Part 2

Phone Calls and Poetry

It took Chanyeol a few days to fulfill his promise. Baekhyun was sitting in class, trying not to fall asleep during a lecture when a cell phone--his cell phone--began ringing. It surprised him, Baekhyun silencing it and excusing himself from the classroom as soon as possible. Leaning against a wall in the hallway, he looked at who called him.

Unknown Name
Unknown Number

Eyebrows knitting together, Baekhyun called the number back. There were a few rings, then "Hello?"

He recognized the voice immediately. "Chanyeol!" he hissed. "I'm in the middle of class!"

The deep laughter made his heart falter, a grudging grin gworing on his face as he asked "So why did you call me?"

"Work is boring." was the response. Baekhyun made an indignant noise, and Chanyeol added "That and I wanted to talk to you."

"You're hindering my learning right now." Baekhyun reprimanded playfully, getting an equally teasing "Good." in response. 

"I've got to go, really." Baekhyun said in earnest. "I'll call you back later, alright?"

"Okay. Have a good day! Learn a lot of stuff."

Baekhyun laughed. "Ill try. Bye Chanyeol."

Chanyeol laughed too. "Bye Baekhyunnie."

"Hyunnie?" Baekhyun asked, but Chanyeol had already hung up. After the last bell rang, signaling the end of his last class period, Baekhyun found himself pulling out his cell phone as he packed up his notebooks, pressing the redail button.

"You're hindering my money making right now." Were Chanyeol's first words after he picked up.

"Good." Baekhyun shot back. They talked all of Baekhyun's way home, until Chanyeol apologetically said that he actually had to go deal with customers. But it was Friday, and after promising that they could talk more tomorrow, Chanyeol hung up.

"What are you grinning about?" Sehun asked as Baekhyun entered the apartment. He noted the phone Baekhyun was slipping into his pants pocket, saying exasperatedly "You gave him your number?"

"Maybe." Baekhyun threw his books on his bed before going into the kitchen. "He called me during class today, so I had to call him back."

Sehun was quiet for a few moments. "You really like this guy, don't you." he said.

"Yeah." Baekhyun grabbed an apple from the fridge, tossing and catching it. "I do."

Then his phone pinged and Baekhyun smiled, Sehun sighing and saying "Oh, get out of here." 

"You're just jealous." Baekhyun singsonged, tapping away at his phone.

 

 

Phone calls became common, usually taking place in the evening. They never really had structured conversation, and Baekhyun would always be left with the irresistible urge to smile. Sehun complained that he was becoming unbearable to be around. 

"Talk to me." Baekhyun was curled in bed, phone pressed to his ear and eyes half open.

"About what?" Chanyeol chuckled. 

"I don't know," Baekhyun smiled. "Just talk. Your voice is nice. It's soothing."

"You're half asleep right now, aren't you." Chanyeol accused. Baekhyun giggled.

"Maybe."

"You're adorable. Seriously." Chanyeol proceeded to tell him a story--much like a bedtime story; a fairy tale--with the two of them as the main characters. It was a cute story, and when it was over, he asked hesitantly "Hyunnie, you awake?"

"Barely." Baekhyun mumbled. His room was dark and quiet and calm--he was barely holding consciousness.

"You should sing to me."

"What?" The request surprised him. 

"Sing to me. You're studying singing in college, right? Vocal major."

"But--"

"I told you a story. You should sing me a song."

After taking a few moments to think of what tunes he even knew the words to, he began. He tried to sing softly, not wanting to bother Sehun, but the longer he sang the less he cared.

"Still awake?" he asked after a few seconds of silence. It had been a ballad, something fitting for this time of night.

"...barely." Baekhyun could hear the drowsiness in Chanyeol's voice. "You're really good, Baekhyun." 

Baekhyun bit his lips, smiling into his pillow. "Thanks. I would hope so, it's my college major."

They were silent for a few seconds, then Baekhyun asked something that had been on his mind for a few days.

"Chanyeol, what would you do if we met for real? If we met in real life?"

"When we meet in real life. Not if." Chanyeol corrected. "It'll happen."

"Alright then, when," Baekhyun asked again. "What would you do?"

There were a few moments of thinking, then Chanyeol asked "How honest do you want me to be?"

"Completely honest." 

"Honestly... I would kiss you." he gave a sheepish laugh. "I wouldn't be able to help it. We would be in the middle of the airport, and I wouldn't even care."

The words put a nervous excitement in his chest, face scrunching into a smile. 

"Would you let me?" Chanyeol asked. It took Baekhyun a few moments to find words.

"Yeah." he answered. "I would."

