Be The One

Dangerous Territory

Fact: May 24, 2012 -- BoA's Win Win recording ; July 14, 2012 -- BoA's Win Win episode with Yunho

- - - 

Being her first solo interview in 12 years, BoA had expressed her worries about guesting in the future episode of Win Win. 

Of course there were notes and a complete rundown of how the show would progress but once you're there, BoA knew that she should still expect the unexpected. Yet, she was hopeful that everything would turn out fine. 

The show started and she was warmly greeted by the hosts. Contrary to her fears prior the recording, she felt rather comfortable talking about herself and a whole bunch of stories about her debut until her most current activities.  

She found herself laughing a lot, and reminiscing the past felt so nostalgic. Talking to the family that took her in during her first year in Japan was also a great surprise. She was grateful for this opportunity and admittedly, she was really enjoying herself. 

As the interview progressed, BoA noticed that the hosts were a bit interested about her non-existent love life. She truly considered her current single status pretty pathetic. At this age, she should be having a lasting relationship with someone but instead, she's always by herself immersing herself with work, work, and more work. A lot of people have expressed their concern and her brothers were getting really worried about it too.

It's not like she doesn't want to marry. Of course she wanted to have a family of her own. But the idea of marriage felt like an impossible feat. It scared her... Or to accurately describe her feelings towards this topic, it made her feel very insecure. She kept on wondering what was wrong with her and during those lonely times, she sometimes pitied herself..

But she's the star of Asia. She has a tough image she needed to carry on her shoulder. With such burden, sometimes, she was forced to lie and cover up her weaknesses..

'So... When was your last relationship?'

'About two years ago,' she answered, masking the lie with her practiced confidence in front of the camera. She smiled and even fabricated a typical story behind it. All the while, her heart was beating so violently against her chest. 

What they see as a straightforward attitude was actually some fake confidence she mastered a long time ago. Only a few people knew her vulnerable side. She cannot let anybody else know about that secret. That's why she's so thankful that her two bestfriends were very accepting and they always helped her cover that insecurity by not mentioning any of  it at all. It's the same when her best buds doesn't even wear high heels when around her. Those little stuff that always means a lot.

Later on, two special guests visited the set. She was so happy to see Ara and Yunho. At least with Ara, she'll be calmer. After touching the topic about relationships, BoA's a bit shaken. She knew her bestfriend would support her even if the younger girl was aware of the little discrepancy in her unnie's story. 

Having Yunho, on the other hand, doesn't pose any threats as well. Although they've claimed to be bestfriends, it's more like they just share a somewhat closer bond compared to BoA's other labelmates. The fact that they've known each other for a decade gave people an easy assumption of their relationship. To be quite honest, besides work, they never really talked about anything else. But at least they feel comfortable being with each other's company, and it's a fact even BoA acknowledged. 

To her surprise though, it turned out that Yunho actually cared enough to notice little details about herself. He talked so well about her personality, describing how she is when dealing with trivial stuff like being late for work, or her habits when drunk. It incredibly shocked her too when he started talking about the past when they were barely getting to know each other. Those stuff people normally tend to leave behind or forget. 

In a way, BoA looked at him in a whole new perspective. And all that he said, she knew was out of his heart's sincerity. It was pretty obvious how keen she was, listening to everything Yunho was saying and the two other girls, Ara and Yeonhee (who came a little later after the two), couldn't help but observe them.  

The set was having such a great time that when the taping finally ended, it now felt so short. They said their goodbyes and BoA, along with her girl friends graced the hallway towards the exit. As the only male, who wanted to give the girls their own space, Yunho walked a little further behind them. 

He watched them casually. How BoA always stood in the middle. How Ara and Yeonhee emitted such respect for their unnie. Yunho can clearly see their admiration towards this little giant. 

Ara wrapped her arms around BoA's. She leaned a little closer and whispered, 'Unnie... About that story...'

