Catching Up With an Old Friend

You Never Know Until You Try!

 

CHAPTER THREE

*YOUR POV*

 

I unlocked the front door and sighed as I threw my schoolbag on the couch.

“What do I do now?” I said out loud.

It’s not like any one will answer.

I lived by myself in this enormous, expensively furnished, two-story apartment that had three bedrooms all by myself. My parents were still in America.

I changed out of my uniform into a comfortably large pink “boyfriend” tee that covered most of the white shorts underneath. I slipped on my flip-flops, stuffed my ID and a bit of money into my pocket, put on my sunglasses, and left the house.

I wandered around outside for a while, relearning the area. When I used to live in this city, I rarely walked on this side of town since that meant walking past Ara High’s turf. I wasn’t scared of the students- they absolutely at fighting- but I dislike trouble.

I passed by Kuma’s restaurant and dropped by to say hello.

“Oi, Kuma! Konnichiwa! Howya’ doing man?” I hugged the big man. 

“Whoa ________-san! When’d you get back? Nice to see you again!” He hugged me back.

I began helping him with serving his customers.

“My plane landed in Japan about five days ago?” I crinkled my nose trying to remember the date. “I’m going to Kurogin Gakuen now. Today was my first day, actually.”

I wiped down a table after the customers left.

“How is it? I remember running into some of their 3-D students when I attended Shirokin Gakuen. They were rude but not as bad as Ara High,” Kuma reminisced.

“They’re not as bad as I thought,” I said thoughtfully.

“Anyways, which class are you in? Class 3-A?” He asked.

I grinned at him. “Nah man!”

“Class 3-B?” Kuma raised his eyebrow.

I shook my head.

“Oh don’t tell me,” he groaned. “You’re in Class 3-D, aren’t you?”

I nodded. “Yes sir!”

“Why?” He stated the question simply.

“Because the other classes make me want to puke,” I said quietly. “Senpai, you of all people should understand- you and Shin and all of y’all should understand how I feel. When I’m with those other classes, I just want to punch a window and run away.”

“I know what you mean,” Kuma answered. “Is your class as bad as we were?”

I rolled my eyes. “You mean, does my class talk super loud, ignore my teacher, talk back to the teacher, act like gangsters and all that?”

“Yeah.”

I thought for a moment. “Definitely yes. Oh, guess who’s the head teacher at Kurogin?”

Kuma shrugged. “How am I supposed to know that?”

“Sawatari Goro.”

Kuma started laughing really hard, clutching his sides. “That old man? He’s at Kurogin now? Oh man. He hated us!”

“I know. And he hated me too because I hung out with you guys too much,” I glared at Kuma.

He nudged me. “You should be proud you hung out with us- you were the only girl we ever got along with like that.”

That was true. They became my brothers and I became their little sister.

“Sure, sure; whatever you say Kuma.” Psh, it’s not like I’d admit that out loud.

 

The bell on the door chimed as someone walked in.

“Irashaimase,” we called out to the customer. I hurried over to her and took her order.

After giving cooking her meal and serving her, Kuma continued his conversation with me.

“How’s your teacher?”

I’ve been waiting for him to ask me this! “You’ll never believe who it is.”

“Really? I never knew you’d be this excited to tell me who your teacher is,” he commented.

“Drum roll, please.” I teased my senpai.

He rolled his eyes. “Just tell me.”

“That spoils all the fun,” I complained.

“________, if you don’t tell me right now, I’m never giving you free food again!”

I huffed. “Alright, calm down mister. Anyways, my teacher…” I paused for dramatic effect, “… is YANKUMI!”

“WHAT?” Kuma yelled, causing heads to turn our way.

After bowing to them, he turned to me. “No way? Really?”

“Yeash,” I nodded. “She’s about yay high with pigtails and glasses?” I gestured.

 “Oh yeah that’s her,” Kuma confirmed. “You’re so lucky! I’ve got to visit her soon.”

We continued working until it was closing time. Kuma’s little siblings came home and I played with them until it was time for their dinner. He invited me to stay and eat, but I politely declined.

“I still have errands to do,” I explained.

He walked me to the door. “Take care of yourself and visit me often, aight?”

“Bye Teddy Bear!” I called over my shoulder and laughed. Teddy Bear was my nickname for him.

I stretched as I walked, throwing my hands to the sky.

It was definitely nice to be back.