09: Pictures and Fonts and Smileys

What Not to Add in Fanfics [COMPLETE]

9/101

A sight that makes your eyes sore


An overuse of pictures is a no-no

 

Stories full of pictures and gifs are absolutely terrifying for the reader. 
You have to wait for the page to load and gifs to start moving.

And you start swearing when it makes your computer lag and you waste time waiting for things that aren't needed.

 

If you are describing a mansion, describe it!

If you are describing the stunning Queeka or whatever, describe her! 

If someone has an unbelieveably y car, describe it! 

 

Because it is worth having descriptions rather than pictures.

Which one would you prefer?

 

She stepped out of her car

looking beautiful like this, wearing her normal casual clothes

To her school

 

 

Or?

She stepped out of her sleek grey Porsche, recently purchased, given to her for her ninteenth birthday. She looked about her and everybody took a breath as they saw the fashoinable clothes she was wearing.

A casual black long sleeved shirt, with black skinny jeans, combat boots that screamed money. The pearl necklace that strung around her neck gleamed in the sun and the cute chic beanie that she wore helped shape her perfect face. Her clear face stuck out amongst teens raging with hormones, going through puberty. Her brilliant round eyes lined with a little bit of eyeliner made her look as if she had walked of the runway. Her reddish dyed hair helped her skin complexion as it hung around her shoulders, making her neck look elegant and very, very, beautful, as most would agree.

 

WHICH ONE CAPTURED YOU MORE?

 

The second one.
It appeals to your senses more and the use of too much pictures make you look like an amatuer or too lazy to write properly.

 

Even in your character description.
I have a tendicy to ignore stories that start with:

 

A self-concious shy girl, You/____

Your wonderfully good looking boyfriend, Byun Baekhyun

Your player "ex" friend, Minyoung.

 

For starters, I would say don't even bother with the character descriptions.

In actual books do you see character descriptions? Unless it's a series of books with lots of characters and complicated relationships, they don't.

 

You, should be trying to aim for the reader to understand your characters by the way you describe them.

 

Smiley Faces

"So what do you think? ;)" asked Kai.

I am glad to say I have seen less of these over the weeks. Or it could have been me avoiding them.

You could have easily just found a word for the winky face.


"So what do you think?" asked Kai with a smirk.
"So what do you think?" asked Kai winking cheekily.
With one of his die-for smirks he asked cheekily ,"so what do you think?"  

 

Like the picture, your story doesn't need your smileys. 

 

Fonts

You do not know how annoying it is to read a story looking like this.

 

It is unnecessary and just makes your chapter which isn't very long, look long and amateur.

 

I have realized that writers have a stage at which they look at what they can do with their fonts and colours and highlighting and whatever

 

But don't do this.

Keep your text at a reasonable size and choose sensible fonts that look neat, tidy and things that bling to your eye.
Only put in colour for your blogs, author notes at the end, or single words that you think that must have attention. 

 

 



 

Chapter 9 --- Kaizzie

Readers, subscribers, voters, commenters are all very much loved.

 

I'm going to go against what I said and add a smiley and a picture

 

:)

 

Sends his love to ya'all