Chapter 3

Tied

During week days, Stop&Shop is very crowded because high school students drop in after classes are over. Yoona usually woke up early to avoid them since it takes longer to check out but today, she woke up late thanks to a certain someone and had to be there at the same time as them.

She knew where to go by heart. First, the milk, the cheese, none flavored yogurt, and the butter then the eggs then the flour and baking powder. When Yoona reached to grab the flour bag, someone else’s hand went for it as well. Their hands touched for a minute then pulled away a second later.

“You take it,” they said at the same time while Yoona looked up, smiling politely.

“You!” they both squeaked as they stared at each other in disbelief.

The priestess, Yoona thought immediately.

“Are you stalking me?” Changmin asked, clearly upset.

“No I’m not; I come here all the time to buy things for the bakery.”

“I always come here too and this is my first time seeing you around.” Changmin debated.

“That’s because I come in the morning…” Yoona explained then trailed off, “Wait a minute, Why would I stalk you? You’re the one who’s more like a stalker than I ever will be.”

“Not that again please,” he sighed angrily then glared at her, “I told you I didn’t know it was your house.”

“Alright, whatever, I don’t want to waste my time with you. Move out of the way please,” Yoona said.

“No, I came here first, you move,” he said, shrugging.

“You move!”

“No you!”

“You!”

“No you!”

At exactly the same time, they sighed and moved their cart to the other side.

“Ughhhh, I know you’re blocking my way on purpose!”  Yoona exclaimed.

“I’m not!” Changmin shouted loud enough that people started to look at them now. “Maybe you’re accusing me of your own crime!”

Yoona felt herself fuming even more but she was also very conscious of the stares coming their way so she decided it’s best to just leave this place.

“Oh my god, you’re so embarrassing to be around,” Yoona grunted.

“I should be the one saying that,” Changmin said bitterly.

“Okay,” She said politely with an edge of anger, “I will move my cart now so we can each go our separate ways, okay?”

“Whatever,” Changmin scoffed. Yoona was ready to snap at him again but she controlled herself.

“Alright then,” Yoona said, moving her cart to the other side and snatching a bag of flour on her way.

********

Donghae looked as handsome as ever to Yoona when she  arrived in the park after dropping her grocery in the bakery and dropping by Yuri’s house for lunch.  When Donghae saw her, she smiled to him and waved but he didn’t smile or wave back. Donghae didn’t always get mad, but when he did, he’s really scary.

“Hey Oppa,” Yoona greeted him nervously as she sat next to him, “How are you today?”

“Good,” Donghae replied coldly. Yoona’s heart started to beat hard again. After a few silent moments, Donghae spoke again.

“Im Yoona. Explain yourself now,” Donghae demanded, not bothering to look at her. She wanted to tell him everything about the curse but she knew she wouldn’t—she couldn’t, literally. She was forbidden from telling anyone but that guy about the vow.

“Oppa…” she has never lied to him, she hid things from him, yes, but she didn’t lie to him and she didn’t want to change that, “Something unexpected happened. I can’t tell you what happened and I hope you understand that but I shouldn’t have left you like that without notice and for that, I’m truly very sorry.”

“What’s that something?” Donghae asked, curious.

“I can’t tell you,” Yoona replied.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Donghae demanded.

“It means, Oppa, that I won’t tell you,” Yoona answered, looking down at her sweating hands.

“Since when did you start keeping things from me?” Donghae asked, the pained expression on his face hurt Yoona as well.

Not things, Oppa, just one thing. And I’ve kept it from you since forever, she wanted to say.

“Oppa, Please,” she begged, looking at him with teary eyes. It hurt her enough that she can’t have him, he didn’t have to add salt to her wound by treating her like this.

Donghae’s gaze softened and guilt washed over him as he put an arm around her shoulder, “I just want to help you, Yoona. You’re a very important person to me”

An important person.

Yoona thumbed her tears away and took a deep breath, suddenly courageous “An important person? How important exactly?”

“Very important,” Donghae said, knowing exactly where this was going and Yoona knew he wanted to avoid the topic. For the millionth time.

“Oppa, why do you like acting like an idiot?  You know how I feel; you know that I’m madly in love with you,” Yoona confessed, no more tears flowing down her cheeks now. Im Yoona wanted to end this once and for all, she was tired of Donghae pretending to not know her feelings for him, “Just tell me how you feel about me, Okay?”

“Hey, hey. Calm down, are you okay?” he said as she moved away from his arm that was wrapping her in his embrace.

“Is that all you’re going to say?” Yoona said fiercely and stood up—enraged, “Oppa, I’m saying that I love you! Why don’t you understand?”

“Yoona, please calm down,” Donghae begged, his eyes not looking at hers as he, too, stood up.

“No you please listen. I said I love you. I want to know right now if you feel the same about me or not. I’m tired of this one-sided love that I’ve had with you since—since practically forever,” Yoona sighed weakly, her heart growing heavy.

“Yoona, let’s talk when you’re in your right state of mind, okay?” Donghae insisted.

“I’ve never been saner in my life. I want your answer. Right now,” Yoona said, “We’re not teenagers anymore, No need for too much drama. Just answer my confession with ‘yes’ or ‘no’”

Donghae sighed and turned away from Yoona and her heart broke into million pieces by this simple action because she knew his answer before he stated it, loud and clear, “I love you the same way I do Amber, like a blood-related sister”

Yoona sat (fell) into the bench and covered her face with her hands. Donghae looked at her with a sorrowful expression. He made a move to approach her but Yoona waved him away, “Please…leave me alone for now. I’ll be fine...just—just go away.”

Donghae nodded in understanding and mouthed a “Sorry” then slowly and painfully walked away.

***********

When Yoona finally got her senses back, the park was empty and the sun was going down already. She stood up, all numb, when she heard a soft crying voice. It was a child’s voice. She dashed towards the voice and when she arrived, there was someone kneeling on his knees for the young child and she wasn’t entirely shocked when that person turned out to be her “soul mate”.

When he looked up, he opened his mouth, ready to yell at her and call her a stalker again but the little girl’s voice stopped them.

“I want daddy!” the girl cried. She was beautiful, despite her not-so-clean attire. Her eyes were big and rounded and her side-bangs still fell perfectly straight on the sides of her small forehead. Changmin looked at the girl and smiled.

“We’ll find your Dad, little girl.” Changmin patted the girl’s shoulder softly.

“No you won’t!” the girl sobbed as Yoona approached them.

Yoona sat on her knees also and patted the girl’s head, “Unnie will take you out for dinner then she’ll look for your Dad with you until we find him, okay?” 

Yoona’s voice was tender and much to Changmin’s surprise, the girl seemed to calm down.

“Really?” the little girl asked, looking up, she was still breathing heavily from the crying but she seemed better.

“Really,” Yoona said, brushing the girl’s tears away, “What’s your name?”

“Lee Eunji,” the girl replied.

“How old are you Eunji?” Yoona asked, standing up.

“6 years old,” Eunji answered.

“You’re a big girl,” Yoona grinned and Eunji finally smiled.

“You guys go eat and I’ll go to the police station to see if any girl is reported missing, okay?” Changmin said, as he and Eunji too, stood up. Yoona’s dislike for Changmin lessened by his offer to help the lost child. He’s not a complete jerk, Yoona concluded as she nodded.

“We’ll be at the Chinese restaurant facing the park,” Yoona said. “Eunji-ah, do you like Chinese food?”

Eunji braved another smile as she nodded her head excitedly, “Of course!”

“Okay then, Unnie will treat you to a Chinese restaurant and you can eat as much as you want,” Yoona said, stretching out her hand for Eunji to hold.

“See you at the restaurant, Eunji.” Changmin said, looking at Eunji and ignoring Yoona completely. not that Yoona cared, of course.

“See you, ajussi!” Eunji said as she held Yoona’s index finger.

“Ajussi?” Yoona laughed and Eunji grinned back at her proudly, “Eunji-ah, you’re a good girl!”

“Whatever,” Changmin rolled his eyes but Yoona can tell he was suppressing a smile too.

“See you later, Changmin” Yoona called. Changmin knew he had told her his name earlier that morning but he was still a bit surprised when she remembered it.

“See you, Yoona” he said, and from her surprised (delighted) expression, he knew she didn’t expect him to remember her name either.

