The Dark Side Of Him

The Dark Side Of Him

 

Present Time , May 22  2013, 2:00AM
 
“Help me! Please, Help me!”  Her voice was jagged as she called out for someone, anyone who would help her. 
 
She continued to run down the halls, her legs growing weak from the horror. Eventually, she found a dark, tight place in one of the bottom cupboards of the kitchen and hid. Holding her breath as she felt someones presence in the room. Her hands trembled in fear as she held a large butcher knife in her hands, closing her eyes as she prayed to God for this nightmare to finally end.
 
She heard faint footsteps coming into the kitchen. 
 
How did it come to this? She wondered as she thought back on her life. 
 
She never thought she would ever come to regret any of the decisions she had ever made, but deep in the depths of her heart she was slowly regretting how this situation came to be. She had let it get too far when she could have ended it all long ago but she had become too selfish, too greedy to accept the truth and now she was hiding for her life. 

January 2008

The university library was large and wide as she stepped through the doors. She let her eyes wander as she studied the room before her. It was massive in size, both inside and out. With books alligning every shelf and wall. She imagined that every literary work ever written could be found here. If there was one thing she loved it was the library.
 
In the short distance beyond her, was another person who truly loved the library more than anything else. He had found one of his favorite books as he made his way to one of the individual reading desks. Placing his book on the table, he tilted the reading lamp slightly to get better lighting on it. It was times like these that he remembered why he had chosen to come to this dreaded university in the first place. Although it wasn’t at the top of his list, he did recall hearing about its world-renowned library and it was the main reason he chosen to go there.
 
As he immersed himself into his reading, the young girl from before made her way to the English Literature section of the library. She searched high and low until she found the book she was looking for.
 
She had just started at this University and was mainly drawn to it when she heard about the library. It also helped that it was far away from home. No one here was aware of her social status, nor did they care. The big city living was a complete one-eighty from her previous small town lifestyle. There word got around quickly, too quickly, as she recalled being befriended and asked out by worthless, money-hungry people who were only after her family's money and status. That's all they had cared about. Eventually, she got tired of living in a place where people never really gave her the time of day. They were fake and she refused to associate herself with them. But eventually, her pride led her to become lonely and so she created a tough exterior to protect herself from being broken ever again. So as soon as she was given the opporunity to go away for college, she took the offer without hesitation and she never looked back.
 
“Chaucer,” She sighed with a smile. She was still surprised at how many books there actually were in the library and was grateful that she didn't have to go through them all to find it. 
 
They have pretty good organizing skillsshe acknowledged and brushed her hand lightly against the binding of the books on the shelf.
 
She held The Legend of Good Women in her hands and she made her way towards the individual reading desks. She one of the reading lamps and flipped open the book as she began to read the first passage.
 
"The Father of English literature," A masculine voice broke the silence.
 
She snapped her head up at the sound and looked over at the beautiful figure standing beeside her. How had she not noticed him there before?
 
He was tall and boasted a face that would normally be seen on a priceless piece of art. Something that was idealized but almost impossible to come by in reality. 
 
She looked at the book he had open on his desk. She could tell by they way it was written, what it was.
 
"Lost Paradise," She spoke confidently as her eyes met his. He looked almost impressed as a smile traced his lips. 
 
He couldn't remember the last time he smiled so genuinely at someone else. It had been years at best.
 
"I'm Baekhyun," He introduced himself as he extended his hand.
 
She took it in hers and shook it. "I'm Naeun."
 
Never would they have know, that small spark would ignite a flame that would engulf them both.

Several weeks passed as the two of them continued to meet regularly.

Baekhyun's heart felt at ease as he was finally to open up to another person. Something he didn't think he had missed as much.
 
He couldn't put his finger on it and he didn't really understand it, her of all people, but there was something about her that continued to draw him in. The hole that was left in his heart from long ago was finally being filled by another. 
 
There was a warmth to Naeun, and he enjoyed her presence more than anything. Sometimes they didn't have to talk. Just being together was enough for the both of them.
 
Naeun as well, could also feel the healing effects of their reletionship. Her once cynical perception on both love and life was slowly being diminished by her relationship with Baekhyun. She knew this immediately as her ice-cold heart melted away to a new warmth she had yet to experience in so long.
 
"You hungry?" Baekhyun asked breaking the silence that had formed from focusing too much on the movie.
 
"Why you gonna cook me something?"
 
"I would, but I'd rather us go out and get some fresh air."
 
"Sounds fine with me."
 
As she slipped on a pair of ankle-boots, Baekhyun made sure to turn off the tv before he headed to the door way to get their coats of the coat rack. Grabbing her purse off one of the black stools and following close behind, Naeun made her way over to Baekhyun where he helped her put one her coat. They exited her apartment and made their way down the beautifully lit up streets of the city.
 
As they made their way to a stop at one of the intersections, Baekhyun noticed a car on his right hand side, coming at a dangerous pace in the distance. The light had already turned red but the car only continued as the cars on the other opposing lanes were beginning to move. On his left he saw a car and inside were two young boys. Would the other car have time to stop or hit him. He heard the tires screech as his closed his eyes, preparing to hear the impact.
 
Silence.
 
"What's wrong?" He heard Naeun say. Her voice was calm.
 
Had she not seen anything?
 
He looked at her.
 
"I-" He trailed off as he looked around and no matter what how long he did, he couldn't find the car that was speeding before.
 
"N-nothing. There's nothing wrong," He tried steadying his voice as he replied.
 
Was I dreaming? He shook of his confusion when Naeun tugged gently at his hand. He turned to her and smiled before they walked across the street and made it to the other side where the strip was. 
 
Known as the strip, this shopping district went down for blacks. It was designed to look like an outside shopping mall with both sides of the walkway packed with great shops and restaurants. No matter what day or what time it was, the Strip was always busy. On the weekends especially since it was near the college and housed the local movie theater, bars and clubs. Baekhyun had seldomly gone there before he met Naeun but now, it had become a regular thing for the both of them and he was enjoying it nonetheless. 
 
 
"So, where are we eating?" Naeun asked as they held hands and walked down the wide pathway.
 
He brought her hand closer to him, bringing her in closer as well. His eyes bore into her and she remembered how she had fallen in love with him. These eyes that held so many secrets had a tendency to see right through her, something that no one else had ever been able to do. He was the first person to make an effort in getting to know who she really was and she loved him for it.
 
"Mm," He thought about it for a moment. Although he was mature, when it came to food Baekhyun could become as childish as the rest of them. "I'm craving meat."
 
She scoffed. "When are you not?"
 
He flashed his brilliant smile, the one he knew Naeun couldn't resist as she furrowed her brow in response.
 
She sighed as she tried to fight back a smile. "Fine. Let's go eat meat."

June 2010

"So where does all this crap go now?" Baekhyun asked as he hauled the last couple of boxes into the living room.

"You call your own stuff crap? Nice to know," She looked at him with a smile as he set the boxes onto the floor and grabbed her close. He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and then another on her lips before he started back for the boxes.

The two of them had finally moved into their new apartment after two years, with the couple having just recently married a few months before. She helped him with the boxes and led him to one of the spare rooms that would be used as his office space. The room had already been furnished the only things needed were his books and personal items. 

"Want me to make dinner now?" She asked as she walked over to the doorway. 

"Yeah, we can finish packing all of this tomorrow," He agreed. "It's getting late anyways."

That same night after they finished dinnerm Naeun felt sense of unease as she awoke in her bed late into the night. She looked to her side and saw Baekhyun sleeping soundly beside her. She noticed a dark figure looking in on them from the doorway, the lack of light making it hard to make out who it was.

"Who are you?" Her voice went up a few octaves as she began to tremble in fear.

"What are you doing here?"  She turned to wake up her sleeping husband but was horrified when she saw he wasn't there. 

"Where's Baekhyun?" Her voice was urgent as she fell backward onto the floor. The pain from the fall jolted upwards as she let out a pained groan.

"Leave him alone!" The voice spat like venom. "He doesn't need you."

Is he talking about Baekhyun?

 

 There was so much animosity in his voice. She could feel his hatred suffocating her. Who was this person? And what had she ever done for him to hater her so much?

She tried to speak again, to scream but the sound wouldn't come out. No matter how hard she tried. He had made his way closer now and she could somewhat make out most of his features.His hair was dark and shaggy and his eyes were completely black. She felt her stomach turn in knots as a heavy pressure began to build in her chest. 

