26

Forbidden Boys

 

 

Waking up the next day was torture, because the pain were worse than it’d been the day before. Every part of her body throbbed and Eunbi groaned by the slightest of movements. And all she wanted was to go back to sleep, but even that seemed impossible as she couldn’t find a position that didn’t hurt. “Maybe you should stay home from school and rest.” Ahbin was sure not going to let her friend go to school in that state, “stay there. I’ll let my mother know.” Eunbi hummed in response all the whilst trying to sit up, a task harder said than done. It was painstakingly difficult and she gritted her teeth, hoping she wouldn’t scream. To sit was easier though, as her upper body had taken most of the damage. But to sit and sleep wasn’t going to work. So she tried to stand. A blood curdling scream tore from her chest as she straightened up, something that had both Ahbin and her mother rushing over to see what’d happened. “Eunbi dear, does it hurt so much?” she nodded without a second thought, feeling close to tears. “Ahbin can you go get some painkillers.” the other girl headed off, thus leaving Eunbi alone with the older woman, “I’m going to have to call your mother.” no. She didn’t want to go home. She didn’t want to see Sehun and Luhan relish in her suffering. But to beg Ahbin’s mother into letting her stay seemed wrong, and she kept quiet even as Ahbin returned with the painkillers, “here, take these.” two pills were handed over, ones Eunbi swallowed right away. “Stay here. I’m going to call her mother.”


“I can’t believe how no one realized what was happening.” Ahbin frowned, furious at the lack of help from teachers and school staff. “And seriously, if it’s revealed that Luhan’s the culprit behind all this, I’ll kill him.” Eunbi smiled at the thought, only to groan in discomfort as she moved too hastily. “Easy. We got three months to put something into action.” she’d almost forgotten about that little detail, that Luhan were graduating in three months time. But Eunbi couldn’t put all the blame on Luhan though, for she wasn’t sure he was behind it all. She had no proof whatsoever. “Yeah.”


Ten minutes later, Eunbi sat in the living room downstairs, dressed, waiting, and wondering what Ahbin’s mother and her own talked about. Three days, was that it? Would she have to go back there again because of this? If so, what were going to happen? Had her mother even spoken to their father? And as if that wasn’t bad enough, her mother suddenly called. But instead of answering she let it go to voicemail. The woman continued to call however, for several minutes and Eunbi needed an end to it. “What?” there was no gentleness to her voice for the gruesome pain took care of that. Or maybe it was the fact that she were talking to her mother, someone who hadn’t contacted her in three days. “Ahbin’s mother called me. She told me you’ve hurt yourself.” so it was time to care now. “No mom. I’m injured because other people thought it would be fun to hurt me. Not because I hurt myself.” there were no hiding it now. The previous day’s bullying was out in the open and Eunbi could only wait for a reply. The one she received however, wasn’t the one she’d expected to hear. “I’m at work right now. But I’ll send a taxi to come pick you up.” she’d clearly said she’d been bullied and yet nothing. Her mother didn’t react the slightest and Eunbi realized then, how none of it mattered. How everything she said or did would be overshadowed by something else. Just like it’d always done.


“Great mom, just great,” her sarcastic tone was obvious, “did you even talk to their father?” she paid no attention to her manners, it wasn’t like it made any difference either how. Plus, why should Eunbi be respectful when her own mother couldn’t mend for her daughter’s necessities. When the girl’s safety and wellbeing was at stake. “Yes. He said he’ll talk to them.” that could mean anything. And with the previous lack of care and surveillance, Eunbi felt hesitant. The two males had no moral or sympathy for others, something their father should’ve made sure to teach them. And now he was going to discipline them. Could it get anymore pathetic? “Mom, you should talk to them?” Eunbi knew her mother could be real strict, which seemed to be the only way for them to learn. Then again, the woman wasn’t their real mother and that in itself could spark unwanted reactions. “Honey let’s talk later, I don’t have time for this right now.” of course. There was never time for anything. “But they’re not going to change.” I bet they won’t even listen to him, was something Eunbi wanted to add, but was interrupted by her mother, who said she needed to go and repeated she would send a taxi to come pick the girl up.


Fed up by anger, Eunbi was more determined than ever. She was not going home. Not until the two adults did something about Luhan and Sehun, made them realize how bad they’d hurt her and how they needed to start treating her with respect. To take the train in her state, with the countless amount of bruises and pain so strong she wanted to lay down and die, was going to be hard. Still. It was better than having to return back to that hellhole she’d called home. Standing up, she made her way up the staircase and back into Ahbin’s bedroom. The other girl was already dressed in her school uniform and were getting ready for school.


“Ahbin?” she was yet again cut short, this time by Ahbin’s mother, who showed up in the doorway, and thereby had Eunbi shifting her attention to the older woman, “there you are. I thought you were downstairs.” no, not anymore. “I talked to your mother. She said she was at work, but promised to send a taxi to come pick you up.” a short moment of silence followed for the information was nothing new. It was kind of ridiculous in a way, how she’d hoped for some kind of miracle. That her own mother would take the problems more seriously. “Mom, don’t you think it’s better if Eunbi stayed here?” Ahbin stated with a disapproving expression, not liking the fact that her best friend would have to be sent back to that place. “Honey. I think it’s best if Eunbi got treatment at home, where she’d be surrounded by her own family. Don’t you think?” Ahbin was quick to retort, for once not agreeing with her mother, “no. They d -,” Eunbi had to intervene, she didn’t want more people to know about the troubled situation, “it’s okay. I’ll go home.” she gave her friend a smile, thus reassuring Ahbin it was alright.


Her destination wasn’t going to be the home in Seoul though, but somewhere completely else. And Eunbi made sure to be quick once Ahbin’s mother left, hurrying about to shove down all her stuff back into her bag, even though she was reminded of the pain every second. It wasn’t as bad as earlier, mainly because of the painkillers she’d taken. But it was still noticeable and she found herself groan as she slipped the bag onto her back. “Could I borrow some money?” Eunbi hated asking, more so as she didn’t know when she would be able to pay back. Though, without money she wouldn’t be able to buy a ticket, one that would take her back to Daegu and her grandmother. “Money? Yeah, sure. Just...” Ahbin paused, slightly confused but nonetheless willing to lend Eunbi money, before asking, “how much do you need?”


The taxi arrived a few moments later, and the two girls said their goodbyes, “I’m sorry you have to go.” Ahbin sulked, she’d liked having her best friend sleeping over, even if it’d ended badly. “But I’ll call you after school. Okay?” Eunbi felt bad about not revealing the truth as to why she needed the money, especially since Ahbin was her friend. Her one and only friend to be precise. And the guilt was one she tried to ignore, but couldn’t. “I’m going somewhere. But you can’t tell anyone.” she wanted it to be unknown, at least until she’d managed to get back to Daegu, for it gave Eunbi some advantage, and hopefully made her mother understand how desperate she needed a change. “Is that why you needed the money? To run away again?” it was only a temporary solution. She was coming back, something Eunbi was certain her mother would make sure of. “Something like that. Bu -” the taxi driver honked, obviously frustrated about having to wait, and Eunbi took it as a cue to leave, “I should go,” to run seemed to be the only way she would be taken seriously, “see you soon.” and from this point onwards, Eunbi wouldn’t let Luhan or Sehun push her around anymore.

~~~~

Crappy chapter. Next one will be better.