Family Reunion

Memoirs of a Vampire

Chapter 15 – Family reunion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was ten in the morning and I continue to sleep soundly in my bed. I was awoken by the sound of the doorbell ringing.

When I opened my eyes, the stinging luminous sunlight, which entered from my window, greeted me. As I slowly aroused from my bed, a second doorbell rang. My feet the cold wooden ground, searching for my sleepers. When I finally located them, I made my way towards the living room. As I passed through the living room, a third doorbell rang making me feel really irritated.

“I’m coming!” I called out. I scurried over the front door. When I opened the door, my eyes lit up when I saw who it was.

“Ryoko…… (Shinohara Ryoko)” She ran over to me and gave me a huge warm hug.

“Otousan….” She whispered back. Tears flowed out of both of our eyes. It has been five years since we last saw each other. I feel very relieve to see her.

After we broke our embrace, I cupped her face with my hands and I wiped her tears away with my thumb. “Osashiburi da ne? (It’s been a long time, huh?)” She nodded her head in agreement. “How have you been? How’s you’re husband and your daughter?”

“They’re doing fine. Yuri is in third grade now.” I smiled after hearing that. I can only imagine how big Yuri is now. Time passes really quickly for humans.

“Where’s your brother? Is he with you?” She nodded her head ‘yes.’

“He’s downstairs parking the car.” She glanced back outside and saw her brother coming. “Ah, he’s here.” He appeared right behind her.

“Otousan……” Without waiting another second, I ran over to my son and hugged him.

“Shinyang (Park Shin Yang)” I patted him at the back while he hugged me back. After what seemed like a long embrace, we broke off our hug and I invited the two of them inside the apartment.

As Ryoko scanned the place I could see a disappointed expression on her face. Shinyang on the other hand just sat there staring at the floor and playing with his tie.

“Sorry the place is a mess. I hadn’t had much time to clean lately.” I said as I took out two mugs from the cupboard and turning on the coffee maker.

“Since when did you and mom moved into an apartment?” Ryoko asked curiously.

“Erm, since about five years ago, few months after you visited us. We decided to move because we feel like a house is too big for just the two of us. It was your mom’s idea anyway.” I poured coffee into the mugs and brought it to the living room. I handed each of them a mug. “So…… have you two visited your mom’s grave yet?” I sat on the armchair next to Ryoko.

“Yea, we visited before we came here. By the way, we’re sorry for not being able to come to mom’s funeral.”

I shook my head lightly. “It’s alright. I know you two are busy, especially you Shinyang.” He immediately jerked his head up when he heard me call his name. “How’s the hotel business coming along? I heard you were promoted to manager.”

“Oh, umm……it’s doing fine. Yea, I was promoted last year.” I watched him take a sip out of his mug.

“Souka (I see). How long are you two planning on staying here?”

“About a couple of days," Ryoko answered "but if you need us to stay here longer, we could stay.”

“Oh, no it’s alright. I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure? I could stay longer if you want. It’s not like I need to get back to New York right away.” I gave her a reassuring smile, and with that she understood and dropped off the topic.

Throughout the rest of the day, the three of us just talked, well more like the two of us. Shinyang remained quiet the whole time. I wonder why?

The three of us went out for dinner, at a Shabu Shabu restaurant. Then after that, they dropped me off at my apartment before heading back to their hotel.

======================

The next day, I took the two of them on a tour around Tokyo. It’s been nine years since they’ve been here. All this time, Maki and I have been the ones visiting them in New York and they've been the ones that's been giving us tours. It’s refreshing to be the one leading the way for once.

I showed them around the stores in Shibuya, and I toured them around the Ebisu Garden Place. Lastly, I took them to Japan’s infamous Tokyo Tower.

“Waah! I missed this place!” Ryoko exclaimed. I watched her elated face as she observe the beautiful scenery outside the tower. I glanced at Shinyang who was standing a few feet behind her. I’ve noticed that he had been keeping a lot to himself lately. I’ve also noticed him spacing a few times during our conversations. I made my way to where he was. He turned his gaze towards me when he noticed me approaching him.

“What’s up? Are you having fun?” I asked him in a casual tone.

“Yea, I’m enjoying myself.” he said nonchalantly. I could tell something was bothering him. I don’t understand why he doesn’t want to tell me though.

“Is something bothering you?” His gaze shot up towards me.

“Nothing’s bothering me.” he said turning his gaze away from me.

“Are you sure? You look really pale.” Even more paler than me. I wonder if he’s thinking about his mother's death.

For the rest of the day, we didn’t talk much to each other. He kept his distance from us, and we both noticed it.

I dropped the two of them off at the hotel they were staying at before I headed home. When I arrived at my apartment, I went straight to the bedroom. I sat on the bedside and took Maki’s picture.

‘Maki, I think Shinyang misses you. He won’t tell me about it. Yobo, dou suru? (What should I do, dear?)

======================

[Two days later…..]

‘ring, ring, ring’ I waited for Ryoko to answer her cell phone.

“Hello?” I heard her say.

“Oh, Ryoko. Do you know where your brother is? He’s not answering his phone.”

“He left early this morning. He said he’s going to visit someone.” Someone? Does he know anyone else here in Japan other than me? Hmm…..

“Ah, I see. Thanks! Are you still packing?” I could here some shuffling of bags on the other line.

“Yea, I forgot to pack last night so I still have a lot to pack.”

“Souka (I see). I’ll pick you up later then, ok?”

“Ok. See you later.” I hung up and headed towards my car. I the engine and began driving. I think I know where he might have gone to.

When I reached my destination I walked up the steps and followed the gravel path. From afar I spotted someone standing in front of Maki’s grave. ‘I knew he would come here.”

“Shinyang,” I called his name softly. When he turned around, his eyes widen, surprise to see me there.

“Otousan……how did you know I was here?” He asked me curiously.

“A father’s instinct.” He smiled and I walked over next to him. “This has been bothering you the whole time hasn’t it?” He nodded his head lightly.

We became quiet for while. After a long silent moment, he spoke first. “I miss her,” He finally admitted. “I miss her so badly.” I could hear his voice becoming shaky. He covered his eyes with his hand, trying to stop himself from crying. I gently wrapped my arms around him. He buried his face on my shoulder while I patted him on the back, comforting him.

“I miss her too son. I miss her too.”

For the first time since he arrived here in Japan, he finally showed his true feelings. All this time he had been bottling up all of his emotions. He was afraid, but he didn’t want anyone to know. We, men, are always like this. We’re always showing our tough side even though inside were really wavering. I know because within these past few days I have been like that. I've been saying and pretending to be fine even though I’m not. But I’m glad, I'm glad that he could finally feel relieve and show his true emotions.

In the afternoon, I escorted the two of them to the airport. We gave each other hugs and we all said our goodbyes. Seeing the two of them and spending time with them again made me feel at ease. I'm happy to know that they weren't too bothered by their mother's death. I'm glad they could move on peacefully. But I wonder………..

……….when will I ever truly move on?

……….will I ever forget you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. ^^

Btw, Shinohara Ryoko is a jap actress from Haken no Hinkaku and Park Shin Yang is a Korean actor from Lovers in Paris and Money’s Warfare. they will be playing Maki and Jaejoong's children! Btw, Ryoko and Shinyang's real age now are they're age in the story as well. So you can tell they didn't inherit jaejoong's vampire ability to stay young forever. :)

Comments would be very much appreciated! Pls stay tune for chapter 16!!! =D

Chapter 16: Hmm….I’m not sure what the title is yet, but I'm basically going to talk about what happened to Jaejoong after he left Maki and how they get reunited again. ^^

(10/9/09)