A Chance

The Other Side of the Mirror

 

Running out of options, the EXO-K boys and Sunmi decided to visit Ahjusshi Han from the antique shop once more to ask for tips on how to find the third enchanted mirror.

It really that the each enchanted mirror could only be used once, but the entire idea of this mirror was really too vague. They hadn't even been aware that the mirrors could be used as a communication tool between the two worlds and look what happened the previous night. Had it not been for the mirrors, Sunmi wouldn't even have known if Sehun had gone to jail for something he never did.

The boys reached the antique shop and were not surprised to find it empty. People didn't visit such stores nowadays, with little interest for such items that weren't brand new and sleek and shiny.

Sunmi treaded into the store carefully and let her eyes wander around cautiously. "Han Ahjusshi?" she called out hesitantly, wondering if the man would still remember her.

They found Ahjusshi Han brewing a pot of tea for himself while the day's newspaper was laid out on the glass table. He looked a little more than surprised seeing these young men again, but more than anything, Sunmi noticed how he appeared to be a little more jumpy than natural.

"Oh hi kids!" Ahjusshi Han straightened and smiled. "What brought you here again?" his eyes searched around them. "Where is that fair boy from the other time? Have you found another mirror to send him back to his world?"

The boys looked at each other, wondering how they were supposed to explain it.

Suho stepped forward and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "We need your help, Han Ahjusshi." he muttered. "Sehun has been switched back to his world and we need to get him back."

-----

It took quite a while to explain the entire story and quite a few repeats because Ahjusshi Han didn't really buy their story readily and was shocked at several points. It was really rather bittersweet with regards to a love that transcended different worlds, because it was bound to end in tears.

The most shocking thing however, was that Sehun was willing to sacrifice everything in his other life to stay, just for Sunmi.

Ahjusshi Han did a double take at Sunmi and inwardly wondered if he was right to judge the youngsters of the generation so quickly. To assume that they had no compassion, no chivalry, no love any longer, it appeared to be a generalization didn't it?

"So you're telling me that you need to switch the two Sehuns AGAIN because Sunmi loves Sehun and can't leave without him?" Ahjusshi Han asked with a frown. "Even though I can't help you because I have no idea where the other mirrors are, there's also the fact that you can't possibly rob the Devil, as you call him, the Devil of his life and identity. That's wrong. Unless, well, the Devil wants to remain in the other world."

"That's not the case, Han Ahjusshi." Baekhyun shook his head, frowning. "The Devil has to go to the other world as well, because that's the only way he can pay for the crimes he has committed. It doesn't make sense for our Sehun to suffer when he did nothing wrong. The Devil has to pay the price of his sins."

Ahjusshi Han raised his brows, wondering what this was about.

Chanyeol shifted uncomfortably and stared at his feet. "The Devil killed someone in a hit-and-run accident." he told the Ahjusshi. "Sehun told us. Apparently the two mirrors can act as a communication platform and all of us were there to witness as the mirrors acted as webcams, enabling us to see Sehun and vice versa. He told us himself, the Devil was involved in a fatal hit and run accident and now our Sehun has to go to jail because of that!"

"The mirror acted as a communication platform?" Ahjusshi Han asked, curiosity spiked.

D.O. looked a little irritated that the Ahjusshi was focusing on the wrong things. Sure the mirrors were enchanting and fascinating but hello, their friend was going to have to go to jail for the rest of his life because he supposedly killed someone which he hadn't. That was supposed to be more important.

"I guess perhaps it had to do with the fact that you were thinking of him while you held the mirror and maybe he was doing the same." Ahjusshi Han muttered thoughtfully to himself, seeming to have forgotten the problem. "Amazing, the guy who sold me this never told me about this-"

"Ahjusshi!" Kai cut in, frowning. "I know it's amazing and all but focus on the problem here. We have to save Sehun from the other world because he's going to have to go to a life time jail because the Devil killed you!"

Ahjusshi Han blinked. "Me?"

"Yes!" Kai growled in anguish. "He killed the other world's you so if you're not careful, he might even decide to accidentally run you over with his car alright?"

Ahjusshi Han seemed a little pale after that. He cleared his throat and tried to compose himself. "If you're asking me if I have another one of those enchanted mirrors, the answer is no. I have no idea where to get another one of those." he explained. "I can't help."

"You HAVE TO." Sunmi whispered desperately, her hands. "My boyfriend is about to go to jail for something he didn't do. He's all alone on the other side with no one who will believe this ridiculous story of him switching worlds and all that. Don't you feel any sympathy or justice at all?"

"I..." Ahjusshi Han's eyes darted over to his second drawer, making Kai furrow his brows in suspicion. "I have no idea where to find another one of those enchanted mirror- HEY kid what are you doing!"

Kai ignored Ahjusshi Han and he pulled the drawer open immediately, feeling more and more suspicious of the Ahjusshi's reaction. And holy, wrapped in a thin coat of plastic was another wooden framed mirror, smaller than the original metal framed one but looking equally intricate.

Kai's hand shot out to grab the mirror before the Ahjusshi could react, backing away quickly so that he was out of reach. The Ahjusshi looked horrified and he stumbled off his chair, his lips nervously. "That's just my wife's precious mirror, kid. Just give it back now."

Kai shook his head stubbornly, tearing the plastic off the mirror and flipping it to it's back. His eyes settled on the familiar words engraved at the back and his eyes glimmered with disbelief. "You've found a second enchanted mirror."

"No I just engraved that in." Ahjusshi Han blurted out. "It's not the real thing." he made a mad grab for the mirror and Kai held it away.

D.O. frowned. "If it wasn't the real thing why are you so panicky?" he snorted. "You're obviously lying."

"Lie or not, that mirror is mine! You can't take it away from me!" Ahjusshi Han pounced at Kai who managed to dodge at the last minute. A vase on the table wobbled dangerously.

"You're really an evil man!" Kai dodged again with his quick skills. "First you just hand such a dangerous object to Sunmi without telling her what it does, and now when you have the one thing that will save Sehun, you don't want to hand it over. You're despicable!"

Ahjusshi Han looked a little sheepish, but mostly looked angry and resentful. "Had I not given the first mirror to you in the first place, I would have had two mirrors by the time I found this one and I could have gone over to the other world and back, safely." he huffed. "If anything, I would blame you guys because now I only have one!"

"You evil bastar-" Chanyeol started, his face reddening with annoyance rapidly.

"Enough!" Sunmi yelled. Everyone stopped in their positions, snapping their gazes to her. She was breathing in and out deeply, her eyes closed and her face without a speck of emotion. "Kai, give the mirror back to Ahjusshi Han."

Everyone's eyes widened, even Ahjusshi Han's. "What the ?" Kai gaped.

"Give it back. NOW." Sunmi snapped, her eyes fluttering open and frowning. "Han Ahjusshi found the mirror, it's his to keep it and do whatever he wants with it. You can't just steal it from him no matter how desperate we are for it."

Kai swallowed visibly and stared at the mirror before glaring at the Ahjusshi with a look that could potentially kill. "Do you know what you're saying? Do you want Sehun to be given the life sentence for something he never did? We NEED this mirror, Sunmi. The Devil has to pay for whatever wrongs he has committed."

Sunmi flinched. She desperately wanted to just punch the Ahjusshi and to run away with the mirror but the truth was, her conscience wouldn't allow it. They couldn't just....STEAL from an old man like that. Even if she desperately needed to.

If they were to have this particular mirror, it would have to come from the Ahjusshi himself. Willingly.

"Give it back. Now." Sunmi repeated firmly.

Kai's hesitant gaze met D.O.'s one of disbelief, and Suho sighed softly in the background. "Give it back, Jongin." he murmured. "Sunmi's right. We can't steal from him."

Kai's shoulders sagged in disappointment and he shoved the darn mirror into the Ahjusshi's hands. "Take it back and live a happy life, you." he couldn't help but snap.

Sunmi let out a small sigh and forced a bitter smile. "Sorry about being a nuisance, Han Ahjusshi. We will be going now." she bowed respectfully. "Come on guys, let's go looking for the third mirror if we don't want Sehun to go to jail." she trudged out of the shop with heavy footsteps.

The EXO-K boys followed after her and Chanyeol couldn't resist stucking out his tongue at Ahjusshi Han before he left. Ahjusshi Han sat at his chair shakily, holding the precious mirror in his arms. What were the chances that one man stumbled upon such a rare enchanted thing, not only once but twice in his life?

It had to be less than 0.01%. And yet he, he had managed to find two of such mirrors in his entire lifetime.

The first one he gave away because he didn't entirely believe it would work and he didn't want to be trapped in another world if it did. The second one he couldn't bear to part with it any longer because he knew this thing was real.

He wanted to experience the other world just before he died, to look around, to experience...

His eyes flickered to the door where the gang had just left. He remembered the look of desperation and resignation Sunmi had in her eyes as she made Kai return the mirror to him. The look that people had on their faces when they finally came to terms that their life . Big time.

Han Ahjusshi placed the mirror down gently and bit his lip. The meaning of life, what was it?

 

 

 

What in the world was she thinking? How could she gave told Kai to give that precious mirror back to Ahjusshi Han? She must be out of her mind.

Sunmi suddenly stood up from her bed, her fists clenched. The metal rimmed mirror was clutched tight in her hands, never once leaving her sight since the night when Sehun's image appeared. It seemed this connection needed more investigation as to what would spark these sudden communication panels between the two worlds, but she knew enough. Sehun needed help and she just turned it away.

Blame herself on being too righteous really.

Sunmi strode down to the first floor and had the sudden urge to run all the way to Ahjusshi Han's shop, break in, and steal that second enchanted mirror away.

She flung the door open, the chilly night air attacking her exposed skin at once. She shivered involuntarily and reached out for her slippers when she noticed a package in the front of her porch. She raised her brows when she saw her name on the package, apparently addressed to her.

The moment her fingers wound itself around the package wrapped in brown paper, her heart gave a leap of hope. It couldn't be...could it?

She tore the paper without a second's thought and gasped to herself when she saw that it was the wooden framed mirror she saw at the Ahjusshi Han's shop earlier that afternoon. A note was attached to it using plain yellow post-it, scribbled in a neat handwriting.

To: Sunmi

I have thought about this deeply. I know I would probably regret my decision some time later in my life. But I also know I would regret if I didn't do this.

I realize that life is about experience, not results. Too bad it took me such a long time to realize this, and at this age as well. The experience I had always yearned for was an out of this world experience, an experience that no one will ever get, an experience that can set me aside from normal ordinary people.

The mirror holds this portal to the other world and it has always been my ticket to my dream. I don't want a usual life, I want one that is mind-blowingly unique. This has been my reason for being interested in antiques and the likes and other special collections.

And today I realized something. I realized that even if I had that out of this world experience which I had yearned to achieve and experience for so many years, I wouldn't be able to feel genuine happiness if this fact kept nagging at me at the back of my head.

The fact that I had let someone down. The fact that I had the capacity of helping someone out but chose not to because of my selfish reasons. Not to mention, I was the cause of this entire chaos.

Take this mirror to save your beloved, Sunmi. I'm not entirely sure what the rules are and the exact instructions on how to operate this mirror and I am sure the man who had sold me this wasn't entirely clear in his explanations. However, take it to use it as you wish and save him from a fate that does not belong to him.

Come visit my shop when you bring him back.

-Ahjusshi Han

 

Sunmi clutched the mirror to her heart and let out a grateful sob. "Thank you." she croaked. "Thank you so much."