 

This face... 

She couldn't breathe now but she knew she had seen this face before.

They looked almost identical.

This was...

Beakhyun.

"Babe!" Beakhyun's voice snapped her awake as she shot up on the bed. His arms wrapped around her as he tried to calm her down. She shook violently against him, uncertain of where she was or who she was.

Was that all just a dream? She questioned as she took a few deep breaths, trying to calm herself down. It had felt so real to her. 

"You had a nightmare," He assured her as he held her closer against him. He could feel her stiff body relax as he raked his fingers through her dark locks. "It's okay now. I'm here."

The day continued on as normal. Naeun had almost forgotten about her dream and whenever Baekhyun would ask what it was about, Naeun could never describe it completely. In order to get her mind off it they began to organize the office.

Going through the boxes Naeun came across a blue and white-striped patterened book.

"Is this your photo album?" She held up the book and waved it slightly.

"Yeah, it is," He continued organizing the books on the shelf.

"Aw, I've never seen Baby Baekhyun before. Can I look through it?" Her voice was playful as she became excited to see just how he looked when he was younger. 

He laughed, "Knock yourself out."

She looked through the album and saw several pictures of him and his parents. She had never met them in person yet, but they did manage to speak to them on the phone every now and again. His parents had moved away to another country several years before when he decided to stay for college. She came across one picture that caught her attention. Two boys leaning against a wooden fence-post. One of them, she could tell instantly, was Baekhyun. He wore a white jacket and doned a shorter haircut. He must have been no older than fifteen. The second boy, the one standing beside him, had his arm wrapped around his shoulders. His hair was a little longer and he wore a black jacket. His smile was similar to Baekhyuns.

It hit her in that moment.

"Baek?" A lump began to form in .

"Yeah?" He looked over at her curiously, as he continued to organize his books.

"W-who's this?" She pointed at the picture.

His eyes became soft. This was a side she had yet to see from him.

He sighed softly. "That's my twin brother."

"You have a twin?" She was taken aback.

He gave a slight nod and went back to what he was doing.

What else has he been keeping from me?


Present Time, 2:30AM
 
She didn’t know how much time had passed by since she hid but she was slowly beginning to suffocate. Was this how it would end for her? She couldn’t take it anymore. All of the oxygen was beginning to fade. Being cramped up in that small space was taking a toll on her. As her legs compressed against her stomach began to suffocate her. She hadn’t heard anything coming from outside in a while. Maybe the coast was clear. She cracked the door open slightly, peering through the little slit. Everything seemed clear as she opened up the cupboard and started out. She suddenly felt a sharp pain come from her scalp as if someone was pulling her up by her hair. She let out a horrific shrill as she was forced out from the cupboard.

December 2012
 
The two of them sat quietly on the couch in her apartment. Baekhyun held her closely as they watched a classic black and white film. He grummbled something unintelligable which made her look up at him.
 
"Did you say something?" Naeun asked as she looked at him.
 
She didn't know why but, he looked almost confused that she would ask that. 
 
"No," There was something different in the way he spoke. His eyes darkened as they bore into hers.
 
She felt herself stiffen. This expression looked all too familiar.
 
"Do you remember?"
 
This voice.
 
She hurried up as she backed away slowly from the couch.
 
"A meeting in the library," Baekhyun's voice was cynical as he spoke. "How poetic."
 
"Baek, please, you're scaring me," She urged as she saw him stand up from the couch.
 
"Hate to break it to you precious but Baekhyun isn't here any more."
 
"W-who are you?" She spoke meekly. 
 
He was right. This wasn't Baekhyun. It seemed like it was someone else completely.
 
"I'm Chanyeol."
 
Her expression was blank. She hadn't heard this name before and he picked up on it.
 
"He hasn't mentioned me at all, has he?"
 
She shook her head as she held back her tears.
 
"I'll let you go this time. I want him to explain it. To explain everything. "
 
Baekhyun's body suddenly slammed against the floor, making Naeun run towards him.
 
"Baek! Baek!" She called out but he had been knocked out cold.
 
Several seconds passed as Baekhyun came back to his senses.
 
"What happened?" He mumbled as Naeun helped him sit up slowly.
 
