Lyra

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

To be honest, when Jongin told me I should go home already, I didn’t want to go. I wanted to stay with him, make sure he’ll be fine. But he insisted.

“Your curfew’s almost up.” he reminded me as we wait for the bus. With the dimness surrounding us, with just the lamp post by the waiting shed, I could still make out the slight puffiness of his eyes, even his voice was still a bit hoarse.

The bus stopped in front of us before I could say something. “Go.” he said with a light nod of his head.

I hugged the books and CDs we shopped earlier that day close to my chest and then I nodded my head reluctantly. He knew I was worried and being strong for him at the same time. When I climbed up the bus, I turned around when he called my name.

“Thank you.” Jongin said softly. The first soft smile since he broke down stretched into his face and my heart swelled in an instant.

I smiled back at him because I knew what he meant by that mere smile, he’ll be just fine.

“Just in time.” I froze when I heard someone said. I quietly closed our front door and turned around. “You’re almost late.” Hye Rin added, nodding towards the godfather clock near the door.

“Almost.” I said to her, “But not really.”

Hye Rin smiled. “Be thankful mom’s not here yet.” she said. “Where have you been?” she asked, putting her arms around me as we headed to the kitchen.

“Just went book and CD shopping,” I said, after putting the bag of secondhand books and CDs on top of the counter and opening the fridge to get some soda.

“Shopping with Jae Hoon?” she said, grabbing a CD inside the bag. “He finally enjoyed doing these things with you?”

“He always enjoyed doing shopping with me.” I said to her after gulping on my drink. Hye Rin arched an eyebrow. “Fine, maybe not all the time, but he’d still go with me if I ask him to. Although, I didn’t really went shopping with Jae Hoon today.”

“No?” Hye Rin said, looking up at me. “Who was it, then?”

“Jongin.” I replied, setting down the can of soda. “You haven’t met him. He’s a new friend of mine. And Eun Hye’s. And Jae Hoon’s.”

Hye Rin nodded her head and grinned. “I see.”

We listened to some of the CDs I bought before I went upstairs.

I didn’t see Jongin the next few days. I was too busy with school and because I ditched my school work the other night and hang out with him, I needed to do a little catching up. However, we would exchange text messages every now and then.

On another note, I found out why grandma was over staying at our house. She was dating a man. I saw them by the patio drinking tea together one afternoon when I arrived home from school. Grandma looked especially beautiful and her laugh was a pitch higher than the usual, she likes him, and vice versa. Hye Rin confirmed the my assumption and by the way my mom was grumbling on and on in her office was a sure sign my assumption was, indeed, a fact.

I shared the news with Jae Hoon when he visited me one day. Naturally he was just as surprised as I was. Then, he suddenly pulled something out of his jeans pocket and I knew it was his ‘Gift of the Week’.

It’s for our approaching first year anniversary. He’s been sending and giving me gifts since last week. I told him it wasn’t necessary but he insisted. He gave me a designer bag last week. A cute, bejeweled designer bag. I was surprised because I was sure Jae Hoon had thought I had nowhere to use it. I hardly attend dinner parties anymore and I’ve been using the same tote bag since last year because I could easily stuff my things in there and I basically like to carry a lot of things.

Today, his second gift was a jewelry. I was no longer surprised. It was a beautiful necklace with an amethyst pendant. “It’s very pretty.” I said, looking up at him.

Jae Hoon smiled. “I just thought the purple color matches your eyes,” he said, glancing down to the necklace and then to me, “It brings out the brown in your eyes.”

It brings out the brown in your eyes. It brings out the brown in your eyes. It brings out the brown in your eyes. It brings out the brown in your eyes. It brings out the brown in your eyes…

On and on it went echoing in my ears as I stare up at Jae Hoon. But as I looked at him, I didn’t see him. His face warped into something…into someone.

Someone with dark, elusive eyes but shines so bright when he smiles, someone whose smile could light up the entire room. “Plum brings out the brown in your eyes…” I recalled the owner of the smile telling me, his eyes smiling at me.

“Thanks.” I said to Jae Hoon in a small voice, when I finally shook myself from the sudden reverie. I touched the side of his face and stared hard at him. It was Jae Hoon. My Jae Hoon. “I have something for you, too.” I said, turning back to the counter and pulling out an envelope slipped into my folder.

I handed him the letter I wrote for him last night. Jae Hoon looked at me in surprise and smiled. He asked me if I want him to read it already but I said I need to get ready because I’ll be meeting Hye Rin.

“Oh, right.” Jae Hoon nodded, “It’s sister’s day today for both of you.” he smiled and I nodded. “Is that another letter for me?” he asked, looking over what I’m writing.

“Err, no.” I said, picking up the paper. “It’s my college application. For art school.”

Jae Hoon sighed. “Of course,” he said. Then, he was staring at the paper for a few seconds. “Are you really sure you want to go there?”

I blinked at him. “Yes, I’m sure.” I said. “I told you already.”

“I know…I just…” Jae Hoon sighed again.

“Do you not want me to go there?” I asked slowly, because he’s suddenly giving me that impression.

“I want you to go there…” he said after a few moments. “Perhaps it hasn’t sink into me yet. The idea of you and me not being in the same university. Or profession.”

“It’s only a two-hour drive away from the medical school,” I reassured him, “We could still meet in weekends or during our off. I’m sure we could work something out.” I caressed the sides of his shoulders, “Okay?” I said, peering into his eyes.

Jae Hoon met my gaze and then he nodded. “Okay.” he said quietly. “I better go now. You have fun with Hye Rin today, okay?” he kissed the top of my head and then he left our house.

As soon as he left, I went over the fridge to get something cold to drink. I took a deep breath and recalled how I saw Jongin’s image when I was staring at Jae Hoon. While I set the glass of water on the counter top, I realized the idea of us not being together on college truly bothered Jae Hoon because he left the letter I wrote for him on the counter.

---------

I met with Hye Rin at the mall later that afternoon. We haven’t hang out together since she started to work and since the second semester started. We did some catching up, and asked me about my college application and stuff. After doing some shopping and eye shopping, we went to a vintage café and bumped into some of our good friends.

We joined tables and while I was talking to one of our friends, I had the feeling someone’s looking at me. I looked around until I caught Jongin’s gaze who’s sitting a couple of tables away from ours.

Ever so slightly, he lifted his head and gave me a tiny little smile. And I smiled back at him. I recognized his grandmother sitting and eating with him. Jongin looked okay, better than the last time I’ve seen him. It’s been a few days since he revealed to me what really happened the night of the accident.

My heart could still feel the sting of the pain whenever Jongin’s broken hearted eyes flickered in my mind’s eye. Truly, those people with the most beautiful and brightest smiles are the ones whose heart got broken in the most genuine and agonizing way. I wanted for Jongin to be okay. I wanted him to stop blaming himself. I wanted him to stop hurting. I wanted him to start living his life again because he has so much potential.

“Hi,” I greeted him. My group was in the restroom, doing some touch ups before leaving the café. I saw him standing by the counter, perhaps waiting for his order.

“Hi,” Jongin said, his hands on his pockets. “How are ya?”

“Uh, good.” I said. I should’ve been the one asking him that. “I was just hanging out with my sister and some friends. You’re with your grandma?”

“Yeah.” Jongin said. We both looked over at their table where his grandma waved at us with a bright smile. I chuckled lightly and waved back at her.

“I still haven’t told her.” Jongin said after a few seconds, turning back to me. He exhaled a shaky breath and glanced down at his hands. “I have to tell her, Su Ji.”

I struggled for something to say. I peered into his eyes and they were waiting for me to say something. “She would understand.”

Jongin’s face cracked a sad smile. “Maybe,” he sighed, “But she’ll hate me first. I also consider the possibility of her kicking me out of the house.” he added, but not out of pity, just in a matter-of-factly way.

“She won’t.” I said with so much conviction, I almost believed myself. “You didn’t want that to happen any more than she does.”

“Hello, there!” Hye Rin piped in cheerily, making me almost jump from surprise. “Who’s your friend?” she said, glancing at Jongin.

“This is Kim Jongin,” I told Hye Rin who’s now smiling at Jongin, “And Jongin, this is Hye Rin, my sister.”

“Pleasure to meet you.” Jongin said politely, his arm outstretched.

“Kim Jongin,” Hye Rin echoed after briefly shaking Jongin’s hand. “Nice to finally meet you.”

After the next few minutes, I found out Hye Rin and Noo Ri were in the same badminton team when they were still a member at the country club. I was totally surprised and apparently Jongin was as well.

Before leaving the café, I told Jongin I’ll be over at their shed this week to finish the painting. With our arms linked together, my sister and I walked down the pavement, with our friends walking ahead f us, she told me her days back the country club, being friends with Noo Ri and everything. She said she found her friendly and cool.

“Gift of the week, huh.” Hye Rin said eyeing the necklace Jae Hoon had given me. “You didn’t tell him you don’t fancy jewelries?”

“He looked really happy.” I said, the necklace. “And this one’s really pretty.” Hye Rin didn’t say anything. “And Jae Hoon’s acting a bit weird lately.” I sai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter