71

Forbidden Boys

Eunbi was getting tired of running and she was mentally exhausted after having spent two days on the run. It was becoming so difficult she was considering the thought of going back home. Sehun on the other hand showed no such signs. He seemed to take it all with ease, like them being on the run was no big deal. Money was luckily no problem yet, but it would be in a few days. And as a way to cut down the expenses, they’d checked in at a cheap motel in Itaewon. It was far from an ideal solution. But necessary if they were going to keep the costs down. It made it easier to stay hidden as well.

 

Living like this and always having to look over their shoulders didn’t work. And as much as Eunbi loved him, she also knew that they would have to go back home some day. None of them had any source of income. Both of them were underage, though Sehun turned nineteen in two months. And they both had school. It was unfortunate and unfair to say the least, and Eunbi wished their parents could have been a bit more understanding.

 

“What’s got you so deep in thought?” She was taken aback for a second and watched as he emerged from the bathroom. His hair was dripping wet and she could see several waterdrops crash against the floor as he made his way over to where she sat on the bed. Eunbi refused to meet his gaze though, and instead pushed her way past him and headed for the bathroom herself. A sigh of relief slipped from her lips once she’d locked the door. She needed some time alone to think, to figure out what she was supposed to do because they couldn’t be on the run forever. Stuff like that was only possible in books and movies. Not in real life.

 

“Eunbi?” Sehun wasn’t sure what’d happened to make her react like that. But it made him worried. More so since she’d never pushed him away before. And to further increase the uneasy feeling he had, she didn’t answer. It was completely silent from her side, which made him knock on the door. Nothing. Eunbi didn’t say anything and it bothered him. His worry grew tenfold when he heard how she sobbed.

 

“Open the door.” He pulled at the door handle so hard the door creaked.

 

“I think we need to go back home.” Having to admit they wouldn’t be able to continue like this was hard. Even more so since Eunbi knew their parents would separate them. But being teenagers in high school and without any source of income gave them no other choice. It was one of those moments were every solution meant having to give up something important. If she stayed with Sehun the two of them would most likely not be able to continue school. They would have to be on the run from their parents until she turned nineteen. On the other hand. If they returned home, she would have to give up her relationship with Sehun. But in return, she’d get to finish high school and live without thinking about money. This was a decision Eunbi were forced to make and she hated it. Hated that she would have to give up either school or Sehun.

 

“What? You can’t be serious. You know what will happen if we go back. They’ll separate us and you will be sent away, again.” Sehun refused. He couldn’t allow her to go back. It didn’t matter what they would have to do. But one thing was certain. He would not let their parents get in their way because they’d already destroyed too much.

 

“But there’s nothing else we can do. We depend on them to live. They are the ones who feed us, who give us a roof over our heads. We would have none of that if we were to leave.” Eunbi realized then, that love was not enough to survive. She’d always thought, in a somewhat innocent dreamy way that love would be enough. That money could come second. Reality was different though, for money was what put food on the table and a roof over your head. Love did not.

 

“Don’t do that. Don’t try to reason yourself into believing we can’t work this out.” If only it was that easy. But it wasn’t and Eunbi came to the conclusion that this needed to end. Sehun too, must have understood by then that this couldn’t go on. The only difference was that she’d accepted it, something he hadn’t done. And as much as she wanted them to be together, she still had to look out for herself. Eunbi could not give up on everything she’s worked for just to be with him. A painful truth considering Sehun was the only person she ever wanted to be with. There was something even more painful though. Having to tell Sehun. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she thought about it, about how devastated he might be. Eunbi felt like a coward for turning her back on him after all he’s done.

 

“Dammit Eunbi. Open the door.” He’d barely finished speaking before the lock clicked and the door was pushed open. Eunbi’s tear stricken face met him as she stepped out and he latched onto her wrist in hope that she would look at him. She didn’t. Instead her gaze was fixed on her bag standing next to the bed. All she needed now was to persuade Sehun into follow her back home. A task Eunbi figured would be hard. Something she hadn’t expected however, was how difficult it actually were to tell him the truth. It’d seemed a lot easier in her head.

 

“We should go home. We can’t hide like this any longer. At least I can’t. I love you and I’m sorry for this. But I can’t take this anymore. I need to go back and I understand if that upsets you.” Eunbi didn’t dare look at him whilst she spoke and it became obvious that he hadn’t expected that, for his grip loosened and he stepped back, as if offended by her words. She felt bad. But saw no other option than to return. That Sehun reacted as such made her wonder though, as to what he thought they would do. Did he really think they could continue on like runaways? Somehow she believed he understood the harsh reality, understood that this was not a comfortable way of living. Then again. She also understood him, and the fact that he wanted to hold on to the belief that they could live together. That their parents didn’t matter. It wasn’t that easy unfortunately, and Eunbi reached for her backpack before she slung it on her back and glanced up at Sehun. His expression teared at her heart. Made her question if the decision she’d taken was right.

 

“I’m going n -.” Eunbi had just her heel and stood with her back facing him when he interrupted.

 

“You’re really going to leave? You are going to go back there despite knowing you’ll be sent away? Have you even thought about me, about us?” Sehun tried his very best to not raise his voice, to not get angry and upset. But that didn’t hinder his voice from breaking and he stuttered when his emotions got the better of him. Sehun found himself perplexed by the unexpected situation for he’d thought she would be stronger than this. The Eunbi who went against her own mother and stood up for herself was no longer present. Instead she’d returned to her usual ways. Oppressed by her mother.

 

“Of course I have. But what else do you expect me to do? I’m tied between the options and I’ll lose something no matter which I choose. The only difference is what I lose. School or you. And as much as I love you, I don’t think I could give up my education.” The bitter truth was as such. Eunbi wanted no more than to choose him. But going by your heart didn’t always work. Sometimes you had to think logically, and that’s what she was trying to do.

 

“What about your promise to never leave me?” Sehun could only do so much to keep her from leaving. And he knew he was a fool for thinking they could go on like this. He’d already known that a day like this would come. A day when Eunbi realized their love wasn’t enough to survive on. It’d been a stupid thing from the start and Sehun wondered if he could have made things different. Maybe if he hadn’t confessed and outed his feelings for her. None of this would have taken place then, if he’d kept his emotions to himself.


“I’m sorry.” Eunbi whispered before she disappeared out the door with tears streaming down her cheeks. She knew this would change everything. Their relationship especially. But Eunbi hoped he could find it in his heart to forgive her.