First Storm

Rain, Rain, Wash the Pain

First Storm

 

 

Dara


The physical or mental suffering is the definition to the word pain.

Rumble! The sky raged with the threatening sound. Drip drop drip drop....The sound slowly increase as plants thirsty gulped down their drink. Raindrops splashed against the clear window. One follow by another they hit the ground like a thousand beans were dropped from the sky. Puddles formed on the curb. The raindrops danced together and sang to a sad, sad song.

Her soft voice whispered in my ears, “Get out and don’t come back.” She embraced me into her arm. The hug melted the shivering cold from my body.

A sudden loud sound from up stair broke my peacefulness.  I look up the dark ceiling. The lights were off and the house is quiet. Then another thundering sound from above called with rage. She lifted me up and ran to  the wooden door. I heard her loud heartbeat drumming against my right ear. She opened the door and lifted me out the door. I lost my balances trying to grab on to her and fell on the ground. “Why Mother?” My eyebrow raised and felt the nasty wet sand in my hands. My eyes are force on her with confusion. Raindrops danced on me as if I am any other objects.

“Listen.” She knelt down and held up my face with her wet hand. I can’t see her face clearly, I am blinded by the darkness. I can’t tell if it was hot tears running down her cheek or it was the rain. “I am always with you. Don’t come back here. Run. You understand? Promise me to run.”

I nodded obediently and only remember her shadow moved away from me.

The door shut behind her. The street was quiet and dark. I only heard the melody of the rain. My blue pajama had been soaked by the rain. Both fear and anger rushed to me at the same time. I am angry at my mother for throwing me out, for not giving me an actual explanation.

I stood up carefully and wiped the dripping water away from my eyes. A chill creeps up my spine as I shake to dry my hair. I walked to the car in front of our house to wait for my mother. “She is just playing with me. She will come out. Be brave. Be brave, Dara.” I quivered.

A flash of lightning appeared, brightening the sky for a split second, then a loud thunder followed. With that short moment of light, I saw my clear reflection from the car window. My eye widens to ensure my vision was clear. Something was on my face something dark. I walked closer to the window and pinned my eyes on my dark reflection. The lighting comes again, shines the whole street. The thunder cries, “Blood! Red blood!” They are rolling down from my cheek, like a stream of tear.

My fingertips touched the blood without a command. Why blood... ? A loud scream echoed from the house. I jumped and turn to face my house. My heart skips a beat. I stood there breaking the promise with my mother. Our wooden door slammed open, the bright light shine out to the curb. Mother’s arm was covered with blood. My mind went blank, my eye widen capturing the moment.

“RUN! What are you doing?! RUN!” She blocked the doorway with her ripped body. Something was behind her but I can’t tell what.

I hesitated, but my feet started to take in the commands and took the steps. It couldn’t stop and it ran and ran. Left, right, left, right... I didn’t turn around when another scream followed. I ran to end of the street and turned without a break.

My breath became short and heavy. I took in every breath of air I could like I am drowning struggling for help. Then I tripped over a rock and fell on the floor. There was slice pain released from my knee. I use my hand and cover over it, then ran without stopping. It hurts. It hurts so much I ran  and scream with tears. No, it’s not my knee but my heart.

My definition of pain is to see someone you love die right behind you and you can’t do anything.


“Dara. Wake up. Rise and shine.” A voice sank into my dream.

I sit up and rub my eyes. “Yes, Elizabeth? Good morning.”I mumble. She is a woman who smells like the rain. With her thin peach lip and large blue eyes, she looks like a doll. She is even too beautiful to compare to a doll. The healthy pink cheeks of her define her tall straight nose. Her soft smooth hair is a bright golden color. She is my foster mother, who adopted me in the orphanage.

“You had a bad dream again?” She questions softly and wipes my tears with her thumb.
I nod and smile.

That rainy night is not a dream but a reality. My foster parents told me to look at it as a dream and as if nothing happened. Elizabeth had everything made up for me, a fake life.

After my biological mother pass away, I was found by a nice lady on the street. I am around ten years old and spent a few months in orphan home waiting for someone to adopt me. However, no one liked me so I always sat far away without a word. To me being in an orphanage was like a puppy waiting to be pick up. You have to walk in front of those people and wag your tail to them trying to say adopt me.

“Well,Dara.” Steve put down his newspaper and smiles at me, “Morning, Sweetie.”

“Morning.” I smiled back as I walked down the stairs from my room. Steve is Elizabeth’s husband. He had the same color of hair as Elizabeth, but Steve’s eyes are brown. He is really talented in art. They both went to my orphan home seven years ago, because Elizabeth could not bear her own baby. When they saw me, they liked me instantly.

“Dara. Are you still going to the night concert today again?” Elizabeth asked with a sweet voice. She slipped the pancake into my pan and walked to Steve, then did the same.

“Yeah.” I cut the pancake into pieces with my knife.

“Be careful ok?” Elizabeth repeats. They are very protective over me; however, they give me a lot of freedom.

After the breakfast, I tie up my hair to a messy bun and then putted on my black school uniform. I picked up the white watch from my table and turn my left wrist. There it is a blue butterfly tattoo in very unique shape. I look at it every morning, trying to remember how I got this.

“I am going Liz.” I put on my watch and run down the stairs.
“Your glasses honey.” Elizabeth handed me the black frame.
“Haha. Almost forgot. Thanks” She puts the frame on my face. I wave my hand without looking back. “I will be back around 10.”

“Ok. Be careful honey.” Her voice trailed off as the door shuts.


I place my book bag on the side of my desk. Just as I finished arranging my seat, Bom walked in. I didn’t really talk to her, but for some reasons she loved to stick with me like glue.

She smiled brightly identifies her pink chubby cheeks, “Dara, my baby.” Bom hugged me tightly and kissed my front head.

“Alright. Alright. That’s enough.” I pushed her away.

“But I missed you.” She pouted. Her long brown hair lying smoothly by her side. She sat down on the chair in front of me and stack one of her long leg over the other. This girl is fill with elegant air around her made her looking like a model. Those turn out to be the reasons why she is announced as one of the prettiest girl in our school.

“This just a short winter break.” I spinned the pen in my hand.

“I want to see your concert tonight. Can I go visit the backstage, please? I want to see the other performers. ” She clap her hands together with a hopeful expression. The reason she liked me so much is because last summer she found out my stage name, The Night Cat.

I had a thing for singing since I am young. Because I dislike the attentions that I get for being an idol, I decided to sing at night as a secret singer. With other night secret singers, we got a big empty place to play our music. That place is where I go express myself.  An unexpected outcome, I had a lot of fans who called themselves...

“The Black Cat!” Bom screams out the fan club name. “I am a Black Cat. So pretty please?”
“Fine.” I rolled my eyes.

“Oh my god! You are a Black Cat?” A bunch of girls walked up to us. Bom nodded proudly. “Are you going to the concert tonight?” One of the girl squeak, “Yes. Yes. I heard she is going to perform for two days straight.” Then the chatter went on about the concert. I just joined in pretend I am one of them.

“Alright class. Get back to your seat.” The teacher walked in with a coffee mug as usual. He pushes his glasses up to examine us. Everyone stopped talking and slipped back to their positions.
He cleared his throat and stared at each student, “We have a new student today.” Everyone’s attention went to the door.

A tall guy walked in the classroom. He is not wearing uniform but a normal clothes. This guy has the most feminine face I have seen; however, he looks handsome and pretty at the same time. I just can’t get my eyes of him. His black bright hair and his face features matched perfectly. “I am Kevin Woo.” Finally he bowed in a right angle. His eyes danced around looking nervous and uncomfortable by the stares of those eyes.

“You can seat yourself next to Dara.” The teacher raisesd his newspaper and pointed to me. “Raise your hand Dara.”

I rolled my eyes and raised my hand high up. He started to walk towards me. Oh, great, now more distractions. Why are pretty people always so distracting.

I tapped on my watch as the class went on. While doing the counting in my heart, I peek over at the new guy call Kevin. My eyes have been hypnotized by his magic spell.

The bell rang and the peace break into chatters. Kevin turn to me and our eyes met. I jumped and sit back in a normal position. “Why aren’t you wearing uniforms?” I started the conversation. He arranged his books and put them into his school bag. His eyelid blink nervously as his long lashes follows.

“It’s ok. You don’t have to tell me.” I smiled to make him feel more relaxed. “I am Dara.” I offered my hand to him. He takes them and shakes it respectfully, “Kevin Woo.” He said in a tiny voice. “Nice to meet you! Kevin.” Then he smiles back showing his straight white teeth.

