;II.

To Daddy, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He’s never encountered such despair in his life before. Well, maybe he did, but it certainly hasn’t had such an effect on him. Also he’s never fought so much to get into an ambulance and never struggled to keep an air mask out of his face. Never before had he felt like punching the doctors and nurses,for taking her away from his sight.

“Mr. Kim?” A nurse asks him with worry, keeping a safe distance.

Jongin’s head snaps up, and he jumps off the plastic chair, anticipating any news regarding Park Taehee. It’s been almost an hour since the arrival to the hospital, since he’s been pushed away from her and since his lungs were disinfected.

But what about her? And the baby?

“How is she?” He asks restlessly, walking towards the nurse.

She gulps with fear then motions him to follow her. Jongin swore to the guardians that he’ll be peaceful from then on.

Walking in the small hospital room, the man scrunches his nose. The sterilizer’s scent makes his stomach clench. The white of the walls is sickly, the bed small, and her figure thin and weakened. She also has a mask covering and nose, all sorts of wires connecting her skin to the machines.

“How is she?” Jongin finds himself asking with a lump in his throat.

The nurse checks the files. “She’s safe, thank God! And the fetus is safe as well. It was a miracle because the first stages of pregnancy are the most unpredictable. She could lose the baby any time.”

Jongin hears only half of the words. All he can focus on is the sickly sight before his eyes, Taehee's pale and tired complection.

“Would you please inform the father to stop by? Emotional support is essential right now...” She stops for a moment, looking up to him. “Or perhaps… Are you the father?”

Jongin’s eyes widen, and he looks down at the nurse surprised. Has she noticed? Is he the other parent? His heart is drumming in his chest, and the lump hurts him greatly. Something stings his lungs, as if his air were all pressed out.

“No.” He denies it despite every tissue of his body fighting against it. “I am not the father.”

The nurse cannot even react, because the stirring from the bed grabs both of their attention. The nurse hurries to Taehee’s bed, taking off her mask. The woman’s eyes are still in a daze. When she finds her focus, she realizes she’s in a strange place – a hospital room – with a nurse and Jongin hovering over her.

“Ms. Park, how are you feeling?” The nurse asks gently, as she helps Taehee get up in a sitting position.

Her head still spins around while she feels so weak and confused. The last thing she remembers is working on some papers in her office, when the smoke filled everything and –

She whips her head around, an action which adds to her head to ache. She abruptly looks at the other woman in worry.

“My baby!” Taehee croaks, suddenly terrified at the possible loss.

It hasn’t even been so long since finding out the truth, but she’s already so protective. So this is how it feels being a mother, she thinks to herself. Unless…

“You are both safe and sound.” The nurse reassures her while patting her shoulder.

Taehee sighs out in relief, leaning back against the tower of pillows which was provided by the nurse. The little one is safe. But, she can barely have a moment’s worth of peace.  Abruptly her eyes open again, widening at the woman’s question.

“What about the baby’s father? Would you like to contact him?”

Taehee’s eyes lock with Jongin’s. He shudders. The hurt he reads in them is so painful… She’s breaking in pieces right in front of him.

She opens trying to say something, but she shakes too much to speak. She’s been ignored.

“Oh, right. He is the one who saved you, Mr. Kim Jongin.” The nurse turns to him. “Do you happen to know the father?”

Another question meant to bring more hurt. He reads one last trace of hope flash in Taehee’s eyes, and maybe she’s hoping he’d say something positive.

“I don’t know him.” Everything shatters, starting with Taehee’s world. “I’ll be leaving then. Goodbye.”

His steps echo in his ears, and his guilt begins to eat him up. He has no balls for not admitting it. How can he be called

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter