Late Night Cave Musings

The Going Home Club

Jongin reached up and grabbed Kyungsoo's chin, forcing him to look straight into his eyes.

"I'll win you back I promise."

Jogin's words spill from his lips clumsy and slurred due to the cold, but there was just something about those words  that made Kyungsoo's temperature rise. 

Kai's hand is cold and clammy against his cheeks, but that's not the reason why goosebumps are showing up on his skin, it was the determined and almost pleading look in the other male's eyes. Even though the temperature was close to hitting zero, it still wasn't able to dull the peircing brown eyes that Kai's infamous for. Kyungsoo inconspicuously took a slow breath to calm himself down.

So, even if it's small, he has to admit, that a teeny minsicule part of him also feels somewhat hopeful. Hopeful that maybe Kai will be able to stop being such an and make things between them at least civil. But, another look at Kai makes him guess that civility isn't what he's longing for, he wants their banters, their verbal jabs, their insults, that 'easy' feeling between them back. 

Even though he knows that for his own sanity, he should just cut it off, but he can't. And he hates himself for it, because he cares too much, when he shouldn't. 

But he can't say all those, so his oh-so-refined brain settles for.

"You ing ty dickhead !" he curses as he slaps Kai's hands away from his face. "What am I a ing girl to win back?"

Kai just stares at him, his previously lidded eyes open completely in shock as he blinks repeatedly.

Okay, he didn't mean for that to be as crude as how it went out. 

He was about to rephrase his words when suddenly a chuckle bubbled its way across Kai's chest. Lips curling perfecty around their corners and  eyes turning into small crescents as he laughed. . .and he doesn't know exactly why he even notices that. He realizes that maybe frost bite is getting to his brain,  so he immediately tries to swallow and push back whatever it was he was thinking. 

"This thing." Kai gestures towards Kyungsoo as he looks up at him.

"What thing?"  Kyungsoo raises a brow in inquiry.

"This whole. . cursing thing." Kai said with a playful air.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "Well sorry for ing cursing whilst in the middle of a potentially life threatening situation Kai."

Kai smiled again, though Kyungsoo could see that the other was struggling to keep himself from out right clacking his teeth.

"It doesn't suit your face." Kai commented

"Well your face doesn't suit your face." Kyungsoo retorted. As you can see, comebacks aren't one of his strong suits.

Kai patted him knowingly on the arm. "You still at this."

He would've laughed again at how Kyungsoo's nose flared from agitation.

"Well, I still on less things than you." Kyungsoo tried to comepensate.

"Well of course, you have no love life. And you'd probably be bad at " Kai said with a wink that was both teasing and challenging.

The doe-eyed male clearly lagged for a few seconds before he narrowed his eyes the male lying on his lap. " you."

"Oh so you'd skip all together and get right down to it, huh?"

Kyungsoo wasa second away from kicking away Kai's head, but like the good boy he is, he didn't. "Why does everythng have to be green for you?"

Kai just did something that was a cross of a shrug and a shiver, making Kyungsoo subconsciously rub Kai's arm to give him warmth,

"I don't know, the same reason why everything's so perfect for you." Kai said casually despite the obvious shiver running through him. Everything fell from being light and playful to serious with just that line. 

Kyungsoo frowned a bit at the unexpected answer.

He looks down at Kai, brows slightly furrowed. "Perfect?" he clarifies.

"You know, perfect. .like how you're smart, responsible, talented. . and. . so perfect." Kai said simply,  

For some reason, Kai's words rubbed Kyungsoo the wrong way, he couldn't quite point out the tone that Kai was speaking in, but he was sure that those words weren't for complimenting, there was something. . weird about Kai when he said those words, something similar to some sort of bitter sadness.

Kai sighed, "I still haven't told you everything that happened."

Kyungsoo subconsciously clammed his eyes shut. He was hoping that he would never have to deal with this confrontation. Everytime Kai tried to explain to him, he always found a chance to run away or brush him off, that's the reason why he quit the club in the first place. Yes, it was because seeing Kai while it was so fresh made him want to deball him and set him on fire, but it was mostly because he was. .nervous at what the other was going to say; what his reason's were. Don't get him wrong, he did want to know why, but his anxiousness hindered him from doing so. He'd rather just forget about it and bury it somewhere deep inside his memory.