Something about him makes my heart pounds. Handsome?...


The smooth eyeliner trace my waterline. I filled the corner of my eyes with black eyeshadows to create that cat eye look. CL, who is my so call makeup artist walked in the changing room looking fashionable like usual. “Take this one.” She throws me the mask with a cat’s drawing on one side leaving the other side of the face .

I sat down as she transformed me into a totally different person. I put on a black shiny pants and red rip up shirt, plus some gloves then I am ready to rock the stage. I grabbed the guitar and walked toward the stage. The noise made by the fans echoed in the hall. As the sound grew louder and louder, I changed my emotion and jumped up that stage. The light shine on me, the coward scream my stage name and I sang my heart out.

When I am here I don’t feel weak...
☀~~~~~
“Wow. No matter how many times I watch you perform. I never get tire of it.” CL commented as I walked down the stage. She takes my guitar and hand me a bottle of water.

“Thanks.” I laughed. “I will clean out the garbage. You can go pack your things.”

“Ok.” She pat my back.

“Dara!” Bom ran towards me screaming my name.
“Shhh!” I shut her up.
“Oh! Sorry, I forgot I can’t say your name.” Bom continues, “That was awesome.”
“Thanks. Wait here, I’m going to take the garbage out.” I lifted the bag of cans and headed toward the alley.

The bag of cans made a loud sound as it traveled through the alley. The moon is shining on me and like always it relaxes me. I shut my eyes enjoying every second of the peacefulness. I am like a werewolf absorbing the moonlight.

A girl’s sharp scream broke my spell. I felt my goose bumps and the shiver run through my body. Just like my mom’s voice, the call of help. I hated the screams. My ears tracked down the sound and drop the bag. My feets picks up run towards it. I stopped when I saw a guy pinning the girl to a wall. He starts to kiss her neck.

People should get a room at least. I rolled my eyes.

My eyebrow furrows from the disgust. I was about to turn back when she collapsed on the floor. I backed a few step away from them. Then a really sweet smell run to my nose, my heart beats increased from the excitement. I love the smell, it makes my body feel warm and light. Is this some kind of drug selling business here...

The guy turn around and I saw the eyes. His eyes are bright red and blood is dripping down from the corner of his mouth. I swallow naturally.

“Who are you?” I backed away.

“I am...” He walk out the shadow and suddenly his speed increased inhumanly. I try to run but he grab on to my shoulder and pin me to the wall.

Damn it, not me.

His face has been revealed. With blond hair and his tall nose shining under the moonlight. He had a very mysterious atmosphere around him.  I have seen so many beauty today and I have to say this beast is more than beauty.

“Let go of me you freak!” I screamed while trying to push him away.

“Wait.” His deep voice calmed me down. I can’t take my eyes off the blood. He didn’t look dangerous, because of the surprise look in his eyes. “You are one of us.” His chuckled and turn into a bright smile, “Oh wow. I can’t believe I found you.” His face is still inches away from mines. He lean closer, close enough to touch my nose with his.
“What?” I forces his arm to move away.
“Your tattoo! You are a …”

I broke off from his hand and back away quickly. He knows about my tattoo. “What are you talking about freak. Get lost.”

Then he act as if he doesn’t understand me, and wiped the blood off his lips with his fingertips. “Do you drink blood?” He extend his fingers to me.

At first I felt my stomach twitched from disgust, but my heart start pounding as I smell the blood. I lean toward to his finger. Suddenly, another guy pop out from the back. I lost my balance and drop to the floor. What is this? Magic? Maybe I didn’t have enough sleep today.

“What did you do this time? Eli.” The guy who have his face covered asked.

“Sorry. Heal that girl please. Jinwoon.” The guy who I assume named Eli point to the back.

I place one of my hand over the other, trying to calm my shaky hand. Run! I command my body. I picked up my feet and speed back to the door.

 

Eli


“Wait!” The girl with the mask ran away as fast as she could and disappear in the dark.

“You should just for your marked ones. Stop giving me work” Jinwoon complained as he brings the other girl’s life back. I stood there quietly ignoring him, thinking about the girl with the mask.

“Who is that girl anyway?” He questioned.

“She is one of the Blood Butterflies. She is one of us.”

 

Updated: March,14, 2013 (PI Day) :D

LovebeingaELF

I figure since I have time ^ ^ I will update the first chapter earlier :)

Enjoy reading ...