"You passed out," She studied him to make sure it was him.
 
His face bacame one of horror, "Are you okay?"
 
It didn't take her long to catch on to what he meant. "You knew about this?"
 
He looked away in shame. "I guess I should explain."
 
"I guess you should."
 
He was surprised at the trace of anger he caught in her voice but he couldn't blame her. This was his dark secret. One he though he had already outgrown.
 
May 22, 2005
 
Others laugh, loud techno music and the clicking sound from the vodka glass made Baekhyun felt dizzy but still, he kept asking for another glass of vodka. Suddenly, someone's laugh from his behind made him grinning. "Are you satisfied now?" the laugh now changed to a question. "C'm on! We just arrived~" The one who asking took off his watch and showed it to Baekhyun. "It's already 3am. Let's go now"
 
"Yah, yah!" Baekhyun got no choice onced Chanyeol pushed away his body to leave the pub. As they walked down the side of the dark road, a speeding drunk swerved off the road. The one who noticed the presence of the car quickly pushed Baekhyun out of the way and...
 
Chanyeol got slammed by the car. Baekhyun who was there can't believe the scene that he watched just now. He ran towards his twin and put Chanyeol on his thigh. His hands was fully covered by blood since Chanyeol was bleeding madly. 
 
"Chanyeol, get up!" Baekhyun shook Chanyeol's body. He opened his eyes and held his twin cheek. "I'll just fine, don't worry. J-just take care, okay?" Chanyeol closed his eyes back after completed his words. His LAST WORDS. Baekhyun just can't hold his tears from pouring down, tried to remember every seconds of his life that he spent only for his twin, Chanyeol. He kept cursing and blaming himself as the reason of Chanyeol's death. Yet, he hugged his twin's dead body, hoping for a miracle that would never happened.
 
 
(AFTER FLASHBACK, BACK TO THE APARTMENT) 
 
He came back to his senses after he told her everything.
 
"I scare of myself sometimes,"  He admitted as he placed his head in his hands. "Isn't that funny?"
 
"We all have our demons," She tried comforting him as she placed a hand on his shoulder.
 
"That may be so, but mine is the only demon that can actually hurt the people I love."
 
She felt a chill in the air as she trembled slightly in her place.
 
Though the fear was evident she knew she couldn't just leave him, she loved him too much. He was the only one who had ever accepted her. Who had truly loved her for who she truly was and not what she had. She couldn't just give up on him when he needed her the most.
Later that night after having a long talk, Baekhyun headed to shower. As he finished brushing his teeth, Beakhyun noticed something in the mirror. He shut the door carefully behind him making sure not to draw attention from Naeun in the other room.

"Why are you doing this?" Baekhyun asked as he stared intently at the mirror.

"Because she's trying to get rid of me!" Chanyeol appeared, replacing Baekhyun's reflection.

"No she isnt," Baekhyun denied. He knew his brother was the only one who loved him more than anything but had Naeun in his life now. It made him feel a sense of guilt as if he were betraying his own brother.

"She's trying to separate us! Why cant you see that? She's taking you from me." Baekhyun had never hear Chanyeol sound so angry before. The hatred he felt towards her was obvious. He knew his brother was becoming dangerous.

"Chanyeol you can't-" He began to protest before his brother interrupted him.

His expression was dark. "Is it me or her, bro?" His tone was firm and decisive.

"Babe, you okay?" Naeun called from the room.

"Yeah, I'm fine," He replied as he tore his attention from the mirror.

He turned back to the mirror where only his reflection could be seen and took a deep  breath, "Just fine."


Present Time, 3 weeks later
 
“What a shame they never found her body.”
 
Similar conversations like this one could be heard throughout the  cemetery as Baekhyun gaped at the headstone placed before him. 
 
Naeun. He read the name as he thought back to the last moment he saw his lover.
 
"No. Please, don't do this. Chanyeol, please!" Her voice cracked as she pleaded, screaming at the top of her lungs.
 
"I'm not Chanyeol," Baekhyun's voice was cold and steady as he took the knife and stabbed it deep within her chest.
 
He watched as the life left her eyes and his hands were bathed in her blood.
 
The thought of that moment brought a smile to his face as he slowly turned and walked away from the grave.
 
I choose you brother.
 

 

#Out of topic :-