Precious Moments

The Other Side of the Mirror

DOUBLE UPDATED! Go back one chapter!


As Sehun gave Jina a final farewell hug, Sunmi moved to load her bagpack into the car they rented. A shadow casted upon her as she did so as a tall figure blocked her way. "Hey, aren't you going to do something about that?" Chanyeol turned her head to look at Sehun and Jina.

Sunmi blinked. "What?"

"What what?" Chanyeol spluttered, wrinkling his nose. "It's a known fact that our maknae was crushing on Lee Jina before he came hurtling into our world. Aren't you going to protect your territory a little bit?"

"Terri...tory?" Sunmi raised her brows in amusement. "Oh so you mean for me to pee on Sehun. I don't think he'd like that." she muttered sarcastically.

Chanyeol tore at his hair in frustration. "No, I mean showing everyone who's Sehun's girlfriend!" he ran to hug her arm. "You can be like, Sehun baby come on drink more water it's good for you, or Sehunnie I'm tired, can't you give me a piggy back?" his hoarse deep voice rose several octaves to result in an awful screech.

Sunmi shook her head and walked straight forward to help Suho with the rest of the bags. Suho gave her a friendly smile and raised his brows in question at the tall giraffe scampering behind her. "Sunmi! You're going to lose your man if you're so laid-back!" Chanyeol huffed indignantly.

Suho blinked in confusion and Sunmi just shook her head once more. "Ignore him and his retarded-ness." she shrugged.

"Good idea." Suho murmured under his breath as he got another two bags into the back seat.

Chanyeol huffed and blew on his bangs. "No one ever listens to my wise words." he complained to no one in particular. "So unfair."

Sunmi peeked at Sehun and Jina from the inside the car and felt an unwanted twinge within her as she gazed at the sight. As much as she trusted Sehun, seeing her boyfriend getting close and chummy with another girl could never be something nice to look at.

But then again, she trusted her boyfriend. A lot.

And it would be disrespectful to him if she even doubted him a little bit, like she did before. She now knew how stupid that all was and refused to sink into that ever again.

Sunmi forced herself to look away from the window and she focused on her fingers, playing with them distractedly as the rest of the boys loaded into the large car they had rented. Kai plopped himself in the seat beside her and passed her a bar of chocolate. "Want some?"

Sunmi gave him a smile and nod, making a move to grab the bar when Kai moved it out of reach. "On second thoughts, I want it for myself." Kai smirked.

Sunmi's mouth fell open in disbelief and was about to knock Kai on the head, when Baekhyun stole the bar from Kai's grip. "Aww man how did you know I was hungry." eyeliner boy grinned and tore the wrapper open, shoving half the bar into his mouth.

Kai's face fell and he let out an uncharacteristic whine. "Hyung!"

The others got into the SUV one by one and Sehun was the last to squeeze himself on the right of Sunmi. She glanced at him in concern and looked back at Jina who was watching them depart. "You okay?" she whispered. She knew that with how their life was, it could possibly be the last time Sehun could see his best friend.

Sehun nodded and gave her a watery smile, squeezing her hand. "I'll be fine. I have you, don't I?"

Sunmi searched Sehun's face to make sure he wasn't just saying that to comfort her. He was the one who needed to be comforted not her. But then his eyes glimmered with determination and adoration, his lips were pressed into a firm line, and Sunmi knew that even though those words were cheesy enough for a kdrama, Sehun did mean them.

Sunmi gave Sehun's hand one last squeeze and turned around to wave goodbye to Jina as the car departed. She didn't know what was in store for them in the future, not even tomorrow of the next hour, but she knew that because she had Sehun and her friends, everything would be fine.

 

"How can you steal that from your hyung? What is this? Isn't there any respect for the elderly anymore?" D.O. whined, puffing his cheeks in annoyance as he glared at the dance machine. "Kim Jong In!"

Kai ignored the naggy hyung and cramped the tart into his mouth before D.O. could do anything about it, making the elder's face fall in disappointment. Kai even did a big show of kissing all his fingers and putting out a good sign like the last step of gwiyomi, indicating how delicious it was.

"Ma-hi-ga." he managed between bites, meaning maa.

D.O. narrowed his eyes at the dance machine and grounded his teeth. "See if I ever cook for you again for the rest of your life." he muttered to himself in annoyance.

The group had driven quite a long while to the nearest bus interchange and Suho had called up the rental service to pick up their car. They were going to take the coach to a further place with less people, they hoped, where people didn't have access to newspaper that easily and wouldn't have known of the hit-and-run incident.

They didn't have much cash with them since Suho was dead against stealing from their homes before they came here, so all the money they had were the little bits of cash they had left after their weekly allowances, which was pathetically little especially with Chanyeol's spending habits.

They knew that they had to get some temporary jobs or what not when they got where they were going, but it felt more like a trip than some sort of mission to hide from the rest of the world.

Baekhyun leaned his head on Chanyeol's shoulder since his best friend was so awesomely tall, and yawned without discretion. "Where are we going, exactly? I wonder if there'll be any hot girls in the place." he murmured with a sly grin. "Girls that look like SNSD."

"You wish." Chanyeol wrinkled his nose and shook Baekhyun's head off, earning a scowl. "I bet there'll be ahjummas and halmeonis around instead of cute babes. What I'm looking forward to is the food." he rubbed his palms together and his lips. "Don't you think this feels like a trip? Oh man, I want to play hide and seek." he gave a little skip.

Kai eyed him with such disbelief that Sunmi snorted in her laughter. "Dude, you're like the giant out of us and you want to play hide and seek? How old are you again? And besides, with your size, I don't think you'll hide very well."

"Humph." Chanyeol scoffed. "I bet I'll last the longest out of all of you. Just watch and see." he looked around with his bird's eye view. "Where's Suho hyung anyway? He's taking such a long time getting the tickets. Or maybe," his eyes lit up. "He found a BBQ shop along the way and got us some delicious succulent-"

"Stop daydreaming. Suho hyung is back and his hands are empty." Baekhyun woke Chanyeol from his day dream and the latter pouted. "Talk about being a wet blanket."

-----

The gang arrived in Bo-seong, Jeollanam-do after hours of rides and all of them were massaging their butts as they limped out of the coach. It was a small village with hillsides that were plain gorgeous especially when it was autumn, and the gang could spot several ahjummas picking out tea leaves in the hills.

Sunmi took a deep breath as she stretched, a bright smile lighting her face. Coming here made her feel lighter, less burdened, and even if their problems still weren't solved, she couldn't help but feel very relieved and stress-free in a place like this.

A warm hand enveloped hers, making Sunmi glance up with a small smile. Sehun beamed down at her brightly and made a big show of kissing her temple. "Tired?"

Sunmi shook her head and gave him an eye-smile. "I feel refreshed and reenergized after getting off the bus. Like how you feel less tired when lessons end." she grinned. "I've never heard of this place, had no intention of ever visiting, the thought of having no internet or broadband just scares me, so is it weird for me to like and anticipate this place so much?"

Sehun chuckled and swung their hands as they followed the rest of the group, lagging just a little bit so that they could have a little bit of privacy for themselves.

"Nope. It's not weird because it's understandable." Sehun gave her a wink that screamed of cuteness instead of the intended y effect. "Because you're going to be spending it with me!" he announced with exploding cuteness.

Sunmi bit back a smile and pretended to put on a disapproving face. "It's totally against nature that my boyfriend is cuter than me." she muttered.

Sehun bumped her shoulders with his and snuck another kiss to her cheek. "Deal with it!"

Sunmi was about to retort when Kai turned back to shoot them a look. "Sunmi, don't make us go big brother on you and maknae, get your arm off her waist and come help with the bags!" he hollered.

Oh well.

------

To save up on their remaining cash, the gang had to sleep in tents and sleeping bags until they found appropriate jobs to keep the food coming. The tents were set up in a small clearing and a small camp fire was set up in the middle of their tents.

The boys were getting ready for bed when Sunmi realized that one of them was missing. Her stomach gave a sickening lurch when she considered the possibility of Sehun being found by one of the local cops. She swallowed down her unease and jogged off to look for him.

To her immense relief, she found him leaning against one of those tall trees as he stared up at the night sky. It would have been nice if there were a lot of glittering stars and a bright pretty moon, but Sunmi was sad to admit that the sky looked pretty dull that night with all the clouds blocking the view.

And by the looks of it, Sehun's mood seemed pretty dull as well.

"Sehun?" she whispered softly.

He didn't seem to hear her at first, but he jerked slightly at her third call. He turned around and Sunmi was surprised to see the tears glistening in his eyes and how forlorn he looked. "Sehun? Are you okay?" she rushed over hurriedly.

Sehun tugged on her wrist once and pulled her to his chest, burying his face in her hair. Sunmi froze for a split second, surprised at his sudden movement. She felt slight moisture against her neck and her gaze softened. Even if Sehun wasn't the manliest man around, he wasn't the sort to cry easily.

"I'm sorry, this is all my fault." he whispered forlornly, his grip tightening around her waist. Sunmi's hands came up hesitantly to pat his back in a comforting fashion. "It's my fault you guys are stuck here. How long will the newness of this last? Hyungs will get tired of this life, you'll slowly find all this a trouble, and just..."

"This is our choice, Sehun." Sunmi felt upset that Sehun still felt like everything was his fault. It wasn't. "If this was me, the boys would have done the same. You would have done the same. You're their friend, Sehun, you're important to them. To me."

"Of course, we would have preferred if we could stay in our own world." Sunmi muttered, first time through these weeks where she admitted to missing home. "But we don't regret making this choice. At least, I don't. We will find a way to get back, we will find a way out of this like we always would."

Sehun lifted his gaze and stared into her eyes. "What did I do in my previous life to deserve you?" he whispered, swallowing visibly.

Sunmi gave him a small smile. "Nothing. Just be yourself."