Bodyguard Election

The Kungfu Queen (Bodyguard Princess II)

"Look at the people!" D.O. let out a low whistle. "Baekhyun hyung, I didn't know you were so popular amongst men."
 
Baekhyun shot D.O. a look, frowning.
 
It was the day of the Bodyguard Elections and so far, all of the people that came were males.
 
Perhaps it had to do with Byul's reputation of being the best fighter in the Military Academy.
 
And perhaps it had to do with how it was advertised that the candidates had to spar against Byul.
 
None of the girls dared to try out.
 
Baekhyun looked positively bored at the whole affair as he could hardly be bothered by who would turn out to be his bodyguard. That guy had just better not stick so close to him as Eunhyuk had. AISH.
 
Byul on the other hand, looked excited to choose a new bodyguard for him and Baekhyun didn't like seeing the grin on her face.
 
Did she like seeing so many topless men that much? He could go topless for her as well, if she wanted.
 
"Some of them look scary." Sehun murmured, eying some of the men who had large bulging muscles and looked absolutely hideous and threatening.
 
Kai brought along his new found lover Minhee and the two weren't even focused on the whole affair. They were too busy making dreamy eyes at one another and disgusting any one who dared look in their direction.
 
Byul beamed at the candidates and stood up to address them. "Annyeonghaseyo. I am Han Eunbyul, Ddong-, I mean Jeonha's..."
 
"SOULMATE!" Sehun shouted.
 
Byul's cheek fired pink and Baekhyun sent a grin at the maknae. Taels exchanged hands.
 
"Yeah so Uhm, I will be conducting the election today to find the new bodyguard for the crown prince." Byul explained. "First up, there will be an internal match after we split you guys into pairs. The winners after three rounds will be able to spar with me." She pointed to herself. "And I wi decide there after who the new bodyguard would be."
 
"Bear in mind, the new bodyguard holds an important position so he must definitely be skilled enough. ." Byul warned. "So try your best everyone, and good luck!"
 
Byul sent a smile at the boys and went to sit down beside Baekhyun again. Baekhyun scowled at some of the men that had smiled a little too dreamily at his girl.
 
Damn it, didn't they hear how she was supposed to be his soulmate already?
 
"This seems exciting." Suho whispered. "Is it something like a competition of some sort? It'll be cool watching them spar each other."
 
D.O. nodded in agreement.
 
Baekhyun however, had other thoughts. He turned to Byul, his brows knitted in worry. "Yah Han Eunbyul," he murmured. "Look at those men. Are you telling me that you're going to spar the best out of them to determine who is better?"
 
"Yeah." Byul nodded. "How else am I supposed to know who's fitting to be your bodyguard?"
 
"But they're men!" Baekhyun sighed, exasperated. "Did you see how large and scary they look? They'll flatten you out in no time. No, you're not sparring them." He shook his head firmly.
 
"Ddong-ha, it's not only about the muscles and strength." Byul pointed out. "Speed, agility and accuracy matters too."
 
"I don't want my wife getting hurt before I even marry her alright? So no." Baekhyun insisted stubbornly.
 
Byul glanced at the EXO-K boys desperately and sighed. Suho bit his lip and looked at Baekhyun. "You need not worry about Byul, Baekhyun. She's a big girl, a strong one nevertheless. It's just sparring, she won't get hurt." He assured.
 
"Hyung, you're not in love with the woman of course you won't worry as much!" Baekhyun snapped.
 
Kai rolled his eyes. "Stop being so possessive and paranoid. If its you sparring against them, I'd be afraid. But it's Byul we're talking about her."
 
"Noona will kick all their butts!" Sehun added, beaming.
 
The boys looked at Baekhyun eagerly and he glanced at Byul. She smiled softly at him and raised her brows in question.
 
Baekhyun let out a groan and sighed. "Fine. But if you get even a scratch-"
 
"I got it." Byul beamed and snapped il from her seat. "Lee! Announce the start!"
 
A loud gong signaled the start of the event.
 
-----
 
First up was two young men of both nineteen years of age, named Daehyun and Myungsoo. Both didn't look too muscular but they were really agile and fast in their movements.
 
They seemed to be on par and neither of them could sneak surprise attacks on each other because they were too alert and quick.
 
"Who do you think will win?" D.O. whispered. "It seems the Myungsoo guy is better at handling the sword."
 
"But the Daehyun guy is faster." Suho pointed out. "I'm not too sure really."
 
It turned out that Myungsoo won the match after some time even though he had slower reactions because Daehyun had a lower stamina and grew tired faster.
 
The next two men who competed were larger. One of them rippled with muscles and looked intimidating, called Kim Jong Kook. The other was extremely tall but skinny, Lee Kwangsoo.
 
"Who do you think will win this one?" Minhee asked in interest.
 
"Kim Jong Kook." Everyone chorused.
 
Kai laughed when Minhee's eyes rounded at their response and ruffled her hair. "Look at their muscles. I'll bet the fight is only going to last one twelfth of an hour."
 
It lasted shorter than that.
 
Kim Jong Kook was really strong even though Kwangsoo was quicker and had long dandy legs. He quickly threw Kwangsoo over his shoulder in less than two minutes, ending the fairly predictable match.
 
Kai grinned in triumph at Minhee. "See?"
 
Baekhyun on the other hand, eyed Kim Jong Kook's size in worry. He knew someone like that would be bound to make it through all three rounds and then what? Byul would have to fight him?
 
Byul caught him staring at her and laughed softly. "You should have faith in your future wife, Ddong-ha."
 
Baekhyun raised both his hands. "Not saying anything!"
 
-----
 
The matches dragged out through the entire day. While some were sparring,  others were being tested on their durability and stamina. Even the EXO princes grew bored watching the fights after some time.
 
Finally, five candidates were chosen from the numerous others and were sent to Byul for approval. She eyed the five men, analyzing. "So," she looked at the first guy. "Your name is Choi Minho, am I right?"
 
"Yes, crown princess." Minho bowed.
 
"Hmm, tall and handsome. You're bound to be danger to the maids." Byul murmured. Minho flushed pink. "But I wonder how your reflex would be-"
 
Byul suddenly shot out and hit his left shoulder. Minho doubled over in pain and before he could get back up, Byul got in from the back and pinned him to the ground.
 
Byul sighed softly and shook her head. "Next!"
 
-----
 
She sparred on with the rest of the four men and Baekhyun watched, twitching on his seat. Whenever it seemed as if one of the guys was going to overpower Byul, Baekhyun would shout her name loudly without any restraint to cheer her on. "GO HAN EUNBYUL!!!!"
 
And inside he would be so worried that he could have peed in his pants in several occasions. Once, he even wanted to rush out there to slap Kim Jong Kook because the latter seemed to be smirking at how small sized Byul was in relation to him.
 
But Byul had everything under control.
 
Even when she let the other person attack, it was only to gage how the other person was in offense as opposed to defense. Even as the other attacked, she would always be able to defend herself and somehow turn the match over till she was attacking.
 
And then it would end with an incredulous expression on the guy's face as he sprawled on the ground in an unflattering position, wondering if he really was just beaten by a girl.
 
The five candidates delivered similar results. Even Choi Minho was called back for an actual sparring when the other four failed. He failed as well.
 
Byul shook her head as she wiped some perspiration from her face. She didn't even look tired but the men were undeniably beaten.
 
She met Baekhyun's gaze and the latter sent thumbs up at her, quickly changing to a large heart over his head.
 
Byul heard the other guards chuckling in the background and she flushed pink. Oh Baekhyun..
 
"I don't think any of them make the cut." Byul murmured. "They all can't seem to make it."
 
"So it seems you'll have to be my bodyguard once more?" Baekhyun wriggled his eyebrows. Suho, on the other hand, was more serious. "I think we should hold another election if none of them makes the cut. After all, it's protecting the crown prince. It's important."
 
"Another election?" Sehun groaned. "I don't want to see men being beat up again."
 
Baekhyun sighed. Neither did he. However it seemed to be the only answer to their question although he didn't want to go through the mini heart attacks when he thought the candidate was nearly going to get the upper hand when sparring with Byul.
 
"Fine then, everyone dismissed." Baekhyun announced. "Lee! Send another letter to the Capital City announcing another round of election tomorrow!"
 
Everyone packed up to leave. The candidates who failed either shook their heads at their own failure or smiled at Byul in awe, impressed by her skills. Skills over strength, she really displayed that.
 
The Exo-k boys too left, leaving Baekhyun and Byul. "Tired?" Baekhyun wiped the remains of perspiration on Byul's forehead tenderly. "You nearly killed me when I thought some of them were going to murder you."
 
"You really should have more faith in me." Byul laughed as he took her hand. "Haven't you experiences my -kicking prowess yourself?"
 
"But still, I wasn't a very worthy opponent." Baekhyun grinned. The two of them were about to return to his quarters when the doors burst opened.
 
A girl ran in while two guards chased after her. "Is it really over?" She shrieked.
 
The guards caught up with her and tried to drag her out. "I'm sorry Jeonha, Princess." They bowed. "We tried to tell her that the election has ended and for her to come tomorrow but she insisted-"
 
"The bodyguard election?" Byul tore herself from Baekhyun's side and looked the girl up and down in interest. "You're here for the bodyguard election?"
 
"Yes, princess." The girl nodded. "But I was delayed and I can't believe it ended when I got here! I guess I'll come again tomorrow." She bowed. "Sorry for my imprudence."
 
"Wait." Byul stopped her. "Why don't you spar me right now and we'll see if you make the cut?"
 
"Right now?" Baekhyun groaned, his stomach grumbling. "Make it quick baby!" He didn't think the other girl would last long. Look at how scrawny she was.
 
Lee threw them both swords and they entered the fighting arena. Lee signaled the start of the fight and both girls slashed their swords with a loud clang.
 
Byul was surprised with the amount of strength the other girl had and quickly changed to attack instead of defense. The girl was quick as well, accurately blocking all of Byul's attempts.
 
Baekhyun gaped at the match and sank back down on his chair.
 
And then the girl had a chance to attack when Byul's chest was unguarded for a moment. She quickly attacked and Byul nearly didn't manage to protect herself.
 
Perspiration trickled on both their foreheads as they fought, not one of them seeming to get the upper hand.
 
Baekhyun swallowed as the fight dragged on. Byul had been out since morning and now it was night. And not to mention she had fought five capable candidates just now.
 
Even though she did beat all of them, she must have gotten tired.
 
He was worried for her health and welfare and wondered how long she could last.
 
"Stop stop stop!!!" Baekhyun ran in and waved the flag. Both girls stopped fighting and set their swords down, panting heavily.
 
Baekhyun rushed to Byul but her eyes weren't on him. She smiled brightly at her opponent and nodded in approval. "Amazing reflex."
 
"Same for you, princess." The girl smiled, wiping off her sweat.
 
"You okay?" Baekhyun whispered to Byul and she nodded. She jerked her head towards her girl. "We've found your new bodyguard, Ddong-ha. What's your name?"
 
The girl smiled shyly and shifted on the spot. "Im Sora. My name is Im Sora."