 

 

It was a week before Chanyeol called him again, and he was barely on Twitter either, declaring that he had to go on a short hiatus for work. Though it was a bit sad, it lined up nicely with Baekhyun's schedule--for him, it was exam week. He did nothing but studying, reviewing, and testing, crashing into bed with every part of him exhausted. Baekhyun tried to think on the bright side, looking ahead to the week's break from school they would get after Friday. And when Friday finally came, so did a phone call.

"Hi!" Baekhyun answered brightly, sitting next to Sehun on the couch. It was just past noon--Baekhyun had finished his last exam early, and had been allowed to go home.

"Hyunnie..." Chanyeol's voice was slow, laced with something that sounded like nervous excitement. "I got a plane ticket. I'm coming to visit you."

Baekhyun sat in shock for a few moments, processing the words. "Seriously?!" he jumped up, Sehun giving him a disgruntled look before returning to the phone in his hands.

"Yeah. I've been working hard all week, and when I had enough money I bought it. I'll be arriving tomorrow, at around eleven o'clock."

Baekhyun was still in disbelief. "You're joking." 

"I can't really believe it either," there was a huge smile in Chanyeol's voice "But I'll be seeing you Saturday."

He had to exclaim a few "oh my god"s, getting a "Would you stop that?" from Sehun. 

"He's coming to visit me!" Baekhyun all but shouted at his roommate. Chanyeol laughed. 

"Hey Baekhyunnie, I've got to go," Chanyeol was still laughing a bit at him. "I just wanted to let you know."

"I...I'm... Okay." Coherency had failed Baekhyun. "Bye."

"Bye. See you soon." 

There was a click, the words "see you soon" echoing in his chest.

"Did he really buy a plane ticket?" Sehun asked. Baekhyun nodded, opening and closing his mouth a few times before he could formulate a verbal response. 

"He'll be here at about eleven on Saturday."

Sehun smiled. "Good. I'm happy for you, Baekhyun. You deserve this guy. I mean, if he's actually paying to come down and see your face, he's definitely a keeper."

"Hey!" Baekhyun whacked him indignantly, grabbing Sehun by the arm and pulling him into his room. Baekhyun flung open his closet. 

"What should I wear?"

 

 

Baekhyun woke relatively early the next morning, excitement helping him pop out of bed. He dragged Sehun awake, trying again to bother him into helping with what he should wear (he had been absolutely no help the day before). But once the teen's eyes were fully open, they were glued to his cell phone screen. Baekhyun ended up deciding on some dark pants, boots, a white tee with a few English words on it and a checkered, button-up shirt, quickly getting dressed and ready to go.

"What are you doing?" he asked Sehun, snatching the cell phone from his friend's hands. 

"Hey!" the protest was weak, Baekhyun seeing that his roommate was engaged in a text conversation. He looked at the contact name. 

"Who's Luhan? I've never heard of him." Baekhyun asked, passing the cell phone back. 

"That's because he lives in China." Sehun said quietly, hunching his shoulders as he typed out a response. 

"You hypocrite!" Baekhyun exclaimed. "I bet he's some fifty year old ual predator." he teased. 

"He's the cutest thing I've ever seen." Sehun mumbled, sighing and flopping onto Baekhyun's bed.

"It's 10:30, so I really need to get going." Baekhyun patted Sehun sympathetically. He got no response, heading out the door and to the airport. As he entered the huge buliding, his cell phone vibrated in his pocket. He'd gotten a text from Chanyeol.

Plane got in early \^o^/ I hope you're on your way because I'm waiting for you

Where are you? Baekhyun asked back, an excited knot settling in his stomach. 

Down by baggage claim 3! I'll start waving when I see you.

Following the arrows on the signs, Baekhyun maneuvered his way to the baggage area. Claim 3 was in the middle of the huge room, and standing in front of it, one hand on his red suitcase, was Park Chanyeol.

Their eyes met and a huge grin spread on Chanyeol's face, reaching one long arm up and waving. Baekhyun had to stop himself from full out sprinting, walking hurriedly over, Chanyeol's smile infectious.

"Hi." The deep voice was better in person, going straight down his spine. Chanyeol was taller than Baekhyun had expected, towering over him by nearly ten centimeters. Baekhyun looked up at him, inspecting his face. 

"You're more handsome in person." He couldn't help but say, Chanyeol putting his index finger under Baekhyun's chin.

"Can I?" he asked.

Though he'd asked a question, he didn't wait for an answer, leaning close. Too preoccupied with just how loudy his heart was beating (and a little startstuck) Baekhyun caused their noses to bump lightly. Chanyeol gave him an endearing look before smiling into the kiss.

It was sweet and soft and slow, Baekhyun's eyes fluttering closed as he all but melted into Chanyeol's embrace. When Chanyeol pulled away, his eyes were full of sincerity, the smile on his face shrinking them to perfect crescents. 

"Byun Baekhyun, it's a miracle that I met you."