*********

“Eunji-ah, what’s your Dad’s name?” Yoona asked.

“Lee Jinyoung” Eunji answered as they waited for their food to arrive.

“What about your Mom?”

“I don’t have a Mom;” Eunji answered indifferently, “Dad said there’s no need for such things.”

“Oh,” was all Yoona could say.

“Do you know where you live, Eunji?” Yoona asked after a while.

“Yes,” Eunji answered, her eyes following the waiter who was taking the orders from the next table. She was getting impatient, Yoona noted.

“Where?” Yoona pressed.

“Everywhere,” Eunji answered, still looking at the waiter.

“What do you mean everywhere?” Yoona pressed even more.

“We live everywhere. Daddy and I went all over the country, it’s so much fun and we play with a lot of different kids, that’s why I have a lot of friends, but you know, Unnie, we never go back to my friends so I always miss them but  Daddy said we might travel to another country so the bad guys won’t find us and we’ll stop traveling,” Eunji said, her eyes shining brightly as she talked about her Dad.

“Who are the bad guys?” Yoona asked almost immediately. She wished she hadn’t asked it because Eunji stopped staring at the waiter and turned to look at Yoona, her eyes still shining, only this time they were shining from the tears that threatened to fall.

“They’re the people that hate Daddy and don’t want us to be happy…Daddy said we have to hide from them because…” Eunji started to cry again as she continued, “Because they want to take him away from me!”

Yoona didn’t know what to say, she went to Eunji’s side and hugged her.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,” she chanted even though a part of her told her to stop lying to the little girl because it was not okay.

“Do you think the bad people caught him and that’s why he’s not with me? Do you think they finally won and took him away?” Eunji suddenly asked, raising her head up to glare at Yoona. Her bangs were messy now and her whole face was wet with tears.

Yoona didn’t know how to answer the girl. In all honesty, she did think her Dad was caught, I mean, why else would he disappear suddenly from the park and not take his daughter with him?

“I don’t know,” Yoona replied, “But even if he’s caught, the police will find him, Okay?”

“What if they don’t?” Eunji sniffled, ready to start another round of crying.

“They will because that’s their job,” Yoona lied but Eunji didn’t look better at all so she added, “But we don’t know if he was caught or not yet. So for all I know, he might have gone to buy you a big present and that’s why he didn’t return. I’m sure he’ll look for you and find you.”

“Do you really think so?” Eunji asked, hopeful. Yoona can tell Eunji believed everything she said and it made her both grateful and guilty.

“Yes, I do” Yoona lied again, then she saw the waiter approaching them and thanked god that she was saved, “Oh look, the food’s here, let’s eat!”

Eunji stared at the dishes happily (and impatiently) as the waiter placed them in front of them.

Yoona didn’t feel like eating, much to her own amusement. She just watched the little girl eating so happily and wondered for how long the food would keep her happy for. Will they be able to find her Dad? And if they did, who are the bad people that are chasing them, loan sharks, Yoona guessed. Will the Dad be able to take care of Eunji who might get hurt because of them? Eunji should be in first grade now but Yoona guessed she doesn’t go to school, so when will Eunji be able to enroll in school if her Dad is always on the run?

“Changmin Oppa is here,” Eunji said, bringing Yoona back to reality, Changmin had just entered the restaurant, “But don’t tell him I said Oppa, I like calling him ajussi.”

Yoona raised her eyebrows at the little girl then laughed, “Okay, I won’t.”

“Hey there, beautiful,” Changmin said as he sat facing the two girls.

“What happened?” Yoona asked immediately.

“Hey let me eat and rest first, annoying brat,” Changmin whined comically but once Eunji laughed and continued to eat, he looked at Yoona and tilted his head to Eunji’s side. She knew what he wanted to say, not in front of her.

“Eunji-ah, Changmin ajussi and I will go get water and come back, okay?” Yoona said, ignoring Changmin’s glare.

“Okay, I’m thirsty too,” Eunji mumbled as she continued to chew on her rice.

“Changmin ajussi, thanks,” Changmin rolled his eyes once they went to the hall taking them to the bathrooms. Yoona halted her steps and leaned on the wall facing them bathrooms.

“Not my fault she calls you ajussi,” Yoona shrugged, “Anyways, what happened?”

