Chanyeol: Chapter 34

Cupid's Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

True to his word, Chanyeol drives us back to campus once the thirty minutes are up. Even when a fun song starts playing, and the mood that only comes with a quiet afternoon expands over the highway, he and I do not exchange our thoughts. He drops me off at my dorm and drives away. It isn’t until I’m reaching for my bedroom door do I remember that I was supposed to meet Suho.

“Crap,” I say and spin around. I run out of the hallway and back to the guys’ dorm.  I dial Suho’s number. When he answers, I ask, “Suho! Where are you?”

“I’m in my room. Why?”

“You said something urgent came up so I went to find you but I was … side tracked.”

“Oh. I got it figured out.”

I stop running and gasp. “The heck?”

“Yeah. Sorry. I wasn’t sure if it would turn out all right, but it did, so it’s cool, you don’t have to worry about anything.”

“What did you even need me for?” Did I really run for nothing?

“It was a project. I thought I’d need help fixing it, but it all worked out.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. What about you? You sound tired.”

I slowly walk to my dorm. “I’m fine. I’m … “ I’m going to let the arrows hit me, Junah. “ … I’m fine.”

His voice changes. I think he’s smiling. “Good. I’ll talk to you later. Have a nice day, Junah.” He hangs up before I can say goodbye. Up ahead, I see Nam walking toward the girls’ dorm.

“Nam!” I shout. I haven’t seen this kid for so long. He turns at the sound of his name and waits for me to reach him. When I’m near, he wraps me in a hug, something I didn’t realize I’ve been missing.

“Hey,” he says and tousles my hair. I frown and push his arm away.

“Where’ve you been? I never see you anymore.”

“That’s because you’re too busy with your life!”

“I’m not busy.”

“I’m just playing. I’ve been busy though. That’s probably why.”

“Busy with Bora?”

He stops. “Says the girl with her own love life to manage.”

“Also known as nonexistent.”

“I’m working on it.”

“So am I.”

We laugh. Nam opens the door for me. “I’m getting to know Bora. I thought I knew her already, but there’s still so much more I need to know. It’s weird. The more I learn, the more I find myself liking her.”

“You should tell her that.” She’s waiting for validation.

“I’ll tell her.”

I glance up. “When?”

“In a while. I’ve got to make sure Seya is completely out of the picture before I do anything. I want to be sincere with Bora.”

“Is she bothering you or something?”

“In here,” he says, patting his chest. “Yeah.”

“You’re lame.”

He sits down on one of the couches in the lobby. “I’m waiting for Bora. Do you know if she’s up there?”

“I’ll check. Hold on.” I skip up a step and pause. “I’ll see you later, Nam. Good luck on whatever it is you want to do.”

“Thanks.”

I find Bora in the bathroom when I reach our room. She’s spraying perfume on her neck. “Is this a date?”

“No, but I should still smell good,” she replies. “I’m helping him with homework.”

“It’s basically a date,” I say and lie down on my bed.

“No it’s not!” she protests. “Do I look okay?” She stands in the middle of the room and asks me to survey her.

“Perfect.”

“Sweet.” She grabs her phone and runs out.

“Hey! Your books!”

She slides back in and swipes her schoolbooks from the desk. “Right. Homework.” She dashes out of the room with an uneven grin on her face. I laugh to myself, and then I open my laptop. I should do homework, too.

-----

“Finals are coming up, so I ask that everyone start preparing for the accumulative test for this subject.”

A few of my classmates sitting in the back groan. Accumulative finals are the worst. It’s a good thing that the other classes I have don’t give accumulative finals. Making sure not to miss anything, I vigorously write notes on what to study for the test. It’s going to be a tough next few weeks.

It’s been a couple of days since I’ve last talked to Chanyeol, which was when he dragged me for the thirty-minute outing. I keep dwelling on what his words mean, but I still don’t understand his message. Is he saying he likes me? What is he going to do? What do I have to look forward to?

The end of spring semester is near, and there are still so many unresolved problems. Bora likes Nam, and Na

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter