07: Your Research

What Not to Add in Fanfics [COMPLETE]

7/101

Do your research 


Knowledge is power

You've all read that story.

 

The story, where is girl, guy, main character has a disease, sickness, and needs to go to hospital.

But the part that makes the subscribers unsubscribe?

 

The authors notes that say in big red font,
"I'm sorry, but I'm not a doctor. I don't really know what happens when you have ____, lol sorry"

 

Having researched for most of my stories, this sounds absolutely ridiculous.

For my sake, the readers sake. Just research.

If you're going to google, rare diseases so you can make the story dramatic, save yourself the trouble if you aren't going to research more and see the effects and what it does to your body and mind. 
Research how often you need to go to the hospital, what drugs you need, expected life expectancy.

If you have a story where your main has con insensitivity to pain, CIPA, 
check out the dangers, the fees, the drugs, the hospital fees, ways they can adapt to life.

 

Thirty minutes of just Wikipedia may help you actually spell the word for one.
I'm not saying Wikipedia is 100%. You should never use it for official purposes.

But at least know what happens.

This doesn't only have to be with hospitals. 
It can be how a school functions.

How stupid does it sound when you're in Seoul University, and you don't know how to expand algebraic equations?

I don't know about you guys but I learnt that when I was TWELVE.

 

When you get your facts wrong, people who see it and know it's wrong will just look at this and unsubscribe.

Who wants to read some ten year old's writing when they can't get the basic facts?

 

Research anything! Sports, hospitals, schools, heck driving laws!

Nobody, drives like this and gets away with it. No matter how bad they are.
You would either die of a road accident or from the death curses people yell at you.

 

If you don't have your facts people will think you:

-Young and clueless
-Stupid, somewhat lacking
-Lazy.. Just lazy.

 

If you want your story to succeed, do spend some decent time on research.
What do you actually want to achieve on AFF.

Subscribers? Comments? Karma? Votes?

For stories to be interesting, the stories have to have something that sets it apart from others.

There is billions of those, nerdy glasses, baggy pants, smart geek stories.

Only the truly successful writers get readers hooked onto those stories.
So until you're at that stage, I suggest you step away from the edge of the cliff and prevent yourself from plunging into the sea of  mainstream.

Because you don't want that. 
That's why you're here, isn't it?

Therefore I suggest something different.

Find something different and research it. If it interests you, write about it.

Whether it be Twilight parody, or genetically modified children born with an extra sense built into them.

 

If it must the the Twilight parody,
you wouldn't just start it without reading the story, you would read it, learn all the characters, then write.
Isn't that a form of research?

The genetically modified children.
Learn about DNA, genes, whitecoats, labs. 

 

You don't have to end up as a doctor, scientist, school teacher.

Just know your basics.



 

Chapter seven -- Kaizzie

 

Sup people! It's been a while, yes?

 

Comment if you want to ask anything, Subscribe if you want to read more, and Upvote if you love me.
I know you guys do.

Don't worry.