Kai noticed Kyungsoo tense, and he forced a small smile. "Heh, I guess you can't exactly run away now. unfortunately for you, you can't have  a student council meeting while being stuck in a cave" he tried to joke, but it came across more like a sad whine.

Kyungsoo exhaled slowly "Don't. ." he managed to make his voice firmer than how he actually felt.

Kai looked up to him. "Why won't you ever let me explain?" his voice a little more than a whisper.

"I. . already know what happened." Kyungsoo's facade was starting to waver, so he used the default poker face he puts on whenever he feels danger. "What more is there to say?"

Kai, despite how he has momentarily lost the ability to feel 60 percent of his body due to the lack in temperature, managed to sit up, hold the other male's shoulders and look him straight in the eyes, he was still shivering, but he managed to keep it somewhat under control, mustering up all the firmness left in him to help him get his point through.

"No,. . you don't." Kai whispered."Trust me."

Kyungsoo suddenly found himself unable to move, and he really couldn't blame the cold for the goosebumps erupting all over his body when he felt Kai's gaze solely on him

 


 

Kai loved his life.

He did what he loved at school (he's a performig art's major),  had good friends,okay he has fun friends, and for him that's enough to qualify as 'good', managed to finally find a club that did not hinder his night-outs, though majority of the members were dweeby but hey, whatever. 

AND he's ing gorgeous.

Sure his parents and about 90 % of his conservative family was giving him heat for being a so called '',( he's actually bi, but he's too lazy of explaining to their close minds the concept of liking both men and women), Sure he's probably spent way too many nights in jail for smoking pot, Sure the migraines he gets from being almost always hungover sometimes makes him pass out in weird places. Sure he's probably scared as hell cuz well. . he just banged two chicks the other night and he realized that those girls were probably tier than him and he should probably get himself tested.

But still.. 

He ing loved his life.

That is, until his school decided to be a stick in the mud and ruin his oh-so-perfect and healthy lifestyle. 

Tsk. .just because he juggled three girlfriends at the same time, they started being antsy about him. Like come on, it's not exactly in the student handbook that you can't date three people at the same time, it's not like he punched a teacher in the face or something. So he really doesn't get exactly why the school's making making him have a baby sitter.

Do Kyungsoo, he's the generic prissy, proper bookworm you would find in almost all teen dramas. Textbook nerd as you would say. He couldn't help but smirk at the lame hair cut the guy was wearing, along with that ever plastered polite smile on his face, Just one look at him and Kai could figure out that this guy probably won't last long with him. Three days, . .two weeks tops and this slick haired nerd will be running back to the library, while splashing holy water on himself.

Getting rid of this Kyungsoo guy would be as easy as getting STDs from Jieun from the other class. All he had to do was become an or more specifically be even more of an than he already is.

For the next few days, they were scheduled to have private tutoring lessons, much to Kai's both annoyance and surprise, the doe-eyed male just brushed off the constant insults and insensitive remarks he made at how fugly he was, at how his hair looked like it's been back by a llama, and how just being around him makes his soft. He said all those things but all Kyungsoo returned was a wide eyed look of incredulity at his brashness, followed by a sutle purse of the lips.

He was getting frustrated. The guy's tougher than he seems. 

He has to use his trump card.

Okay Kai, time to get a little greasy.

Tonight, instead of sitting across Kyungsoo in the table of his room, he opted to sit next to him instead. Everytime Kyungsoo scribbled something on the paper, Kai was sure to lean in just a few inches too close to see the numbers. breathed just a little louder and closer to Kyungsoo's neck.

He saw Kyungsoo's jaw slightly clench when he brushed his fingertips subtly on his arm while reaching out for the pencil on his right. He saw Kyungsoo's eyes shift owlishly when he stared at the other for way too long to be considered unrapist-like. And trust him, he has one of the most -like stares on the face of the planet.

"Jongin-ssi" Kyungsoo said, voice a little shaky.

Kai smiled to himself, finally something was getting to this guy.

"Yeah. .?" he replied, deliberately rolling the word slower and lower than usual against his tongue, breathing in a fake laboured way. 

"Could you please move a bit farther away?"

"Why is that?" Kai asked, with a playful tone and a smirk tugging at his plump lips. He purposedly ran his tongue through the flesh of his lips in a ploy to make the other even more uncomfortable. He didn't miss the way Kyungsoo stared at the movement, eyes even wider than usual. "Why would you want me to do that hmm?"

Heh, he knew his appeal was too great that even the straightest prick like Kyungsoo wouldn't be able to resi--

"Because frankly, the kimchichige you had for dinner is starting to register on your breath"

He felt heat and embarrassment rise up on his cheeks up to the tips of his ears.

this Kyungsoo guy.

Kyungsoo simply smiled at his redness and winked. "I'm sorry Jongin-ssi, but getting rid of me is gonna take more than scaring me with your breath"

Kai just wanted a fistfull of Kyungsoo neck right now. Oh. and  a hole to hide in for the next twenty years would be nice too.

 

Two weeks became 4 weeks, and 4 weeks became two months, until he just plainly gave up. Soon hanging out with Kyungsoo became a normal part of his routine.

"! I left my phone at the library!" Kai face palmed as he stopped in his tracks, Kyungsoo bumping into his back by his abrupt halt. He felt something nudge him on the arm, and when he looked down it was his phone. "Damn! thanks ma--" as he motioned to get it, Kyungsoo yanked his hand away.

"Apapap!" he tsked "how many centuries did the Joseon dynasty last?"

Kai rolled his eyes. "Uh. .I dunno. .until a large meteor separated North and South Korea."

Kyungsoo's eye twitched in annoyance.

"I'm gonna look through your photos." he declared, knowing that that would be a large source of distress for the other. 

"NO!!!" Kai flailed his arms, trying to get his phone back, but Kyungsoo was surprisingly agile for a nerdy motherer. Kyungsoo laughed evilly in victory as he managed to open Kai's gallery.

"Hah! I'm gonna laugh and judge you completely at all the probable gym selfies you ta-- UUUUUGGHHH!!" Kyungsoo almost dropped Kai's phone as he grimaced and clammed his eyes shut.

"How many pics do you take in a day?" he groaned.

Kai didn't know what stressed him out more, the fact that Kyungsoo saw his in a multitude of angles (not to mention filters), or the fact that Kyungsoo said the phrase ' pic'.

"I told yoouu.. ." Kai shrugged, he was by no means ashamed of is glorious Jongin Jr., so the stress quickly faded. "I kind of just take pictures for you know. .progress checks."

Kyungsoo almost hurled. "Progress checks?'

"You know, monitoring if I'm being more blessed each day" he answered with a self-satisfied smile on his lips as if saying 'yeah that's right. .it's still growing'

Kyungsoo looked at him like he was some kind of self--obsessed mofo, which he probably is.

"You sick..sick. .person." Kyungsoo muttered.

"Tsk. .haters gonna hate."

"No really." Kyungsoo deadpanned. "Sick meaning you should really get that mole under your scrotum checked. The irregular mole border makes it susceptible for malignancy."

"WHAT?" Kai immediately grabbed the waistband of his pants and peaked. "please don't tell me I have cancer. Anything but cancer!"

Kyungsoo just laughed inwardly on their way back to school as Kai kept trying to google '+mole+cancer+symptoms' tags on his phone.

Kyungsoo secretly smiled to himself as he got the strangest urge to pin the guy to the nearest wall and k-- ruffle his hair.

"Idiot." he mumbled as he lightly banged the book he was carrying to his forehead, trying to beat the insanity out of him.

Kyungsoo didn't know if that was for Kai or for himself.


 

All was fine until this one time Kai was taking a dump in the bathroom and overheard some apparent council members talking about his frie--. he means Kyungsoo. 

"Hey, Kyungsoo-ssi quit the council right?"

"Yeah, he quit like a weak ago to join some kind of nameless club, or if the taped on note outside their club door isn't a joke it's called The Going home club' or something equally as lame"

Kai was going to make an indignant remark at how he was able to cancel out the club's lameness with just simply his presence but stopped himself, because yeah, he definitely isn't beyond eavesdropping.