If these girls thought they were talking in such a hushed voice, they were seriously mistaken. Add to that Yunho's sharp hearing, then nothing can really escape him. But he went on, supposedly engrossed in his own world when really, he's paying a lot of attention towards their conversation.  

'What story?' Yeonhee mouthed. 

Ara gestured for her to come closer. 'BoA unnie talked about the boyfriend...'

Yeonhee looked particularly confused and Yunho didn't miss to take note of that. He looked between Yeonhee and the other two girls who reflected a rather uncomfortable expression on their faces -- especially BoA. 

'But... BoA unnie never had a boyfriend--'

BoA and Ara were so shocked that they both jumped and covered Yeonhee's mouth. BoA flashed Yunho an abrupt look and was relieved when she saw him without any changes in his expression. She heaved a sigh of relief. 

Good thing he didn't hear anything... BoA thought. She turned around one more time and looked at Yunho's direction with an awkward smile. 'Uhh Yunho,' she started. The both stood still, waiting. BoA cleared before continuing. 'Yeonhee and Ara said they'll join me for a drink. If you can come... That would be... uh... great..?'

A small smile formed at the corner of his lips. It was too evident how she doesn't want him to tag along. He thought for a while whether or not he should challenge her invitation or to give her space instead. BoA's anticipation for his answer was almost palpable. 

'Ah! That's awesome!' he boomed. 

BoA's eyebrows flicked together for a split second before composing herself. She flashed her perfect smile, her eyes like half moons. 'That's... Perfect! I mean, It'll be... fun!'

Yunho eyed her carefully along with her two companions who looked so worried behind her back. He fought hard not to laugh gazing at the chaos he himself had stirred between the three. 'But... too bad I wouldn't be able to join you coz of my schedule in Japan...'

BoA's face lit up despite her efforts to look apologetic. 'Oh yeah, I forgot about your schedule for tomorrow... We'll both have a drink next time, then.' She finished quickly, evidently happy about how everything ended up the way she liked it to be.

Engrossed with her happy thoughts and without warning, Yunho took a step towards her. 'Yeah, let's do that next time.' He said, at the same time extending his arms to hug her. It was so unexpected that she stiffened at the sudden contact. The two other girls were too stunned seeing Yunho's forwardness.

Of course he was aware of his actions going beyond what you would call acceptable by Korean standards. BoA and Yunho never shared any physical contact unless it's for a show like SM TOWN or company gatherings. Then, it would look like just a friendly gesture between labelmates. 

This one however, was more personal

'Congrats for today,' he whispered before letting go. His voice brought chills down her spine and for a while, her mind went blank. 

'Uh, thank you.'

'I'll see you later,' Yunho said with a smile before walking away, leaving a still dumbfounded BoA behind him. 

Yunho knew he would do anything for BoA. He didn't care if he would have to compromise or exhaust himself in the process if it's for her. Agreeing to guest for this show just proved him that choosing her will always be the best decision he'll ever make. Because this event just made her part of his dangerous territory

'Never had a boyfriend, huh?' He mumbled to himself. That was one important piece of information he didn't know. He has always suspected her to be in at least two or more relationships by now. This new revelation was definitely a sign that pushed him to defy the boundaries he had always set for himself when it comes to BoA. 

It's not because he was protecting their friendship. He just thought that maybe he was not good enough for her. It didn't help that she never showed any interest in him as well. But how can he say that now when BoA's never even been in a relationship before? 

His heart pounded with excitement. 

'I wonder...' He pondered as he looked up in the sky, imagining BoA's smiling face. 'If I can be the one...'

 

*

 

Author's Notes:

I'm pretty sure 90% of the people who will read this are the same people who have read my other fics. So thank you and for all the new readers who picked this story as well :3 Anyway, I'm aware that you've noticed how I always have a pattern in approaching Yunho and BoA's relationship in my story telling. Also my incorporation of existing events into my fics (I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing though). So... you'll be reading a lot of familiar events as the story progresses. I've done quite a bit of research when it comes to the timeline so it took me forever to update but oh well. 

I hope I'll see you all again next chapter!

image (c) owner