My Reflection

Memoirs of a Vampire

Chapter 14 – My reflection

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes shot open and an orange shade of light blinded my eyes. I breathe heavily as I adjusted my eyes to my surrounding. ‘Where am I?’ I could feel cold sweats on my forehead. I feel like I just woke up from a horrible nightmare. ‘What an odd dream.’ I looked around and I noticed that I’m still at the cemetery.

‘What time is it?’ I thought. I checked my watched and it read, ‘5:44.’ I can’t believe I stayed here so late.

When I tried to stand up, a striking pain hit both my legs. ‘Itte! (ouch!)’ I reached down at my leg and I began rubbing it for comfort. ‘Argh, now it feels numb.’ I brushed off the grass and the dirt that got on my black dress pants. While I was cleaning myself, a familiar voice called my name.

“Jaejoong.” I turned around, and as I expected it was Eunhyuk, with Meisa beside him.

“Oh. What are two doing here?” I asked them even though I already knew their answer.

“We were worried about you.” He said.

“What are you still doing here anyway?” Meisa retorted back. I smiled weakly and so did they. “Come on Jaejoong. You should really get some rest.”

“Yea, you’ve been here since this morning.” Eunhyuk added.

“Ok, ok. I’ll head home soon. Ok mom? Ok dad?” I said jokingly.

“That’s our good boy.” Eunhyuk said as he came and patted me on the head like a little kid. “I guess we’ll be heading out first.” I nodded my head in response. “Jaejoong.” I looked up at him. “Really, get some rest, ok?” I nodded my head again earnestly. And with that, I watched their backs disappear into thin air.

*sigh* I should really head home. It’s already 5:55.

“Maki……..I’m going to head home now, ok? I’ll see you tomorrow.” I blew a flying kiss towards Maki’s grave before heading off.

======================

When I got home I headed straight to the couch and I the tv. I took the remote and I began flipping the channels. After flipping channels for a while, I decided to check HBO to see if there was a new movie airing tonight. When I flipped to HBO a movie called Twilight was playing. It was a about a vampire who fell in love with a human being. ‘Doesn’t that sound familiar?’ I thought to myself. I decided to keep the channel and continue to watch the remainder of the movie.

Towards the end of the film, a very familiar scene suddenly appeared. The guy bit her girlfriend on the neck and he began her blood in order to save her. Memories from back then began sweeping back into my head.

That time at her school when I bit her came rushing through my mind. I began thinking about that time, and how reckless I’ve been for allowing myself to transform into that monster in front of her. How could I let something so dangerous happen to her? I didn’t want her know about that part of me. I didn’t want her to know because I didn’t want her to leave me. Although I knew she wasn’t that kind of person, something inside me kept me from telling her. Something inside me didn’t want her to know. Just her. I didn’t want her to know about the beast living inside of me. The beast that hurt her and deceived her.

After the movie I headed on to bed. At first I had trouble sleeping. I kept on fidgeting under the sheets. Somehow the bed felt so big and empty. I feel so alone. I turned my head towards the side Maki used to sleep in. I traced my hand over it and a frown formed on my face. I wish I could wrap my arms around her waist once more, just like I did whenever she’s asleep. I wish I could smell the sweet scent of her hair. I wish I could feel her heat, the heat the warmed my cold body. As I thought about these things, I slowly fell asleep.

As I slept, I dreamt about that night again, at school.

[Flashback]

When I opened my eyes I could hear faint sounds of sirens near by. I stood up and looked around my surroundings. Where am I? I thought.

“Oh, you’re awake.” I turned around and I found Eunhyuk standing behind me.

“Eunhyuk what happened?” I asked him clueless about what just happened.

“You mean you don’t remember what happened at school?” I looked at him with a confused expression. Then he told me all about what happened; about Junsu and his gang attacking us, and about what I did to Maki. I stood there shocked at what I just heard. I-I-I I bi-bi-bit MAKI!?!?

Suddenly from behind me, Meisa appeared. “Oh, Jaejoong.” She said nervously.

I turned around and I looked at her with a surprised expression. "Wh--what are you doing here?" I asked her nervously.

"Actually, Jaejoong.....I'm a vampire." My mouth flew open in shock. She's a vampire!?

"You're a vampire!?!?!" She nodded her head lightly. "What!?" I've known her for a long time now and I thought I knew her. I'm such a fool. *sigh*

“So is it true, that I bit her?” Meisa didn’t respond, which only meant that I did bit Maki. "So....did she turn into...into a vampire?"

"Umm, surprisingly she didn't." I let out a huge sigh in relief upon hearing what Eunhyuk just said. "But she did lose a lot of blood." He added.

"I wonder why she didn't turn into a vampire?" Meisa wondered. "I guess you're venom wasn't as strong as I thought it would be." She said half serious and half joking. I nodded along with the two them and I remained silent. 'I think I know the reason why, but these two doesn't need to know about it.'

“How did you two know where we were?” I asked them curiously. I don’t think it was a coincidence for them to just suddenly appear there at the right time.

“Erm…..we’ve been following you around lately.” He said embarrassedly.

“Why?”

“Because we……” He stopped and it looks like he didn’t want to continue, well more like he couldn’t.

“We were hired by your father.” Meisa blurted out. I turned my gaze towards her confuse by her sudden confession.

“What? My father? Why would he—”

“He was worried about leaving you all alone here on Earth. He thought you might not survive without anyone’s help, so he ordered us to protect you.” My mouth hung open as I heard all of the details. I shook my head in disbelief. “We thought you could handle it by yourself, but then suddenly we noticed ‘others’ following you around.” Junsu…..I thought. “So we kept an even closer eye on you.” The two of them looked at me, waiting for my response but I remained quiet.

I can’t believe these two fooled me. And I thought I could trust them.

“I know it’s very shocking to you but—” Before she could finish, I ran off and leaving the two of them in the dark.

I made my way towards the school and I began looking around for her. There was an ambulance and two police cars inside the school yard. When I got into the entrance of the school, I saw Yamapi holding the still unconscious Maki in his arms. I slowly made my way towards him. He noticed my presence immediately. He looked up at me his fierce and angry eyes greeted me. He gently put Maki’s head down the pillow of the stretcher and he hastily walked towards my direction.

“YOU BASTARD!!” He punched me in the face breaking my nose and sending me to the ground. He grabbed my collar and he began beating the hell out of me. If the cops nearby hadn’t stop him, my whole face would have been seriously injured.

The cops let go of him as soon as he was calm. He sat back down and he covered his face with his hands and he began crying. ‘He must have been so worried about her.’ I thought.

“I’m sorry.” I suddenly said. He didn’t look up, instead he ignored me and he tended to Maki. “Look, I—” Before I could say anything or explain anything to him he cut me off.

“I don’t care about your excuse.” He said coldly. “You promised me you wouldn’t hurt her. And you…….you son of a .” His harsh words hit me hard, but I kept quiet. “You know I’ve been following you two around, whenever you guys would go out on a date late at night. And you know what? I also knew about you not being a human.” I looked up at him surprise at what he just said. “I see you jumping off and running off, disappearing from places to places. I knew you weren’t normal. But I didn’t think you’d be a vampire though.”

I can’t believe he knew everything about me. How clueless could I get?

“Please leave.” I heard him say. “Please…….just leave her alone. Leave US alone.” I couldn’t utter a word. I wanted to say something and oppose him, but I couldn’t. I know enough that I’ve caused too much trouble to her already. I even hurt her.

“Fine.” I said softly. “I’ll leave. But can I just have one more moment with her alone?” He nodded a ‘yes’ to me before he stood up and leaving, giving us privacy. I walked towards the sleeping Maki and I took her hand and I wrapped it with mine.

“Maki. Gome ne (I’m sorry). Honto ni gome (I’m really sorry).” Tears began to fall down my face. I clutched her hand tightly with mine and a placed it right on my cheek. My eyes scanned her face one last time, trying to memorize every detail of her face; her petite nose, her round brown eyes, and her red luscious lips. I kissed her on the forehead lightly before getting up and leaving her back in her brother’s arms. I looked back at her one last time before I really disappear in her life.

‘Saranghe’ (I love you)

[End of Flashback]

I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. I felt cold sweats on my forehead again and all over my body. I breathe in heavily as I try to calm my heart beat. ‘Why do I keep dreaming about that night?’ *sigh*

After I woke up, I couldn’t sleep anymore. For the remainder of the night, I just sat there on my bed with my back leaning on the headboard of my bed. Just like this morning, tears began to fall uncontrollably down my face. I just sat there crying my eyes out, trying to console myself from my loneliness.

‘Keuriwoheyo, Maki……..’ (I miss you, Maki)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey guys! sorry for the super late reply. i've been really busy lately and i haven't had time to update. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. ^^

Comments would be very much appreciated! Pls stay tune for chapter 15!!! =D

Chapter 15: New friend… (I might change it)

(9/26/09)