A Lonely Valentines

The Other Side of the Mirror


Sehun slipped into his seat just seconds before the bell rang and looked exhausted and worn even though the school day only just begun. Sunmi glanced over at him and pursed her lips in concern.

"Are you okay?" she frowned. "You're really late today."

"The fangirls are scary." Sehun blurted honestly, making Sunmi chuckle in amusement. "I respect their feelings and all that but some of them just try to pounce at me like tigresses and trying to bind me down with marriage certificates. It's...traumatizing." he rubbed his temples.

Sunmi took a small breath. "Did you...accept any confessions?" she asked softly, trying to put on an expression that showed that she didn't care.

Sehun just shrugged. "Nope, I wouldn't want to get married this early either." he grinned. Sunmi broke into a smile and she turned to face the front as the teacher entered the classroom. She unconsciously reached for her bag to feel for the container and she let out a happy sigh.

Sehun lowered his gaze to the table and felt a little guilty. He hadn't exactly lied about accepting confessions, he just...accepted the gift from Jina. Which meant he accepted her heart.

Somehow he didn't want her knowing about it even if he was blunt about his obvious crush on Jina from the start. His hand went to his pocket as he felt the Pandora charmed bracelet, his eyes shifting. He glanced at Sunmi beside him and bit his lip, deep in thought.

His eyes travelled to Suho who was sitting beside Sunmi and he vaguely wondered if Sunmi got the guy anything special this year. He sighed softly and hardened his expression, turning back to face the whiteboard.

He really should get it in his head that the person he liked was Jina, not Sunmi. His mind was starting to think strange thoughts ever since the School dance. In fact, he had already begun behaving strangely when he kissed Sunmi for the second time on purpose.

Sehun shook his head and chanted in his mind. *I like Jina.*

 


Sunmi tapped her feet impatiently as she waited by her locker. The students were leaving one by one but Sehun was still nowhere to be found. She assumed they would be meeting up after school as usual together with the EXO-K boys but Sehun just didn't appear.

Sunmi had gone to the restroom when the last lesson ended and when she got back to the hallway, only five of the EXO- boys were waiting for her. They said that Sehun had rushed out of class immediately after she had gone and didn't have the chance to ask where he was going.

He didn't reply when they texted or called him either.

So the six of them waited by his locker. Waited and waited.

Chanyeol became bored quickly and Kai wondered out loud if Sehun had gone before all of them, abandoning them. Sunmi frowned and shook her head. He wouldn't have done that right? And not on Valentines day, they hadn't even had a chance to really hold a conversation yet.

They continued waiting a little while more with Sunmi's insistence but Sehun still didn't appear. D.O. finally decided that Sehun wasn't going to appear and the EXO-K boys went off to the eatery near their school for lunch. Sunmi insisted on staying back to wait for Sehun in case he appeared all of a sudden and promised to join the rest of the boys for lunch lest Sehun appeared.

She had been waiting at her locker for near forty five minutes now, alone, on Valentine's day. She called Sehun and texted him but he didn't reply any of her calls or messages. She didn't want to be clingy especially when she wasn't an official girlfriend, but she was getting worried.

People were walking out in pairs and some were shooting her sympathetic gazes as she stood there alone. Everyone knew that Oh Sehun was her boyfriend and when they saw her alone on Valentine's, everyone assumed they either got into a fight or that they broke up.

Sunmi didn't like how that made her feel even though none of that happened. Where in the world was Oh Sehun?

"Where are you?" she whispered to herself worriedly.

"He's still not here?"

Sunmi spun around and saw Suho striding towards her with a grim expression and his hands tucked in his pockets. He sighed and looked around, raising his brows. "You're still waiting? Sehun most definitely doesn't seem to be coming."

Sunmi bit her lip and shuffled uneasily. "Well maybe he's just occupied with something.."

"Don't waste your time, Sunmi. Let's just go, Sehun isn't coming." Suho tugged on her wrist, shaking his head. Sunmi didn't budge and Suho looked back at her with raised brows, until Sunmi finally moved her feet to follow him.

She twisted her lip and dragged her feet to prolong the time it took to leave the place. Suho glanced at her with furrowed brows, scanning her face skeptically. He eyed her concerned expression and he grew more and more worried. Taking a deep breath, Suho tried to relax his features as he forced a smile in Sunmi's direction.

"So, did you get your fake boyfriend anything special for today?" Suho tried to joke, but in fact he was trying to fish for information. "Did you get him chocolate like the rest of us?" He hoped with all his heart that she would say yes, because gosh Sunmi didn't you know you couldn't go falling for a guy that didn't belong?

Sunmi bit her lip and a light flush covered her cheeks, much to Suho's alarm. "Well actually, I made him brownies." she fished out a cute container and opened the lid. Suho was surprised at how good the brownies smelled and looked seeing how Sunmi's "culinary skills" were well-known amongst the EXO-K boys. "I spent the entire week at Kyungsoo's house learning to make this." she smiled softly.

Suho wanted to strangle the umma of the group. Didn't that guy know when to stop when fantasizing about his freaking ship? This ship couldn't sail, he knew that. He sighed and looked at those mouth-watering brownies which Sehun missed eating. "You must have spent a lot of effort on them." he murmured knowingly. "Is this all for a show? You're making this for him because you're Sehun's pretend girlfriend aren't you?" he asked, wishing for her to say yes.

"Hmm, even if I'm not fake dating Sehun, I'll make these for him." Sunmi shrugged. "He likes brownies doesn't he. I wonder if he'll like these." she whispered softly to herself.

Suho's face was stiff and he had to force himself not to look too panicky. , Sunmi seemed to be falling to dangerous regions. In fact, she seemed to have already fallen. This simply wouldn't do!

"Well the best Valentine's gift we can give him is the enchanted mirror to send him home." Suho purposely muttered, sensing Sunmi's gaze snapping to him at once. Sorry, he thought. "After all, he doesn't belong here. He has to go someday."

Sunmi took several moments to respond, her voice coming out as a soft whisper. "Yeah. Yeah I guess he does."

 

 

 

The thing about love was that it caused all your brain cells to malfunctioned, it causes one to turn absurdly stupid and brainless and just losing all common sense.

Even knowing that Sehun belonged to another world and that she should really stop this little growing crush she had on him (well perhaps it was a crush, she didn't want to think too much about it), Sunmi didn't think it was time to pull the brakes. Or perhaps there were no brakes to pull.

Either way, she still found herself standing outside Sehun's house, waiting for him to return home while she stood there with the box of brownies, patiently waiting.

Sunmi shuffled around and kept glancing at her watch, biting her lip. Where could Sehun have gone? He usually didn't disappear like this and when she texted him, he would reply almost immediately. More often than not, it was him who would bombard her phone with messages but she hadn't received a single one from him all afternoon.

Sunmi sighed softly stretched. It was nearing 8pm now and she was hungry and tired. Her parents assumed she was out on a hot date with Sehun and she wished it was true.

Her eyes snapped opened and she flicked herself on the forehead. Why would she want it to be true? Humphs. That guy already had Lee Jina in his heart.

But still, she already made these brownies for him...

Sunmi whipped out her phone and called him again, going straight to voicemail. She sighed miserably and slumped against the wall outside his large mansion. Perhaps she should just go home, Sehun would have called if he needed help or anything. Perhaps he was just...busy with someone else.

On Valentine's Day.

The thought made Sunmi cringe and she shook her head, forcing a smile. Nah he wouldn't do that to her. Even if he didn't like her in that way, he would still respect how they were having a fake relationship with each other. Going out on a date with another girl while he was fake dating Sunmi was pure unSehun.

Sunmi pushed herself off the wall and started walking to the bus stop. She stopped every few steps and turned back to look at the large mansion, letting out a little sigh. She didn't know why she was so bothered about it, but heck, she was.

Sunmi took the bus to the bus interchange where she was supposed to ride another bus back home. She trudged slowly, her steps heavy as she looked around her at the people who didn't seem to go in groups more or less than a pair. Everyone seemed to be on a date and she was the only sad soul that was alone.

Sunmi twisted her lip, feeling exceptionally lonely all of a sudden. Strangely, she wanted Sehun to be by her side right then instead of Suho popping into her mind. She smiled to herself. It seemed she really got over the crush for Suho, and this thing for Sehun....she would rack her brains about it later. After she ascertained where that guy had been the entire day. Humphs.

It wasn't until one particular couple caught her eye that Sunmi stopped walking in her tracks, her eyes widening as her jaw dropped. She rubbed her eyes several times and blinked hard, only to realize that the scene was real and not part of her imagination.

And there Sehun was, walking Jina to her bus queue as she hugged his arm like she belonged there. They looked like the absolute perfect couple: A hot guy and a hot girl.

Sehun was smiling and Jina looked too pleased to be true. Sunmi hid behind a pillar as she watched them from afar, wondering why her chest felt so constricted that she could hardly breathe. Jina's bus rolled into the stop and Sunmi swallowed hard, blinking tears away as she watched Jina tip toe and press a kiss to Sehun's cheeks.

So he was with her the entire day. He chose to spend this special day with Jina, not her.

Her heart fell as Sehun hesitated for a few moments before hugging Jina back. Jina kissed his cheek once more before hopping on her bus. Sehun chucked his hands into his pockets and he smiled, waving one hand.

Sunmi hid herself quickly behind the pillar when Sehun turned his head, and she slammed her hand on to contain the rising sobs. Where were these tears coming from seriously, she thought as she wiped her cheeks furiously. Why should she even care?

But the fact was, she did.