23

Forbidden Boys

 

 

Eunbi sat at her desk, counting down the seconds of the last mid-term test. It’d been a few intense days with immense pressure, complaining students and teachers demanding good results. It was not a matter about wishing the students good luck, but a requirement. Then again, the school lived on the students and their results. Eunbi felt rather calm though, for she’d studied intensely, something she knew two other students hadn’t. Sehun and Luhan. At least not that she’d seen. People around her groaned a moment later, when the bell rang, thus indicating the end of the test and schoolday. Eunbi on the other hand, got up from her seat, headed over to the teacher in charge, and with both relief and nervosity, handed in her papers.

 

Ahbin greeted her in the hallway once she’d managed to leave her homeroom. The other girl smiled, latched onto Eunbi’s arm, and dragged her along, “let’s go celebrate.” a quiet and calm evening seemed impossible now, especially since Ahbin usually didn’t take no for an answer. “Where do you wanna go? Norebang?” she nodded, she weren’t too excited about going out. Not after a whole week of tests, tests, and more tests. All that changed though, once her friend asked whether it would be alright to bring Yixing and Kai, too. “There more the merrier, right?” Ahbin spoke with such enthusiasm that Eunbi began to question if something else was going on. “Come. They should be done now too.” and so they headed down to the first floor and the classrooms the seniors occupied.  

 

Students filled the corridors, the more part of them eager to get out of there. But the overwhelming amount of students caused them to bump into people. One of them being Luhan, who immediately glanced at their intertwined hands, “is that why you didn’t consider my offer? Because you’re playing for the other team.” why was it that he always succeeded in getting her riled up and annoyed? “Get lost. We don’t have time for you.” that was one of the many things Eunbi liked about Ahbin, how she wouldn’t hesitate to speak her mind. Luhan though, ignored the other girl, whom he thought was irritating and in the way, and solemnly focused on Eunbi. “Is that so?” his let his gaze bore into hers, “then correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t your mother want you home directly after school finished?” damn him, why did he have to remind of that? Still, Eunbi made no attempt to listen to the older male, “no. I don’t remember her saying anything like that.” Luhan however, wouldn’t let the matter slip so easily, and therefore continued, “oh but I do and -” the other girl, much to his irritation, cut him off in the middle of the sentence, “are you deaf? She said no.” he wasn’t happy about being interrupted like that, but it was nothing in comparison to how furious he got when they, after Ahbin gave him the middle finger, shoved past him and headed down the corridor.

 

Eunbi’s pulse raced as the images of the situation replayed over and over again inside her head. It’d been thrilling to see Luhan so taken aback, more so since Ahbin had been the one to piss him off. “I can’t believe you just did that.” all of a sudden she felt happier and a lot more energized. Not even the fact that he might take revenge bothered her quite as much as it probably should've. “He’s so full of himself it's ridiculous.” she couldn’t help but to agree. The older male sure acted as if he was some godsend gift to the people around him, like he stood above anyone and everyone. “Let’s find Yixing and Kai now.” right, they were also supposed to be there somewhere. Eunbi didn’t know exactly where though, since the first floor was mostly reserved for the seniors.

 

It took them longer than expected to find the two males, whom they found farthest down the corridor, chatting with another boy Eunbi couldn’t recognize. “There you are. We’ve been looking all over for you.” Ahbin spoke and hurried forward, mainly towards Yixing, who immediately smiled at their arrival. “Oppa, did you do well?” Eunbi retreated back, and as a result, Ahbin’s hand slipped from hers. The other girl didn’t seem to notice though, as her attention was on Yixing and Yixing only. It would be a lie if Eunbi said she weren’t jealous, because she was. To say it aloud wasn’t an option, it wouldn’t be fair. Not when she saw how much Ahbin seemed to like him. Instead the girl moved and stood next to Kai and the other unfamiliar boy.

 

“You okay?” Kai asked, to which she nodded, “I’m fine. A bit tired.” whether he was fooled by her attempt to mask her jealousy she couldn’t know, for he let the matter pass and was about to change subject when his friend coughed, thus implying that he wanted to be introduced. “Right.” Kai let out a laugh, turned to his friend, and slung an arm around the taller male’s neck, “Eunbi, this is Tao. Tao this is Eunbi.” she bowed her head, a flush becoming evident as the male gave her a dazzling smile. “You’re cute.” Eunbi’s blush deepened. The girl was so embarrassed by Tao’s words that she glanced over and seeked Ahbin’s gaze. The reaction from the other girl wasn’t what she expected, and Eunbi felt her heart palpitate as Ahbin gave her thumbs up, like she approved of Tao. Sure, he was handsome and seemed nice. But she had her eyes set on someone else, someone who she’d already formed a crush on. “Why don’t you come with us? We’re going to a norebang to celebrate.” Ahbin directed the question at Tao, who, much to Eunbi’s shock and slight uneasiness, glanced her way and then back at Ahbin, “yeah, why not.”

 

The bus ride to Hongdae was filled with stories and laughter. The most remarkable were of course Yixing’s, and how incredibly cute he looked when he smiled. “Eunbi don’t you have any story to tell?” she shook her head, she had absolutely nothing of value to say. “Awh come on. There has to be something. I mean, you’re living under the same roof as the infamous Oh brothers.” they might be mean and cruel. But Eunbi couldn’t go around revealing stuff to people. “You’re living in the same house as Luhan and Sehun?” Tao made it pretty obvious by his outburst that he hadn’t expected to hear that. “Yeah.” she hoped no further questions would be asked and that the conversation could move on.

 

It didn’t, and Eunbi listened as Tao pressed on, “isn’t it tough?” incredibly. “Sometimes.” just let it go. Please. Luckily Kai decided to cut in, and thereby shifted the conversation over to himself and the upcoming winter break in a month and a half, “anyone have any plans for winter break?” there were a few yes and equally as many noes, and then there were Ahbin, who spoke with eagerness, “my family is going to spend two weeks in Hokkaido.” and from there it sort of escalated with Ahbin telling everyone about her family’s trips to different locations all around the world. Paris, New York, Madrid, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo. The list seemed endless and Eunbi was once again jealous of Ahbin, for she herself hadn’t even crossed the country line. Her own family had never been able to afford vacations overseas. Whether that would change now, after they’d moved in with Luhan, Sehun and their father, she couldn’t know. But Eunbi could hope.

 

The first norebang they went to were full, which had them moving on to another one a few hundred meters down the same street. “Isn’t that Sehun?” Eunbi reacted in an instant, and glanced in the direction of where Ahbin was looking. And true that, the person in question was none other than Sehun, who she saw slip inside a bar. “How can he be let inside?” because he has a fake ID. “Don’t know. Don’t care.” she kept on walking, not caring whether the other four wanted further answers. She hadn’t followed with only to have to talk about Sehun. “Wait up.” Ahbin came running, grabbed onto Eunbi’s hand, and leaned her head against the girl’s shoulder, “sorry. I know you don’t like talking about them.” the other girl pouted, thus making sure to use her aegyo. “Forgive me. Please.” Ahbin pulled at her arm and Eunbi felt laughter bubble up within, she found the sight of her friend’s aegyo hilarious. “I forgive you, but only if you pay for the snacks.” Eunbi had barely managed to finish the sentence that were supposed to be a joke, before Ahbin slung her arms around Eunbi’s waist, “anything for my honey.” they both laughed at the cringeworthy words, and then left to meet up with the boys.

 

Eunbi slumped down in the couch as soon as they stepped inside the karaoke room. Ahbin on the other hand, ordered in snacks and soft drinks. The three males took a seat in the sofa as well, and Eunbi felt her heart rate increase when she noticed how Yixing placed himself down on her left. “I didn’t know you were into this.” he spoke to her, he actually said something to her. “It’s okay, I guess.” she weren’t an avid norebang visitor. In fact, Eunbi could only remember about two or three times she’d visited one, and that was back in Daegu with some of her old classmates from middle school. There hadn’t been much time for such things though, for her mother thought playing around were unnecessary and instead pressed at how studying were much more important. Eunbi couldn’t disagree for she knew her mother was right. It was important, especially for her own future.

 

“You should see Yixing. He’s the best when it comes to karaoke.” Ahbin declared, only to earn disapproving voices from Kai and Tao alike, “yah, that’s because you’re biased.” a playful fight broke out between Ahbin, Kai and Tao. They were fighting over who had the best voice, and Eunbi watched, amused, as it reached a stage where they began to insult one another. “You sound like a dying whale.” a few oh’s and ah’s were heard and Kai was not late to retort, “oh really? I bet I sound better than you.” it might’ve been all play, but neither Kai nor Ahbin would give in, especially not the latter, who replied, “let’s do it then. You and me. A battle of karaoke.” Eunbi wasn’t sure what she’d expected, but definitely not a norebang battle. “The loser pays everything.” the deal was one they both agreed on. And it didn’t take long before they stood there, a mic in hand and singing to their full capacity.

 

“Haha, er.” Ahbin smiled in victory whilst Kai sported a frown, “whatever. I’m still better than you at swimming.” his statement was of no importance to Ahbin, who walked over to the couch and placed herself down on Eunbi’s right side. “Aren’t I awesome?” confidence wasn’t anything Ahbin lacked, something the girl found herself admire. “Yeah, yeah. We know you’re awesome.” Kai sighed, gave Ahbin a quick glance, and then looked at Eunbi, “sing?” she didn’t want to embarrass herself in front of Yixing, not with her horrid voice, and therefore shook her head.

 

“Come on. It’ll be fun.” Kai encourage her further, “Yixing why don’t you sing with Eunbi?” what? No. That would only be more humiliating. Much to her surprise however, he stood up and went to grab a microphone, “Do you want to pick song?” the girl shook her head once again, she wouldn’t know what to choose, and instead let him do that. His choice though, caused everyone to burst out laughing. But it didn’t take long before they, too, began to sing along to the lyrics of Girls’ Generation’s Oh. It was three minutes filled with everything from Eunbi singing so low she would be able to hear Yixing’s sweet voice, to Ahbin dancing along to the beats, and the other two boys making up their own lyrics. The scene of them having so much fun had her stomach and wellbeing flutter in delight. A moment like that was hard to come by, and Eunbi were looking forward to what else the evening had to offer.

 

Time flew by, the hours ticking on aimlessly and without even knowing it, the clock had already turned past eleven pm. Time flies when you’re having fun. The idiom couldn’t be more correct. They were all so absorbed in the singing and dancing that none of them cared for how much the clock hit. Not even Eunbi payed attention to it, which was unusual but nonetheless a relief. In fact, the person who brought it up was none other than Ahbin, who let out a small shriek upon noticing what time it was, “my parents are going to kill me.” they all fell silent, the only sound heard was the beats of SPICA’s Russian Roulette. The outburst had Eunbi reacting as well, and she felt an overwhelming uneasiness making itself known within. She’d never been allowed to be out after ten. There’d been a few exceptions though, if it was school related. What made it even more special was her mother’s words from earlier that morning, how she should be home right after school ended. Eunbi hadn’t listened and instead went with Ahbin and the others’, something that would be impossible to talk away. More so since Luhan knew. He’d reminded her in the hallway, only a few minutes after school was over. An ordeal he most probably were going to tell her mother about. “I also need to go.”

 

Eunbi was first to leave, but only after she’d given Ahbin a tight hug and promised to call if she wanted to do something during the weekend. The three males received a few, hurried goodbyes before she headed out and began to make way to the closest bus stop. The short trip there should’ve been quick, no more than a few minutes. But she found herself come to a halt when she spotted a certain male lean against the wall of the bar the older male went inside several hours earlier. He wasn’t exactly subtle in his attempts to flirt with the girls passing him by. The more part of them gave him seductive smiles and suggestive looks, ones he were not late to repay with a smirk. It irritated Eunbi, and at the same time made her wonder whether it was something he did on a regular basis. Not that any of it mattered to her. Heck, they weren’t even siblings for real, and he was sure not her responsibility. Still. The sight of Sehun and his lack of self respect had the girl moving over to him.


Sehun couldn’t hide his surprise as the younger girl walked up to him. “What are you doing here?” his reaction was somewhat expected, and she scowled at him when he grabbed a hold arund her wrist and pulled her away from the bar. “You can’t be here.” his words were met with deaf ears from Eunbi’s side, who retorted, “why not?” they’d come to a stop a bit further down the same street, and thereby out of sight from the bar. “Because you can’t.” he couldn’t have her asking questions. Not around those people. “Why should I listen to you?” he’d already made her life considerably harder ever since the ordeal with the tv. “Sehun.” a male voice boomed from afar and Eunbi glanced up at the male before her, fear lingering in the pit of her stomach, “what’s going on? What are you up to?” Sehun panicked, he knew it wouldn’t be good if they saw the younger girl with him. “Just leave.” he scared her. It was the first time she was truly scared by him. “NOW.” Eunbi felt her pulse skyrocket at his outburst, but said nothing, only nodded and left.