Long Night (Part 1)

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I hugged myself as the nippy gust of the evening caressed my body while I walked down the streets. I forgot to grab my jacket and my purse. I only have a few cash on my jeans pocket and I’ve been condemning myself for the last few minutes for doing so.

I also suddenly realized I have no clue where I’m going. I spent the next few minutes wandering around and trying to figure out where I could stay for an hour or so. I wanted to visit Eun Hye, but that would be the first place mom would check if she finds out I sneaked out. 

I halt into a stop when I saw the café I promised myself I wouldn’t set my foot into. My stomach kept on grumbling though, reminding me I hadn’t finish my dinner when the argument broke out. Pushing aside my uncertainty, I entered the café. When I went to the counter, it wasn’t Kyungsoo who attended my order. In fact, I don’t see him around the café, which was a bit strange because he’s usually in the cafe every Wednesday night.

I sat on an empty booth and my order arrived after a minute. While I ate my food, I decided to just walk around the city and maybe sit in the park and try to collect my thoughts there. After I finished my food, the doors of the café burst open and a flustered Kyungsoo sauntered inside the café; his phone stuck on his one ear. He seemed to be having an important conversation with someone, considering how serious he looked.

“Kyungsoo.” I called out to him as I got on my feet and approached him.

“Su Ji.” Kyungsoo said after hanging up his phone.

“Are you okay?” I asked him. Kyungsoo opened his mouth and then he shut it again. He fumbled on his phone and I knew something’s not right. “Kyungsoo, what is it?” I asked him again, “Is it Eun Hye?”

“No, she’s fine.” Kyungsoo said. He suddenly looked tired. “It’s…Jongin.”

My heart sank. “What about him?” I echoed, taking a closer step towards him. “Did something happen? Is he…okay?”

“He’s missing, Su Ji.” he said worriedly.

Then, he explained to me that Jongin had been missing since this morning. He said Jongin had told his grandma about what really happened the night of the accident. Jongin’s grandma handled the news rather poorly. She was sent to the hospital because of severe stress, but he quickly reassured me that she’s okay now; that she only needed an emergency treatment.

“And Jongin?” I croaked, hearing the anxiety in my own voice. “Why—where did he go?”

Kyungsoo hesitated. “We don’t know yet.” he replied, “When Jongin’s grandma was taken to the hospital last night, he went with them. Noo Ri thought Jongin was waiting for them by the lobby while their grandma was resting after the treatment, but he wasn’t there. When they got home this morning, Jongin was nowhere to be found. Then, she noticed his car was gone, too.”

“He ran away.” I supplied anxiously .

“Maybe.” Kyungsoo replied unsurely, he sighed tiresomely while he sat on a spare chair near him. “We’ve been looking everywhere for him since this afternoon when Noo Ri said she hasn’t received any calls from him since he left. But we couldn’t find him anywhere.” he turned to me with hopeful stare, “Did he call you or something? Sent you any message?”

I shook my head hopelessly, recalling our huge fight. “No, he didn’t.”

“Well, do you know any place you think where he could be staying right now?” Kyungsoo asked once more, “You two are pretty close after all.”

It appeared to me that Kyungsoo hadn’t meant to say the last sentence because his eyes turned wide from quick panic the second the words came out of his mouth. And perhaps it was not the appropriate time, given the situation, but my face turned bright red from embarrassment all the same.

“I’m—sorry—” Kyungsoo stuttered, apparently disoriented perhaps because of the situation. “That was stupid—”

“It’s alright,” I told him awkwardly as I embarrassedly shifted my gaze away from him.

Then, Noo Ri came inside the shop, her eyes were red and puffy. She promptly turned to Kyungsoo and mentioned that Chanyeol was talking to some of Jongin’s old friends in a nearby town where he might be staying. Kyungsoo went to the patio and called Chanyeol at once. Meanwhile, I asked Noo Ri to take a seat because she looked like she’s going to collapse any moment now.

After taking a few deep breaths, Noo Ri expressed to me in hushed tone how much she’s worried about her little brother. Their grandma was upset with him for lying to them, but at the same time, he’s still their family.

“I got mad at him too.” Noo Ri admitted dolefully. I held her hand when I noticed her trying to hold back her tears. “He lied to us. But then I thought Jongin wouldn’t do that on purpose. He may be stubborn but he’s not heartless. I already lost a sister, I don’t want to lose my little brother, too.”

“You’re not going to lose him.” I reassured her, but I felt worried myself. “We’ll find him and he’ll be alright.” Noo Ri gave me a sad smile and squeezed my hand.

Kyungsoo came back after a moment with an information on where Jongin might be staying. Noo Ri stood up right away and went outside to her car. I was about to go after her, but then Kyungsoo stopped me and told me to just wait because it was already getting late. I insisted more but he did the same thing.

“I’ll call you when we find him. I promise.” Kyungsoo assured me. Then he ran off outside, joined Noo Ri in her car and they both rushed to the streets.

Feeling helpless, I sat floppily on the chair where Noo Ri used to sit seconds ago. Then, I remembered I forgot my cell phone back at home as well. I put my hand over my chest and feel the way my heart beat wildly. Various scenarios of what could possibly happened to Jongin rushed inside my head. Where could he possibly be hiding?

I sat there, thinking hard, until something struck my mind. I wasn’t entirely sure if he’s there but it’s worth the shot. I urgently left the café and ran across the street, ignoring the icy puff of air whipping my body. After a few more turns and tripping on my feet, I finally arrived at my destination—Ja Won’s apartment building.

Jongin told me once that no one, including his family and friends, knew about him coming into this building and so I thought he could be hiding in here. My heart was on a jittery rampage as I jogged along the hallway as soon as the elevator slid opened. I immediately pressed the intercom when I reached Ja Won’s unit. I pressed it again and again and again but there was no answer. I called out his name, even though I know for sure I’m his least favorite person at the moment, several times while knocking and abusing the intercom, but still no answer.

Dejected, I walked back to the elevator. But then something in the corner of my eyes gleamed. I looked over my right and noticed a fire exit door at the end of the hallway. After staring at it some more, a thought seized me again. The moment the elevator slid opened, I quickly pressed the button up to the top floor.

It wouldn’t hurt if I check the rooftop of the apartment building, right?

I stepped out of the elevator moments later and used the stairs leading up to the rooftop. I pushed open the door and the cool gust of wind blew on my face when I stepped out. I rubbed my hands together to warm myself up. A huge heating up unit was standing across the door, blocking my view of the entire rooftop. I walked around it and scanned the area.

It was quite spacious and dimly lit; only a few of the lamp posts lining the fences bordering the edges were lit up. Apart from the huge packaged heating up units and pipes on the edge of the cemented floors, I noted a basketball ring stand on one of the corners of the building, as well as the two sets of bleachers adjacent to it.

While I make my way towards the basketball ring stand, I noticed something by the bleachers. I stopped walking and turned to the bleacher on my left side. I climbed up the bleacher, to the second row where a leather jacket was resting. I picked it up and felt its smooth material. I caught a familiar whiff of mint. I froze suddenly when I heard a faint sound just behind the bleacher I was standing on.

Slowly and reluctantly, I went to the edge of the bleacher, thinking maybe what I heard was merely a flurry of the wind. I stopped from walking when I saw a tall figure with his one hand on his pocket standing by the fence, just a few meters away from where  I was standing.

I immediately recognized his side profile—that distinct jaw line was too easy to distinguish. He was wearing a navy blue t-shirt, jeans and his usual Chuck Taylor’s. The basket ball was on his feet and he was staring at the glitt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter