6

Forbidden Boys

The whole family sat around the kitchen table a couple of hours later, eating dinner. Even Sehun had decided to show up, which was a first. He’d never before eaten together with the rest of them, mainly because he weren’t home during those times. “Could you stop staring.” Sehun’s voice cut her off and she blinked, slightly taken aback that he’d noticed. It was embarrassing and she cursed herself for not being cautious enough. But Eunbi couldn’t have the male thinking she was interested in him or anything he did, “I’m not.” with that she looked away and caught her mother’s gaze, one that was filled with curiosity and confusion. “Is something wrong?” without a second thought Eunbi shook her head, “no.” and luckily for her, Sehun remained quiet. “That’s a relief because I’m really interested in hearing about your first school day.” she tried to play it cool and not give away anything about the male whose name she still didn’t know. Luhan was the main reason for that, since he would probably pester her about it for days, maybe even weeks. But a foolish smile painted her lips anyway. “It was okay I guess.” unconsciously and without thought Eunbi gave Sehun a hasty glance, almost like she thought he would understand that she’d seen him head off to smoke.

“Well, maybe your day would’ve been better if you hadn’t showed up an hour late for school. Right?” Luhan added on, to which the girl paled. Her mother was incredibly strict about everything revolving school, and therefore did it come as no surprise when the woman began questioning what’d happened, “why didn’t you go together with Luhan like I said?” with a pulse that were constantly increasing Eunbi tried to think of a good reason as to why she dumped him and headed off on her own. The girl made up her mind pretty soon though, how she was going to make the older male suffer. “I did. But he ditched me and ran.” the tone of her voice and the way Eunbi stared down at the table would make it look and sound as if she was sad and disappointed. In other terms, make it as convincing as possible.

“What? It’s not true, you’re just making it up.” Luhan, taken aback by the words, blurted. He was furious at the sudden accusation since she’d been the one to leave herself. He had done absolutely nothing. “Luhan, I told you to behave and be nice,” tension arose around the table as their father continued, “and I’m getting really tired of your behaviour now. Why is it that you never listen or do anything you’re being told?” a thought crossed her mind after she’d spared Luhan a hurried glance, and whether it was instinct or something else Eunbi couldn’t know, but she were certain she would end up dead by the end of the night. “Honey. I think it’s okay. He probably knows he’s done wrong. Don’t you?” her mother directed the question for Luhan to answer, something he also did. But not without glaring right at Eunbi as he did, “yes.”

The dinner that’d started out peaceful and lighthearted had suddenly turned into a nightmare for the said girl, who feared the coming hours. That Luhan kept on sending her glares throughout the whole meal only added with the terror, and Eunbi darted upstairs as soon as she was done. The lock on her door clicked, something that reassured the girl a bit. But far from enough because Eunbi was still not relieved. How could she be when Luhan was known to behave as he desired. And to stay put in her room the whole evening and night would’ve worked if it hadn’t been for that she needed to use the bathroom. A problem Eunbi couldn’t just ignore. Well, the girl decided to wait nonetheless, at least until the house was silent.

It became pretty obvious soon though, how her plan wouldn’t work as a knock sounded and Luhan’s voice followed, “you’re not safe anywhere, you hear that?” Eunbi, disheartened and terrified, sat down on her bed. She understood now, why the truth was better than lies and how she could’ve avoided the situation if she hadn’t been so stupid. However, despite being frightened by the threat the girl tried to act brave, “aren’t you going too far?” Luhan, much to her dismay, laughed, “me?” he snorted, “I think you got this all wrong. I weren’t the one who made my father angry. You did.” still, it was pretty much his fault anyway, because none of it would’ve taken place if he hadn’t been so annoying. “Can’t you just shut up and leave me alone.” with that Eunbi buried herself beneath the blankets, only to then press the pillow over her head in a way to block out the world. She wanted to dissapear from there, to call it quits and move back to Daegu, a thought that’d crossed her mind more than once.

Eunbi fell asleep like that, only to, several hours later and due to her cell phone buzzing, be woken. The alarm she’d set was an indication that the clock had e am, and that she should be making her way over to the bathroom. A task Eunbi found considerably hard since she wanted no more than to turn around and continue sleeping. But once out of bed it got easier and the girl moved about with care, as to make sure no one suspected anything, especially Luhan whom she most definitely did not want to run into. Much to Eunbi’s relief did silence meet her ears when she creaked the bedroom door open, which in turn eased some of her worries. Not all of them, because she took a great risk by leaving her room, and therefore did she sprint towards the bathroom and its temporary safety.

Another problem surfaced a moment later though, as Eunbi stood in the shower and the water splashed against the tiled floor. It created a sound that could wake someone up, and it wouldn’t have surprised the said girl if Luhan awoke, not with the luck she’d experienced the previous weeks. Whether he actually woke up she couldn’t know, because Eunbi managed to use the bathroom, dress and return to her bedroom without running into Luhan. “I can’t believe I’m terrified being in my own home.” she clutched a hand over her heart, almost as if she thought it would help calm it down.

When morning rolled around Eunbi stayed put in her room until last minute, it even went so far her mother came knocking on the door, wondering why she wasn’t getting ready for school. “I am. I’m just correcting my homework.” one would think she should’ve told the truth, but she didn’t, not when it would’ve caused further trouble for her. “Okay. You’ll have to hurry though, because the boys are leaving now. I can tell them to wait if you want?” Eunbi shot the clock a quick glance before calculating that she had ten minutes to do whatever she needed, in other means, more than enough time to take care of everything necessary. “No, let them leave. I can get there on my own.” not that she thought Sehun would wait anyway, but that was beyond the point. “Okay sweetie. I’ll tell them that.” a sigh slipped from her lips once her mother disappeared down the staircase, as it meant no one was upstairs to bother Eunbi, who slipped out in the hallway and then locked herself inside the bathroom to get ready.

In difference to the previous day did she arrive to school in time, and Ahbin greeted the girl outside the gates before they walked together toward the majestic building standing in the middle. “Eunbi?” the other girl came to a halt, which in turn caused Eunbi to stop as well, “hm, what is it?” Ahbin scanned the surrounding area whilst fidgeting with the sleeve of her blazer, obviously hesitant, “actually, there’s this rumour going around. About you and Luhan.” a sudden feeling of shock washed over the girl, who stared with big eyes at Ahbin, “what? What’s the rumour about?” whatever it was it couldn’t be good. Nothing revolving Luhan was positive and she doubted this would be any different. “I’m only telling you what I’ve heard, okay?” there was a brief pause and to Eunbi it felt like the whole world had come to a stop. “You see, people think you’ve slept with each other.” she laughed, the whole idea of people actually believing such a ridiculous thing were so stupid it couldn’t be true. Everyone knew, though the two of them didn’t share the same bloodline, that they were step-siblings, someone who shouldn’t be indulging themselves in such a relationship. However, Ahbin’s worried expression remained and the laughter died out as Eunbi began to realize the situation, that it wasn’t a joke. And in the back of her mind did the pieces suddenly come together.

It became clear why he hadn’t made a move the previous night or during the morning. Of course he’d known she would’ve expected for something to take place, so instead had he changed tactics. Public embarrassment. Eunbi was, out of the two of them, the one who would suffer the most, not only because of his so-called fangirls, but also due to her personal nature and the fact that she despised attention. A rumour like that would definitely stir up emotions from students and teachers alike, and the one who benefitted from her despair was none other than Luhan.