Day 7 - It's Just for Show

It's Just For Show

A/N: This is a LONG chapter so please make sure to allot enough time to read in one sitting XD Enjoy~


 

L's POV

How is she doing?

What is she doing?

My mind only focused on her throughout the whole day. We decided to meet after my schedules were completed, since it was our last day, I did not want any distractions or schedules intervening. It was a busy day. Since our album was released yesterday, we had to perform on MNET M! Countdown for our comeback stage.

Now, we were in the middle of a Google+ hangout with eight lucky fans, and even in the midst of that, all I could think about was Seohyun. I realized that I was spacing out until we got to the topic of birthdays. My birthday had already passed but we were not able to celebrate it and Sunngyu was talking about that. The fans cheered as Sunggyu focused on me and asked me what the most memorable birthday gift was from the fans. 

That brought me back to yesterday. Due to my hectic schedule with the album release and constant practicing and training sessions, I was not able to go see her. However, through text, she sent me a simple photo collage to serve as memories and one for a birthday gift. It basically explained our story while on this show. She really put effort into making it and I really appreciated it.

However, I couldn't show any appreciation. It caught me offguard yesterday at how much she really did like me. I was an idiot giving her false hope that it would work out in the end. I merely told her to go sleep, in which she obliged. I could see her adorable smile fading when I simply dismissed her hard work on those collages. They were beautiful. I would say that it was the best birthday gift and I'll definitely cherish the memories. 

 

But...it can't work out. And I don't even have a say in it...

 

Going back to the show, I replied that the most memorable birthday gift was a photobook. I wouldn't say her present was exactly a photobook but it was the best I could describe in such a short amount of time. And with that, the topic ended and the show moved on. 

It was 7:00 pm and we were almost at the end of the Google+ hangout. I just wished time would speed up so that I could meet her at 8pm, when we would finally get some time alone. However, it did bother me that I had no choice but to break it off. My mind, again, digressed to yesterday, when I received the note. 

The note contained a message from the producers of MNET Scandal. And, it did not leave a good feeling in me as it read:

 

From the Producers of MNET:

L-sshi,

As a celebrity, you should know that accepting a girlfriend on this show will cause a lot of commotion amongst your fans that will eventually lead to the end of your relationship, anyways. To save all that, we ask that you end the relationship tomorrow. However, to keep the show as genuine as possible, you are required to act your part and end it appropriately.

Thank you for your participation in our show.

 

Thus, the decision was already made for me, and I hated the idea of it. If I chose to end it for good, then at least I would take the consequences of getting over Seohyun since I was the idiot who broke it off. If I chose to end it, then I can mend for it later. If it was my choice, I could have even accepted her...

Even if it meant going through the angry fans, losing fans, and getting antifans, I considered it...

However, in this case, I did not even have the final choice. 

The thought of Seohyun trying to act strong in the end, trying to convince herself that it was meant to happen, crushed me. The fact that she would cry a lot and I can't even be there for her anymore, made me feel useless.

 

Why even put me on this show if I can't have the final choice? 

 

But this was reality. Everything on TV has to be scripted one way or another, right? In this case, it just had to be the final choice...

It was nearing 7:30 as we started to go through each of the fans and thank them for supporting us. For the fans, I put on a smile, trying to engage in the last five minutes of the Hangout as we were closing it with the witness of the fans watching us signing our New Challenge album poster that were to be mailed out to our eight lucky fans. After saying our goodbyes, the camera shut off, signalling me to immediately stand up to change out of the green suit and into my jeans and...

I paused for a moment when I saw the striped shirt from two days ago. 

 

The thought of us as a couple..it'll be our last chance...

 

With that thought, I picked it up and pulled it over my head. If anything, it did look like any other shirt so if she didn't have hers on, it wouldn't look out of place. Knowing that it was still cold at night, I grabbed a jacket before I quickly thanked the staff and ran for the van with Manager Hyung driving. 

 

--Seohyun's POV--

 

Well, today's the day...

 

I stood in front of my wardrobe, wondering what to wear for our last date. As I shuffled through all my clothes, my eyes were locked upon the oversized white shirt with the series of red stripes. I picked it up and scrutinized it, outlining the stripes with my fingertips. 

 

Our last chance...to look like a couple...

 

The thought brought me back to yesterday. Our text message conversation just didn't seem to have that hype that it had before. Or, rather, he didn't seem to have the hype he once had before. 

 

 

From L-ove oppa:

You...should really get some sleep...

I'll see you at 8pm tomorrow...

It's when I'm done with schedules.

 
 
Not that I was expecting him to be elated after I sent him the following images, but it just felt empty when he dismissed them just like that. 
 
 
Was he already over me? Am I the only person lingering onto something that was never meant to happen?
 
 
It just left a heavy feeling in my chest. After all that, it's just a one-sided, unrequited relationship. There wasn't any mutual feelings shared between us. However, something he added, it just didn't seem true anymore as I was pretty sure he was just saying that to make up for his previous text...
 
 

From L-ove oppa:

Sorry...umm...hey

Please, just whatever happens tomorrow...

Know that it's more than just a show..

 

Is it really more than just a show...?

 

My phone notified me that it was 7:30pm and that I should hurry if I were to meet him at 8pm. He told me that he didn't have anything afterwards so we had the rest of the evening to ourselves. A part of me wanted to go, enjoy the last day, but another part of me just wanted to be in a limbic state, and already try to get over it.

I sighed as I grabbed the couple attire and changed into it before examining myself in the mirror. 

 

One last time...as a couple...

 

With that thought, I smiled before I grabbed my matching handbag and stepped out of my apartment.

 

--

No one's POV

 

L was waiting at the designated area, Cheonggyecheon stream, where he wanted to show Seohyun one more thing before this might all end too soon. Seohyun was finally within the range of sight as she ran over to where L was standing, L looking a bit concerned as he gulped at the thought of what would happen at the end of the night.

She waved as she got closer, trying to catch her breath when she finally reached him. 

"Sorry! I'm so sorry!" She exclaimed as she bent over, placing her hands on her knees, still gasping for breath.

"Always late..." L tsked jokingly and she playfully glared at him before poking his sides, making him jump a little. He noticed that she was wearing her couple attire, making the two a complete set, once again. A warm feeling arose inside L as he reached for her hand, happy that they clicked even at the end. 

The sound of water flowing in the quiet night, with the occasional rippling due to random falling objects, filled the atmosphere as the two walked in silence.

"I always wanted to take someone special here..." L admitted as he felt his heart skip a beat before looking over at Seohyun who remained silent, deep in thought about something...

It wasn't that she wasn't paying attention to anything he was saying, it's just her logical mind was scolding her for going too far into this seven day relationship. She let out a smile though before replying, "It's beautiful..."

Before she knew it, she felt something snake around her waist before she was lifted off the ground and twirled around. Surprised at this action, she covered her face to hide her blushing as L chuckled at her reaction. He put her down when they reached a crossing point of the stream, which were set up by a series of stones that were a good distance apart, requiring someone with shorter features to slightly jump to reach from one stone to the next. 

L crossed the stream first before gesturing the frightened Seohyun to come over. However, Seohyun was deathly afraid of falling, even though the stream was only a foot deep, thus she refused to cross and she edged further away from the stream. L smirked at this fear as he came back and slightly pushed her towards the stream, in which she highly resisted, trying to use all her strength to make him stop.

When they reached the edge of the stream, L bent over a little, motioning her to get onto his back. Again, Seohyun refused this offer. L smirked as he responded, "It's either you climb onto my back and cross with me or I'll throw you into the stream." Her eyes widened at the last part before she reluctantly climbed onto his back, allowing him to lift her up with ease and cross the stream. 

"You must be tired, right?" L continued, with Seohyun still on his back, as he slung her red handbag around his shoulder to hold it for her.

She joked around a little before replying, "Yes, but I'm heavy so put me down. I don't want to kill you."

This comment made L scoff a little for her underestimation before he remarked, "Psch, you have to be a lot heavier in order to kill me." Suddenly he felt a ticklish feeling on his sides, making him lose balance for a second before he regained himself. "YAH! Next time you do that, I'm just going to drop you into the stream" He called out, as it was meant to be a joke, but Seohyun took it seriously before she dug her head into the crest of his neck, unable to refute anything after that. L's lips curled at this action as he liked the idea of her being so comfortably near him, holding him tight around his neck and laying her head onto his shoulder.

They continued walking in silence for a bit longer before L was filled with insecurities once again. 

"What do you think of me" He thought out loud as his thoughts trailed off...

 

After all this time, who does she see me as...?

 

He didn't realize that he said the first statement out loud, until she responded, "I think...you're really awesome, L oppa. I can't say I've asked for this in the beginning but I'm glad it happened..." Her voice trailed off towards the end, as it became a faint whisper that he barely heard.

It hurt him that she couldn't even say it clearly but rather had to hide it. He was able to feel her insecurities, yet this time, he wasn't able to do anything about it. 

"You could call me Myungsoo..." He started before he added, "oppa. Myungsoo oppa. L is just my stage name, but you're special to me..." Myungsoo smiled at the last statement, as he felt the warm feeling arouse in him again.

Seohyun wasn't really sure what to think.

 

What was he trying to say? Is he merely playing with my emotions?

 

Yesterday, he was being cold through text, barely acknowledging anything, but now, it's as if it was the same oppa that cared for her the past seven days...

 

However, even with all the insecurities, Seohyun felt herself blush and retreated by laying her head on his back. He felt her warm cheeks on his back and let out a soft laugh before turning his attention forward again. 

"Your back is warm..." Seohyun started, her head still on Myungsoo's shoulder as her arms around his neck slightly tightened, but not enough to choke him. "Even on a chilly evening like this.. It's comforting.."

Myungsoo turned his head slightly before he chuckled and responded, "Well then, I'll go heat my back some more so that you'll continue to be comfortable." He joked, which stifled a laugh in Seohyun, allowing some insecurities to slowly fade. 

As they reached the end of the stream, Myungsoo's footsteps slowly came to a stop as he absorbed his surroundings. He slightly shrugged his shoulders to see if Seohyun was still awake or if she fell asleep on his back. Noticing that she slightly stirred, he took a moment before he whispered to her, "Seohyun-ah, look up."

With that, she slowly lifted her head up to see the astonishing scene. A small waterfall stretched across the river with its roaring waters raging down into the flowing stream. With bright blue lights shimmering under the water to complement the scenary and the ripples created from each drop of water, the entire view was just beautiful as Seohyun took in the scene with slightly open from the surprise that she was never expecting. She motioned Myungsoo that she wanted to get off, in which he slightly stirred as he lowered himself, allowing her to step down onto the ground before helping her regain her balance.

He looked over at her, to see the childish side come out as her eyes brightened at the scene. Seeing her so amazed at these small things he does for her, it was rewarding to him. He walked over and wrapped his arms around her shoulder, hugging her from behind, before swaying her a little. She whined a little before she turned her attention to me and smiled, once again revealing that smark and smile in her eyes. And that was enough for him to know that she liked him...

They made their way up the stairs and stared down at the entire span of the river, which went on for quite a while. Seohyun let out a sigh, as she felt her insecure feelings return. Even though she knew, it was just that much harder when reality had caught up. However, she forced a smile before turning to look at him. And Myungsoo noticed that her overall figure was smiling, but her eyes, this time, were not. That's when he realized that it was finally reaching the end...

"I think I should go..." She suggested as she gripped his hand hard before loosening her grip. She averted her gaze from him as she couldn't look at him straight in the eyes without showing an emotion she hated to see herself in.

However, before she could react, Myungsoo pulled her into his arms, embracing her for one last time. "Be safe. Would you like me to catch a cab for you?" He asked, hoping that she would say yes, just so that he could spend those last minutes with her.

She shook her head, which made his heart drop. "It's okay...I could go on my own from here. It was a lot of fun...thank you, Myungsoo oppa." She sighed in her head before a smile curled on her lips, causing her eyes to curve, presenting the smile that Myungsoo had fallen in love with. Seohyun pulled herself out of his grip, before looking up at him one last time, examining his features, his slim figure, his cute face, his heart-warming smile, and his longing eyes. 

Myungsoo shuffled through her handbag, as something was slipping out so he wanted to secure it, zipping the handbag close. "You shouldn't leave your handbag open, you know. It's unsafe." He commented as he handed it to her.

Seohyun was slightly confused because she swore that it was closed when she had last touched it. However, with her failing memories, she shrugged it off while placing her bag over her shoulder. 

They linked hands one last time, watching each finger entwine with each other, before Seohyun slowly pulled out of it, and walked away. Looking over her shoulders, one last time, she waved at him and watched as he waved back, and with that she mentally dragged herself out of the picture.

 

Within seconds after their separation, each of them received a text:

 

If you would like to continue your relationship, enter your personal number to allow contact between one another within 30 minutes. It takes two to continue but one to break it off. Good luck and have fun ^^

Thank you for your participation in MNET Scandal.

--

Seohyun sighed as tears were fighting to come out but she refused to show any emotions, knowing that there was a camera man following her around somewhere. Her heart felt heavy. Thoughts ran wild in her mind as she started her last text.

 

Would he even contact me?

Or is this really just an unrequited feeling?

 

It hurt. Her heart hurt. However, she swallowed the pain as she continued with her text. She let out a laugh in an attempt to alleviate herself but to no avail. It hurt, nonetheless. 

--

Myungsoo flipped his phone open and closed it right after, looking out the window of his van with his arm propped against the window and his head laying on his hand. He scratched his head, hating the fact that he can't do anything. It wasn't his choice anymore. All he could say is the generic, I had fun, thanks for the memories. 

He held his hands in a fist and gripped tightly, to the point where his nails almost dug into his hand. It was a devastating feeling, yet he can't even show it. Everything is on camera and he can't be the one to be angry and let it out. Manager hyung was concerned but even he was told not to interfere with the whole thing so he stayed silent while driving. 

 

There was only five minutes left for either of them to say something. However, neither side budged. 

 

I guess...you're not texting me back. Smart choice...because I can only hurt you this time...

 

Myungsoo thought as he continued to look out the window. However, as if on cue, a text came in.

 

Son of the Devil...

 

His hands shook as he checked his last text from her. However, his heart sank as he read through the content of her text. Knowing that she was a strong person, hating to admit her mistakes nor her feelings, it hurt him the more to see her do this even in her last text to him. They were basically playing fire with fire, which only causes a bigger fire...

 

With that, he only sent what he was instructed to send. 

 

--

LAST TEXT INTERMISSION:

 

From Babo Bear:

I'll cherish the past seven days. Thank you for everything.

Myungsoo oppa, I'll support you and Infinite to the end,

so don't ever lose that signature smirk and that heart-melting

smile :) Fighting to the end!

 

From L-ove oppa:

The past seven days was amazing. I will always cherish them.

Thanks for the memories and good luck with your future endeavors.

I do look forward to seeing you again someday, at a different setting...

For now, I'll take these to heart. Thanks

 

--

And with that, the show ended at the end of their thirty minutes.

 

All in all, in the end, both of them could only share the same thought, however with different context.

Kim Seohyun, the average fan who believed that everything was just purely for show.

Kim Myungsoo (L), the celebrity who was forced to end it:

 

It doesn't matter if we really were in love or not, because in the end, it's just for show.

 


And that is the end of MNET Scandal.

Please stay around for the epilogue which will be updated soon. Thanks!