-

Father and Son Bonding

 

"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" You let out a groan when your son dropped all the toys he was picking up and ran to the front door. "Junhyun!", you called out, "Come on!"
You had just convinced him to clean up his toys, throwing in that you'd help him and it almost worked too. "Where's my big boy?" You heard Sungjun's happy voice echo through the house and Junhyun giggle. You sighed and picked up the rest of his toys, stuffing them inside his toy chest. "Daddy, legos!" Before you could react the little boy ran straight into you and opened his toy chest again. "Ugh." You gave up and fell onto the loveseat behind you, your hair falling over your eyes.
 
You heard a chuckle and then felt his hand move the hair from your face. "You okay?"
He smiled and plopped down next to you, wrapping his arms around your waist and tugging your upper body over his. "Sort of, the miniature you over there has been a handful today." He placed a kiss on your head and laced his fingers with yours. Junhyun tossed out stuffed animals, plastic cars, and dinosaurs trying to find his box filled with legos. You let out a growl, "You haven't taken your nap yet! I didn't want you to get fussy!" Sungjun chuckled and squeezed you tightly, "Let him play.", he whispered in your ear. 
 
Junhyun opened the box right away, dumping out all the little pieces. "Do you know the pain of stepping on one of those?" You looked up at him, widening your eyes, "It's like death but worse." He pecked your lips and smirked, "I'm sure it is.", he bought into your act. "Well you've never done it before cause I pick them all up before you get home.", you sulked some more. He nuzzled against your neck and you furrowed your brows, "Why are you home? It's noon." He shrugged, "We put off recording until tomorrow." You held back a smile and he hugged you tightly again while you watched your son start to put them together.
 
"You want me to take him for the day? So you can do whatever you want?" You went wide eyed and looked at him. "What?" Sungjun laughed and moved so he could face you. "I'll watch him today and you can have the place to yourself." You thought about it since it had been a while since you relaxed all by yourself. "I don't know...", you said softly. "Come on!", he pleaded, "You can nap or...read that book that's on the nightstand that you always attempt to open but never do." He got you on that one. Your face flushed and you both looked back to Junhyun who was no longer with his toys. "Oh gosh, Junhyun!" You stood up and ran around the house. 
 
When you turned the corner to the hallway he was walking back, holding a bouquet of flowers. "Momma!", he called out, "Momma!" You squatted down next to him and he smiled, showing you all his baby teeth. "Daddy bought them for you!" You felt Sungjun squat next to you and you took them from Junhyun. "He did?" The little boy nodded and you looked at your husband. "Trying to butter me up?" He laughed and smothered you in another hug. "We'll be leaving now, right Junnie?" Your son nodded and planted a kiss on your cheek. "Bye mommy!" You stood up and Sungjun nudged you towards the bedroom. "Go sleep or something, we'll be back later." He kissed you and pointed down the hall.
 
You looked at both of them and shook your head. "Please, please don't break anything in any stores and if Junhyun says he has to go, don't let him go in his pull-up. He's gotten real good at letting us know if he has to potty." Sungjun nodded, "Okay, I got it." You turned to walk away but stopped and looked at him again. "Oh, and he can't have peas, they've been making his tummy upset lately. And you know his favorite milk right-" Sungjun cut you off with a kiss, laughing when you slapped his arm. 
"Baby.", he cupped your face, "I got this. I'm his dad okay? I think I know my kid."
You sighed, it's not that you didn't think Sungjun wasn't a good father but there was always two of you. When one forgot something the other would be there, all ready and prepared. The one prepared was usually you but you knew he could handle his own son. "Alright.", you gave in, "I'm sorry." Without another word you went into the bedroom and shut the door.
 
Sungjun let out a breath and went to find Junhyun who was in the process of cleaning up his toys again. "Alright big guy, we're going to-sssshhh, effff." Sungjun felt the small piece of plastic dig into his foot when he stepped on it. You were right, he thought, it was like death stepping on one of those things. He hopped on one foot, giving a glare at Junhyun who was giggling hysterically. He slowly lowered his foot, avoiding any other of the pieces and sighed. "Okay, first things first, let's get you dressed."
They both walked into Junhyun's room and he walked into his closet. He unhook a plain white shirt and a small varsity navy and gray jacket. From the drawers he grabbed a pair of dark jeans and a pair of black socks. He got him into the clothes and they both quietly walked to the front door. 
 
He helped Junhyun put on his shoes and he tied his on as well. Junhyun let out a giggle when his dad grabbed the bag with an extra pair of clothes and snacks. "What?", he asked. "I look like you daddy!", he pointed to the hallway mirror. He was right, besides the color scheme he had dressed him just like him. Sungjun smiled, he couldn't believe his little boy was already two years old. He remembered the very second you both had left for the hospital, it was 2 AM and you were having contractions. You had yelled and him all the way there, complaining and saying that you hated him and all the while you expressed your pain the smile never left his face. "Yeah.", his voice cracked, "You do. Just like daddy."
 
 
 

 

 
The day was spent running back and forth from the park to the ice cream stand. Junhyun did mention that you didn't like him eating sweets before actually having food but Sungjun said it would be their secret. He drove down to the toy store, knowing well that you would probably get mad about it later but he would just charm his way out of that one too. Junhyun went crazy. He immediately went for the musical kind of toys, the one's that made a lot of noise. Sungjun smiled when he saw him grab a little keyboard with a small chunky microphone attached to it. "This one daddy!", he handed him the toy with his chubby little hands. 
 
Before he could ask him if he was sure Junhyun spoke up. "I wanna make music like you daddy.", he grinned, "Mommy likes your musics, she hears them all the time. I wanna make mommy a music too!" Sungjun felt so much at that moment, he even felt himself tear up. "You mean you want to make mommy a song.", he corrected him, ruffling his hair lovingly. "Oh.", the little boy blinked, "A song.", he repeated the word. Junhyun sat down on the floor and the toy to test drive it. He pressed the different buttons, hearing all the pre-recorded beats that it had. He grabbed the microphone and let out a string of words, ending it with a few 'la la la's. Sungjun grinned from ear to ear and Junhyun handed him the toy. "This one."
 
In the car Junhyun's fingers twitched while he looked at the bag from the toy store. Sungjun said to wait until they got home and he could tear into it but he didn't know when exactly they would be heading home. "You hungry little man?", he looked at him through the rearview mirror. Junhyun nodded happily and Sungjun frowned, "Take that thumb out of your mouth.", he sang at him. Junhyun pouted and reluctantly removed his thumb and folded his hands over his lap. "We'll go and eat, go kill some more time and maybe bug your uncles, and pick some food up for mommy." Junhyun clapped at the mention of his dad's friends and giggled.
 
Sungjun parked the car and unbuckled Junhyun from his carseat. He balanced him on his hip and Junhyun wrapped his arms around his father's neck. Once inside he sat him down across from him at the table. Junhyun crossed his legs under the table and grabbed the spoon in front of him. Sungjun looked at the menu that was tacked up on the wall. "Meat!", the little boy smiled sheepishly at him. He chuckled and called out his order, bowing his head at the people behind the counter. After a few minutes they brought over all the side dishes, the lettuce leaves, and the cuts of meat. Sungjun the small grill plate and waited for it to heat up before putting the long strips of meat on to cook.
 
Junhyun watched his father cut the strips into small pieces and setting them aside so they could cool for him. He grabbed a lettuce leaf and Junhyun got up and waddled over to him, plopping down in his lap. Sungjun smiled and he gave him a small piece of kimchi to munch on while he made the wrap for him. "Ahh.", Sungjun sang and motioned for him to open his mouth. He fed him and laughed when he tried to eat it all in one bite. "Little by little.", he said softly, "Chew before swallowing." The little boy took small bites and then put the lettuce roll to his father's mouth. "Eat, daddy.", he urged, mouth full of food. 
 
They ate until they were completely full. Junhyun yawned and looked up at his dad. "Carry me please.", he hugged him and leaned his head on his shoulder. Sungjun paid, having some trouble taking out his wallet with the toddler in his arms. When he buckled him into his car seat he was already asleep. He checked his phone, a little surprised that you hadn't called to check up on them. The car and he drove back to the studio, knowing well that guys would still be there. Halfway there Junhyun woke up. "Uhm...Daddy?", he craned his neck up so he could see him. "Yeah?", Sungjun looked at the rearview.
 
"Uhm...I have to...I have to go potty.", he blinked and put his knees together.
Sungjun's eyes widened, "Oh...oh crap." He looked at the street he was on and tapped the steering wheel. "Okay, ho...hold on." The car was parked hastily and he quickly ran into a convenience store, carrying Junhyun. "Excuse me! Excuse me!", he grunted while he weaved around the people. He waited outside the stall with his fingers crossed, hoping that he had made it. The toilet flushed and Junhyun came out, "I DID IT!", he said proudly. Sungjun picked him up and tossed him in the air, "That's my boy!", he grinned. "I did it daddy!", Junhyun giggled. "You sure did!", he kissed his forehead. 
Junhyun touched his dad's face and Sungjun groaned, "You should probably wash your hands."
 
They made it to the studio, with Junhyun boasting about using the bathroom all on his own. He showed them his new toy and played around with Bogil. Sungjun watched him with admiration, he never really saw it until now but you were right. Junhyun looked just like him when he was little, even down to the way he chewed his food. When he picked that toy over all the others he knew how much his son looked up to him. They stayed there until the sun went down. On the way back home they stopped at your favorite place to eat, ordered your favorite food, and took it to go. 
 
Sungjun opened the door and tried to balance your son in one arm and the food in the other while trying to take off his shoes. From the hallway he saw you sitting on the couch and he held back a laugh. You were asleep, the broom leaning on the table next to you and the book you were going to read open and sitting on your stomach. He walked over quietly and chuckled, "I guess mommy had an okay day." Junhyun stirred in his arms and he rubbed his eyes, the vision of his mother clearing up in front of him. He whimpered and opened his arms out, asking to be given to her. Sungjun put him down next to you and removed the book, letting him lay his head in your lap.
 
Your eyes opened and you felt Sungjun lean down to cup your cheek. "Have a good day?", he murmured against your skin. You chuckled and stretched out your arms, giving him a kiss on the lips. "It was okay.", you looked at your lap and saw Junhyun sleeping. "Aw.", you cooed, "Did you have fun today?" Sungjun showed you the food he had gotten and you gaped at him. "Ohhhh, I love you.", you smiled cheekily. He chuckled and brought the coffee table closer so you could eat. 
 
While you ate you saw the toy store bag and sighed. "He tricked me into going there?", Sungjun smiled guiltily. "I bet." You shook your head, "What'd you buy him?" He opened it and pulled out the toy. "Aw.", you ruffled your sleeping child's hair. "Just like his daddy." Sungjun chuckled and got up, "I'll take him to his room." He scooped him up in his arms and you stood up to kiss Junhyun's forehead, "I love you baby.", you poked his small nose. 
 
Sungjun took off his little shoes and jacket. He grabbed his pajamas and changed him, trying not to move him around too much. The new toy was put into his cubby, knowing well that that's where he kept his favorite toys. "Daddy?", Junhyun called out softly.
Sungjun sat on the edge of the bed and he ran his hand along his hair. "You okay?"
He nodded sleepily, "Did...", he yawned, "Did mommy have a good day?" He smiled, "Yeah, mommy had a good day. She says she loves you very much." Junhyun his side and yawned again, "I love mommy too.", he shut his eyes.
"I love you too daddy.", his mouth stayed opened a little and Sungjun knew he had fallen asleep again. He pulled up the blanket to his neck and kissed his forehead
"Daddy loves you too."