Protection

The Other Side of the Mirror

DOUBLE UPDATED: If you clicked this chapter first, kindly go back one chapter :)
 

 

"What?" Suho's eyes widened. "Sunmi broke up with you?"

The EXO-K boys were thoroughly shocked when Sehun suddenly appeared and bombed them with such a news. They never expected for the two to break up and in fact were quite used to their skinship, of how the two would hold hands and stuff.

"Why?" Chanyeol blurted in confusion. "Why all of a sudden?"

Sehun sighed and leaned against the wall, looking listless and defeated. "She said a lot of reasons but I don't think any are the real ones." he murmured softly. "She said she didn't need to be my pretend girlfriend for protection against my fangirls anymore. She said there wasn't any point in this fake relationship. She said she doesn't want to remain as the Devil's girlfriend if he suddenly comes back." he sulked.

Kai frowned and scratched his head. "Those are all true but...it does seem a little strange that it came out all of a sudden." he shrugged and patted Sehun's shoulder. "I don't think you should look so shaken by it. It's just a faux relationship anyway so ending it doesn't matter right? Maybe Sunmi found someone else she likes that's why she doesn't want to be held back by this relationship."

Sehun furrowed his brows and contempt. Another guy?

"Aww don't look like you're really dumped for real." Baekhyun grinned. "It was all an act wasn't it? It's good to end the lies, actually. Now you're a free man."

Sehun sighed and leaned against the wall, looking haggard. Maybe he didn't want to be free.

 

 

 

Sunmi stared at the notepad in front of her, blanking out completely. She had been sitting there for a whole hour and the only thing she wrote was her name and the date, her essay being entirely non-existent.

Mrs Kim popped her head through the door and blinked at her daughter. "Sunmi is the question really hard? Why don't you come out for some hot chocolate before you continue racking your brains for it?" she offered.

Sunmi snapped out of her daze and faked a smile. "It's really okay umma, I'll do without the drink. Thanks." she shook her head, trying to look as assuring as she could.

Mrs Kim eyed her daughter with slight worry. "If anything happened, you can tell umma you know that right?" she comforted. "Did anything happen between you and that Sehun boy you're seeing? You went out yesterday with the brownies and a large smile on your face but now..."

"It's really nothing, umma. Don't worry." Sunmi put on the brightest smile she could manage. "There's nothing wrong. Don't worry about me."

"If you say so." Mrs Kim obviously didn't believe her daughter but decided to give some space. She left, leaving Sunmi feeling terrible for making her mother worry about her. She decided to put away her books altogether because that essay was obviously not to be written in her current situation.

She went to her bed and curled up under her blankets, staring at the ceiling. Letting out a loud sigh, Sunmi bit her lip. "Eotteohke, Sunmi?" she whispered. "You've fallen in love with a guy from another world."

She hugged her pillow tightly as she considered how dire the situation was. "First of all, you're stupid enough to fall for a guy that already has two someones he likes. Lee Jina from there and here. What makes you think you can fight his childhood crush and all those years of affection?" she reprimanded herself.

Well Suho was your childhood crush too, her brain told her. And it appeared the feelings you had for him weren't as deep as you imagined either.

Shut up, she thought back to her scumbag brain.

"And not to mention, you had to go falling in love with Oh Sehun who came all the way from the other side of the mirror." Sunmi groaned, burying her face in her pillow. "How stupid is that? Even if he loves me back, which is highly unlikely, how can we make it work. It's like falling in love with a manga character who doesn't exist, this is just hopeless."

She whimpered softly and curled up her toes. "But I can't stop how I feel." she sniffled, cursing herself as she felt her cheeks getting wet. Her hands went up to wipe the tears but they kept coming. "I just love him and his stupid grins and mindless words. I just do and I don't know how to stop."

Sunmi closed her eyes and cried. "Sehun, eotteohke?"

-----

"Are you okay?" Suho surveyed Sunmi's face and frowned when he saw how red her eyes were. Crying, apparently.

Sunmi forced out a smile which he knew was far from genuine as she plopped herself on the couch, offering him a drink. She ignored his question entirely. "What are you doing here Suho? Don't you have council duties today?"

"Skipped them." Suho sat down beside her, gripping the cup tightly in his hands as he scrutinized her face. "Sunmi." he sighed. "You can tell me what's wrong. You can cry if you want to, I know you've been crying and there's no reason to hold it back around me. We've known each other since we were four."

Sunmi swallowed hard and stared at her feet. "Nothing's wrong." she squeaked.

"Oh yeah?" Suho sneered. "So why did you break up with Sehun?" he demanded. "Although I'm wholeheartedly for this, I know you're not. I think you shouldn't have gotten so close with Sehun in the first place but you already have. So what made you pull away, now?"

Sunmi didn't say anything. Suho sighed and raked his fingers through his hand, looking at her. "Sunmi, I want to help you. We all want to help you." he whispered. "You have to realize that if anything happens, we will always take your side instead of Sehun's. That's how much we love you, alright? So please, just talk to me?" he pleaded.

LIfting her gaze slowly to meet his, Sunmi suddenly felt the tears welling up in her eyes and soon she was sprouting everything with no restraint, crying like a mad woman. "I just don't know what to do now, Suho." she hiccuped, wiping her tears. "I was there that day, at his house, on Valentine's day. I baked these brownies and I waited for him for hours, I just didn't know he was with another girl." she whispered brokenly. "And when I saw Jina hug him, it was then that I recognized the feeling I felt. Jealousy. I...I realized that I love him, Suho. And he doesn't feel the same way."

Suho groaned softly and pulled Sunmi to his shoulder, patting her head comfortingly. "He's such a bastard." he frowned.

"No he isn't." Sunmi shook her head. "It's me who's being stupid. We don't have any commitments towards each other and the entire relationship is false. He can spend his day with whoever he wants to and it's just me being stupid to feel something about it." she bit her lip. 

"But you know what I'm most afraid of? I'm afraid of him suddenly finding an enchanted mirror and he manages to find his way back." she confessed. "And then I'll never see him again."

Suho closed his eyes as he felt her agony. Why were things so complicated? If Sehun was from this world....he would have supported this relationship till the end. He might even be a bigger fan than D.O. was.

Suho patted Sunmi on her shoulder.  "It's going to be okay. I understand why you broke up with him, it's self-defense." he murmured. "But you don't need to worry about that right now because all five of us boys will have your back."

Sunmi nodded and broke into another round of sobs as Suho continued lending her his shoulder. "And we'll be protecting you from harm, Sunmi. Even if the harm is in the form of Oh Sehun."

 

 

 

"Where's Sunmi?" Sehun looked around anxiously for the sight of his "ex-girlfriend" and saw no hint of her. In fact, she had been avoiding him lately since their "break up" which had spread like wildfire through the school which made it awkward for him to hang out with the EXO-K boys so he had to spend his time with Lee Jina. He really should be happy. But he wasn't.

If he didn't know better, Sehun might have thought Sunmi was avoiding him. But really, why would she? She said she wasn't angry, or maybe she said she was in no position to be, but didn't that mean the same thing? Confused.

Anyway, the EXO-K boys had seeked Sehun out that Saturday afternoon to continue with the quest to find the other enchanted mirror and Sehun had arrived extra early in hope of seeing Sunmi. His hopes were, however, dashed.

"She's not coming." Suho informed curtly. "We'll be finding the mirror, just the six of us. We have to find it soon." he muttered.

Suho, with Sunmi's permission, had finally told the rest of the EXO-K boys about Sunmi's feelings for Sehun and what really transpired. The boys were furious with Sehun of course, but there wasn't really anything to be angry about.

There were no promises, no commitments, nothing. Sehun had every right to act as he pleased.

But still, for the guy to hurt their little baby sister like that...brother issues made them dislike Sehun temporarily. The boys decided that the fastest way for everything to return to normal and for Sunmi to feel better is for everything to return to normal, literally.

They had to send Sehun back as soon as possible and for the Devil to come back. That way, Sunmi will forget about Sehun some way or another, catalyzed by the horrible behavior of the Devil which would spur her to forget this Sehun.

Great plan.

Except they had to find the darn mirror first before everything else which explained their little trip this afternoon. The boys were more active than before in finding another enchanted mirror because one day Sehun stayed in their world was one day Sunmi had to go around hurting while she saw Jina clinging onto Sehun's arm. They couldn't bear it.

The EXO-K boys were actually also part of the reason why Sehun saw so little of Sunmi that week. Whenever he tried to approach her while ignoring the scandalized whispers and glances thrown in his way as he approached his ex-girlfriend, at least one EXO-K boys would appear to the two.

Baekhyun would suddenly engage Sehun in an interesting conversation in plants and Chanyeol would whisk Sunmi off before Sehun realized it. The boys worked in perfect unison that Sehun had no way of getting closer to Sunmi without killing all five boys altogether.

The least active member out of them was D.O., as expected, because he had mixed feelings about his ship. He thought it was wonderful that Sunmi loved Sehun for real and he suspected that the guy might feel the same, and it tortured him that he couldn't do anything to help the two be together.

If the two ended up together, it would just cause more hurt in the future, as warned by Suho. D.O. couldn't bring himself to fool the innocent Sehun like the rest of the EXO-K boys as they fibbed flawlessly about how Sunmi was at her supposed guitar lessons, ballet lessons, piano lessons, literature creative writing classes, yada yada yada....

"Why isn't Sunmi coming?" Sehun deflated at once. "I haven't seen her much this entire week and I miss her." he pouted, not at all shy to admit what he just said.

Kai frowned. "You're in no position to miss her you bastar-" Baekhyun elbowed Kai and sent the dance machine a look. Kai made the most protective brother out of them and he would just murder Sehun for hurting Sunmi if he could get away with it. No wonder the other world's Kai was the kindest out of them.

"She's just busy." Suho muttered dismissively. "We'll split into pairs to look for the mirror. Look carefully okay? Try to find it as soon as possible. We have to send Sehun back."

Sehun didn't like how the boys were suddenly enthusiastic about sending him off. Didn't they realize they wouldn't be able to see him again? And what did Sunmi think about this?

If he were in her shoes, he wouldn't want her to return to her own world at all. Maybe if he found any mirrors he might even break them if he was selfish enough.

Sehun considered the possibility of finding the mirror, which he had lost most hope by then. If they really managed to find another enchanted mirror to send him home....

....would he go?

 

 

 

 

----

A/N: I'm so sorry for the super slow updates these days. School is crazy and my timetable this semester. On some days I have 8am to 8pm and I live 2 hours away from school T.T Throughout my holidays I've been going back to school everyday too, so I don't have time for writing.

I hope to finish these stories soon so hang in there guys!