hyunsoo/kyungsik

Oneshot Requests

 

“But we have an early schedule tomorrow,” Junmyeon says, brows furrowing together in confusion. “Are you sure you want to go?”

Kyungsoo smiles warmly, shrugging into his jacket. “I won’t be out late, hyung,” he assures his leader. “I’ll only be gone a short while. You guys go on to bed without me.” And he leaves, ignoring the looks they all send his way.

It’s true that it’s not like Kyungsoo to put personal things before the well-being of the group. He is a true team player and has always been known as such. But this is different. This is the first time in over six months that both he and Hyunsik have the same evening off. Hyunsik comes before everything, even the group.

Hyunsik is already at the coffee shop when Kyungsoo walks in. They’ve chosen this out of the way place because it’s not very crowded so late at night. Hyunsik is the only person there besides the bored-looking guy behind the counter, reading a magazine. Hyunsik smiles and waves the other over, and Kyungsoo’s face splits into a broad grin as he slides into the booth opposite his old friend.

“It’s so good to see you,” Hyunsik beams, leaning across the table to connect their lips briefly. “I saw your new haircut on the cover of a magazine, but it looks much better in person.”

Kyungsoo blushes cutely. “Thanks,” he says. “You’re looking well too, hyung. How have you been?”

“Busy,” Hyunsik laughs dryly. “I feel like I haven’t had a free minute in ages. There’s always a schedule.”

“I know how that feels,” Kyungsoo agrees, also laughing.

“It’s not that I don’t like it,” Hyunsik is quick to assure him. “This has been our dream for years. I can’t believe that we’re finally living it.”

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo agrees, though he can’t help but feel a small pang of sadness and regret. It’s because of how they’re living this dream that they have lost another important dream.

Hyunsik seems to know exactly where his mind is going because he smiles a bit sadly and reaches across the table to take Kyungsoo’s hand. “Do you regret it?” he asks softly, giving the hand in his a reassuring squeeze. “Our decision?”

“Sometimes,” Kyungsoo answers honestly. “I love my job and I love being able to perform in front of thousands of people and it’s a dream come true, it really is. But sometimes it gets lonely. Sometimes all I want is for you to be there.”

Hyunsik has to look down at his hands for a moment before he can meet Kyungsoo’s direct gaze again, collecting his thoughts. “If we could go back, would you choose something else? Would you choose me over becoming an idol?”

“Would you?” Kyungsoo challenges instead of answering.

It’s not that he doesn’t want to answer; it’s that he doesn’t know the answer. Would he choose a different path if he could go back, back to before SM and Cube and trainee days? Would he choose to stay with Hyunsik and not break up so they could pursue their separate yet similar careers? He’d be lying if he said he didn’t think about Hyunsik regularly. Not a day goes by that he doesn’t imagine what his life would be like now if he had chosen that other path. Maybe they’d be living together. Maybe they would be thinking about getting married or having kids. Maybe he wouldn’t have to keep his uality as such a closely-guarded secret. There were a lot of maybes in that equation.

“It doesn’t matter,” Hyunsik says with a wistful little sigh. “We can’t go back. We made our choices years ago.”

Kyungsoo smiles sadly. “Yeah, you’re right. But it’s interesting to think about.”

They lapse into a small silence, each lost in memories of the other. That’s all they really have of each other anymore, memories. Memories of their first meeting, when Hyunsik had overheard Kyungsoo singing and decided to become best friends. Memories of playing ball together at the park. Memories of cookouts and sleepovers at each other’s houses. Memories of the first time they kissed, of when Kyungsoo finally got the nerve to confess, or when they made love for the very first time. It’s nice to cocoon themselves in their memories of each other and forget about the real world, if only for a short time.

It is Hyunsik who finally breaks the amicable silence. “I miss you,” he says simply. There is no accusation in his voice, simply an honest and genuine truth.

Kyungsoo squeezes the fingers still laced with his own. “I miss you too,” he smiles. “I wish we could see each other more often.”

“There’s always phone calls and video chats,” Hyunsik suggests with a twinkle in his eye, the same twinkle that had made Kyungsoo fall in love with him in the first place. “I want to hear your voice more. Your voice inspires me to be better.”

Kyungsoo blushes at the compliment. “I think I would like that very much.” He hesitates, then admits, “I’m still in love with you, you know.”

“I know,” Hyunsik nods without pause. “I haven’t stopped loving you for one second. We’re meant for each other.”

Kyungsoo feels the familiar patter in his heart that always accompanies Hyunsik’s unabashed confessions of love. “What does that mean then? That we’re still in love with each other?” He traces patterns absently on the familiar hand holding his, holding his breath for the answer.

Hyunsik smiles warms, love exuding from his eyes as he gazes at Kyungsoo. “We wait,” he says. “We’re not going to be idols forever. At some point our groups will disband and we will leave behind our legacies. And then we’ll be free for each other. Once we’re producers or executives, nobody will care who we’re dating or marrying. And I will wait forever for you.”

There are actual tears stinging Kyungsoo’s eyes and he has to hastily wipe them off on his sleeve. “I’ll wait too,” he promises. “I’ll wait for you too, hyung.”

There is another moment of silence while they fight to keep their emotions under control. As idols, they are taught that they should never show emotion but sometimes it gets to be too much. So they simply sit and don’t talk, enjoying the company they have so missed.

Eventually Hyunsik checks his watch and sighs. “I should get going,” he mumbles. “It’s almost midnight and we have an early schedule tomorrow.”

“Me too,” Kyungsoo agrees, though there is a reluctance settled in the pit of his stomach.

They get to their feet and pay for Hyunsik’s coffee, then leave the shop together. The night is cold as they emerge into it, breath steaming out from between hardly-parted lips. They face each other and pause, eyes lingering, memorizing. Who knows how long it will be before they can see each other in person again.

“I’ll call you tomorrow,” Hyunsik promises, taking both Kyungsoo’s hands in his own. “It’s okay if you can’t answer. I’ll leave you a message. That way you’ll have something to listen to when you have a free moment.”

Kyungsoo smiles even though his eyes are watering again. “I’d like that very much,” he whispers.

Hyunsik’s smile flashes through the darkness and then he is pressing a tender, lingering kiss to Kyungsoo’s lips. “I love you,” he whispers in Kyungsoo’s ear before he pulls away. Then he is waving goodbye and leaving.

Kyungsoo watches him disappear, then turns and heads in the opposite direction. The dorm is dark when he lets himself in, everyone else having already gone to sleep. He showers quickly and gets dressed in his nightclothes, crawling into bed in the room he shares with other members. There is a tear clinging to his eyelashes as he closes his eyes, but he is smiling as well because he knows that Hyunsik is waiting for him. 


For: MiloticHyung

Prompt: Now that they've both debuted, Kyungsoo and Hyunsik find themselves slipping away to visit each other and hang out like old times. I was thinking maybe a past relationship type thing because of how they were friends in high school. 

I hope this meets your expectations! I went in writing this not knowing what I was doing at all and this is the resut lol

And I'm using a gif rather than a picture because there is like NO fanart for this OTP anywhere and I reaaaalllly liked this gif ^^