Late Realizations

The Other Side of the Mirror

 

Sehun grew more and more moody with each passing day that Sunmi avoided him. The angel boy was just so innocent and naive that he didn't realize the changes in his own feelings and how the centre of his attention had changed a long time ago.

He did, however, realize how he absolutely hated it that Sunmi wasn't talking to him anymore. She didn't give one single reasonable reason for her sudden actions and Sehun felt empty after their fake break up.

He tried to tell himself that it didn't matter, that they weren't dating anyway and it shouldn't affect him as such. The truth was, it affected him. He wanted Sunmi back, even if just in name.

He couldn't stand how the other guys started approaching Sunmi once again now that the news that she was single once more had spread. How he yearned to break every one of their puny little necks and knee them where it hurted the most. Cruel yes, but he couldn't help it.

The thing about the fake break up was that he couldn't do anything even if those guys were pursuing Sunmi. He had to act nonchalant about it when he didn't feel that way, because it was Sunmi's decision and he had to respect her.

Darn respect.

Sehun knew something was up with Sunmi and didn't believe a single word that Sunmi said about not being upset or angry with him. It was so obvious that she was angry or something, but he didn't know what. The EXO-K boys' actions were also very suspicious as they ed his every single chance to approach Sunmi. His once friends now turned into possessive brothers that guarded Sunmi's every move.

It was horrifyingly annoying that even Sehun felt like snapping. Just let him talk to the girl darn it.

Sehun tried to divert his attention from the emptiness in his heart with something else in his life. The something else ended up to be a very convenient girl that was always clinging onto his arm like a leech, an act that annoyed him to no end but he had to repeat to himself of his said affections for her.

"Sehun oppa~ Weren't you listening to me?" Jina waved her hand in front of Sehun's face and the latter blinked.

"Oh. Uhm." Sehun rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. Honesty was the best policy but in this case, Sehun feared for his own safety should he confess that he was actually thinking of Sunmi while with Jina. He would be dead meat.

"Oh oppa, as I was saying," Jina hugged his arm even tighter and continued yakking away non stop as Sehun tuned out with well trained skills he developed over a few days. Sehun had spent most of his time the past week with Jina, after Sunmi and his "break up."

It was...barely tolerable. Every minute he spend with Jina made him more and more aware of the differences between this Jina and the Jina back home. Every time he considered this, he never realized how he dragged Sunmi into the equation as well and he started comparing Sunmi with the Jina from his world.

His fake girlfriend against his real crush.

He also didn't realize how he would end up chuckling softly to himself as he concluded some things about Sunmi, reminiscing their laughter and fun times. That girl was just so straightforward and witty and just, well, cute. She was darn cute, even more than his Jina back in his world, he might add.

A slow blush graced his cheeks when he thought back to the time he kissed Sunmi rashly in the hallway. He hadn't quite understood his actions right that moment but he had a feeling that he might repeat the scene should it happen again. He just had something against other guys who saw Sunmi as a prospective date. Not that he couldn't see why, but no they weren't allowed to think that way. Period.

"Oppa, you're blushing!" Jina broke him away from his thoughts and poked his cheek. "You're so cute, Sehun oppa."

Sehun snapped his gaze up to her face and his blush instantly faded, the tingling feeling in his heart suddenly disappearing. "It's the heat." he muttered lamely, biting his lip.

"Sehun oppa, you're so different from the past you know." Jina commented, comparing him and the devil. "You were so cold back then but now you're just such a warm and nice person. I wonder if it's because of love...?" she fluttered her eyelashes at him, prompting him to say the words she wanted to hear.

Sehun looked away. If the Devil and him were such complete opposites, why didn't Jina suspect something was wrong? The change in personality was so strikingly obvious but this girl just thought she changed because of love? PUH-LEASE.

If that was the case, perhaps this girl never even knew the Devil much before. She never even knew the Devil's likes and dislikes and real personality, so she never recognized the difference when she got to know Sehun even more. So when she said she liked him, did she really? Did she like him, Oh Sehun, or the guy that was supposed to look like the soccer star Devil?

Sehun was momentarily distracted when two young children ran past them, hand in hand as they charged for the swings at the playground. Sehun's eyes followed them, a small smile lighting his lips. The young boy lifted the girl onto the swing and gave her a light push. The little girl was obviously unsatisfied with how little her swing moved and demanded that the boy pushed her with more strength.

"I don't want to, what if you fall?" the boy asked, pouting.

Sehun let out a soft chuckle. "Hey Jina remember the time when I pushed you on the swing so hard that you fell off? I didn't dare push you ever again." he remembered, smiling.

Jina looked at him strangely and blinked. "But I never played in the playground before. My mother said it was unhygenic." she murmured.

Sehun's face hardened and it was at that moment that the reality of things really really crashed in his mind. All along, he told himself that with the amount of affections he had for Lee Jina from his world, he wouldn't mind if he got a y Lee Jina clone from this world even if their personalities were completely different. He thought he loved her enough to not mind and be satisfied with a fake Jina.

It was right then that he realized that even if he did love Jina a lot, this Jina from this world wouldn't do. They had absolutely nothing in common and not even the memories he shared with the other Jina.

It striked him hard that this Jina wasn't his Jina. Something that he thought he could overlook but realized he couldn't.

Sehun shot up from his seat all of a sudden. "I want to go home." he blurted. To his surprise, the first image of home he thought of was the smiling laughing face of Sunmi instead of Jina. Not his large mansion, not his comfortable room. But Sunmi. If he was beside her, he was home.

Why was he here? He didn't even like this Jina, he could hardly tolerate her if not for the fact that she had the same face as his best friend. He was wasting precious time.

Jina didn't get to reply as Sehun grabbed his bag and ran away, speeding. She blinked and wrinkled her nose in annoyance. "What the ?"

 

 

 

Sehun found himself running towards Sunmi's house, his own feet bringing him to where his heart wanted him to be. On the way while running, he felt a whirl of emotions as he broke free from his own stubborn assumption of him being in love with Lee Jina. Both Lee Jina's in fact.

He considered his past reactions to his world's Jina when she hung out with her fiance, the guy who had supposedly stolen Jina from him when Jina didn't belong to him in the first place. He remembered feeling sad as the guy was able to get Jina's affections while he didn't, he felt angry that his best friend was taken away from him.

But did he ever feel like punching the guy's face to pulp? No.

Sehun reached Sunmi's house and he hid behind a tree when he saw that the girl in question was right out in her garden. His heart skipped a beat as he peeked out from behind the tree to look at her, longing washing his entire being. God, how he missed her.

Sunmi had no idea she was being spyed on and she continued being a dutiful daughter by helping her mother water the plants. She looked a little haggard with dark circles around her eyes and Sehun wondered what caused them. Loss of sleep of course, but what made her toss and turn in bed at night?

He had no idea it was him.

But even then, Sunmi still looked beautiful and the scene of her watering the plants was just picturesque. Maybe not to other people but it was to Sehun.

Watching as she touched the little flowers gently and sprinkled water on them carefully, Sehun felt the strange feeling rise up in him again. The urge to want to hold her, to get closer, to touch her, the urge was overwhelming. Sehun swallowed and unconsciously stepped out from behind the tree to get a closer look.

Was she well after their "break up"? Did she lose sleep because of it like how he did?

Sunmi spun around at that moment and met eyes with him. She gave a loud gasp and the watering can fell from her fingers, dropping onto the grass and spilling the water all over. She didn't seem to notice and Sehun caught a flash of panic in her brown eyes. Panic, why?

"Sehun, what are you doing here?" Sunmi asked curtly, fixing her expression and looking calm once more.

Sehun strode over to her and looked at her with him still outside the fence. "Can't I come and see you? Ever since our fake break up, we never talk anymore." he muttered. "Are you avoiding me or something?"

Sunmi looked away, unsure if her eyes would betray her. "I'm just busy." she fibbed. Busy dwelling on Sehun and Jina's relationship and her new-found feelings for Sehun. See? She wasn't exactly lying, even if she did all that by lying on her bed the entire day.

"I think you're lying." Sehun eyed her. "Can you be honest with me? Are you angry with me? I can't help thinking that you're angry with me for something and I don't know what."

Sunmi stared at the ground. Darn right she was angry. How dare he go on a date with Jina when he was supposed to be dating her at that time! She even had the courtesy to reject other suitors because she was dating him for show and he didn't even respect her.

"It's nothing." Sunmi chose to keep mum of her own feelings and she shrugged. "Nothing big."

"If that's the case," Sehun darted closer over to the fence such that his knees were leaning against the wood. "Will you agree if I say I want us to date again?"

Sunmi snapped her eyes to his face in surprise. "Excuse me?" she shrieked.

"I want us to date again. Fake date if you want." Sehun murmured. "I don't like how the end of our fake relationship means we can't talk to each other in school and can't stay friends. I miss you, I don't like the implications of the end of our relationship."

Sunmi felt tingles down her spine. Delicious tingles. How she wanted him to say those words without the word fake woven in the sentences. Didn't he know how she yearned for him to want her like how he wanted Jina?

"We can't, Sehun." she managed to croak out. "What if the Devil comes back and-"

"He isn't coming back is he?" Sehun pointed out. "And we haven't found the enchanted mirror yet. It seems I'll be staying for a good long while so why not-"

"Sehun." Sunmi cut him off, shaking her head in desperation. He couldn't give her hope like that when she knew it didn't exist. He didn't belong here. No matter how long he stayed, he had to go back someday.

"There's no point in a fake relationship anymore." she whispered. "Just let it be."

Sehun felt like his heart was broken into a million tiny pieces and he clenched his fists, taking a deep breath. Her words affected him a lot even if it made sense. Why go into a fake relationship? There aren't any convincing reasons anymore. The first time they started all this, the fangirls were largely unacceptable of him having a girlfriend. Now, they were fine and some were even quite nice to Sunmi. There weren't anyone gossiping about Sunmi anymore so she didn't need someone to back her up.

But he wanted to. He wanted to call her his girlfriend and he didn't care if it was fake if he could get an excuse to hold her hand when he wanted to.

"Sehun? What are you doing here?"

Sehun whirled around at the familiar voice and bile rose up his throat as his eyes fell on Suho who was striding towards them with his hands in his pockets. The hyung looked slightly uptight and his eyes darted to Sunmi in what seemed like worry.

"Just passing by." Sehun murmured. "What are you doing here hyung?"

Suho turned to look at Sunmi and she gave a sheepish nod. "I'll go change, I'll be done in five minutes." she promised and darted into her house. Suho shrugged and turned to look at Sehun with slight caution. Just passing by and decided to come visit Sunmi?

"I'm taking her to Myeongdong to-" Suho faltered for a bit and bit back his tongue to continue his original sentence of "find the second enchanted mirror." He survyed the guy in front of him and his expression hardened a bit. Sehun was from another world, no matter how much he liked Sehun as a younger brother, he had to go.

"I'm taking her to Myeongdong to shop and watch a movie." Suho lied for the first time in a long while and he felt guilty at the crestfallen expression on Sehun's face. A date, they were going on a "date."

"Oh." Sehun hung his head. "Then I won't disturb the two of you. I'll be going now hyung. Bye." he darted off before Suho could say a word and the elder watched him go with a small sigh. "Sorry for lying Sehun." he whispered.

Sehun turned the corner and leaned against the wall, his fists clenched tight. He took a deep breath and let it out again, shaky.

He wanted...he wanted to kill Suho. Hit his hyung senseless. Just scream and shout curse words and just vent out all his frustrations because, God, he wanted to be in Suho's shoes.

Sehun remembered Sunmi's crush on Suho and sadly wondered if she still liked him that way. His chest constricted at the thought.

"She can't still like him." he whispered. "She can't because...because I love her."

Finally, Sehun. Finally.