your husband still look the same now.” I complimented, causing for aunty Seongim to giggle like a little girl.

I wasn’t lying, though. I haven’t seen Mr. Kim but judging from his visually blessed children, I can already assume that like aunty Seongim, he would still look the same as how he did back then—youthful and good-looking.

After scanning the picture, specifically Mr. Kim, I turned my attention to Jongmi and stared at her eyes in comparison. “You have the same eyes as your father, Jongmi.”

“Hm, I think so too. I mean, everyone in our family has the same roundish almond shaped like eyes that kind of go upwards towards the end.” Jongmi said, taking another piece from the plate as she slowly chewed on it before speaking again. “Chen-oppa has it too.”

“You’ve met Jongdae before?” Aunty Seongim asked as I just shook my head politely.

“Not yet, I’ve only met Kai-oppa before.” I said with utter carefulness, feeling the need to address Kai formally.

“Well, Jongin’s the only one who got my eyes, actually, slightly squinted that go downwards.” Aunty Seongim said, pointing to her eyes before looking straight into mine. “Now that I look at you, I like your eyes. Yours is slightly squinted as well but your gaze… it’s soft.”

“I never noticed it before but you have nice eyes, Jaera.” Jongmi said, turning my face towards her as I felt myself getting warmer. I just gave her a small smile in response before looking at the ground as I heard her chuckle. “But yours are smaller than Lu Han-oppa’s, huh.”

“Why the sudden mention of Lu Han, dear?” Aunty Seongim asked, peering over at Jongmi with a confused look.

Jongmi finished her cookie before pointing to me in response. “She’s the younger cousin of Lu Han-oppa from his mother’s side. Jaera’s currently staying at his place.”

“Oh really?” Aunty Seongim gasped, widening her eyes as she looked at Jongmi as if doubting her daughter. No wonder she’s surprised since I’m not as good-looking and confident as Lu Han. I pressed my lips into a thin line, waiting for her to react unbelievably, but what she said afterwards surprised me a tad. “Lu Han must be so lucky to have a beautiful and courteous cousin like you!”

As if on cue, I abruptly choked on my cookie, causing for Jongmi and aunty Seongim to look at me in concern—an ordeal that made my inner self clamp up more. Jongmi immediately handed me my orange juice and patted my back next. “Are you okay?”

After taking a sip from my glass of orange juice, I nodded reassuringly at the two. “I was just surprised since it’s supposedly the other way around. I’m actually the one lucky to be Lu Han-oppa’s cousin. He’s very responsible and he takes care of me well in place of my p-parents… well, I’m actually staying at his place since my school’s closer there.”

Seeing the probing look on her mother’s face, Jongmi grabbed my arm and wrapped hers around it. “Jaera’s classmates with Sehun. She’s also studying in Seoul school of performing arts as a scholar, that’s why we meet sometimes.”

“Oh, that’s impressive! From what department are you?” Aunty Seongim asked excitedly, looking at me like an adorable little kid.

Unable to suppress the amusement, a low chuckle escaped my lips as I turned to Jongmi, who was also waiting eagerly, before looking back at her mom. “I’m from the Music department.”

“Same as my second son, but he’s already in college,” Aunty Seongim said, nodding approvingly before giving me a pleasing smile. “Anyway, you must be good at dancing! My Jongin’s really good at it, you know.”

“Uhm… I don’t really dance that much, I’m not that good.” I answered, trying to ignore the fact that she used the term ‘my’ on her nineteen year old son. “I’m actually more on the singing side… but honestly, I’m just an average.”

“Oh! My oldest son Jongdae’s really good at singing!” Aunty Seongim squealed, showcasing an expression of a proud mother whereas Jongmi just chuckled.

I laughed quietly to myself upon seeing how excited aunty Seongim could be whenever the topic of her children is brought up. It’s quite ironic actually how serious and elegant her outer appearance looked like while her personality was like that of Jongmi’s—bubbly and cheerful. Although, it’s a good thing, I believe. “You’re very blessed to have such talented children, aunty Seongim.”

Jongmi suddenly froze as I turned to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter