Rides

The Other Side of the Mirror

"Any signs of the darn mirror?" Kai asked, raking his fingers through his hair frustratedly. He sighed when he saw the boys shake their heads. "Darn. I must have looked really erted going into stores and inspecting every mirror like a vain pok."
 
"You are one." D.O. sang innocently.
 
"So now what?" Baekhyun asked. "We've combed through all the shops and found no enchanted mirror. And it's lunch time." he noted, wriggling his brows meaningfully.
 
"Got the hint." Chanyeol grinned. "Let's go for lunch!" he suggested, rubbing his palms together. "Me is hungry too."
 
The boys all looked over at their leader and Suho relented with a smile. "I guess if the mirror isn't here, we can have our share of fun since we came all the way. Anyone up for ramen?"
 
----
 
"Hey Sehun, just wondering," Kai grinned slyly. "Over at the other world do you have bands and groups like SNSD?"
 
Baekhyun's head immediately snapped up in attention.
 
Sehun scratched his head. "Hmmm no." He shook his head. "We have celebrities as well,  but I haven't seen any of the celebrities I've seen over here. Maybe they're just commoners over there because they're supposed to be bad at singing and acting then."
 
D.O. nodded in understanding and elbowed Baekhyun playfully. "Aww you'd suffer if you lived there."
 
Baekhyun turned red and scowled at the umma of the group. "Shut up." But he couldn't help agree with his words. What? A world with no SNSD??? Thank goodness he wasn't born there.
 
"This side of the world sounds so much better." Chanyeol commented. "I mean the most important reason being: I'm here." He grinned.
 
Everyone rolled their eyes, including Sehun. Sunmi looked over at Sehun in confusion. "If you didn't have the regular celebrities like SHINee back there, then how did you know about Onew's ttakbam?"
 
Sehun grinned sheepishly. "Lets just say I got a little bored alone at home with my tv."
 
"I'm bored right now too." Kai stretched. "Now that we finished eating, what should we do since we're here in Insadong?" He looked around. "Don't anyone dare say shopping because I've had enough of going into shops and looking for mirrors."
 
"I hear there's a nice indoor theme park in the mall right there." Suho pointed. He looked back at the boys. "Ready for the rides?"
 
"YES!" They chorused, brightening at the thought.
 
Sehun blinked, swallowing hard and paling. He looked at Sunmi beside him and noted how she looked equally pale. "I suppose you're not keen on that?"
 
"Not any lesser than you are." Sunmi took in his expression as well. The EXO-K boys were already racing far ahead and pairing off to see who was suppose to sit with who on the rides.
 
Suho stopped and looked back at them two. "Come on! Lets go!"
 
Sunmi forced a smile on her face and rushed to catch up, pulling Sehun with her. "We'll do fine." She whispered.
 
-----
 
Maybe not.
 
Because as the two stood in the mall and saw the indoor rolled coaster swirl about on top of their heads, they suddenly felt really faint.
 
And it didn't help that the people were screaming their heads off every time the roller coasters passed.
 
"I can't do this." Sunmi squeaked, taking a step back. Sehun followed her, looking equally pale. "I can't either." He admitted.
 
Suho was already pulling out his wallet to pay for all of their rides when he noticed the two cowering away. His eyes rounded and he mentally smacked himself. "Hey guys we forgot Sunmi doesn't like these things. Maybe we shouldn't go on these after all."
 
Kai groaned loudly. "Awww why???" He looked longingly at the roller coaster.
 
Sunmi forced a smile. "You guys can go have your fun. I'll stay here safe and sound on hard ground and wait for you guys."
 
"But.." Suho frowned, not really assured in leaving her alone in a place they weren't familiar with. "It's okay I'll be with her!" Sehun immediately squeaked. "We'll stay on safe hard ground."
 
"Problem solved so get the tickets quick, hyung!" Baekhyun gripped the railings and hopped up and down excitedly.
 
Suho frowned unsurely. "You sure you'll be okay?" He looked at Sunmi, hesitating. "Maybe I shouldn't go on the rides-"
 
"It's really okay Suho." Sunmi assured as best as she could. She didn't want him sacrificing for her, especially when she thought it was cute when he looked excited for it. "I'll be fine. Sehun's with me, right?"
 
Suho nodded after a while and patted her head. "You two don't wonder too far."
 
Sunmi sighed softly as she waved and watched the boys go off. If only she wasn't such a coward, she could participate in these things with Suho.
 
She turned around slowly to look at Sehun to ask what he wanted to do, when she noticed him watching her intently. Her cheeks flamed and she shifted self-consciously. "What?"
 
Sehun shrugged. "Nothing. Just you're really good to Suho."
 
Sunmi's cheeks reddened even more and she cleared , looking away to hide her face. "I'm good to everyone."
 
Sehun bit his lip and followed her. "I guess." He shrugged. He shoved his hands into his pockets and looked around them. The mall was vibrant with shoppers and kids but Sehun wanted to keep away from anything vaguely related to shopping. He kind of agreed with Kai.
 
"What should we do now?" He sulked. "I'm boreeeed. We came all the way here and we couldn't even find the mirror."
 
Sunmi glanced at his crestfallen expression. "I'm sure we'll find it soon. You're not surviving that badly in our world aren't you? I mean, you met me." She pointed to herself.
 
Sehun wrinkled his nose and flicked her forehead. "That wasn't very convincing." They strolled along the fake "streets" that were built in the door to create a fantasy feel for the place.
 
Sehun stopped her when they walked past a stall selling cotton candy and he paid for an extra large pink one which they shared. "I like cotton candy." Sehun grinned, plucking some and putting it into his mouth, humming in approval as it melted.
 
Sunmi laughed as she ate some as well. "You're such a baby. Ice creams and now this." She shook her head. "You're really different from the Devil."
 
"Hn, that's a good thing. The Devil may be popular and stuff but look at how his friends desert him in times of need. I think he's a very unhappy guy underneath. But I'm not much better. I have no friends and I'm in love with the only friend I have and she just doesn't like me back." Sehun shrugged nonchalantly.
 
They reached the indoor river that ran across the mall and saw a single boat paddling leisurely down the stream by one of the rowers. A couple was having a romantic date on the boat as they sat through a tunnel.
 
It was one of those things that was very obviously made to attract stupid tourists because what view did you want to see in an indoor mimic of a fantasy world? But tourists fell for it anyway.
 
And maybe Sehun.
 
"Hey! Lets sit on that!" Sehun grabbed Sunmi's wrist and pulled her along excitedly. Sunmi blinked in surprise and stumbled behind him, trying hard to catch up.
 
She glanced at his carefree eager expression and bit her lip. How could he remain so happy and joyous all the time even when his life didn't seem to go smoothly? He had no family, no friends. The one he loved didn't feel the same. He was an outcast.
 
But here he was, smiling happily like he wasn't trapped in another world, and getting excited by a childish indoor ride.
 
Oh Sehun was really something.
 
Sehun bounced up and down impatiently as he waited for the boat to dock and for the passengers to alight so that they could board. He paid for their ride and dragged Sunmi onto the boat with him.
 
Sunmi sat down comfortably and Sehun plopped down beside her, looking excited like a kid. The rower smiled at them. "Sit tight and enjoy the ride."
 
"We will!" Sehun beamed, clapping his hands. Sunmi shook her head and laughed in amusement. Oh Sehun...
 
The boat ride continued on as the fake river winded around a few shops. Sunmi let out a small contented sigh as she looked around her. "It's been ages since I visited an indoor theme park or anything of the likes. The last time I sat in a boat ride like this was when I was five." She remembered.
 
Sehun grinned at her. "I never sat on this before. My butler was afraid i would drop into the river." He grinned sheepishly. "My parents were long gone to bring me on such trips."
 
Sunmi watched Sehun's face and noticed how he never looked sad when he mentioned it. "Don't you...feel the pity?" She whispered.
 
Sehun's gaze settled on her and he shrugged. "There are people worst off than me so who am I to complain? Even if my parents are gone, they'll always be living in my heart. I'm sure they don't want me to sob and cry every time I think about them. That's why I always smile when they're mentioned." He beamed.
 
Sunmi smiled softly back. There was more to this happy whiny boy than she originally thought. He was so much stronger than she imagined.
 
Sehun grinned and flicked her forehead again. "Aww getting touched, are we?" He teased.
 
"Geez can't you not ruin it?" Sunmi made a face and rubbed her head, huffing. She looked at the scenes around her and sighed softly. "Well I'll just say this once. I do think you're strong. There's so many tough happenings in your life and you're still battling them. If it were me..." Sunmi casted her eyes downwards. "If the guy I liked told me he didn't like me back or he liked someone else...I think I wouldn't be able to handle it." She admitted.
 
Sehun looked at her curiously. "Why? Do you have someone you like?" He leaned in interest. "Tell me!!!"
 
Sunmi shied away, embarrassed. "I don't alright? I wouldn't tell you if I had either." She cleared .
 
"Hey not fair! You already know I like Jina why can't you tell me who you like too?" Sehun whined, pouting. "That's so unfair!"
 
"Reality is unfair." Sunmi stuck her tongue out playfully. "It's not my fault you're so obvious around Jina. And who said I liked anyone? I don't!" She denied insistently.
 
"Ayye there's obviously someone, I want to know. Tell me." Sehun dipped in his hand in the water and flicked some at her. Sunmi dodged as squealed. "Do you know how dirty this water is? Why if I get pimples???"
 
"I'll pay for your facial." Sehun laughed and attacked her with more water. "Tell me. Who is i-i-ittttt??"
 
"No one!" Sunmi laughed and sprayed water back at him.
 
She hadn't laughed this much in a while.