"And I heard his grades were slipping a bit too." the voice on the other side stated. Kai almost gasped, What? grades slipping? Kyungsoo?? why not also tell him that pigs can shoot bacon out of their asses? "and by a bit, I mean a LOT, at this rate he's gonna lose his latin awardee candidate status"

Kai gulped as all peices clicked in together, he had a weird feeling pooling and curdling deep in his stomach, he almost wanted to cover his ears to avoid the phrase he's expecting.

". .all because of that Kim Jongin" he verified.

Kai was silent for a moment, even his breathing stopped as he felt a wave of guilt punch him in the gut.

Because of him? 

Then he realized that they've been spending a lot of time lately, they even eat lunch together occasionally. He didn't really think much of it before, but maybe he really is hindering Kyungsoo's normal pristinely perfect routine by squeezing his ed up self in between.

So he did some research, he looked up Kyungsoo's ranking and from 3rd he suddenly became 186th.

Kai gasped.

He needed to do something

 

The next few days he tried his best to revert to his status and avoid the other male. When Kyungsoo grabbed the hem of his sweater and looked at him with that sad inquisitive look he has he almost wanted to scrap his plan alltogether and say sorry for being such an . But he managed, he managed to stick with it. Because heck he really considers Kyungsoo his friend now, not friend that he'd like to , but actual friend friend, friend he'd like to talk to and have netflix chills with, even if Kyungsoo doesn't see him the same way.

"Hey, did I do something wrong?" Kyungsoo asked, teeth worrying his bottom lip. His usual crisp tone was gone and he sounded a bit frustrated.

You being with me is wrong

Kai pretended to roll his eyes as he flicked the other's fingers off his sweater. He needed to make this quick and painless. He needed to end this now, before he changes his mind.

So one particular rainy afternoon, Kai deliberately stayed in their clubroom. The only person there was Baekhyun who was ranting on and on and on at how Chanyeol really needed to stop his 'fedora phase' because apparently the curly giant was wearing fedoras of different colors almost daily.

"He says it makes him look all James Bond-ish, but frankly he just looks like a featherduster with a hat."

Kai just nodded in between pauses, resisting the urge to just tell Baekhyun and Chanyeol to each other, because clearly Baekhyun was whipped just for Chanyeol and Chanyeol was probably wearing those fedoras just for Baekhyun.

He received a text just as he expected

 

From: 0_o

Yah, you left your umbrella with me. and it's raining. Are you still in the club room?

 

He knew Kyungsoo would be a mom like always and worry about him getting home without an umbrella

To: 0_o

Yeah.

A few moments later he heard footsteps going towards the clubroom. Now was his chance.

"Hey," he said, Baekhyun snapped his head up in annoyance as he was cut off mid-sentence.

"You know, Kyungsoo's so annoying." he started, his words tasted like poison in his mouth,  "He always. .like, hangs out with me. Probably to seem cool and stuff but with a face like his that'll never happen." Kai fakes a laugh, and he secretly hates himself that he sounds so convincing.

Baekhyun looks at him, brows furrowed. "Hey, for a joke, that's going a bit too far."

Kai scoffs. "Heh, I ain't joking. He doesn't know how much of a pain the he is. Just being with him makes me not want to go to school. I'm actually embarrassed that I have to be even seen with him everday to be honest. I wonder how long we have to keep sticking to each other."

"Yah Kim Jongin stop." Baekhyun scolded, tone laced with anger, with a bit of disappointment on the side.

"And god, I just wished he would wipe that perpetual state of stupid that he's in."

He wanted to stop.

"I hate that weirdo, seeing him everyday really ruins up my entire mood. "

Please, stop. he repeated over and over in his head like a mantra, but the venomous words still kept rolling off his tongue. The sound of his heart breaking echoing in the background as the string of lies pulled him farther and farther away from his friendship with Kyungsoo.

He didn't know who was angrier at him, Baekhyun or himself. He also didn't know who hurt more as he said those words, Kyungsoo or him.

"I really wish that he would just off and di--!"

"YAH!" Baekhyun screeched as he punched him the shoulder followed by a "You !"

Kai heard the discrete thud as a probable umbrella dropped on the floor, signifying that yes, he has now lost  one of his best friends.

He wanted to stop. He hated this, he wanted nothing more than to run after Kyungsoo and tell him that everything was a big fat horrible lie, but he didn't. 

He wanted to stop.

He wanted to stop the tears dampening the back of the balled up fists on his lap, but he couldn't.

 

He guesses that what he did fulfilled its purpose, because by next term, Kyungsoo was back in the council, out of the club, 1st in their year, and more importantly, treating him like he doesn't exist.

 

But it was better this way. Yeah.. it was better.

 


"And yeah. .that's the entire story"

Kai closed his eyes as he finished his last word, not daring to look at Kyungsoo's reaction. The cold that he felt was punctuated by the chill of having to deal with Kyungsoo's reaction to his story. He was such an , and there was a high enough percentage that Kyungsoo wouldn't buy his explanation at all. He instinctively tensed he heard a small hiccup from above him. 

He cracked an eye open when he felt something damp roll of the side of his cheeks. 

Kyungsoo. . .was crying. THE Do Kyungsoo, who probably eats steel for heart food for breakfast was crying.

Kyungsoo covered his eyes and bit his quivering lips, and all Kai could do was stare. 

This totally wasn't going according to plan, not that he had a plan in the first place, but he definitely wasn't expecting this, he was expecting a punch in the--

"OW!" he groaned as he felt Kyungsoo's fist collide with his ribcage.

speak of the devil.

"Don't double my injury here."

"Shut up you ." Kyungsoo muttered, but there was no bite in it, not even the usal crispness in his speech. It was small and airy, and Kai just wanted to make him feel better. So he shut up. The next few seconds was filled with nothing but Kyungsoo's small muffled sobs at the back of his throat echoing throughout the cave.

"Why the . .Kai. .why the ?" he said.

Kai gulped. "I. .I did it for you. . but. .um. .I" Kai gulped as he slowly breathed out his next words. "I miss you. And I'm sorry for trying to become your friend again. It's selfsh of me to--"

He grunted as he felt another solid blow at his ribs.

"Why the are you so stupid?" Kyungsoo said, tears stopping but eyes still red with his short bout of crying. His cheeks were flushed despite the cold and the puffiness in his eyes made Kai want to sit up and just hold him. .wait. .what?

"You think too highly of yourself! of course you weren't the reason why I was doing so ty in class!" the doe-eyed male almost squeeked, his voice cracking cutely at the end. "I was. .I was having trouble at home, heck,. you and this club were the reasons that I even continued with my major during that time."

Kai blanked out for a bit.

"I just needed someone to talk to during that time, but you were becoming an ." he said in a pained whisper. "I ing needed you, you ing idiot! but you had to go and say that I was some worthless peice of stuck in your shoe."

Kyungsoo was full out whining just about now, and Kai was still pretty much blanked out, still not registering the incredulity of the situation. How they both misunderstood everything.

How plainly stupid he was for jumping to conclusions

How he hurt Kyungsoo for no ing reason

How Kyungsoo is suddenly so cute in his eyes.

And how much he'd like to. . 

"What are you doing?" Kyungsoo whispered, snapping Kai out of his dazed state. Without knowing it Kai's clammy hands where cupping Kyungsoo's cheek, with his face terribly close to Kyungsoo's lips.

"I-I. ." Kai felt heat creep up his nearly cyanotic cheeks. He was on the brink of closing even more distance when

 

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!*

 

Both of them jumped at the sudden explosion, followed by cheers of

"CHEN YOU MOTHERING GENIUS!" Xiumin screeched through the opening the explosion just created through the boulder

 

~*^*~

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! one of the crappiest chapters I've made, but I'm happy that I actually made it. Because at least I still kinda know how to write. huhu enjoy guyss

you have no idea how much your comments made me write again.. At how touched I wam that despire me being for so long, you still remember this fic. you guys are ing awesome you know that?

also, I'll edit this later, cuz I wanted to update as fast as I could. :)

I hope this wasnt too big of a disappointment. huhu this but its the best i can do at the moment