“No girl reported missing,” Changmin informed, “The policeman said we can turn her in to the police but they’ll probably just put her in an orphanage and question her until her Dad shows up and I thought that was a bad idea.”

“So are you taking her home with you?” Yoona asked.

“I figured you would take her in until we find her Dad,” Changmin said, suddenly worried that Yoona might not take care of Eunji after all but then somewhere deep him, he was so sure that Yoona isn’t the type to not lend a helping hand, “I have to work tomorrow.”

“And what makes you think that I want to take care of a little girl that I met a few hours ago when the country has orphanages and programs that take care of lost children like her?” Yoona questioned.

“I don’t know why I think you would take her in but I do know you are going to take her in,” Changmin said.

Yoona chuckled, impressed “Okay, Mister, you’re correct. I’m not about to leave her alone, I promised I’ll take care of her until we find her Dad and I will.”

Changmin grinned, “I knew you weren’t a horrible person even if you do have a thing for stalking. I guess you really liked that kiss.”

“You wish,” Yoona said, equally smug.

“So what did Eunji tell you?” Changmin asked.

“Well her Dad’s name is, Lee Jinyoung and she don’t have a Mom. I don’t know if she’s dead or not. Apparently her Dad wasn’t very fond of his wife. Anyways, She doesn’t live in a house because she travels from city to city with her Dad,” Yoona replied.

“What do you mean move from one city to another?” Changmin questioned.

“She said they’re running away from bad people. I’m guessing loan sharks, I don’t know, she started to cry so I didn’t ask her more questions, poor girl doesn’t even go to school,” Yoona sighed.

“I’ll report that to the police tomorrow morning before I go to work and see if what happens.,” Changmin concluded.

“Okay, Thanks. Let’s go Eunji now, she’s probably wondering why bringing water takes too long,” Yoona said, walking towards the table area.

“She didn’t question why two people had to go to bring water, I don’t think she’ll question the time it takes to bring it,” Changmin said with a smirk as he followed her.

When they arrived, Eunji was already done eating and was waiting for them to return. Changmin gave Eunji the water he and Yoona brought and took the seat facing Eunji again.

“Eunji, let’s go buy you some clothes before we go to my house, Okay?” Yoona said, still standing, “Changmin ajussi will pay the bill because I left my wallet in the car and the car is on the other side of the park.”

Yoona expected Changmin to retort with something bitter or be shocked but all he said was, “Oh, and did my lady, Yoona, want me to accompany her to buy clothes for the young mistress and pay for them as well. Because, you know, I would love to do that.”

Yoona laughed, “No, it’s okay. I’m going to my friend’s house before going to the store anyways”

“I feel humiliated, the young madam does not need my company anymore,” Changmin said sarcastically. Eunji broke into a hysterical laughter.

“Ajussi is so funny!” she exclaimed.

Changmin straightened his shoulders proudly, “And handsome as well, right?”

Yoona rolled her eyes as Eunji nodded her head.

“Well, Eunji, get up, we have to go now,” Yoona said. Eunji obeyed with a smile.

“Wait,” Changmin said, “I gave the police my information so if anything new happens they would call me…and so…since Eunji is staying at your place, I guess I have to get your number so I can keep you updated.”

“Ah, sure,” Yoona said. She gave him her number and told him to call her so she could save his.

“Bye then?” Yoona said after she saved his number.

“One more thing, what did you save me as?” Changmin asked.

“Changmin, what else?” Yoona replied then she raised her eyebrows, “What did you save me as?”

Changmin smirked, “It’s a secret,”

“If it was any other day, I would probably insist you tell me but I’m so exhausted so I don’t care, bye,” Yoona sighed.

“Bye, Doe” he said. And Yoona knew what he saved her as.

“Bye ajussi,” Eunji said as she held Yoona’s hand and exited the restaurant.

“Bye, Bye beautiful!” Changmin said to Eunji.

“Bye!” Eunji said again.

Yoona found it amusing how Changmin and Eunji continued to wave to each other until they were out of the door. 

For the rest of the night, she successfully avoided thinking about Donghae and for that, she had to thank Eunji who never stopped telling Yoona stories about the friends she had in other cities.